The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday July 12th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Cow Appreciation Day, Etch A Sketch Day, and Paper Bag Day

Television has brought back murder into the home - where it belongs. - Alfred Hitchcock

Meal Suggestion for today - Garlic Butter Salmon
Drink of the Day - Spiced Cherry Sipper
Wine of the Day - Mt. Difficulty Riesling Central Otago Bannockburn Dry 2019
Destination of the Day - Puerto Chacabuco, Chile

Today in History:
1679 Britain's King Charles II ratifies Habeas Corpus Act allowing prisoners right to be imprisoned to be examined by a court

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Sitka, Alaska 0800-1600

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2000

Nieuw Statendam

Copenhagen, Denmark 0700-1700

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 1000-2200

Oosterdam

At Sea destination Split, Croatia eta 13 Jul

Rotterdam

Bergen, Norway 0800-1700

Volendam

Vancouver, Canada 0700-1600

Westerdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 1400-1800

Zaandam

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island 0800-1600

Zuiderdam at sea destination Qaqortoq, Greenland eta 7/13

0712World.thumb.png.da35180c72574db77134093e7d259517.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 15

Today’s Care list:

The passing of Mamofami’s friend Judi on 7/7

The passing of JazzyV’s friend Ruth on 7/11 

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, showing improvement

Smitty34877’s DH Lou recovering from surgery 

1Angelcat’s friend B with medical issues

Summer slope with a health issue

Kazu’s Ivan with health issue

Canadian/US wildfires; storms/flooding; dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

StLouisCruiser’s friend’s DB Mark with bile duct cancer

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Catmando (Marshhawk’s DH) with cancer recurrence

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome home Loveandpeas!

Denise T and Norseh2o booking new cruises

Engagement of Ottahand7’s niece and RMLincoln’s DGD

Kazu’s Ivan showing some improvement

Smitty34877’s good news about the pathology report

Bennybear’s (Brenda) good pathology report

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Cruzin Terri (Oceania Marina to July 23)

• Like 22
  • Thanks 15

Good morning.

It has been raining all morning and it is 18°C.

Thank you Rich for today's daily reports.

Without cow's we would have no milk or beef so I appreciate them a lot.

Paper bags are coming back into fashion in our supermarkets with cutting back on plastic bags.

Murder should be no where.

Today's food sounds good.

1679 was another important English historical day.

Take care and stay safe friends.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Happy Hump Day!  Thanks for the Fleet Report.

We had rain last night, and it's cooler this morning.  Nice and sunny so that's good.

I love cows, they're beautiful.  I haven't used an Etch a Sketch in years.   Paper bags are very useful.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipes.

I'm sure the drink and wine will be good too.

The Habeas Corpus Act is very important in our society.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Spiced Cherry Sipper cocktail:

Ingredients:
2 Parts Basil Hayden's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
0.75 Part Cherry Liqueur
1 Dash Bitters
2 Parts Milk Stout Beer
1 Pinch Grated Nutmeg
Maraschino Cherries
Directions:
Combine Basil Hayden’s, cherry liquor and bitters in a mixing glass. Add ice and shake. Roll in the milk stout beer. Strain into an old fashioned glass with ice. Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg and a cherry on top.

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 6.49.38 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 14

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  Happy Hump Day.   I use paper bags to organize my recycling stuff and appreciate cows for both milk and their meat.  I haven't looked at an Etch A Sketch in years.  This day in 1679 was truly a great day in history.  I've been to Puerto Chacabuco just once; it was the Prinsendam Grand South America in 2019.  I'll pass on the salmon.  My alternative is Fresh Fruit Medley, Parmesan Crusted Veal Loin, and NSA Vanilla Ice Cream as served on MS Rotterdam VI July 12, 2011, the first dinner of my modern cruising history on HAL

It looks like quite a heat wave coming so I'll do most of my walking inside the mall for the next several days,

Roy

• Like 32

Good morning friends!  Today it will be sunny and 91F but it's only 69 right now.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for this edition of the Daily and Fleet Report!

I appreciate all cows, was an inexperienced etch-a-sketch user as a child, and have nothing against paper bags.  Another crazy Hitchcock quote.  DH would love the garlic butter salmon recipe.  I don't think I'd care for the spiced cherry sipper or the riesling.  Another King Charles making history!  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today!  

Thanks also to Vanessa @JazzyV for already posting the Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers for you Vanessa and your friend Ruth's family as you mourn her death.  Prayers also for those still on the Care list, my DB, my friend's DB Mark, and anyone else in need of them. 🙏  Hoping to hear Baby Murhphy is doing fine and going home soon.  Congrats to our Celebration list folks, and to our lone cruiser Terri @Cruzin Terri.  Others will be joining that group soon thankfully.🚢

Today's port is Puerto Chacabuco, Chile.  I haven't been to that port before.  The two times we had that port before was June 14, 2021 and Jan. 8, 2022 so quite a while ago.  Please feel free to check the links below for your photos if you have any to share.  Thanks in advance!

DH waited all day yesterday for the mowing crew to come and do our street so he could move my car out of the garage into the driveway, then rotate his tires on his car.  He always does that at home.  But they failed to show even though it was sunny all day.  Now this morning when he attempts to get that job done the mowers will show up.  Just you wait!  

Hope you all have a great day and stay safe and healthy!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone.  It’s going to be a hot one here today.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  Nice collection of days, cows are wonderful creatures and it’s nice to see paper bags replacing plastic.  I spent hours on my etch a sketch when I was a kid.  I can almost hear Alfred Hitchcock uttering those words as he introduced his show.  The salmon sounds tasty but I think I’ll skip the drink.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and condolences to @JazzyV on the loss of your friend Ruth.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 26

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all the contributors!

Cow Appreciation Day. Early this morning I got with the dairy cows and we formed a circle and in appreciation of their efforts we had a mooing experience! 😀
It was udderly wonderful.

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 3
  • Haha 18

51 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It has been raining all morning and it is 18°C.

Thank you Rich for today's daily reports.

Without cow's we would have no milk or beef so I appreciate them a lot.

Paper bags are coming back into fashion in our supermarkets with cutting back on plastic bags.

Murder should be no where.

Today's food sounds good.

1679 was another important English historical day.

Take care and stay safe friends.

Screenshot_20230712_122642.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 8

Good morning. Watched footage yesterday of the flooding in Vermont. My home town Montpelier really was flooded. The town looks the same but of course many of the businesses have changed. My old home is far enough away from the North Branch and Winnooski  rivers that it shouldn’t be affected but downtown area is another story.

Currently 76 here and sounds like most of the day will be overcast.

Have some banking chores this morning and need a trip to local hardware store for some items.

Hitchcock quote is terrible and murder is wrong anywhere and anytime. 
I have special bonding with cows as I have a Bovine aortic valve that replaced my original. Wife does state I moo in my sleep now and then but I do feel slight guilt when being carnivorous!

Debbie, Dixie, Ann, Vanessa and Rich thanks for your loyal postings. Have a great Hump Day everyone. Bruce

image.jpeg.fd2ee11d34b8ef9fe4635669bdc66832.jpegimage.jpeg.37df5df03967ffa732ba951f50c773c1.jpegimage.jpeg.88ae265668fbb2aa53bacb675bab77f7.jpegimage.jpeg.ebb0749b0be2293bd94f998e9bef1642.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.46ba3941034666e2fd34117181fefb7a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.739a3b4b43accb72db7a06b9643ecd79.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Haha 26

Good morning.  It is a beautiful morning here on the lake and a cool 51 degrees.  Hopefully calm winds so we can go fishing today, it blew up whitecaps yesterday.  

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports for us each day @richwmn.   I still ask for plastic at the store but keep paper bags around because they are handy for packing things. Plastic bags go back to the store for recycling.  Cows are a big part of my family history as my grandparents had dairy farms and also their sons ran a dairy processing plant. A strange quote from Hitchcock.  Pass on salmon, will have my Basil Hayden's on the rocks and I think our wine will be difficult to find.  I have been to Puerto Chacabaco and will have to look for photos.  

@JazzyV I am sad to hear the passing of your DF Ruth.  Prayers for everyone on our Care list and the people of Ukraine.  

We had a brief power failure this morning.  For some reason the inverter was on off not auto so for the first time the batteries got low so the generator didn't kick in.  I went out at 5:30 am and figured out the issue, put the inverter to auto, the generator started and the power came on.  First time hearing the generator all summer, we have had a lot of cloudy weather.  Now to find my port photos. 

• Like 26

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! A spectacular morning. Last night’s rain brought the morning temps down! The birds were very happily hunting for breakfast!

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. Prayers for Ruth, you and her family and friends. 

A much needed manicure is on this morning’s schedule the beach and pool have taken their toll. Bindi walks, chores, HIIT class and - weather permitting - pool time will fill the rest of the day. 

IMG_1426.jpeg.2f6b6eae8fd57ac47f00215955655c30.jpeg

IMG_1315.jpeg.578678e2c5400ddc47d08ad2e773520e.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone. 

Mt. Difficulty Riesling Central Otago Bannockburn Dry 2019

This one was tough. I guess the fact that it comes from Mt. Difficulty was a clue!

The only info I found for this specific vintage was on a distributor’s website. And I did not find anyone who ships to me. If you live in New Zealand, you will be able to find it for prices starting at $28.79.

Vines on line - New Zealand distributor

Aroma

This wine displays aromas of ripe stonefruit blossom, peach, tangerine notes mingled together with underlying pear notes. 

Palate

The palate displays these same characters in abundance focusing on ripe succulent peach notes while the mid palate is full, creamy and well textured. The wine has a rich, spice infused finish. A pure joy to drink!

Serving Suggestions

The Mt Difficulty Riesling goes hand and hand with creamy brie, chocolate and dried fruit platters.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 2

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  It’s going to be a hot and humid day with little relief in sight.  Luckily for us it’s not as hot as those elsewhere.  I appreciate what cows give us.  I prefer plastic bags to paper simply because I use them to clean out the litter boxes.  I also add trash to them and haven’t bought garbage bags in a very long time.  I’m done work at 1 today and will run to the grocery store, I have a coupon for free eggs and bacon is on sale.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

@dfish the countdown is on!

image.thumb.png.a331d2e02aa15d821c8cdcce40b53a8c.png

• Like 19
  • Haha 12

In Puerto Chacabaco I did a HA shorex which was horseback riding in river country.  It was a gloomy day and cool so I layered up and brought my fold up raincoat.  Before I got on my horse it started to sprinkle so I put on another layer.  It was a nice drive into Aysen district and Patagonia.   We had a great time and were treated to an excellent snack in a typical ranch home.   My horse was headstrong and always wanted to eat so I couldn't get any photos from our ride.  This was on Volendam Grand South America 2023. 

IMG_20230125_141240063_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230125_140415898.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20230125_082003483_HDR.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20230125_140412250.jpg

IMG_20230125_141628063_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230125_141313761_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230125_142424557_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230125_131637734_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230125_131636629_HDR.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Good morning a sunny and warm 80F feeling like 86F central Texas.  The predicted high is 104F with an excessive heat warning.  Normally, I would get my walk in asap, but today I'm heading to Ft. Worth to finish the Total Wine list.  Our cardbordeaux "cellar" is getting empty, and we can't have that.  🤣  Since DH is staying home as it's too hot to sit in the car, I'll also add W-M on the way up, and a few other stores in the general area.

I appreciate what cows can do for us, but after all these years watching Dr. Pol, I'll appreciate them from afar.  I found the DDs' Etch A Sketch in the attic a couple of years ago, still in good condition.  I think it's still there, but it may have been donated to a thrift store or one of the DDs have it.  Paper bags are good, and that reminds me, I need to dig out my reusable shopping bags.

While I don't condone murder, a good murder mystery either on tv or in a book is entertaining.  The Alfred Hitchcock quote is good and I too can hear him saying it.

The garlic butter salmon sounds good.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine, but a medium Riesling is nice.

We have not been to Puerto Chacabuco, Chile.

Today's day in history codified a much needed legal tenet.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I hope you DH gets the tires rotated and your car back in the garage before the mowers arrive.  We have a car or two that they say do not rotate the tires.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm glad you figured out the problem with the inverter.  Thank you for the pictures.

Now, I better get ready to head out since I want to be home before it gets really hot.  I also need to reboot the router.

356431370_301786755539081_2524524367131354227_n.thumb.jpg.0ecbd80ca660aac60301d4ad45524653.jpg

356634715_2386778674864316_2023959915159462950_n.jpg.f301dd06a0318de21af1ba461ab15ceb.jpg

358407030_656257656527587_4302984630499476634_n.jpg.35e6b4fc73e7ffa0e508df99f118f4dc.jpg

357533361_742863064508508_8451479249655684207_n.thumb.jpg.8a2b0f29181e60d49dd5298c1dabb1f7.jpg

357074202_717213123746832_3019428374043046074_n.thumb.jpg.03924ae61583d730d65024776f83c9e0.jpg

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Haha 25

Good afternoon from the lovely Oceania Marina where we are having a rare sea day.

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie and Ann.

Prayers for @JazzyV Vanessa on the loss of you friend and to Carol @mamaofami on the loss of you close friend as well,.

Prayers for Baby Murphy and all those who are ill and recovering from Surgery.

I continue to have trouble being booted from the internet and have not resolved the problem. 

Tomorrow we are in Gothenburg, Sweden and the weather promises to be rainy as it does for each port for the remainder of the trip.  That is a real bummer.

Happy belated birthday to Father David.  I am really sorry that I have not been able to listen to his sermons for the last few Sundays.  I am unable to stream on my internet package.

My cold is better.

Will post when I am able and when my ghost device allows me to do so.

God bless,

Terri

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Thank you to all who post on the F & D.  I am looking forward to the pictures of Chacabuco as I will be there in February.

I carry reusable bags for my purchases. IMG_7648.thumb.jpeg.b5a035c5d3c38009ac5af86d8a434491.jpeg

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 25
  • Haha 7

29 minutes ago, MrSnuffleupagus said:

Thank you for the fleet report. Cows are very social animals. 

So true!  Ever notice on Dr. Pol how all the cows come in close to gawk at whatever is happening with the cow Dr. Pol or the other vets are working on??  So nosy...uhhh, I mean social!🐄

2 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Thank you to all who post on the F & D.  I am looking forward to the pictures of Chacabuco as I will be there in February.

I carry reusable bags for my purchases. IMG_7648.thumb.jpeg.b5a035c5d3c38009ac5af86d8a434491.jpeg

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

I was thinking that same thing this morning!  We were encouraged to save trees by going plastic.🙄

• Like 18