CRYSTAL'S FAMOUS FOREST MUSHROOM SOUP IS BACK!

Keith1010

This may have been on the Crystal website for awhile, but I just spotted it so I thought I would pass it along. Another example of taking what people enjoyed at former Crystal and adding new ingredients as part of new Crystal to provide an exceptional experience at sea.

Keith

2023-07-07_02-31-52.thumb.png.dcd60b4ab828e71e38b657ba325e3d80.png

We are delighted to announce that one of our guest’s favorite dishes will make a well-deserved comeback when we return to the water this summer. This signature dish boasts a rich, creamy texture from several combined mushrooms, including the stars of Italian cuisine, Porcinis, each adding its unique character. Seasoned with aromatic herbs and served in warm oregano bread bowls, our Forest Mushroom Soup is sure to leave you craving for more.

Prep Time: 30 minutes, Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serving size: 4-6 people

INGREDIENTS
3⁄4 cup dried or 1 cup of fresh morel mushrooms
3⁄4 cup fresh Portobello mushrooms, sliced with no skin
3⁄4 cup fresh white button mushrooms, sliced
3⁄4 fresh Porcini mushrooms (or 1 cup dried)
3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3 shallots, finely minced
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1⁄2 cup dry white wine
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1⁄2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons of mixed fresh herbs, (parsley, thyme, oregano, and basil leaves)
4-6 individual bread loaves

METHOD
1. If using dried mushroom, wash thoroughly to remove excess soil, then soak for 10 minutes in warm water. Removes stems and discard.
2. Cut caps into bite sized pieces.
3. Heat medium saucepan over medium heat with olive oil; add all mushrooms and sauté for three minutes.
4. Add shallots and garlic; sauté for two minutes.
5. Season to taste, add white wine and let simmer until reduced by half.
6. Add broth and bring to a simmer.
7. Add cream and bring to a simmer again.
8. Reduce heat, and let cook for 25 minutes.
9. In a blender or food processor, purée half the soup until smooth, then return purée to the pan.
10. Stir in fresh herbs and cook for another minute.
11. Add salt and pepper to taste.

TO SERVE
1. Preheat oven to 180° F.
2. Remove tops of bread and hollow out to make a bread bowl.
3. Place bowls on baking sheet and heat for three minutes. Remove bread from oven and pour hot soup into bowls.
4. Garnish with parsley and serve.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

But.....what about the carpaccio???

Patty

Patty, someone asked a silent question about Carpaccio and Lamb Rack on the Webinar. The answer was: Not yet, but that is the intent and is it in the process of being implemented.

When we are on board we can ask about the timing of this.  I know we won't go hungry.  😀

Keith

Keith, I know you will be very busy researching all the food on your first cruise, but could you also check on osso bucco?  It is my husband's favorite on Crystal.  (His favorite meal was the beef tartare, mushroom soup, and osso bucco, with perhaps room for dessert).  For a while it was on the menu, then you could special order in Prego. Would love to have it available in the new Italian restaurant (will take me a little time to get used to it, kind of like the change to Umi Uma)!

Phyllis

7 hours ago, Keith1010 said:
This may have been on the Crystal website for awhile, but I just spotted it so I thought I would pass it along. Another example of taking what people enjoyed at former Crystal and adding new ingredients as part of new Crystal to provide an exceptional experience at sea.

Keith

2023-07-07_02-31-52.thumb.png.dcd60b4ab828e71e38b657ba325e3d80.png

We are delighted to announce that one of our guest’s favorite dishes will make a well-deserved comeback when we return to the water this summer. This signature dish boasts a rich, creamy texture from several combined mushrooms, including the stars of Italian cuisine, Porcinis, each adding its unique character. Seasoned with aromatic herbs and served in warm oregano bread bowls, our Forest Mushroom Soup is sure to leave you craving for more.

This is GREAT! Definitely one of my favorite dishes on Crystal. Second only to the Carpaccio. But...wait.....

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Patty, someone asked a silent question about Carpaccio and Lamb Rack on the Webinar. The answer was: Not yet, but that is the intent and is it in the process of being implemented.

NOOO! 😭 I could have sworn I read somewhere in this forum that the Carpaccio WAS coming back. Did I imagine that? The Carpaccio on Crystal was the best I ever had anywhere...including all over Italy. And I loved the way they made such a production out of it. Mom loved it too - she would always insist we make additional reservations at Prego just to have it again. I'll be bummed if it doesn't come back.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JusttheTwoofUs said:

Keith, I know you will be very busy researching all the food on your first cruise, but could you also check on osso bucco?  It is my husband's favorite on Crystal.  (His favorite meal was the beef tartare, mushroom soup, and osso bucco, with perhaps room for dessert).  For a while it was on the menu, then you could special order in Prego. Would love to have it available in the new Italian restaurant (will take me a little time to get used to it, kind of like the change to Umi Uma)!

Phyllis

An Italian restaurant without carpaccio or osso buco is not possible IMHO 

ok maybe too classic and  not creative enough ...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vistaman said:

An Italian restaurant without carpaccio or osso buco is not possible IMHO 

ok maybe too classic and  not creative enough ...

I'm with you! Hey, I'm all for creativity and innovation in dining, BUT...some of the classics are classics for a reason.

2 hours ago, JusttheTwoofUs said:

Phyllis

Phyllis, I am happy to check on this for you.  

Keith

1 hour ago, Florida90210 said:

On the Crystal Cruise website they do show a picture of the Osso Bucco on the page for the Osteria D'Ovidio restaurant.

Great catch! I hope somebody vetted that photo before they posted it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

i am wild about mushroom soup and this sounds fabulous!  can't wait to try it and all the other things mentioned here.

I am too…and this is the first time I saw the recipe. I love to cook so I’m going to try to make it! I can’t wait over a year until my cruise. 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leejnd4 said:

I am too…and this is the first time I saw the recipe. I love to cook so I’m going to try to make it! I can’t wait over a year until my cruise. 😉

We have the Tastes cookbook and it is surprisingly easy to make. It does, of course, lose something when you make it at home without the bread bowl!!🙂🙂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Roland4 said:

We have the Tastes cookbook and it is surprisingly easy to make. It does, of course, lose something when you make it at home without the bread bowl!!🙂🙂

Wellll…I’ve gotten into baking sourdough over the past year. 😁 I could always make a few smaller loafs and try the soup in that!

I’m just not sure I’ll be able to find all those different mushrooms down here in Mexico. I might be able to find most of them at one of the wonderful Mercados municipales. The herbs will be no problem, they are plentiful and easy to find. 

I made this a few times based on the Chef Jon Ashton videos that came out during the pandemic; this looks like the same recipe. I'm not quite as good at it as Prego was 😛 but it was still good.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 12:45 AM, Leejnd4 said:

Wellll…I’ve gotten into baking sourdough over the past year. 😁 I could always make a few smaller loafs and try the soup in that!

I’m just not sure I’ll be able to find all those different mushrooms down here in Mexico. I might be able to find most of them at one of the wonderful Mercados municipales. The herbs will be no problem, they are plentiful and easy to find. 

I would think that the mushroom soup piled high into a sourdough bowl would be fantastic!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oakridger said:

I liked the soup but ordered it in a regular cup.  No way I could eat even part of the sourdough bowl then the rest of my dinner!!!

Never really "ate" the bowl, but found that lightly scraping the inside of it after finishing the soup left you with a nice bit of "soaked sourdough" that combined both flavors into one spoonful.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Never really "ate" the bowl, but found that lightly scraping the inside of it after finishing the soup left you with a nice bit of "soaked sourdough" that combined both flavors into one spoonful.

That’s not a +1, it’s a +100 😎😊😎

Patty

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Ah ha!  A new soup technique learned from you today!   I must confess though; this San Francisco Area dweller doesn't like sourdough bread!!  Shhhhhh....don't tell the food police, I may get my Bay Area residency permit pulled!  😁

~Nancy

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well good news then, the Prego Mushroom soup wasn't sourdough 😛. Dunno what you'd call it exactly; the recipe calls it an "oregano bread bowl". It was a pretty basic bread recipe with some dried oregano sprinkled in.

• Haha 1