Dinner at sailaway?

penguin18

If you want to attend the sailaway party then yes, change your reservation.  Seems pretty simple.

Is this your first time cruising?  If so, I would attend the sailaway events.

p.s.  Welcome to Cruise Critic.  😉

• Like 4

I agree with Cole. OP doesn't mention the port, but if it's your first cruise, and you've never experienced a sailaway party, then do it. Ditto if its a particularly scenic Harbour (like Sydney).

1 hour ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Not at all bothered for sailaway 'parties' ... the bonus in booking a table at the same time is a quiet restaurant 🙂

Sometimes being able to see the port as you sail out  is worth postponing dinner - it depends upon the port.  New York (Manhattan), certainly - Fort Lauderdale or Miami, not so much. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, penguin18 said:

Yes, it's our first cruse, and we're leaving from Athens. I think I'll move the reservation so we can get some pictures leaving the port. Thank you all for the responses!

It may be interesting - but Piraeus (the actual port ) shows little of what people think of as Athens.

Sailing from Piraeus is a rather quick exercise.

Takes about 20 minutes to get outside.

As soon as you clear the breakwater you will see a rather desolate island in front of you.

That is the largest sewage treatment plant in Europe.

Be sure to get a photo.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2023 at 12:13 PM, penguin18 said:

Yes, it's our first cruse, and we're leaving from Athens. I think I'll move the reservation so we can get some pictures leaving the port. Thank you all for the responses!

Welcome to cruising!  Just take it all in and discover for yourself what you like and don't like.  I personally like to be on deck when the ship leaves a port.  I also like late dining times generally as I never feel the rush to get ready for dinner.  That's what works for me and I am sure you will discover what works for you.

• Like 1

When you picture that moment, sailing away on your first night of a new adventure, what do you see?

Are you enjoying a beautiful restaurant dinner with a nice glass of wine to celebrate?

Or your on your private balcony, just the two of you as you watch the city slowly slip away, with a nice glass of wine and maybe a cheese plate?

Or are you on deck with others, enjoying the festive atmosphere with a nice glass of wine and some appetizers being served to you?

As you can maybe tell, a nice glass of wine features prominently in all of my scenarios! YMMV

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/4/2023 at 8:13 PM, penguin18 said:

Yes, it's our first cruse, and we're leaving from Athens. I think I'll move the reservation so we can get some pictures leaving the port.

Many cruise pax enjoy watching from their ship all the comings and goings  both down on the dock  and indeed on their own ship, as crew and shore staff prep the ship for arriving or leaving a port.  It is one of the elements of cruising which sets it apart from a land trip, and if it will be your first cruise you might enjoy watching..  We  personally also enjoy watching the pilot arriving and leaving and there is always the possibility of spotting "pier runners" especially at Caribbean ports.but could care less about a "sailaway party"

In addition, ship prep aside, some ports have a wonderfully scenic arrival or departure which really should not be missed, including as examples Malta and Kotor Montenegro.  Venice used to be another.  

If you care to list your ports, those of us who have sailed in or out can suggest sailaways you might want to experience, with or without the "party" element which is your personal choice.

Edited by edinburgher