The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 9th, 2023

richwmn

Today is National Sugar Cookie Day, Call of the Horizon Day, and Fashion Day

First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. And then they attack you and want to burn you. And then they build monuments to you.--Nicholas Klein

Meal Suggestion for today - Stuffed Butternut Squash
Drink of the Day - Apri Diem
Wine of the Day - Dry River Pinot Noir Martinborough 2021
Destination of the Day - San Antonio, Chile

Today in History:
1877 First ever Wimbledon tennis championship begins - first official lawn tennis tournament - men's singles only

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea destination Juneau, Alaska eta 10 Jul

Koningsdam

At Sea destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm/Jumeua, Alaska eta 10 Jul

Nieuw Amsterdam

Whittier, Alaska 0700-2000

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea destination Stockholm, Sweden eta 10 Jul

Noordam

Vancouver, Canada 0700-1600

Oosterdam

Kotor, Montenegro 0700-1700

Rotterdam

At Sea destination Lerwick, Shetland Isles eta 11 Jul

Volendam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 0700-1500

Zaandam

Bar Harbor, Maine 0700-1600

Zuiderdam

Reykjavik, Iceland

0709World.thumb.png.c46f11e1124c08fc1f5b388e8e72a7ee.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 14

Apri Diem cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Basil Hayden's® Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
1 spoonful Apricot Jam
2 pieces Ginger, Sliced
1/2 part Lemon Juice
2-3 dashes Orange Bitters

Instructions
In a shaker, muddle the ginger and jam. Add ice, lemon juice, and Basil Hayden’s® Bourbon. Shake. Strain into ice filled highball. Top with soda. Garnish with lemon wheel.

Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 6.35.01 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.

Father Davids 50th birthday is on Tuesday July 11th and we are having his party at church on Saturday 15th July.

We have had a nice church service this morning and today's sermon is on my previous post.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

Prayers 🙏 offered to my friends who are poorly.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

We had rain overnight.  It should warm up and be sunny this afternoon.  I think we've had enough rain for a little while.

A nice collection of days.  Sugar cookies are delicious.  The horizon is calling so I'm checking out cruises.  I'm not really into fashion, but know what I like and don't like.

Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the meal.  The drink sounds interesting, I hope the wine is tasty.

Prayers for our world.

Have a wonderful Sunday.  

• Like 29

25 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

Father Davids 50th birthday is on Tuesday July 11th and we are having his party at church on Saturday 15th July.

We have had a nice church service this morning and today's sermon is on my previous post.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

Prayers 🙏 offered to my friends who are poorly.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

I think it should be called @rafinmd Roy's day.

Screenshot_20230709_120340.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  It's cloudy and 70 this morning so no pretty sunrise.  Today will be 87 and partly cloudy.  Graham @grapau27 please wish Father David Happy Birthday from me when you see him at his party on the 15th.  He seems like a member of our Daily family.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for today's Daily and Fleet Report.  I like sugar cookies (and most any cookie).  I would like to view the horizon from my home but there are trees everywhere around me blocking the actual horizon.  And how much taller can these trees get?  I used to be able to see the copper colored metal cupola on our Amenity Center from my back windows but the trees in the woods are so much taller they've obscured that view.  Fashion day doesn't sound like I need to observe it today since I'll be wearing my usual comfy clothes around the house most of the day.  The day in history is important to the tennis lovers.  

The quote is interesting.  I will pass on the butternut squash, cocktail and pinot noir (more for you!).  However, I will pay attention to the reports from Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard.  Thank you ladies!

Prayers for our Care list people, and I hope the list shortens sometime soon.🙏  So many are hurting in some way.  Three cheers for the Celebration list folks!  🎉🥂🎂  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for putting it all together for us.

Port of the Day is San Antonio, Chile.  This is the third time for the port here.  Here are the links to April 12, 2021 and March 5, 2022 to retrieve your photos.  I have been there one time but don't have many photos of it.  Before I leave this section I have a question for Rich @richwmn.  I notice on your CC activity where I go to get the links each day, that your activity is always limited to 111 pages, which means the furthest back dates are gradually dropping off.  Today your posts go back to August 14, 2020.  Do you have a limit set on the activity list?  My own activity goes back 244 pages but the furthest back it goes is January 19, 2021. Very interesting. 

We sailed from San Antonio in January 2020 when we were on Coral Princess for our last Antarctica cruise.  Because of the storm along the coast the fuel bunker ship couldn't make it to port in time to fuel us for Antarctica, so we had to spend the night in the port waiting for it to arrive.  I have a few pictures to show you.  We didn't take any photos in town for some reason, just as we were leaving port.enhance

I think that might have been a shopping mall in the above photo. enhance

enhance

We needed tugs to get out of there because of the high winds.  As you can see there were rocks near the entrance of the harbor and they had lots of seals hanging out on them.enhance

This is what they showed us on our TV screens as warnings for the days ahead.  It was a nasty storm!

enhance

But we still had our Cruise Critic meet and greet.enhance

enhance

For some reason I didn't take any photos in town.  It's very small and we didn't spend much time there, just to a local store for some drinks and things to take with us on the ship.  If someone else has some photos of San Antonio, I would love to see them posted.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday.  Please stay safe and well!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Today’s Care list:

The passing of cruising sister’s Aunt 7/3

The passing of Mamofami’s friend Judi 7/7

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, with complications

Smitty34877’s DH Lou recovering from surgery 

Vict0riann’s Pat with urinary and kidney infections

1Angelcat’s friend B with medical issues

Summer slope with a health issue

Ill Dailyite pets – Kazu’s Ivan

summer slope’s Bailey crossing the Rainbow bridge 

Two Newark firefighters killed fighting a fire at Port Newark

Canadian/US wildfires, unhealthy air quality for many 

Tornado and storm victims; dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Catmando (Marshhawk’s DH) with cancer recurrence

Denise T with blood sugar elevations since having Covid

StLouisCruiser’s friend’s DB Mark with bile duct cancer

Marshhawk’s pinched nerve

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome Home Oceansaway17!

Smitty34877’s good news about the pathology report

Bennybear’s (Brenda) good pathology report

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Loveandpeas (Volendam to July 12, celebrating 14th anniversary), and Cruzin Terri (Oceania Marina to July 23)

• Like 22
  • Thanks 15

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! A lovely start to the day after yesterday’s wild afternoon storms. Lots of wildlife this morning: deer, raccoon, fox, and a couple Sandhill cranes.  

Vanessa, thank you for sharing our events. Off to the gym, then Aldi, Bindi walks, chores and 🤞🏻 pool time will round out my day. 

IMG_1479.jpeg.65f6141f5c653c8a26414ef968a95bbf.jpeg

IMG_1475.jpeg.a6250d6f5c5218e19407b2b0fa2bbe6b.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well and stay well everyone. 

Dry River Pinot Noir Martinborough 2021

This New Zealand wine can be yours for $73.95 + shipping, unless your local wine shop carries it, or will order it for you. It sounds lovely. 

Vintner’s notes

Power and concentration are at the centre of the wines of this year. In vintages like this, the way you extract your tannins and flavour from the fruit is vital. Being gentle and cautious was the focus from the vines to the winery, and this extra care has left us very happy with the result.

Our Pinot Noir 2021 is deep, dark and a pleasure to drink now. The subtle aromatics will develop over time, even with just a little time in a decanter, while the palate is already smooth and seamless. Of course, it will benefit from patient cellaring.

Serving suggestion: Decanted at 18 – 20C, serve with venison tartare, roasted lamb rack or mushroom risotto.

TASTING NOTES

Dry River Pinot Noir 2021 is a deep, dark colour with a subtle but generous nose. Aromatics of currants, mulberry, dark plum, baking spice and a lift of oak unfurl over time. The palate is bright, rich, smooth and seamless, showing a compact wine that gives great pleasure now and will continue to do so for the next 10 years and more.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 2

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, Ann, and Graham.  I'll enjoy a sugar cookie but not really a favorite.  I'm not big on fashion but I think most dailyites will celebrate the call of the horizon.  The Klein quote is all too often true.  I don't really pay a lot of attention to tennis.  I've been to San Antonio just once (Prinsendam, 2019) but Valparaiso several times including Zaandam's 2017 visit which I think was HAL's final call there.  When San Antonio I took a tour to Santiago so I never saw anything of the town.

I'll pass on the meal and really have no alternative today.

I hope no news is good news on the Baby Murphy front,

Heavy thunderstorms are forecast for today but the latest forecast is that it should be easy to get home before they start.

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily report.  The kids let me sleep in until 5:30 then they ganged up on me for breakfast.  It’s another humid day and ac is still required.  No real plans other than a trip to Aldi.  Sugar cookies are in my top 5, although I don’t get them that often.  Yesterday I packed for the Zaandam cruise, except for electronics.  I hope everyone has a good day today.
image.png.22137d4ddc6cda00c1fca449d86d0f88.png

• Like 29
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from the contributors.

Todays day review.

National Sugar Cookie Day. Why did the sugar cookie go to the doctor? Because it was feeling crumby.

Call of the Horizon Day. 

IMG_0690.thumb.jpeg.20303750173d74a60638635ed8529678.jpeg

Fashion Day. The Misses is bringing out the best today!

IMG_1113.thumb.png.ddb09d8b112dcc0855626dcbe96cf97f.png

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

OMG I start the day following a @RedneckBob post!😱 Need to get ready for church soon. Sugar cookies or any sweet would be fantastic at this point. Still on diet and so far 13 pounds have disappeared over the horizon.

We had some pretty heavy storms yesterday which brought us more rain but the worst of the storms passed just South of us.

OK need to make myself presentable for church and that is quite the endeavor.

Enjoy your Sunday, prayers where needed and a gracious thank you for all who faithfully contribute to the Daily. Bruce

image.jpeg.c0ea9b12ee766d291c058c1845d13bf6.jpegimage.jpeg.2c194f0bee27db5916307f5b514f915d.jpegimage.jpeg.d205700d6c89cff4cb83524acb2fcca8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.697ad40dd7e96b2b18e115bcde4298e2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d9ec8ceaea24e22f0bd6e2a8d4cf1045.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 10
  • Haha 26

Good morning.The weatherman just called our humidity " tropical". Thunderstorms will arrive later.Thankfully the AC's are doing their jobs.

We gave not been to the port but like sugar cookies.I used to love fashion and dressing up but I sure am over it now.I agree that today should be named for Roy as he always celebrates the horizon.

Last night everyone  was up at the same time,even the dogs. There was a hallway traffic jam. The two patients  eventually  went back to sleep but I never did. I think it will be quiet later and we can all take a nap.

Whoa. The weatherman just predicted heavy rain with two inches an hour possible.I have to get DH to an appt Monday afternoon and  it looks like more rain will accompany us. Life is a challenge at times.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich.

Nice collection of days.  I think I should try to celebrate and practice Call of the Horizon day.  That quote is quite true for a number, historically.

I only got a tiny dent in my to do list, yesterday.  Why do things always take longer than you think they will?  Hopefully I can put a bigger dent in it today.  

IMG_0763.jpeg.5474e00230519a7c1b1478ea3df288f8.jpeg

@aliaschief congratulations on the weight loss!

@StLouisCruisers I will be watching for an answer to your techie question.

Hoping for good news on Baby Murphy today.

So far, Ivan seems pretty good again today - encouraging.  Now to hope that the blood profile and pancreas test is good and I think we can move forward? 🤞

IMG_0762.jpeg.cf6a96f6793af3348b8466a88251bd5e.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list and those that need them.  Cheers to everyone celebrating and cruising.

IMG_0764.jpeg.32e83950ebb7be7c10ad40f20d61dfc8.jpeg

Have a good Sunday, everyone !

• Like 31
  • Haha 9

There's only one day in July that I don't have a sunrise or sunset and it's July 9.  This is from July 8, 2008 on a trip featuring Rovos Rail from Dar es Salaam to Cape Town.  On July 8 my brother and I were on a pre-boarding safari in Tanzania.

IMG_1037.JPG.5589b09ea57b7fb99a43a62f4a3

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Thank you to all who make the F & D possible.  I look forward to the photos of San Antonio.  We will disembark there on our February cruise.  Currently, I have a flight home at midnight the same day.  Could your pictures encourage me to extend our visit?🤔

A bit of more of Kline’s speech provides context for the quote. From his speech at convention of the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America held in Baltimore, in 1918. My friends, after this war, there will be a great unemployment problem. The munition plants will be closed and useless, and millions of munitions workers will be thrown out upon the market. And then the time will come to show whether you strikers and you workers believe one hundred per cent for organized labor or only 35 per cent. And my friends, in this story you have a history of this entire movement. First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. And then they attack you and want to burn you. And then they build monuments to you. And that is what is going to happen to the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America.  BTW, this quote is frequently misattribute to Gandhi.

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 13

Happy Sunday everyone. Expecting thunderstorms today. going to work in the garden before the storms come. I am going to bake some oatmeal cookies today. They will be good for my diabetes and will satisfy my sweet tooth. 

Thinking of all on the care list and celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 28

Good morning, everyone!

We are having a chilly start to the day here in mid-Michigan, but it promises to be nice and sunny today.  It rained all day yesterday, so we had movie day.  We watched a couple documentaries and then finished with 80 for Brady.   Lighthearted comedy was a good prescription.

Not much on the agenda for today.  I'm hoping to get back out and do some weeding in the flower beds.  That is a constant chore.  Yesterday's rain should make it easy to get the weeds out.  

The stuffed butternut squash looks and sounds wonderful.  I love butternut squash.  But, oh, my!  The carbs are quite high in this dish, so I can only have a taste.  One of the recipes is either a vegetarian entree or a side dish.  The others could be main dishes.  We'll start with this one:  https://www.wellplated.com/stuffed-butternut-squash/stuffedbutternutsquash1.thumb.jpg.d2a789d9605e8aa03498078761170c6b.jpg

That looks so good, but a serving packs 79 grams of carbs, almost my daily limit.  

This next one has only 51 grams of carbs per serving, still too high, but better than the first.  The addition of the chicken sausage makes it worthy of main dish status.  https://www.skinnytaste.com/stuffed-butternut-squash/

stuffedbutternutsquash2.thumb.jpg.2652ded4f9459c203418a1a6709831a0.jpg

This last recipe has about the same amount of carbohydrate, but includes bacon.  That alone makes it a winner!   https://juliasalbum.com/stuffed-butternut-squash-with-spinach-bacon-and-cheese/

stuffedbutternutsquash3.thumb.jpg.525c4d05f35f05f0e333f13340acd829.jpg

Mmmm good.

Hoping for good news about baby Murphy and wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 12

41 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning.The weatherman just called our humidity " tropical". Thunderstorms will arrive later.Thankfully the AC's are doing their jobs.

We gave not been to the port but like sugar cookies.I used to love fashion and dressing up but I sure am over it now.I agree that today should be named for Roy as he always celebrates the horizon.

Last night everyone  was up at the same time,even the dogs. There was a hallway traffic jam. The two patients  eventually  went back to sleep but I never did. I think it will be quiet later and we can all take a nap.

Whoa. The weatherman just predicted heavy rain with two inches an hour possible.I have to get DH to an appt Monday afternoon and  it looks like more rain will accompany us. Life is a challenge atday! 

Edited by RedneckBob