Passport

teapot33

On 7/6/2023 at 6:53 PM, FetaCheese said:

Did not use expeditor. Used expedited from State Dept., plus express shipping from State Dept. 

Mailed it myself priority from P.O. They received app next day. 

Began processing 3 days later. Passport received 5 weeks, 3 days from date received by passport office. $209.53

It wld. be helpful to know on what date you mailed your application to the State Dept. and on what date you received the new passport.  We're looking at squeezing in a renewal application in mid-September 2023 and in advance of a late February 2024 cruise.  Our passports don't expire until February 2025, but we've got several cruises booked between this August and the expiration date and we're aware of demand/staffing issues at State.  We planning to use expedited service on submission in mid-September to be on safe side, although the big summer "rush" shld. be reduced by that point.

17 minutes ago, redraider1966 said:

It wld. be helpful to know on what date you mailed your application to the State Dept. and on what date you received the new passport.  We're looking at squeezing in a renewal application in mid-September 2023 and in advance of a late February 2024 cruise.  Our passports don't expire until February 2025, but we've got several cruises booked between this August and the expiration date and we're aware of demand/staffing issues at State.  We planning to use expedited service on submission in mid-September to be on safe side, although the big summer "rush" shld. be reduced by that point.

Right now the site states 7-9 weeks if using the Expedited filing with associated cost. This is processing time only, not mailing. So best to include the priority mail option at back end and get about 2 days after processing completed if up against a tight timeline. 

2 hours ago, redraider1966 said:

Mailed priority mail from PO 27 MAY

Received at Passport office next day (Sun.)

Entered processing 31 MAY

Arrived at home 01JUL

Paid expedited $60, express mail for return $19.53, plus reg renewal $130 fee to US passport office/Dept. Of State.  Total $209.53

Don't think you'll need expedited, summer rush would most likely be over.  Sept. to Feb. is greater than 14 weeks now listed as reg.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

2 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

Right now the site states 7-9 weeks if using the Expedited filing with associated cost. This is processing time only, not mailing. So best to include the priority mail option at back end and get about 2 days after processing completed if up against a tight timeline. 

I just sent in a passport renewal and checked today and it says in process 7-9 weeks (expedited).

So that's the official estimate

9 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Remember this saga?  A very costly lesson for me

Susie, you received your passport in about a week, is that correct?

I will return to the US Aug 4 after a Nautica sailing.  I leave for a sailing on Riveria on Oct 6.  My passport expires Feb 4th so I have to renew between the two sailings.  Friends recently cancelled a trip as they didn’t receive their expedited passport in time, they had 12 weeks.

I figure I will just pay the $800 and use the FedEx/RushMyPassport service and not risk it as I only have 8 weeks between trips.

Were you happy with the service?  

Anyone else have experience with an expediter?  I haven’t used one for awhile.

3 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

I will return to the US Aug 4 after a Nautica sailing.  I leave for a sailing on Riveria on Oct 6.  My passport expires Feb 4th so I have to renew between the two sailings.  Friends recently cancelled a trip as they didn’t receive their expedited passport in time, they had 12 weeks.

I figure I will just pay the $800 and use the FedEx/RushMyPassport service and not risk it as I only have 8 weeks between trips.

Yes, one came back in a week, the other took 2 weeks because we had to retake and send my husband's phot. The US State Dept. didn't like his first picture so the computer kicked his application out.

I was very happy with that company. it helps to use an expediter located in the city where the passports are printed. The one I used is in Philadelphia.

16 hours ago, susiesan said:

Yes, one came back in a week, the other took 2 weeks because we had to retake and send my husband's phot. The US State Dept. didn't like his first picture so the computer kicked his application out.

I was very happy with that company. it helps to use an expediter located in the city where the passports are printed. The one I used is in Philadelphia.

Did you take the pictures yourself or have them made somewhere?

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Mine got kicked out the first time.   Make sure the background is really white.  Sometimes off whites will not work.  Also no glasses. Also make sure it is a recent photo. 

I have used passportvisaexpress.com for my quick need passports and visas for biz travel

20 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Mine got kicked out the first time.   Make sure the background is really white.  Sometimes off whites will not work.  Also no glasses. Also make sure it is a recent photo. 

I have used passportvisaexpress.com for my quick need passports and visas for biz travel

Same question. Did you take the picture yourself?

2 hours ago, ORV said:

No, they were taken at a FedEx store by the "experts" as the prepaid envelope to overnight to the expediter was a Fed Ex shipment. There has to be a contrast with the white background and the outline of the head. Because I have long hair framing my white skin face, mine was fine. My husbands white skin and the white background blended too much for the US passport computers to recognize the outline of his head. I wouldn't risk taking my own pictures.

When we went back to the same FedEx store to retake the pictures we were not charged of the second batch, of course, as FedEx crewed up.

Not worth much since most on this board are seasoned travelers but I just got my first passport this spring.  We booked the cruise in February, took a month to get into the local passport office, March 14th.  The passport office received my application March 20th. And I got my passport June 7th.  They said 8-11 weeks to process and took the full 11 weeks.  Just an FYI from a recent experience with the passport department.  Our cruise isn’t until late September so I didn’t do expedited.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BrakeawayTakeaway said:

Not worth much since most on this board are seasoned travelers but I just got my first passport this spring.  We booked the cruise in February, took a month to get into the local passport office, March 14th.  The passport office received my application March 20th. And I got my passport June 7th.  They said 8-11 weeks to process and took the full 11 weeks.  Just an FYI from a recent experience with the passport department.  Our cruise isn’t until late September so I didn’t do expedited.  

Your experience is worth a lot.  It's a solid data point.  Thanks.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2023 at 9:47 AM, Snaefell3 said:

Seems mine is at the "National" center in NH...

At 5 weeks, yesterday, will update.

At 6 weeks, exactly, from when DoS received the application, my DW's renewal ticked over to "APPROVED" at https://passportstatus.state.gov/, and https://www.usps.com/manage/informed-delivery.htm now shows "USPS awaiting item from PASSPORT SERVICES/DOS TUCSON, AZ".

We signed up for "Email Updates" at the status site, but no email (yet).

PS: We paid for neither "Expedited Service" nor an Expediter.

PPS: My renewal is still reporting "IN PROGRESS" 😞 

• Like 1

DH (US citizen) filled out online application on June 14, 2023, printed it, wrote check for expedited service, went to Walgreens for pics, proceeded to US post office in Eagle, Idaho, and paid for expedited mailing to Philadelphia, PA.  Received new passport today, July 14, 2023... exactly four weeks.  YMMV!

Edited by julia

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Jun 1 - Our "Routine processing" passport renewal applications both arrived at DoS.

Jul 14 - DW's new passport handed to USPS  (6 weeks + 1 day)

Aug 2 - My new passport handed to USPS (9 weeks - 1 day)

Thanks for the report. Both arrived the same day and three weeks difference! Folks would be advised to plan for the worst case. I would say 12 weeks. 

On 7/8/2023 at 3:51 PM, the more ports the better said:

check the country you are traveling to in August.  Many countries require you passport to be valid for six months AFTER your travel date.

• 4 weeks later...

Just for more information. I sent in both of our passports on Jun 25th after our last cruise. Sent them in the same envelope.  We got the new ones in the mail today, in separate envelopes.  Right at 60 days. This was standard processing. 

1 minute ago, ORV said:

Just for more information. I sent in both of our passports on Jun 25th after our last cruise. Sent them in the same envelope.  We got the new ones in the mail today, in separate envelopes.  Right at 60 days. This was standard processing. 

👍

Got my picture taken at CVS after trying online cropping tools that didn't work well. CVS said they'd had photos rejected for your ears not showing - ? Didn't pay for expedited as I had over a year until needed at that time. Mailed end of May and received 7 weeks later. Then got the summer sale mailing and now I'm leaving in less than 2 months. My sister mailed around the same time and waited another 4 weeks.