Gratuities

SailorJack

And 20% automatically added on already high priced alcoholic drinks. Even by the expensive standards of the UK, this is eye-wateringly expensive. Thankfully, I don't  drink and my partner only sparingly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Harters said:

And 20% automatically added on already high priced alcoholic drinks. Even by the expensive standards of the UK, this is eye-wateringly expensive. Thankfully, I don't  drink and my partner only sparingly.

Also applied to any bottle of wine that’s purchased, which seems excessive given the markup, but also given that the service associated with a $150 bottle is the same as the service for a  $75 bottle.

6 hours ago, vlthom said:

Also applied to any bottle of wine that’s purchased, which seems excessive given the markup, but also given that the service associated with a $150 bottle is the same as the service for a  $75 bottle.

Excellent point! Most sophisticated diners at fine dining establishments tip a certain amount on the food price ( excluding taxes) and then a set amount per bottle of wine regardless of cost. While the food service might garnish a 20% tip, both a $100 bottle of wine or a $750 bottle will bring an additional $20-$25. Only the Whales tip $20-25% on the total bill amount! 😂. The well greased even tip on the tax amount! 🤪

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DrHemlock said:

Occasionally guilty as charged, Your Honor, dependent upon the quantity of lubricant applied to the mental hinges.

😂

It happens regularly! People with a $200 bill plus $20 in taxes will tip on the taxes. Here’s an extra $5 tip for charging me tax! 😂🥂🥂

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

😂

It happens regularly! People with a $200 bill plus $20 in taxes will tip on the taxes. Here’s an extra $5 tip for charging me tax! 😂🥂🥂

Plus 1.  We base our tip on the amount before taxes, being careful about the charge for any alcohol purchases.  If the restaurant offers a "suggested" tip, presumably to make it easier on the customer to determine the appropriate amount, we look closely at the amount on which the "suggested" tip is based before accepting the "suggestion."

Thank goodness we live in Switzerland.   All service charges on all services including restaurant and bar bills are automatically included in the menu price.  So are taxes.  And this since 1971.  We do add something - in a restaurant we go to often and know the staff we add 5% but that's that.  A restaurant we haven's been to - more like 3% outside of the main cities.  There it is 5%.   I have a hard time imagining a 20% tip OR taxes not being included in the published prices...  And BTW all waiters, bar staff etc etc here are paid a proper salary with 4 weeks paid vacation a year and have health insurance (very good coverage actually).

• Like 4

On 7/3/2023 at 1:43 PM, pinotlover said:

The well greased even tip on the tax amount!

Of course, those of us who live in countries where the tax is already incorporated into the menu price, will usually tip, or pay the service charge, on the full amount. Here, in the UK, sales tax (VAT) is there at 20%.

6 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Thank goodness we live in Switzerland.   All service charges on all services including restaurant and bar bills are automatically included in the menu price.  So are taxes.  And this since 1971.  We do add something - in a restaurant we go to often and know the staff we add 5% but that's that.  A restaurant we haven's been to - more like 3% outside of the main cities.  There it is 5%.   I have a hard time imagining a 20% tip OR taxes not being included in the published prices...  And BTW all waiters, bar staff etc etc here are paid a proper salary with 4 weeks paid vacation a year and have health insurance (very good coverage actually).

Of course it's the third most expensive country to live in, so, all of that comes at a price. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes it does.  But at least things here are fair.  And workers have proper vacation time, health insurance etc.  (And actually things here are not nearly as expensive as they seem IF you know what is included or not!  Sales tax for starters...)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

This set amount of $23/person/day then get divided up among all the crew?  Does anybody tip on top of that, say to your butler?

The way I understand it

The  $18 pp pd  divided up for   wait staff/housekeeping pool

$5 extra PPPD go to the Butler pool

I believe  several people reported they tip their butler  extra

We often give the housekeeping  cabin staff  an envelope  with  some extra $$  with a note of thanks

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

The way I understand it

The  $18 pp pd  divided up for   wait staff/housekeeping pool

$5 extra PPPD go to the Butler pool

I believe  several people reported they tip their butler  extra

We often give the housekeeping  cabin staff  an envelope  with  some extra $$  with a note of thanks

Is it expected to tip the extra amount in cash?  We have an Owners Suite and we are traveling with 4 other couples, and we plan to make our suite party central, so our butler will be quite busy!  I figure I better reward him appropriately.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

Is it expected to tip the extra amount in cash?  We have an Owners Suite and we are traveling with 4 other couples, and we plan to make our suite party central, so our butler will be quite busy!  I figure I better reward him appropriately.

In the top suite you will have one of the best butlers available. Since you will be using them extensively, an extra tip will certainly be appreciated (and most likely earned).
If you were in a penthouse wondering what in the world you'll have a butler do, then no, you probably would not tip extra.

1 hour ago, PinonNoir said:

This set amount of $23/person/day then get divided up among all the crew?  Does anybody tip on top of that, say to your butler?

We tipped out butler and housekeeping staff on top of the $23 per day gratuities. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I do not think they take credit cards  but you never know 🤔

Venmo! No, seriously...cash. There has been no way to tip an individual via your shipboard account.

Oops, just realized I need to add @PinonNoir

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PinonNoir said:

Does anybody tip on top of that, say to your butler?

We didnt on our recent cruise. But then, like my fellow European Hambagahle, I come from a country where a cash tipping culture no longer really applies. I regarded the automatic $23 gratuity as simply an incorporated cost of the cruise, just as I do for a service charge added to a restaurant meal.

• Like 2

Good Morning Everyone:

I have 125 days to my embarkment. I am very excited. Every morning I wake up, get a cup of coffee, a really good one, and open my computer.  The first place I look is CruiseCritic.com.  Where 1.5 year in advance does not make me excited about a cruise, 125 days does.  The morning coffee in a few short months will be delivered with fresh pastries in the morning so when we get up, we smell coffee.  Seems like a realistic morning thought these days.  

On to gratuities.  Prior to going to a country outside of the United States, I study the culture.  All aspects because I feel like I am a guest in a new and exciting land. I did this habit in my extensive travel all my life for business. I learn a few key words, I have places to go and things to eat.  I know things like don't order Cappuccino after 11 am in Italy, but you can order Expresso anything. Tipping and gratuities is always a part of the due diligences.  

Yet, on a cruise ship and in a visiting country are two different things.  Cruising has some personal history and unwritten rules.  Some of them I have no idea where they came from.  Other make complete sense.  In my mind, which many say is simply not right (Usually my family), the Covid cruise pause changed a lot.  Many cruise team members were out of work in countries where work and income is difficult in the best of times. This sets up my comment on gratuities.  Many of us on this board are so blessed in every way.  We might look for a bargain, promotions, Sales or debate when the price strategy of a cruise brand goes up.  However, many of us are still blessed.  

I break all the rules on cruising and have for quite a long time.  I tip my Butler with a butler letter the moment I meet them.  I learned this when working in Europe especially Germany.  My Germany client insisting on getting my invoice three weeks before I arrived.  At breakfast on day one, he would hand me my check for payment in Full.  He said, it will make me give the extra mile knowing he trusted me enough to pay me upfront.  My experience only, not anyone else and I loved this client. 

My tip for my butler is usually $150-$200 for a 10-day cruise.  It is given in the envelope of the Butler Letter.  I never really ask for anything really special in the letter.  Just a brief history of my wife and me, food allergies and maybe coffee in the morning and salty snacks.  I have been both complemented and criticized on my approach here on CruiseCritic.com.  The butlers seem to not be offended though.  Funny thing about that. I have found that a great butler can make our trip.  I thank Erin, our butler on Crystal Cruise for setting the bar.  

I hope every one has a great morning, a great cup of coffee and have a positive day.  Focus on the good stuff and let the bad stuff roll off your shoulders like water off a duck.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1