Mariner points for beverage package question

coachmouchet

So, in the past I have purchased the signature beverage package and would receive a credit for each sailing day.  For example, 7 day cruise, 7 days of the package = 14 days toward my Mariner status.  This also applied the same when I purchased the HIA.  So, my question is if I took a 7 day cruise, how many days credit would I receive if I purchased the Quench package?  This is the coffee and sodas package.

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, coachmouchet said:

Yeah, I have seen that before, but here is where it doesn't make sense.  The HIA is $350.  So if I take $350/300 that would be 1.167 days.  Do I multiply that by 7 for a 7 day cruise? 

You get up to 1 day credit, per day, for every $300 spending, and they round pretty generously. So, if the HIA was your only purchase you would get at least one day, probably 2.

58 minutes ago, coachmouchet said:

Yeah, I have seen that before, but here is where it doesn't make sense.  The HIA is $350.  So if I take $350/300 that would be 1.167 days.  Do I multiply that by 7 for a 7 day cruise? 

No, you would not multiply it. It's 1 1/6 days. If you paid 7 x $350, you'd get days galore. (Perhaps that's the "Have Everything There Is" plan. 😉)

Have It All increases your fare basis if you get it "included" with your cruise. In that case, I don't think it does anything. I'm not sure how they handle it when you purchase it as an add on after the fact.

If you buy a standalone beverage package, that counts as onboard spend. ("Have A Little Bit")

Maybe someone who added HIA after booking can weigh in?

2 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Maybe someone who added HIA after booking can weigh in?

Purchased it as add on for last cruise and we got 14 sailing days plus 14 bonus days for spending. (we spent next to nothing because of HIA).

I have also purchased it for as add on for next month on Nieuw Statendam, so will report back if there is any change.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Have It All increases your fare basis if you get it "included" with your cruise. In that case, I don't think it does anything.

Have It All, even when part of the fare, counts towards your Mariner points. HAL values the beverage package as if you purchased 15 beverages. And remember that there are usually two persons per account, so the HIA value is multiplied by 2. Each of the first 2 persons on the account are credited with the total spend. That's why spend days usually amount to the same number of sailing days. We have taken 7, 10 and 11 day cruises with the HIA fare and have each been credited with 14, 20 and 22 Mariner points without spending anything else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Have It All, even when part of the fare, counts towards your Mariner points. HAL values the beverage package as if you purchased 15 beverages. And remember that there are usually two persons per account, so the HIA value is multiplied by 2. Each of the first 2 persons on the account are credited with the total spend. That's why spend days usually amount to the same number of sailing days. We have taken 7, 10 and 11 day cruises with the HIA fare and have each been credited with 14, 20 and 22 Mariner points without spending anything else.

If I understand you correctly, you are getting credited for 15 x $11 or $165 per person per day?  And you didn't have any crew appreciation or gratuities?  Or. are you credited with the "cost" of what you drank - like $X for cappuccino and $Y for a soda?

We were credited with HAL's value of the included dinners (including the 18% gratuity), HAL's value of included Internet, HAL's value of the included shore excursion credit plus HAL's value of 15 included drinks (including the 18% gratuity). We normally book when HIA included Crew Incentive, so that was included as well. No way we would have been credited with the maximum spend days otherwise. Others have also reported this.

• Like 1

Just now, POA1 said:

If I understand you correctly, you are getting credited for 15 x $11 or $165 per person per day?  ...are you credited with the "cost" of what you drank - like $X for cappuccino and $Y for a soda?

My experience and "calculating" was that they had to be giving 15x$11x2persons, so no additional spending even necessary. This was back with the SBP and continued to be true when HIA became a thing.

But strangely on our B2B last winter, we got 9+9 for the first leg, but only 7+5 on the second. Fortunately that made us 4* by two points anyway. If we'd been two points UNDER, I'd have made a fuss! Probably just an accounting glitch.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Cruise Suzy said:

We were credited with HAL's value of the included dinners (including the 18% gratuity), HAL's value of included Internet, HAL's value of the included shore excursion credit plus HAL's value of 15 included drinks (including the 18% gratuity). We normally book when HIA included Crew Incentive, so that was included as well. No way we would have been credited with the maximum spend days otherwise. Others have also reported this.

Thank you. I stand corrected. (Sit corrected, really... but you know what I mean.)

2 hours ago, crystalspin said:

My experience and "calculating" was that they had to be giving 15x$11x2persons, so no additional spending even necessary. This was back with the SBP and continued to be true when HIA became a thing.

But strangely on our B2B last winter, we got 9+9 for the first leg, but only 7+5 on the second. Fortunately that made us 4* by two points anyway. If we'd been two points UNDER, I'd have made a fuss! Probably just an accounting glitch.

I didn’t get full points either but I was sailing solo.  I thought that was the reason.

I wasn’t too concerned as I was a) recovering from my elbow surgery and b) there’s nothing higher than 5* anyways 😂 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, kazu said:

I didn’t get full points either but I was sailing solo.  I thought that was the reason.

Unfortunately, even tho HAL charges double for solo passenger, it doesn't double the value of the HIA. We only get the max spend days because there are 2 HIA packages assigned to our account - and passengers 1 and 2 get days based on the total charged to the folio.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

...even tho HAL charges double for solo passenger, it doesn't double the value of the HIA.

Solos don't pay double for the HIA thank goodness!  We sure do pay double for the cabin though and don't get double Mariner days for that. 😞 I know that going in though so it's part of my decision-making process.

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

On 7/10/2023 at 2:30 AM, Cruise Suzy said:

Worth knowing. It might get us up to the next level. Does anyone know the actual value currently being placed oneach component of the HIA drinks, crew appreciation,specialty dining,wifi, and crew appreciation? Excursion  value and early Mariner booking OBC are obviously clear.

10 hours ago, Sailnsurf said:

Worth knowing. It might get us up to the next level. 

Just remember you can only get "Spend" points equal to the number of actual cruise days. With suite credit (that isn't an upsell), that makes the most you can get three times actual days. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've done 3 -7 day cruises with Hal. Cruise 1 i got the HIA with the booking. Cruises 2 and 3 I added the HIA after booking. On all 3 cruises I got 14 days, I assume 7 for the days sailed and 7 for the HIA package. 

Next cruise I'm not getting the HIA so will probably only get 1 extra day for the wine package.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

so just for clarity - drinks packages purchased before the cruise also count for bonus cruise days?

The T&C's make it seem like it is onboard purchases only?

Side question - my first HAL voyage.  Is the Quench package same price onboard as if you buy in advance?

Second question - we board late on day 1 - departure is 11pm -  if i buy in advance that very short period is included as if it was a full day.  Can i purchase onboard on day 2 for the rest of the 14 day voyageimage.thumb.png.8224b952aeb02dddd339b46009a28cc9.png

Edited by ferretktf
clarity

25 minutes ago, ferretktf said:

so just for clarity - drinks packages purchased before the cruise also count for bonus cruise days?

Side question - my first HAL voyage.  Is the Quench package same price onboard as if you buy in advance?

Second question - we board late on day 1 - departure is 11pm -  if i buy in advance that very short period is included as if it was a full day.  Can i purchase onboard on day 2 for the rest of the 14 day voyage

Beverage package cost the same whether pre-booked or bought on board, No reduction for buying on second day. Yes, all pre-booked items do count towards Mariner spending days.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ferretktf said:

Second question - we board late on day 1 - departure is 11pm -  if i buy in advance that very short period is included as if it was a full day.  Can i purchase onboard on day 2 for the rest of the 14 day voyageimage.thumb.png.8224b952aeb02dddd339b46009a28cc9.png

Shore excursions pre-booked and paid for also get you the spending credit.

• Like 1