Solarium pool questions

Please don't bash me. I work with special needs kids I love kids and I only have time to cruise in summer when kids are everywhere...that said...

On FOS is the solarium pool adults only? Is it a covered pool or can I still get sun. How often are the rules broken and the area is full of kids? 

I'm aware royal is family friendly we've done 8 cruises with them so far. I've even gone on one cruise that one of my severely autistic students was on the same ship🤦‍♀️ haha what were the chances. 

We've never used the solarium pool but I'm thinking it might be time. 

Solarium pool is age 16 and over. Most solarium areas have food areas that are not adult so kids are walking thru all the time. The solarium area for meals is not adult, some ships have pizza and other snacks next to the solarium pool. 

Rcl is not the best place to have adult quiet. Some other lines have more private areas.

The Solarium is 16+ on all ships & as someone who sails almost exclusively in the summer (wife is a teacher) & prefers the Solarium to the main pool for various reasons, I’ve never had a problem with underage kids in one.

Just keep in mind it’s a small pool. We don’t even use the pool; just the loungers & hot tubs from time to time.

There is no food venue in the Solarium on Freedom class so you don’t have to worry about that, but even on other ships I’ve never been bothered by kids walking through to get food or to the elevators.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just on her sister Liberty and there were kids 12-16 in the pool and solarium area all day. They were not half as bad as the damn speakers people need to play loud enough that all the  peace and quiet you want has long gone. I don’t know why it’s so hard to act proper in common areas. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stick93 said:

Just on her sister Liberty and there were kids 12-16 in the pool and solarium area all day

16 year olds are allowed in the solarium.  as for the others, why didn't you speak up?  we had this problem on Explorer back in May. Stopped by Guest services and the problem was fixed. 

• Like 7

I love the Solarium and have never seen kids in it, I would definitely speak up, can’t adults have one place sans kids? I travel with my special needs daughter ( 38 years old) so I don’t often get to use the pool/ tubs but when I do I just park her wheelchair in the shade and hop in for a few minutes. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

How often are the rules broken and the area is full of kids? 

Rules aren't rules if people break them.  There are two full pools for those with kids and a dedicated kiddie pool and park.  Isn't that enough?  Leave the solarium for adults, we deserve it.

• Like 10

For cool weather cruises (Alaska and Canada/New England), there were family hours posted for the solarium pool, but it was minimal.  Maybe a short time in the morning and another time slot in the afternoon.   It was posted in the Cruise Compass each day.  

• Like 2

Dozens of cruises and except for a few bad weather/cold weather days,  the Solarium pool was adults only.  And, strictly enforced by staff.    A hand full of times of over 35 years cruising RCCL, there was a publicized short, designated time when those under 16 could use the pool.  

Seems children in the solarium ( not pool) is not enforced on embarkation day as many are looking for an area to wait till cabins open. No problem. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

How often are the rules broken and the area is full of kids? . 

Hardly ever to never.  

Enjoy the solarium.  But as noted in another post, be aware that some blast personal speakers. Or, others scream across the hot tub.  It is no longer a quiet zone.   I wear noise cancelling air pods. 

M

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Solarium pool is age 16 and over. Most solarium areas have food areas that are not adult so kids are walking thru all the time. The solarium area for meals is not adult, some ships have pizza and other snacks next to the solarium pool. 

Rcl is not the best place to have adult quiet. Some other lines have more private areas.

Yes I know.  I know what we're getting into. Kids don't bother me . 22 years as a Paraprofessional in a multi handicapped school I'm use to kids. That said IF there is a spot to get away from some of the splashing and screaming I'll take it. We love royal caribbean we've done 1 HAL, and 1 MSC but we prefer royal. We're getting a bit older 56 & 58 and our kids are grown. Just looking for a spot to relax without as much excitement as the main pool. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

Yes I know.  I know what we're getting into. Kids don't bother me . 22 years as a Paraprofessional in a multi handicapped school I'm use to kids. That said IF there is a spot to get away from some of the splashing and screaming I'll take it. We love royal caribbean we've done 1 HAL, and 1 MSC but we prefer royal. We're getting a bit older 56 & 58 and our kids are grown. Just looking for a spot to relax without as much excitement as the main pool. 

I do find it harder to find a shady quiet spot on these new bigger ships. I'm older than you and supposed to avoid direct sun. 

I only mentioned the adult rule doesnt apply to the solarium area where you eat because I see people all the time complaining about kids in there. 

15 hours ago, firefly333 said:

We absolutely LOVE Anthem solarium. We live there. Even with 1350 kids during thanksgivings it’s a quiet adultplace. It’s the best for us, but also enjoy Oasis, Liberty, Adventure and so on.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Stick93 said:

Just on her sister Liberty and there were kids 12-16 in the pool and solarium area all day. They were not half as bad as the damn speakers people need to play loud enough that all the  peace and quiet you want has long gone. I don’t know why it’s so hard to act proper in common areas. 

We had the same issue on Liberty. The 20 something groups blasting music on their speakers above the piped in music in the hot tubs of the solarium and young kids throughout the seating areas of the solarium. I blame management for not policing the area and enforcing rules.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, crazyank said:

16 year olds are allowed in the solarium.  as for the others, why didn't you speak up?  we had this problem on Explorer back in May. Stopped by Guest services and the problem was fixed. 

Yes, 16 and up are allowed.  My 16-year-old son will be with us in the solarium this upcoming week on our Alaskan cruise, as well as his 19 and 21 year old sisters. He is well behaved.  I’ve never had a problem with solarium guests on all of our cruises.

If there were under age kids, being loud and splashing, I would say something to management and I’m fairly confident that it would be addressed.

The loud Bluetooth speakers are far more annoying.  Different cruise line but I’m pretty sure Carnival even banned them. 

There was a group of about six adults in the hot tub inside the solarium on the Explorer last year.  They had an unhappy infant in there with them, and laughed every time she/he screamed.  We gathered up our things to leave and by the time we passed the hot tub, the baby was gone and there were two people from Security talking to the remaining adults in the group. 

Off-topic:  That was the cruise we saw Security in action four times. Some people next to us were kicked off the island when two large groups (15-20 each) clashed on Labadee.  They visited the cabin next door to us with two very minor children (approximately 5 and 9 years old) who were screaming and jumping against the walls from one bed to the other after 11 p.m., while their parents enjoyed their own cabin 6-8 cabins down the hall. And there was a chair sitting outside another cabin for a Security member the last 36 hours of the cruise. 

53 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

There was a group of about six adults in the hot tub inside the solarium on the Explorer last year.  They had an unhappy infant in there with them, and laughed every time she/he screamed.  We gathered up our things to leave and by the time we passed the hot tub, the baby was gone and there were two people from Security talking to the remaining adults in the group. 

Off-topic:  That was the cruise we saw Security in action four times. Some people next to us were kicked off the island when two large groups (15-20 each) clashed on Labadee.  They visited the cabin next door to us with two very minor children (approximately 5 and 9 years old) who were screaming and jumping against the walls from one bed to the other after 11 p.m., while their parents enjoyed their own cabin 6-8 cabins down the hall. And there was a chair sitting outside another cabin for a Security member the last 36 hours of the cruise. 

Sounds like a Carnival cruise 😧😧

I do wish they would enforce their own rules. A lot of them are there to make it enjoyable for the majority. 

(puts on fire suit) including  the dress code when they actually had one.

We've been on a cruise where babies were in the hot tub. Forget just the diaper it's not good for a baby neither the heat nor the chemicals. This family was in there for HOURS! At one point took the baby out to change it's diaper!

We were on another where a person put a flip on one chair a flop on the next a child's book on one a tube of lotion and so on to hold the entire front row of seats by the pool. We waited at least an hour ( it was a sea day) and finally my husband married the flip with the flop and we took two seats ( there were several seats with just one shoe lol). We sat there for about 2 hours before part of the family came out started screaming and cursing at us. Said they went to breakfast then back to their rooms to change. Then said where will the rest of our family sit when they get here. No joke they screamed at us for quite some time. Even continued in another language lol. Security told them they couldn't save chairs. They didn't care. They screamed at Security. 

• Haha 1

I was thinking the same… Infants or even toddlers should not be in whirlpools due to health hazards. Parents just want to enjoy their vacation without thinking about their poor babies. Unacceptable 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Longstockingpippi1 said:

Sounds like a Carnival cruise 😧😧

Say what you will, but there doesn’t appear to be much difference between this situation, and what we’ve seen on other cruise lines. Apparently, Royal Caribbean passengers are no better or respectful than any other cruise line. 

sad 

m

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

Even continued in another language lol. Security told them they couldn't save chairs. They didn't care. They screamed at Security. 

Not sure I understand your point about screaming in another language. Are you saying they were from another country?  Perhaps they  didn’t understand the signage?  

m

Edited by cruisegirl1