Costa Maya pier

basser

The port area is way better than it was just a couple years ago. And they seem to be increasing the number of vendors. 

Taxi to town to hang out at the Krazy Lobster, reasonable. $15ish depending on your negotiating skills. 

1 hour ago, neverbeenhere said:

The port area is way better than it was just a couple years ago. And they seem to be increasing the number of vendors. 

Taxi to town to hang out at the Krazy Lobster, reasonable. $15ish depending on your negotiating skills. 

The going rate is actually $4 pp currently so it depends on how many in your party, but $8 each way for a couple. Considering the distance involved I don’t consider the rate reasonable. It is double what it was pre-Covid.

$16 each way for a family to go to the short distance to the beach is ridiculous IMO. 

Edited by c-leg5

32 minutes ago, volk904 said:

We went to the Krazy Lobster and rode the pier shuttle back to the ship.  I hate the way they force you to walk through the port village to get a cab.  

I agree it is a long walk along the pier and THEN through the shops, but actually having to walk through the shops to a taxi is no different from a lot of ports

Edited by c-leg5

5 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I wouldn't mind it so much if the vendors weren't so aggressive. Sometimes it borders on assault.

Assault?  
They can be a  bit pushy, but generally a simple, “no thank you” is sufficient. 
m

Edited by cruisegirl1

It has not run either time we were there last year.  I have a knee with issues (injury 4 years ago, but still "tight") and I have walked the pier both times.   Also, when we've been there, there have been several ships and only ONE shuttle that holds maybe 15 people, (20 at most) and it only runs on the main pier.  We've been down the side pier both times so you have to walk that distance just to get to the shuttle, if it's running.

We were there in June.  The shuttle was running.  The vendors were more aggressive then the ones in Cozumel.  Just saying no was sometimes not enough and they would continue to harass you.  The aviary is very nice.

Edited by Keksie

8 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Assault?  
They can be a  bit pushy, but generally a simple, “no thank you” is sufficient. 
m

I said...BORDERS on assault.

And after being followed and loudly talked to by 1 vendor, and another grabbing my arm outside her store...I would consider that bordering on assault. Verbal or physical. Take your pick.

Edited by Bailey & Sophie

On 7/3/2023 at 6:49 AM, Keksie said:

We were there in June.  The shuttle was running.  The vendors were more aggressive then the ones in Cozumel.  Just saying no was sometimes not enough and they would continue to harass you.  The aviary is very nice.

Is there an Aviary at the pot? Is it free? or ?

10 hours ago, merinski said:

Is there an Aviary at the pot? Is it free? or ?

There is an aviary at the port.  I think it was $14.00 each.  It is built in sections with sky bridges between each.  Beautiful birds.

We were there in April, the tram wasn't running that day. The port is nice and they are continuing to work on more vendors being there and building as you go out of the port.

The aviary is very nice with so many pretty birds! It was $14/pp and well worth the money. HERE is my review of our day there (just scroll to the bottom for pictures of the aviary...before that we had went diving). We spent a lot of time in the aviary (it's self-guided) because my daughter loves birds.

On 7/12/2023 at 6:32 AM, mitsugirly said:

We were there in April, the tram wasn't running that day. The port is nice and they are continuing to work on more vendors being there and building as you go out of the port.

The aviary is very nice with so many pretty birds! It was $14/pp and well worth the money. HERE is my review of our day there (just scroll to the bottom for pictures of the aviary...before that we had went diving). We spent a lot of time in the aviary (it's self-guided) because my daughter loves birds.

Thank you for the link to your great review. We have never been to Costa Maya and are going in Jan. The aviary sounds good. Would you say it's not really a good place to snorkel there? We like snorkeling. 

Is there any other things you would recomend? Oh I must say your Daughter's photography is very good! Can I ask what camera's you have for underwater? We have had a hard time finding a good one, but that doesn't have too high a price... Thanks

On 7/13/2023 at 6:37 PM, merinski said:

Thank you for the link to your great review. We have never been to Costa Maya and are going in Jan. The aviary sounds good. Would you say it's not really a good place to snorkel there? We like snorkeling. 

Is there any other things you would recomend? Oh I must say your Daughter's photography is very good! Can I ask what camera's you have for underwater? We have had a hard time finding a good one, but that doesn't have too high a price... Thanks

IMO there's not much snorkeling from shore in CM. It used to be pretty good at Blue Kay, but when we went, it was mostly gone and I was disappointed after going there many times. There's a reef off the shore, which is great for diving, but doubtful for snorkeling. Maybe someone else has a better option I don't know about. We did go to Almaplena years ago and there's a reef off of that beach you have to swim out to. I've never done it but my husband did once.

Thanks for the comments on my daughters photography. She loves photography like her momma. 🙂 

Our camera's we used are the Olympus Tough camera's and GoPro for the movies. We've had them for years now and absolutely love them (we keep upgrading over the years as new ones come out). Well worth the money we've spent over the years for the great pictures. 

5 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

IMO there's not much snorkeling from shore in CM. It used to be pretty good at Blue Kay, but when we went, it was mostly gone and I was disappointed after going there many times. There's a reef off the shore, which is great for diving, but doubtful for snorkeling. Maybe someone else has a better option I don't know about. We did go to Almaplena years ago and there's a reef off of that beach you have to swim out to. I've never done it but my husband did once.

Thanks for the comments on my daughters photography. She loves photography like her momma. 🙂 

Our camera's we used are the Olympus Tough camera's and GoPro for the movies. We've had them for years now and absolutely love them (we keep upgrading over the years as new ones come out). Well worth the money we've spent over the years for the great pictures. 

Thank you

We ported in Costa Maya earlier this month.  There was a tram that seemed to be running, occasionally.  I watched from our balcony when we first got there, and there was no rhyme or reason to how often the tram might appear.  Additionally, there were two ships at port, and there was no possible way that you could guarantee you would get a seat on the tram.

By the time we left the ship, the tram was no where in site.  But when we were returning on our walk to the ship, we did see the tram moving slowly through the passenger traffic.