I thought I wouldn't miss 2x a day room cleaning... I was wrong.

28 minutes ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

Best is to pay for a service I actually receive. If I pay for 2 cleanings a day, I expect 2 cleanings a day. And if you think that anyone in management cares about what is on a comment card/survey you are sadly mistaken.

BTW, paying for the service received is not "screwing" anyone over, no matter how much you think it is. Paying for a service I do not receive is screwing me over though.

Well, then do it your way.  I'm sure no one will feel "screwed."  🤪

10 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

That's a valid point, but I've been told if they get caught holding back those tips, it is cause for immediate dismissal.  From what I've been told.

Honesty and integrity are not dead. In my job, we are a team, and tips/gratuities/whatever you want to call them go into a pool. If anyone was caught keeping cash, they would be excoriated and fired. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

Honesty and integrity are not dead. In my job, we are a team, and tips/gratuities/whatever you want to call them go into a pool. If anyone was caught keeping cash, they would be excoriated and fired. 

Just wondered, did anyone else have to look up the word, "excoriated"? Never heard that one! LOL! I had the right idea of the meaning but wanted to make sure it wasn't similar to executed!😲 Haha!

• Haha 3

Also, I didn't want to scroll through all of these posts, so I apologize if this question has already been asked: Do the cabin stewards prefer a certain time of day to clean or do you ask for a preferred time? TIA!

30 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

Also, I didn't want to scroll through all of these posts, so I apologize if this question has already been asked: Do the cabin stewards prefer a certain time of day to clean or do you ask for a preferred time? TIA!

They ask you what your preference is.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

I don't know that I have ever asked what their preference is.  However, we always tell them, "we don't care.  Come when it's most convenient for you" and so far, the attendant has always chosen evenings.

• Thanks 1

As a parent with 2 young kids in the room, trash can accumulate. Having extra trash service (2xs a day) would be great and also having the stewards open and close the beds should be given. I dont need a full cleaning 2xs a day (nor do a I need new towels twice a day) but having trash and beds made is something I miss. 

I think Royal (and other lines) need to figure out a balance that pleases everyone. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wineaux007 said:

Only have to turn over cash tips if auto grats are removed.  If you leave on auto grats, any extra you give the cabin attendant, they get to keep.  

Unsubstantiated  and unpoliceable . Very few people would turn in tips becuse they were told they have to 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PACrew said:

As a parent with 2 young kids in the room, trash can accumulate. Having extra trash service (2xs a day) would be great and also having the stewards open and close the beds should be given. I dont need a full cleaning 2xs a day (nor do a I need new towels twice a day) but having trash and beds made is something I miss. 

I think Royal (and other lines) need to figure out a balance that pleases everyone. 

I agree, but I don’t think they care about a balance that pleases every guest. Under the old system, if someone wanted once a day, all they had to do was ask and they would get it. And others would get their 2x a day. 

Now, those who want once a day still get it and the others get the once a day too. 

Our stateroom attendant on Oasis now has 25 rooms. They used to have 12-13 or so. 24 once-days are more work than 12 twice-days. 

The premise is simple. Royal cares about needing less people. Period. 

We will strongly mention it in the survey and it will fall on deaf ears. And the Frosted Flakes that my grandson accidently spilled in his cabin yesterday around noon will stay on the floor until this morning.😂.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

Unsubstantiated  and unpoliceable . Very few people would turn in tips becuse they were told they have to 

Sorry you live in such a society of dishonest people. My experience says otherwise. More people can be trusted than not. A certain segment of society——no.

Maybe cruise employees are more trustworthy than the passengers.

5 hours ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

Best is to pay for a service I actually receive. If I pay for 2 cleanings a day, I expect 2 cleanings a day. And if you think that anyone in management cares about what is on a comment card/survey you are sadly mistaken.

BTW, paying for the service received is not "screwing" anyone over, no matter how much you think it is. Paying for a service I do not receive is screwing me over though.

But the industry or CL standard is one cleaning which you are paying for. Twice is an extra for which you should expect to tip more. You’re no longer paying for two. I usually only expected once a day but never cut the gratuities. Neither do I cut them because I keep my space clean and tidy, reuse my towel and don’t pile up garbage. I know how to crush a can or bottle before putting it in the trash.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nferr said:

I often stay in hotels more than one night, especially if I'm on vacation or just doing a long weekend somewhere. Most hotels don't touch your room anymore unless you have a special request. Twice a day is pretty ridiculous when you think about it.

I've already responded to this post about Royal's once a day cleaning.  I think for the most part, once a day cleaning is just fine.  There are times though when an additional tidying up is appreciated.  This post is about hotel service.  We recently stayed at a hotel that had resumed daily housekeeping.  What a joy!  No calling for extra towels, coffee pods, TP, or finding a place to get rid of extra trash.  We came back to a clean, freshened room each day.  On the one day we didn't need service, we left the privacy hangar on the door when we went out.  We came back to find a message that said they couldn't clean our room that day due to the sign and that if we needed anything to please give them a call.  How refreshing is that?!  MORE service than expected.  Will I choose to stay at this hotel again?  YES!!  BTW....this hotel has an option to opt out of daily housekeeping if you choose. That's a win, win in my book.  Prices are climbing and services and quality are being cut.  I think we have compromised too much at this point to allow companies to rebound. Just my opinion. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

Granted, I have never tried removing only part of the gratuities on Royal (never had a need to) but I have been doing that routinely on Carnival since Carnival went to only 1 cleaning a day when they restarted after Covid. Something I will have to look into. Thank you for the heads up.

@Biker19 is correct, the "auto gratuity" is an all or nothing affair.   Just remove it entirely.

8 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

If you remove gratuities altogether and just tip those who you feel deserve it, you actually end up screwing them as it has been reported that they must turn in those gratuities to the tipping pool.  Best to leave on the auto grats and complain to management via the comment cards/survey.

Urban myth, i always remove the auto tip, everyone I have handed cash too just slip it in their pocket.  Many have said they prefer this system, they do MUCH better 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SilkySal said:

I certainly had the feeling that our cabin steward on our Ovation cruise last month preferred the morning clean.  I think he actually phrased it as "would it be ok if he cleans in the morning?".  I don't mind the once-a-day cleaning but I will be asking for ice twice a day. 

Beth

35 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Urban myth, i always remove the auto tip, everyone I have handed cash too just slip it in their pocket.  Many have said they prefer this system, they do MUCH better 

I don't know what's true or not, but what did you expect them to do with the cash?  Keep it in their hands until they put it in the pool?  What a strange "fact" to base a theory on. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

And what about all the workers behind the scenes that get no tip because you removed it. They do MUCH worse. I bet they don't prefer your system.

Edited by nferr

3 hours ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

I don't know who you've been sailing with but in my past 22 years on Carnival and past 18 years on Royal, the "standard" has always been 2 cleanings (or 1 cleaning and 1 tidy up") per day. Period. Without changing the gratuities I am still paying for two but now I'm only expecting 1. That is a problem, to me. What your expectations are or what you do in your cabin are immaterial to me.

I don’t know where you have been sailing since the restart but once a day is standard (with extras like ice whenever requested). This is what you are “paying” for.

3 hours ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

I will verify on board but if that is what I need to do, then I'll remove one of ours and leave the other on.

So you plan on stiffing all the other tipped positions. Or are you planning on eating only once a day too. When you had twice a day, not every service was repeated in the evening so you are still getting more than half what you did before the change. Prices have gone up for everything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, SilkySal said:

Not sure of the preference, but apparently more people choose morning, I've heard some say the attendants tell or ask them to please do evening if possible because the morning has been chosen by so many others already. I'm good with that- I'd rather have the beds ready FOR bed, I don't care that they aren't all made up and tidy during the day when we are in and out

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

Only have to turn over cash tips if auto grats are removed.  If you leave on auto grats, any extra you give the cabin attendant, they get to keep.  

There was a huge tipping thread before and it came up a lot whether the attendant could keep the cash or had to put it in a pool. Normally I wouldn’t ask what they had to do, but with so much controversy I decided to. Directly from my cabin attendant she said she got to keep it all. I didn’t ask if it made a difference if the auto grats were removed because I left them in place and it didn’t occur to me.

6 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

I don’t know where you have been sailing since the restart but once a day is standard (with extras like ice whenever requested). This is what you are “paying” for.

So you plan on stiffing all the other tipped positions. Or are you planning on eating only once a day too. When you had twice a day, not every service was repeated in the evening so you are still getting more than half what you did before the change. Prices have gone up for everything.

Not sure where you have been sailing, but the once a day didn’t start until this year. I had been on about 27 cruises since the restart which had twice a day cleanings and 4 since the once a day started. They also increased the auto grats around this time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

There was a huge tipping thread before and it came up a lot whether the attendant could keep the cash or had to put it in a pool. Normally I wouldn’t ask what they had to do, but with so much controversy I decided to. Directly from my cabin attendant she said she got to keep it all. I didn’t ask if it made a difference if the auto grats were removed because I left them in place and it didn’t occur to me.

Not sure where you have been sailing, but the once a day didn’t start until this year. I had been on about 27 cruises since the restart which had twice a day cleanings and 4 since the once a day started. They also increased the auto grats around this time.

Jan 2022 Carnival and many more since

15 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Question: The ones that you say have said that they "prefer this system", do they know that you removed their auto gratuities?