Cleaning water bottles on long cruise?

dbali

How do you clean those vero water bottles on a long cruise?  Does the room attendant wash them? Do I need to bring dish soap?  Also, do you get new bottles with each segment?

Any help is appreciated.

We were on the 2023 World Cruise. We rinsed our water bottles ourselves.  We didn’t feel the need to use soap as we were the only ones using them. We never asked our room attendant to clean them for us. We did not receive new bottles for each (7) segment. 

I took a small travel toiletry bottle with some fairy liquid . Washed the new bottles out when we arrived and just washed and rinsed them each night and left to dry. It helped take away that new metal kind of taste and they were fresh ready each day.    Jean.

Just a word of warning - if one takes any type of medication that causes a "metallic" taste, the Vero bottles are not for you. On my last cruise, I noticed very few people actually using the water bottle or taking them on an excursion and when I started to talk to people, they general reply was that the water tastes "metallic" when drunk out of the Vero bottles.  I drink LOTS of water and it is pretty much the only thing I do drink and no matter how hard I tried, I could not get the metallic taste to disappear. Fortunately I had some water that I had brought on board with me and eventually ended up buying water and bringing it on board. I found that the Vero water had an "off" taste and did not enjoy it.

My suite was in the same area as the entertainers and all of them where drinking bottled water and not the Vero water. Almost every time one of the entertainers left their suite, they had a bottle of water in their hand.

8 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

Not sure what you're asking here?

I guess I am asking what sort of things did you do or bring that made the cruise better.  My mind is in overdrive trying to plan for everything.

In keeping with the water bottle theme of the original question, If you are going to a warm part of the world I would suggest bringing your own insulated water bottle like a Hydroflask and using ice to keep your water cold. The Vero bottles are not insulated and your water will get warm during the day (even with ice in warm places). On our WC I bought an insulated bottle in one of our early ports and left my Vero bottle in the room. 

Other things that we found helpful are magnetic hooks (and maybe some binder clips) that you can use on the metallic walls to hang things and organize pieces of paper or to hang hats. My wife also brought a shoe organizer that hung from our closet rod. 

2 hours ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

In keeping with the water bottle theme of the original question, If you are going to a warm part of the world I would suggest bringing your own insulated water bottle like a Hydroflask and using ice to keep your water cold. The Vero bottles are not insulated and your water will get warm during the day (even with ice in warm places). On our WC I bought an insulated bottle in one of our early ports and left my Vero bottle in the room. 

Other things that we found helpful are magnetic hooks (and maybe some binder clips) that you can use on the metallic walls to hang things and organize pieces of paper or to hang hats. My wife also brought a shoe organizer that hung from our closet rod. 

Thanks, Jim.  We are contemplating bringing a thermos for coffee on tours since we will be in cold (to us) climates.  I already have magnets on my list but haven't thought about binder clips.

We use our own heavy duty plastic water bottle, however, answering the cleansing issue, when at home ours are cleaned in the dishwasher daily. On our current Splendor cruise we use any coffee station and fill 30% with hot water and shake then rinse. We run the hot water over the cap and bottle neck thread. This is clean enough. As mentioned by other posters, there is a lack of bottles being taken ashore which is quite worrying during the summer months. The smaller plastic bottles were lighter and encouraged hydration ashore. Perhaps the aluminium flasks are better for storing a crafty G&T ashore.

• Haha 1

I rinse our water bottles with hot tap water every evening and let them dry overnight. We take them with us on every excursion. When full they’re heavier than the disposable plastic bottles but so far it hasn’t affected us. 

• Like 1

We don't want any more metal bottles on any of cruises. We have never used them onboard, and still felt obligated to take them home, even though we didn't really have room for them in our luggage. We even got them in a hotel in Aruba, and didn't use them. Is there any market for them on ebay? If not they will have to go to Goodwill to help others be more envirommentally aware.

I don't like anything about metal water bottles. They're heavy, aren't pleasant to drink from, and seem to make the water taste bad. When I fly, or board a cruise, I bring at least 2 empty 1 liter bottles in my carry on. After I arrive, I refill these with drinkable water (the glass vero water from the glass bottle on Regent) and put them in the fridge to drink bedside during the night. I wash these every day, and refill them from the glass bottles. I leave the empty glass bottles in the cabin and they're refilled by our room steward. I also bring water bags that we normally use for hiking. I wash them after use, and refill them from the vero water bottles in our cabin, and put them in the fridge. They get lighter and smaller as we use them on excursions so they're convenient and don't take up any room or weight in our luggage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SWFLAOK said:

We don't want any more metal bottles on any of cruises. We have never used them onboard, and still felt obligated to take them home, even though we didn't really have room for them in our luggage. We even got them in a hotel in Aruba, and didn't use them. Is there any market for them on ebay? If not they will have to go to Goodwill to help others be more envirommentally aware.

I don't like anything about metal water bottles. They're heavy, aren't pleasant to drink from, and seem to make the water taste bad. When I fly, or board a cruise, I bring at least 2 empty 1 liter bottles in my carry on. After I arrive, I refill these with drinkable water (the glass vero water from the glass bottle on Regent) and put them in the fridge to drink bedside during the night. I wash these every day, and refill them from the glass bottles. I leave the empty glass bottles in the cabin and they're refilled by our room steward. I also bring water bags that we normally use for hiking. I wash them after use, and refill them from the vero water bottles in our cabin, and put them in the fridge. They get lighter and smaller as we use them on excursions so they're convenient and don't take up any room or weight in our luggage.

If you are not going to use the aluminum bottles...just leave them in the cabinet rather than take them home.

I kept 1bottle from several cruises ago and bring it with me for subsequent voyages.  The new/unused ones stay in the lower cabinet where the champagne bucket is stored. No waste!

• Like 4

Yes, just leave the Regent bottles, why haul them home if you don’t like them. Left three sets on the ships after our three Dec, Jan cruises. We use our own metal insulated bottles we bring from home. They are some smaller and really keep the water cold with added ice. We use these everyday at home. Much nicer than the Regent bottles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cwn said:

We use our own metal insulated bottles we bring from home. They are some smaller and really keep the water cold with added ice.

We do the same. We much prefer to have an insulated bottle as we prefer to travel to warm climates and find it much nicer to have cool water to drink. The plastic bottles tend to let the water get warm very quickly and I didn't find it refreshing.

We bought rubber collapsible water bottles on Amazon. Easy to pack.

I insist on having bottled water while onboard and use it to drink in our room and to fill our water bottles. We rinse out the bottles with hot soapy water and air dry.

On 7/9/2023 at 9:46 AM, mrstanley said:

We bought rubber collapsible water bottles on Amazon. Easy to pack.

I insist on having bottled water while onboard and use it to drink in our room and to fill our water bottles. We rinse out the bottles with hot soapy water and air dry.

How do you get bottled water on board? Are there certain locations or do we just ask our steward?

• 4 weeks later...

I detected an unpleasant taste - fish like on third day of using the water.  I told staff to bring me small plastic bottles to use and kept in the refrigerator.  They promptly did and that settled that!   I have detected same when offered glass in businesses and restaurants.  I don't want any amebae or fungi!!

• Like 1