COVID testing requirements

I just got a welcome from Princess. I see a Covid test is required prior to boarding it talks about self test but doesn’t mention a monitored self test   Anyone know about COVID testing requirements? Thanks 

13 minutes ago, wendyp247 said:

I just got a welcome from Princess. I see a Covid test is required prior to boarding it talks about self test but doesn’t mention a monitored self test   Anyone know about COVID testing requirements? Thanks 

I answered this question on the other thread. A self-administered RAT test is required.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I answered this question on the other thread. A self-administered RAT test is required.

Thank you. Is the self administered test ok if it’s from the US or do I need to purchase one in Australia the cruise 

5 hours ago, wendyp247 said:

Thank you. Is the self administered test ok if it’s from the US or do I need to purchase one in Australia the cruise 

Any test is fine. The ones we purchase are manufactured all over the world (many from China), We often buy them on eBay and nobody can really tell from your photo of the test where it came from. On my two cruises where I needed to do a test, I wasn't even asked to show proof, I was only asked if I had done a test (which irritated me after the trouble I went through to get my photo showing the test, ID and the date and time).

• Like 1

Any RAT will do. Take the test within 24 hours of boarding.  Then take a photo on your phone showing the test and your ID (passport or driver's licence).  The date and time the photo was taken will be embedded, so if they ask to see it, you can show that it was taken within 24 hours.   My experience is that they only ask if you took an negative test. They don't actually ask to see it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

Any RAT will do. Take the test within 24 hours of boarding.  Then take a photo on your phone showing the test and your ID (passport or driver's licence).  The date and time the photo was taken will be embedded, so if they ask to see it, you can show that it was taken within 24 hours.   My experience is that they only ask if you took an negative test. They don't actually ask to see it.

Some people have been asked to show proof so they may just do random checks. If my memory is correct @MicCanberra was asked to show the proof once.

• Like 2

We haven't been asked on any of the three times since the photo was required, all were early boarding on Princess.

The govt protocols require the self test, but not the photo. However, the protocols also suggest the cruise lines do random screening, and while this initially was meant to be random testing, they applied the random photo check for this measure.

I also don't know how random it is, whether it is a timing thing, if they identify anyone with a cough, or whether one or two of the check-in staff ask everyone that they check-in - no idea.

• Like 1

Was checked last year on several of our cruises, but definitely all our Australian ones. We had the photo with dates, time, ID and negative tests.  Haven't been needed for our last few cruises as they have been overseas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Guess I've been lucky (?) not to be checked then.  Maybe it's like Customs screening at airports, where they have a profile  and if you don't fit it, you usually don't get selected for checking.

You could be right. I get picked for the explosive test around 80% of the time I am screened at the airport.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, arxcards said:

You could be right. I get picked for the explosive test around 80% of the time I am screened at the airport.

Hahaha, I nearly always get the pat down 🥴

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, arxcards said:

I undergo the explosive test almost every time I'm at the airport. However, during our last trip, I wasn't selected for the test, and I actually felt a sense of being lost after going through security.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Some people have been asked to show proof so they may just do random checks. If my memory is correct @MicCanberra was asked to show the proof once.

And my sister and brother-in-law were 'caught' based on the photo they uploaded on their Medallion:  the date was more than 24 hours in advance of embarkation.  The check-in staff gave them free tests to self administer.  Within 15 minutes they were on-board.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 3