Back on Oasis class after 12 years…and I think I'm done with it.

8 minutes ago, Tapi said:

We did Chops for lunch on a sea day and enjoyed it tremendously. It was a nice break. We pre booked it before departure so we paid less than half what dinner would’ve cost. I’d definitely book it for lunch again. 

Yes we will definitely do again.  The dinners are just too long especially at Chops.  We got away with nice shorts at lunch as well.  We get salads for dinner at the WJ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

We did Chops for lunch on a sea day and enjoyed it tremendously. It was a nice break. We pre booked it before departure so we paid less than half what dinner would’ve cost. I’d definitely book it for lunch again. 

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

Yes we will definitely do again.  The dinners are just too long especially at Chops.  We got away with nice shorts at lunch as well.  We get salads for dinner at the WJ.

What time does lunch go until? 3pm? 4pm? 

9 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Sounds like you just want smaller ships & different ports. Different strokes & fortunately Royal has plenty of everything.

We’re perfectly content doing the same “boring” Caribbean itineraries on Oasis class & love CocoCay. Everyone has their preferences.

You pay extra at coco cay for the water park?  If so, how much is that?

Just now, Etta1213 said:

I don't personally pay for anything but yes, the water park has a fee.

The price varies by ship/date.  On my next 2 Wonder cruises (March and June) it's currently $169.99/person.

16 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Enjoyed reading your review. My experience has been Oasis class ships feel less crowded than Quantum, Freedom and Voyager class ships. I have been on Grandeur a few times recently mainly for the ports, but unlike you, I am not a big fan of smaller ships. I doubt I will ever cruise on any RCI ship smaller than Voyager class ships in the future. 

I would agree with this.  While no RCI expert, I've been on all five Oasis class ships because I enjoy that particular experience.  It's very easy to find spaces where there are no crowds and I just ignore the screaming children in public areas (headphones help a lot with that).

The one time I tried the Independence years ago, it was ok, but certainly didn't have much of a Wow factor. The entertainment was very high school production, the pool deck was always crowded and the promenade felt like a 70's indoor shopping mall.  Perhaps the Quantum is a happy medium, but if the OP is looking for a more adult experience, then I would suggest Celebrity Edge class as an alternative.

• Like 1

Thanks for the perspective of summertime on Oasis class.  We sailed Oasis in May, and had a wonderful time.  I think the fact that it wasn't packed to the extreme made a difference for us.  We haven't sailed in the summer yet....and really don't think we ever will.  I like the variety of the larger ships (quantum class is as much a favorite as oasis class for us), but don't want to sail when they are too crowded.

56 minutes ago, Etta1213 said:

It was $179 when we sailed last week. And those overwater cabanas were going for $2K-$3K. And apparently they all sold out.

17 hours ago, GetToLivin said:

When was your first cruise on Allure? I ask because we never sail in the summer in an attempt to avoid the summer crowds, wondering if you enjoyed Allure more if it happened to be during a different month. We usually sail spring/fall and it's been manageable crowd-wise. Enjoyed reading of your experience though 😀 We do like the big ships but DH and I are sailing on Mariner this October and I'm looking forward to a different class ship this time around, then it's back on Harmony in Dec with 2 teenagers (and I'm hoping they'll have plenty to do!) 🤪

We have fond memories of the Mariner. It was our first cruise and we had a wonderful time. Mariner was cruising out of Galveston at the time. It was also our first vacation w/ 'adult' kids so that was a plus as well. Enjoy your cruise! She gave us great memories! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tapi said:

It was $179 when we sailed last week. And those overwater cabanas were going for $2K-$3K. And apparently they all sold out.

That's actually low for the OTW cabanas. They were closer to $4K for our Wonder cruise last month and are well above $3K for several future Wonder cruises we have booked/on hold.

Not commenting on value here, just sharing for comparison's sake.

14 hours ago, topnole said:

If you do a smaller ship, it will at most have one flowrider, and you get way less time to ride on those ships as they split boogie board and stand up time.  We like freedom class, but the flowrider situation on those ships was always a huge negative for me.

Unfortunately (for the flowrider fans out there) the newest and upcoming big ships only have a single flowrider (but more passengers 🤔).

To the OP: You gave a great review, nice photos - Maho beach is a memorable experience!

Despite the disappointment,  it seems this past cruise has helped you see what you’re looking for in a cruise ship vacation. The difference from your previous cruise could have been many things - the time of year, or an aging thing 😉 with a new perspective or cruise line procedural/crew differences since your last cruise on this class, etc. Even on back to back cruises I’ve found that my experience can be really different from one week to the next in terms of the passengers, food, crew, atmosphere.   Just keep cruising and find what works best for you & family. It sounds like you now have a flowrider addict in the family too, so that narrows down the options 😆.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, karebare22 said:

Unfortunately (for the flowrider fans out there) the newest and upcoming big ships only have a single flowrider (but more passengers 🤔).

To the OP: You gave a great review, nice photos - Maho beach is a memorable experience!

Despite the disappointment,  it seems this past cruise has helped you see what you’re looking for in a cruise ship vacation. The difference from your previous cruise could have been many things - the time of year, or an aging thing 😉 with a new perspective or cruise line procedural/crew differences since your last cruise on this class, etc. Even on back to back cruises I’ve found that my experience can be really different from one week to the next in terms of the passengers, food, crew, atmosphere.   Just keep cruising and find what works best for you & family. It sounds like you now have a flowrider addict in the family too, so that narrows down the options 😆.

I don’t think it is age in general.  Many in the older demographics love oasis class.  Probably just how the OP is in general or how he is aging specifically.  It’s not like roller coasters or physical sports where it tends to be a younger persons thing.  

But you make a good point about week to week.  And he would need to compare it to summer on a “smaller” ship.  Those could feel crowded too.  Honestly, I rarely find crowds to be a bigger problem on oasis class than other size ships.  Usually the opposite.  So my experiences are clearly different than others.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, topnole said:

Honestly, I rarely find crowds to be a bigger problem on oasis class than other size ships.  Usually the opposite.  So my experiences are clearly different than others.  

FWIW, same experience for us. Could be any number of things... perception/tolerance of crowds, where one spends their time, etc. Maybe it's because we're used to sailing in the summer, mostly on full Oasis class ships with lots of kids (despite not having any of our own), but it doesn't really bother us.

Edited by OCSC Mike

We have worked our way up the RC fleet and liked the Oasis class the best .

Now i dont even look at other class of ship . Makes it easy when looking for a cruise.🙂

Dont care where its going as we cruise for the ship .

Having been on Anthem several times recently, we can't wait to get back on an Oasis class (doing Symphony in October). Yes, Quantum class is smaller but being more family-friendly you'll be lucky to find the quiet, relaxing space you seek - only comfortable place I could find to read was in Vintages! That, and the absence of outside space, ice rink and aqua theatre all make it dull, dull, dull for me

4 hours ago, allyfree said:

Having been on Anthem several times recently, we can't wait to get back on an Oasis class (doing Symphony in October). Yes, Quantum class is smaller but being more family-friendly you'll be lucky to find the quiet, relaxing space you seek - only comfortable place I could find to read was in Vintages! That, and the absence of outside space, ice rink and aqua theatre all make it dull, dull, dull for me

We have sailed Oasis Class mostly over the last few years.  Last Sep/Oct we did 17 nights on a Ovation and Quantum combo.  Quantum class feels way to small and their single level dining rooms suck. Oasis Class for us.  We have done 3 transatlantic crossings on Oasis Class and all were fantastic. We are both 70+. We did find Vintages to be our go to bar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neverbeenhere said:

If you choose Coco Cay on another cruise, you should stay aboard the ship and enjoy a light passenger day. 

We were at Coco Cay with the Independence of the Seas. We had read that, if we didn’t want to deal with crowds, that we should go to South Beach, so we headed there.

With two ships in port, and getting off the ship 3 hours after arriving in port, we thought it would be packed by the time we got there, but it wasn’t. We had plenty of loungers to pick from and the beach wasn’t crowded at all. Only thing was that the water was more green than crystal clear blue as we’ve seen in other private islands, bottom was rockier than I expected, and there was some seaweed. Still enjoyable though. 

After that, we swung by the Oasis Lagoon and Harbor Beach for a change of scenery, but it looked like an MTV Spring Break, packed to the gills, so we went back to the ship early and enjoyed the semi-empty pools. 

Edited by Tapi

Thanks for the nice balanced review it was a bice read and some bice pictures as well. 

This year was our first time back an an Oasis class as well since the ship had been amp,d. We enjoyed it more then the first time tbh. The size or the ship, the activities, the pools, slides and my fav place to relax with a coffee and watch the geckos is of course central park. 

Crowds: sea days on any ship always busy. But i have to say i found the ship less busy than when i was on Anthem of the seas. I really didnt enjoy that ship.

Food: like the OP said its always up ans doen, some good meals some bad meals and always those people that hog food tables for hrs but have finished eating. 

Ports: The oasis class ships are resort ships, so less ports and the same old itinerary's. Back and forth cash cows really. 

Cococay: Nice first time you go but after that its been done. The extras, slides, merch, etc really expensive. But i can see the appeal to new cruisers. 

Would i go on an Oasis class again. Yes 100% however prob not untill i have experienced other cruise lines and better ports. 

We annually sail on an Oasis class ship.  However, we only sail in suites, typically a CLS and it makes a big difference.  Never use the ship's free toiletries, always bring our own.  We also dine often if SP restaurants.  Find the extra service and benefits so worth it in a suite.  It is like a ship within a ship.  Makes for a wonderful experience.  We also love the Celebrity Solstice and Edge class ships and sail at least once a year on those ships.

@Tapi  Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You've accurately expressed my hesitation of why I have not cruised on this class. Not to mention, I'm older, kids are grown, so all the fun, kid-friendly activities are not important to me. I am booked on Quantum fall of 2024. I'm not sure what shock I'm in for after 25+ cruises on Radiance and Vision classes. 😀

5 hours ago, superduper123 said:

@Tapi  Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You've accurately expressed my hesitation of why I have not cruised on this class. Not to mention, I'm older, kids are grown, so all the fun, kid-friendly activities are not important to me.

Reading all the comments on this thread, I've realized a few things. First, we traveled in June this time vs May the previous time, so the crowds may have been more noticeable because, this time, we traveled smack in the middle of the summer break.

Second thing I realized is that, a big reason why we found it harder to find quiet spaces this time is because we were traveling with kids who wanted to do EVERYTHING. They wanted to go to every family karaoke (I've never listened to "Sweet Caroline" or Taylor Swift songs so many times in my life 😂), every trivia, every game, every party, etc. They also wanted to do the waterslides, zipline, flowrider, the Abyss, carousel etc, over and over, all which were either held in pack venues or had lines. Several times, we sat on the floor (like for trivia at the Schooner Bar or for games and karaoke at On Air) simply because they were so crowded. We also ate at the Windjammer A LOT since that's what was more varied for kids, and it was almost always packed. 

When we sailed on an Oasis class the previous time, our son was 15 months old, so we didn't do the majority of the things that we did this time. On that cruise, we spent a lot of time lounging around, and spent more time doing nothing. We would enjoy quiet lunches at the Park Cafe while our son napped in his stroller. At night, we would leave our son at Royal Babies for a few hours while we had a nice, quiet dinner at one of the specialty restaurants, went to a show, or we would head to a nearly deserted Solarium for a bit of down time.

So I'm realizing that I will most likely enjoy sailing on the Oasis class again once the kids are grown, or if it's just the wife and I. This cruise was just nonstop energy with two teen and pre-teen kids! 🤣But I'm so glad we did it. They absolutely loved it. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 4