Is it Just Me or is calling X Customer Service a Nightmare Lately?

23 minutes ago, binro01 said:

I was the same. Until I was able to save over 2k on a group rate. I gladly gave up that control. I use a small travel agency of just a husband and wife team. I have their cell and they always answer a call or a text. No call center, no wait time. Its been a real eye opener when you find a good one.

Wow.  That’s good.  I may have to reconsider the “control” thing.  I’m working on it 😉

12 hours ago, blueboro said:

It is not just you.  I was on the phone for almost an hour a couple of weeks ago trying to book our party of 8 in a specialty restaurant using on-board credit.  Took almost an hour to finally tell me they could/would not be able to do it.  Then, we booked 2 parties of 4 thru our travel agent and X booked the incorrect night, cancelled previous reservation for the evening they incorrectly booked, and then cancelled a different specialty restaurant reservation a few days later.  Our travel agent said she had never experienced such bad service.

No it is not you! Last week I lost 4 hours of my life dealing with a number of "agents" because my final balance was incorrect when My Rewards credits were not put onto the balance. Long delay to just get an answer, very heavy accents, put on hold often and agent returns with no information, transferred to someone else but put in cue so more wait time. After three and a half hours I was given the number to call, agent knew just what I was talking about, and solved the problem in 15 minutes., He then took my payment and immediately sent a confirmation.  All of this could have been solved if their agents were properly trained and if there was less outsourcing.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

I like to have control of the reservation myself.

So do I. I have never found a TA that was helpful  Also, that is not an answer to the problem. That just allows the problem to continue

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, mlmbar said:

So do I. I have never found a TA that was helpful  Also, that is not an answer to the problem. That just allows the problem to continue

Since there are over 1,800 agents involved in booking cruises here in the U.S., I Am sure you can find  one that will be helpful to your specification(s) as a few of us here on CC have.

Then when they become overwhelmingly less helpful, or we do not or choose not to understand the dialect (U.S. regional or international) of English they speak, we move on to another agent/agency... where they will speak just like we want them to.

Many of us use agents to handle issues so we do not personally need to be on the phone for 'hours' at a time to get resolutions/answers/responses, often times. Those of us who choose not to use agents are doomed to be on the phone, potentially, for hours trying to get something resolved or changed or explained or corrected. This is by choice, not necessarily by chance or is it???

Been there, done that and not going back unless I cannot avoid it... all in the name of 'control'.

As in the OP's issue, a quick search of X's website would have presented the answers, easily and without waiting on hold!!!

At any rate, enjoy the sailing and I trust all is to satisfaction from this point, during the sailing and after the return...

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Can't say I've called customer service in years other than for an occasional price adjustment. In this case Google would you given you the answer within a few seconds. No matter how well laid out a website or app may be, there will always be a group of people that still can't figure it out or won't use it, then complain about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Since there are over 1,800 agents involved in booking cruises here in the U.S., I Am sure you can find  one that will be helpful to your specification(s) as a few of us here on CC have.

Then when they become overwhelmingly less helpful, or we do not or choose not to understand the dialect (U.S. regional or international) of English they speak, we move on to another agent/agency... where they will speak just like we want them to.

Many of us use agents to handle issues so we do not personally need to be on the phone for 'hours' at a time to get resolutions/answers/responses, often times. Those of us who choose not to use agents are doomed to be on the phone, potentially, for hours trying to get something resolved or changed or explained or corrected. This is by choice, not necessarily by chance or is it???

Been there, done that and not going back unless I cannot avoid it... all in the name of 'control'.

As in the OP's issue, a quick search of X's website would have presented the answers, easily and without waiting on hold!!!

At any rate, enjoy the sailing and I trust all is to satisfaction from this point, during the sailing and after the return...

bon voyage

I do not care to use a travel agent. Been there , done that. My daughter works in the travel industry and is constantly unraveling TA mistakes. I like 24/7 availability  As far as my issue, there was NOTHING on the website regarding rewards points. If they are going to make these available, then  their people should all be trained in where they can send a caller with a question about points rather than incorrect info, hold, or send back to Bank of America which sends you back to Celebrity   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I always used a travel agent in the past. Not that they were particularly helpful, more like order takers. I'd love to find an agent that would really find great deals and alert me. The last time I booked a cruise with an agent I was trying to decide between 2 cruises and asked for their opinion and got nothing. Then covid came. I had just made final payment on an Alaska cruise when the world started shutting down. I contacted my TA and their attitude was deal with the cruiseline yourself, here's a form. Never heard from them again. 

21 minutes ago, mlmbar said:

I do not care to use a travel agent. Been there , done that. My daughter works in the travel industry and is constantly unraveling TA mistakes. I like 24/7 availability  As far as my issue, there was NOTHING on the website regarding rewards points. If they are going to make these available, then  their people should all be trained in where they can send a caller with a question about points rather than incorrect info, hold, or send back to Bank of America which sends you back to Celebrity   

My Bad, I did not intend to insinuate that ALL issues can be resolved via X's website, which is patently clear, knowing the issue you were referring to, it would take human intervention to correct....

IMO, training in any company is always evolving, improving (hopefully) and becomes overly helpful no matter the point of contact.

I could not even venture to guess how often a situation similar to yours comes up to many of the CSR's, yet I trust if there are many, then it is noted by trainers so they can get the info to the front line on how to handle.

Happy to know that it is corrected at this juncture and I trust you have a great sailing despite the time it took to correct.

bon voyage

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

My Bad, I did not intend to insinuate that ALL issues can be resolved via X's website, which is patently clear, knowing the issue you were referring to, it would take human intervention to correct....

IMO, training in any company is always evolving, improving (hopefully) and becomes overly helpful no matter the point of contact.

I could not even venture to guess how often a situation similar to yours comes up to many of the CSR's, yet I trust if there are many, then it is noted by trainers so they can get the info to the front line on how to handle.

Happy to know that it is corrected at this juncture and I trust you have a great sailing despite the time it took to correct.

bon voyage

LOL NO, you are not bad! Yes, four hours wasted but it was solved. Training is the key but it isn't being done completely. I am familiar with this because my daughter faces these challenges all day with her job. She deals with the outsourcing people not being fully trained and she is the troubleshooter. 

BTW my travel partner lives in LSD, Milton. Heading there tomorrow

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mlmbar said:

LOL NO, you are not bad! Yes, four hours wasted but it was solved. Training is the key but it isn't being done completely. I am familiar with this because my daughter faces these challenges all day with her job. She deals with the outsourcing people not being fully trained and she is the troubleshooter. 

BTW my travel partner lives in LSD, Milton. Heading there tomorrow

Milton!!! Is just, pending on traffic (LOL), 35 minutes away... 

We are in RB (not proper but zip)....

How long will you be in town?

Chat later.. bon voyage

2 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Milton!!! Is just, pending on traffic (LOL), 35 minutes away... 

We are in RB (not proper but zip)....

How long will you be in town?

Chat later.. bon voyage

LOL Pending traffic this time of year could be hours! I am there at least once a month all year. LOVE it there. We go to RB off season. Great restaurants in the area and we use the beaches mainly on the bay  Short visit this time.  Later!!  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Wow.  That’s terrible that they charge someone for an emergency phone call from land. The customer service rep certainly didn’t share that part.  I seriously doubt my pet sitter will pay that fee!  I guess I should tell my pet sitter and family if my cat or someone in the family dies to put them on ice.  I believe in the past someone could call that number and relay a message for no fee for the passenger and then the passenger pays to call off the ship.  

Not on Celebrity.  Maybe you are thinking of some other cruise line.  Calling to the ship has always been expensive.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paulh84 said:

Can't say I've called customer service in years other than for an occasional price adjustment. In this case Google would you given you the answer within a few seconds. No matter how well laid out a website or app may be, there will always be a group of people that still can't figure it out or won't use it, then complain about it. 

I’m guess I’m one of the stupid ones. Please forgive me.

2 hours ago, mlmbar said:

Spot on!  They are a disaster with the whole rewards thing.  It took me days to find the right phone number to redeem and no one at X was helpful.  I found a phone number buried in my password book and it worked by chance.  I had ZERO problems redeeming my rewards in November with Royal.  X definitely has a problem.  My 17 son just said he had a project in school this year where he had to do multiple mock cruise bookings.  He said X was the most difficult to navigate and Royal was the easiest.  So we’re NOT crazy!🤪

Never mind my last post if you saw it.  You CAN use onboard credit before the cruise!  You learn something new every day.  Still a ridiculously long wait time and utter confusion.  The customer service rep was very nice though.

Edited by Cruzinforpeace***

On 7/15/2023 at 1:08 PM, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

It seems like every time I call for anything it’s a super long wait and then the customer service rep always seems completely clueless and usually barely speaks English. They also always need to “check with a supervisor”.

Right now I’m on hold waiting for an emergency phone number so my family or cat sitter can reach me in an emergency on the ship.  We don’t get the internet plan so we need that number just in case.  Am I the only one experiencing this?  Is this yet another cost cutting measure?  We didn’t experience this with Royal in November.  Wonder if other cruise lines have the same issue.

Emergency number should be in your cruise documents or from Celebrity Cruises website:

For all Celebrity ships:
• Dial: 1-877-266-1020(applicable country code)+1-321-953-9002 (outside the United States)
• Dial the appropriate number above. 
• The caller will be asked to enter the credit card number and expiration date. 
• The system obtains a real-time hold for $79.50 ($7.95 x 10 minutes) and initiates the call to the ship. The $79.50 hold is the maximum that will be held. Actual charges will be calculated based on the number of minutes used on the call. 
• A voice prompt directs the caller to the specific ship. 
• The call is connected to the ship. 
• The call rings through to the designated department onboard (Radio Station or Purser Desk). The call is then routed to the guest's stateroom. 
• The PBX monitors the call. If there is no answer, the call will ring back at the designated department onboard (Radio Station or Purser Desk) and a written message is taken for delivery to the guest's stateroom.

• Thanks 1

Just another data point- I called Celebrity (Captains Club) yesterday about a booking that wasn't showing up....waiting time was estimated at 8 minutes and was actually about 15. I spoke with a very pleasant, efficient, representative who was able to see (and reassure me about) my reservation AND move my dining time. She even checked on a question I had about credit for past cruises. This representative could not have been more helpful to me.

• Thanks 2

When booking we call early and usually have no wait or  a few minutes.  For correctikns or other isdues  minimal wait time.  Agents speak Englush and try to be helpful but some are better than others.  Must always double check .

OP: you can get a basic internet plan before you dail....Then use computers in the  tech center to check e mails and get upates from the pet sitter. Worth it for peace of mind.

On 7/15/2023 at 4:08 PM, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

It seems like every time I call for anything it’s a super long wait and then the customer service rep always seems completely clueless and usually barely speaks English. They also always need to “check with a supervisor”.

Right now I’m on hold waiting for an emergency phone number so my family or cat sitter can reach me in an emergency on the ship.  We don’t get the internet plan so we need that number just in case.  Am I the only one experiencing this?  Is this yet another cost cutting measure?  We didn’t experience this with Royal in November.  Wonder if other cruise lines have the same issue.

There will be delays because of Reflection being moved to Beyond. 

• Like 1

Someone mentioned just Googling to find answers. Well I can tell you that many companies update their website but do not scrub their old pages from the internet, they simply delink them from the website. Goigle will find correct info as well as outdated info. So if you Google,  make sure you are looking at the date of the page. To make it more difficult many companies do not date each individual page. Try googling a question. Betting you come up with different answers even on the official website. 

• Thanks 2

On 7/15/2023 at 6:45 PM, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Wow.  That’s terrible that they charge someone for an emergency phone call from land. The customer service rep certainly didn’t share that part.  I seriously doubt my pet sitter will pay that fee!  I guess I should tell my pet sitter and family if my cat or someone in the family dies to put them on ice.  I believe in the past someone could call that number and relay a message for no fee for the passenger and then the passenger pays to call off the ship.  I may have to break down and get an internet package so I can at least be available online.  Ugh.  I really wanted to unplug.

Pretty sure they make people pay otherwise it would be full of people calling in just to chat for free.  "Hey - just calling to see where we keep the extra ziploc bags" and "how's the weather there in Santorini".  Check with your service provider - see if they have an international roaming plan.  It may be less expensive to pay for one month of that than an internet plan.  You can still "unplug" as much as you want by just not bothering to check your phone.  Put your phone on do not disturb.  Put the cat sitter/ your family contact as an emergency contact.  They will still ring/beep/chime through (phone or text) and everyone else will be muted.

• Thanks 1

Also - if you have an international plan added - they may charge you to make a phone call internationally, but not to use the internet / text.  I usually make sure to put my phone on wi-fi calling for the preference for calls.  I avoid any charges for phone call and the calls go over internet instead.

On 7/15/2023 at 7:34 PM, poeticlicensed said:

I'm of the mind that if they would improve the app and the website, that would eliminate a good percentage of the calls to CS. Then the people who really have an issue that needs a human to deal with it wouldn't be sitting in a queue behind people who just need to make a payment or find an answer to a question.  I'm one of those people who hates calling customer service. I love being able to do everything online. If I need to interact I'd rather do it through an email or chat feature. I rarely have to call hotels or airlines for much of anything anymore because most of the ones I use have good websites and apps. I remember the days when you had to call customer service for everything travel related. Don't wish to return to those days. I do not understand why Celebrity doesn't throw some money at developing a good app and website that's easy to navigate, intuitive and doesn't screw up. 

If they improved the website navigation, people would not be held captive and have to listen to that endless dribble about the Retreat, seeing wild animals in Alaska, learning about the same chef, etc.

Edited by keesar
  • Like 1