Viva - age limit?

Rebel54

I was on Viva last year.  Don’t think there were any age restrictions but at 55, I was definitely among the younger in the group.  Feel free to message me with any questions.  I also live blogged my trip.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rebel54 said:

Does anyone know if Viva allows children and is there an age minimum.

What age are we talking about? Kids are usually allowed on river cruises. But they might not have any triple cabins (or only one or two). VIVA is not an adult only cruise line and there are at least some board games and more. But VIVA does not have any kids´ facilities. The only ship I know of is the new A-Rosa Sena which has a kids club.

My DD was 5yo on her first European river cruise (and 18 months on her first US river cruise).

steamboats

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

I think they are the main one I have heard age restrictions on. I have had young children on my river cruises.

I like Viking's age limit--having kids on a ship with tight quarters would annoy the heck out of me.  Especially when the parents are oblivious to the bad behavior of their kids.  But that's another story for another day.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

I like Viking's age limit--having kids on a ship with tight quarters would annoy the heck out of me.  Especially when the parents are oblivious to the bad behavior of their kids.  But that's another story for another day.

Honestly - I have to say the kids on my river cruises were exceptionally well behaved. I did not hear one complaint what so ever. Their parents obviously did something right.

I completely understand what you are saying after being on ocean cruises with kids who are not well behaved. It drives me crazy when parents let their kids act inappropriately and don't care. They give the well behaved kids a bad rap because the well behaved kids often go un-noticed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coral said:

Honestly - I have to say the kids on my river cruises were exceptionally well behaved. I did not hear one complaint what so ever. Their parents obviously did something right.

I completely understand what you are saying after being on ocean cruises with kids who are not well behaved. It drives me crazy when parents let their kids act inappropriately and don't care. They give the well behaved kids a bad rap because the well behaved kids often go un-noticed.

We have a nephew who has 4 kids 11 and under.  They are not well supervised by their parents.  I have had to bite my tongue at so many family events ruined for me because those kids are out of control.....I shudder at the thought of a cruise ruined because I am trapped on a ship with unruly small children--thank you Viking!!

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

I am 100% with you there.  I can say one thing about my daughter, she is way more strict as a parent than I was.  My grandson knows what's up.  He's a toddler right now, easy to entertain and quite well traveled at his age.  I can't say he will never act up but he knows that he will be dealt with and my daughter is not a "let your kids be kids" kind of parent.  He already understands time out very well.  You only have to tell him once. 

Good afternoon,

Thank you all.  I did manage to find the english FAQ's but still could not find any age references.  I did email their company so hope to get an answer.  I'm referring to my 2 year old grandson who will be 4ish when we plan to take this cruise.  He will still be young enough where he won't be "bored" and we can keep him busy and entertained.  I commented already but my daughter is a very strict parent when it comes to public behavior.  She was taught at a young age that there are appropriate ways to behave in public and she has carried that over to him. She's probably way more strict than I ever was but she's a great mom and I appreciate that she's teaching him to be a gentleman in public :). 

We want to do a Christmas cruise so I'm just trying to gather info in advance.  Viva looks to be a great price point for their budget so we will try it out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coral said:

On both of my river cruises there were tween/teens and they were very good, respectful and delightful to talk to.  They were with their grandparents both times and really seemed to enjoy the history aspect of the tours.

Just now, Rebel54 said:

On both of my river cruises there were tween/teens and they were very good, respectful and delightful to talk to.  They were with their grandparents both times and really seemed to enjoy the history aspect of the tours.

I think we can all agree that well behaved adults and kids are delightful to be around. 🙂

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rebel54 said:

I did manage to find the english FAQ's but still could not find any age references.  I did email their company so hope to get an answer. 

That is probably the best thing to do. Could not find out in the German website as such but did find info that children get reduction on some cruises (prices info boxes in the download catalogue). Which would suggest that children of all ages are okay. But best to check for the itinerary you are looking at.

notamermaid

• Like 1