Gratuities

SailorJack

14 hours ago, Harters said:

I'd be curious to learn the proportion.

On our recent Nautica cruise, we went on two ship's excursions where alcohol was available (to accompany tapas). In both cases, I was the only person not drinking (I am teetotal).

Perhaps your example is merely a case of self selection. I put together three separate winery tours and wine tastings on our South American cruise. All 14-16 drank wine. It was a advertised wine tour.

However, I’d never draw any conclusions from that small group’s participation on how many wine drinkers there was on the ship. The number of people at the repeaters party drinking cola or coffee is a better indicator.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Perhaps your example is merely a case of self selection. I put together three separate winery tours and wine tastings on our South American cruise. All 14-16 drank wine. It was a advertised wine tour.

However, I’d never draw any conclusions from that small group’s participation on how many wine drinkers there was on the ship. The number of people at the repeaters party drinking cola or coffee is a better indicator.

I do not understand your obsession with  the number of people that do not drink or go to bed by 9Pm (do you do bed checks) 

the number of  older people onboard

Who really cares 

some may have  medical issues or just do not drink

some people smoke  many do not

If  Oceania is  so bad  why do you keep booking cruises  with them surely there must be other cruise lines that would suit your lifestyle

Rhetorical question  no  need to reply

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If  Oceania is  so bad  why do you keep booking cruises  with them

As someone who actually goes on cruises, I like to hear the feedback and observations of other people who actually cruise.  Crazy, right?  

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I do not understand your obsession with  the number of people that do not drink or go to bed by 9Pm (do you do bed checks) 

the number of  older people onboard

Who really cares 

some may have  medical issues or just do not drink

some people smoke  many do not

If  Oceania is  so bad  why do you keep booking cruises  with them surely there must be other cruise lines that would suit your lifestyle

Rhetorical question  no  need to reply

Why do you keep posting if you’re not cruising?

You missed the point of the post about Gratuities. That’s what the thread is entitled. I submitted that grats make up a small to minimal portion of the various crews income. Ships are not US restaurants with people working for tips. All crew members have an assigned rank and corresponding pay scale. Their compensation is not variable based on the number of beds sold or the number of adult beverage drinkers aboard. If that was the case, you wouldn’t have many applicants for O ships because of its demographics. The ones you get would only be to get experience so to work on a higher compensation line. Good employees, working for tips, go to where the tips are. Can you understand the correlation? Not drinking and/or going to bed by 9;00 affects overall tipping!!!

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Perhaps your example is merely a case of self selection.

Perhaps so. Perhaps drinkers were more attracted to excursions that mentioned  food. But, as the only tee-totaller, I found it an interesting occurance.

Well this was fun for a Sunday morning!  I thought today was going to be boring talking about tasteless Oceania Cookies.  Or how many won't be using Oceania ANY more because they took away "cruise only" options. No offense, those topic are important to some and has their place on a brands board.  To each his own and this is social media after all. 

Like with tasteless cookies and cruise only, everyone approaches cruising differently.  My money, my wants and needs. When folks like me, who have never cruise Oceania before come to this board, we are very carefully learning what to realistically expect.  We are used to Mainstream Cruise Brand Boards which tend to go all over the place especially because those board have a lot more people posting.   Making a decision to move from, lets say the NCL Haven for me, to Oceania is a big leap.  That is why folks NEW ask so many questions. 

We also observe how people interact on the board assuming those here, have traveled Oceania before and are a member of the faithful.  For me, I did the same thing deep dive on Crystal Cruise before my first cruise and Regent Seven Sea when I was considering it.  Would surprise any of you that the categories on those other board are identical to here. Type of post, members, attitudes and comments were on those boards as well. 

I can't give advice on cruising on Oceania because I have not yet.  I can give my opinion on what happens in the mind of new potential guest to Oceania when the faithful start really picking on each other.  It makes us want to reconsider our booking.  If you like a brand, always be honest for sure.  Debate if you must, a point which is a level of sport on social media.  Please consider, if another poster tends to always annoyed you or you simply don't like their style of posting (Including myself knowing I am a learned taste), use the "Ignore" button.   

Our world is in an interesting place.  A cruise board is one of the last places to engage, enjoy and learn when your hobby is cruising.  Our alternate is Reddit and don't try to talk about any brand other then the top four there.  You will surely be attacked.  Let's eat together, drink soft drinks or adult beverages together and make memories to tell our grand kids together.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Edited by Sthrngary
My spelling is awful
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

... I can't give advice on cruising on Oceania because I have not yet.  I can give my opinion on what happens in the mind of new potential guest to Oceania when the faithful start really picking on each other....

Though one does hope that that those reading these sorts of posts can separate out subjective from objective issues. Does anyone really think the taste (or claimed lack thereof) of O cookies is "objective"? Say what you will about cruise pricing and sales, but "cruise only" is actually an objective issue. The ability to pay for only what you want and do the other things (airfare, excursion, drinks, etc.) as you want.

Sadly, in our modern world, too many people can't separate out the subjective from the objective, confuse the two, and make claims or decisions purely based on the subjective thoughts of others.

1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

^^ Every time I read one of your thoughtful and lovely posts, I wonder why is a nice person like you hanging out in a place like this? 

First thank you. You can thank my stroke on that, LOL.  Also my awesome wife for correcting me for 44 years.  It takes a while but I learn.  Crazy right, a 66 year old that can learn.  Who what have thought???? I assure you, I know how to be are really angry person.  It is like riding a bike.  When I do a long and draw out post, I write it.  Wait a bit, read it and correct it.  When I see the old GARY coming I make corrections or delete.  

But it is so nice for anyone, anytime to provide a complement like you did to me, Thank you.

Edited by Sthrngary
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Like with tasteless cookies and cruise only, everyone approaches cruising differently.  My money, my wants and needs.

Gary -- the point of the tasteless cookies is make the coffee taste better.   Enjoy your Sunday..  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

11 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Why do you keep posting if you’re not cruising?

You missed the point of the post about Gratuities. That’s what the thread is entitled. I submitted that grats make up a small to minimal portion of the various crews income. Ships are not US restaurants with people working for tips. All crew members have an assigned rank and corresponding pay scale. Their compensation is not variable based on the number of beds sold or the number of adult beverage drinkers aboard. If that was the case, you wouldn’t have many applicants for O ships because of its demographics. The ones you get would only be to get experience so to work on a higher compensation line. Good employees, working for tips, go to where the tips are. Can you understand the correlation? Not drinking and/or going to bed by 9;00 affects overall tipping!!!

Thank you for clarifying. This goes back to my earlier question - why not roll the 20% for drinks into the price per if the crew members serving see none of it?  Answer, goes to O’s ( or any other line who does this) bottom line. But, again, their company, their rules. Simple or not. 

Regarding tee totalers on small ships. We sure didn’t notice that on the 450 pax Seabourn ship we recently sailed on. Maybe it was an anomaly, but I have to say, alcohol was free flowing. In the majority of tables, venues, it was a nice atmosphere without the craziness of large ships and party crazy alcohol crowds. So IDK. Can’t yet comment on O. 

12 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you for clarifying. This goes back to my earlier question - why not roll the 20% for drinks into the price per if the crew members serving see none of it?  Answer, goes to O’s ( or any other line who does this) bottom line

I believe that the bar gratuity goes to the bar staff.  That's because the daily gratuity goes only to the housekeeping and restaurant staff (the butler gets the add on).  

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I believe that the bar gratuity goes to the bar staff.  That's because the daily gratuity goes only to the housekeeping and restaurant staff (the butler gets the add on).  

Well that is a good answer. Thank you! 

19 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Not all goes to the housekeeping . & restaurant staff. Some goes to laundry as well as the people who cook our meals. The waitstaff & room attendants do get the majority as you interact more directly with them. There is a book(waiting for new ones to come ou) called the "Berlitz Guide to cruise ships & cruising" It's sometimes called the "cruisers bible". Virtually all questions on nearly everything cruising can be found here.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Not all goes to the housekeeping . & restaurant staff. Some goes to laundry as well as the people who cook our meals. The waitstaff & room attendants do get the majority as you interact more directly with them. There is a book(waiting for new ones to come ou) called the "Berlitz Guide to cruise ships & cruising" It's sometimes called the "cruisers bible". Virtually all questions on nearly everything cruising can be found here.

Sorry, I didn't mean to exclude the others that benefit from the daily gratuity.  I was simply trying to explain that the bar staff is among those who don't benefit from them, and that gratuity on drinks is meant for them.  Thanks for the information about the "cruisers bible."

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Usually cooks   are on a salary  do not  participate in the  tip pool

Unlike land based restaurants  where they may get part of the tips

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

No  there is usually a couple 

they work shifts 

some also work in Toscana  or other restaurants

Thanks. Our first O cruise this Fall. Just trying to figure out everything, or most everything. 🙂

• Like 1

If you go Baristas at approximately the same time every day as other coffee drinkers (addicts) you will probably see the same servers. They will get to know you and your regular order, it is always nice to give them something extra at the end of the cruise, especially if you have a difficult custom order. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Most cruise lines  operated the same way

Many people skipped the dining room on the last  night  when the envelopes were handed out  to the waitstaff

The cruise lines then started with  adding the daily gratuity rate to  pax accounts

Pax  that did not want to pay those  went to the desk & asked to have them removed

Ever notice the long line at reception the last night of the cruise ...they were not lining up to say their goodbyes to the staff there 🙄

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Cruise lines have no motivation to explain their compensation policies.

Correct. Nor do they have any obligation to satisfy our curiosity. For some lines, their compensation structure may represent a competitive advantage in attracting and retaining top crew talent.

Their job is to figure out how to find and keep quality personnel. My job is to decide if the total cost of my cruise represents appropriate value to me.🍺🥌

• Like 5

On 7/11/2023 at 10:11 AM, jackdeb said:

If you go Baristas at approximately the same time every day as other coffee drinkers (addicts) you will probably see the same servers. They will get to know you and your regular order, it is always nice to give them something extra at the end of the cruise, especially if you have a difficult custom order. 

My husband is Coeliac and is often assigned a person to oversee his menu choices. He has regularly tipped the person concerned. 

• Like 2