How Crowded Is Europe Right Now?

Last year we were lucky and took a long Mediterranean cruise in March and April. It was so nice to not be overwhelmed with other tourists.  For many of our guides, it was their first work in two years. The only place we felt crowded was Venice. 

How crowded are the popular sites now? I read that Chinese tourists are back, and more Americans are returning too. 

We will be on Voyage of the Vikings this month and I was just curious how bad is it right now?

• Like 1

Have been to Europe at least once (and often two or more times) a year every year (save COVID) for the last 20 years.

How crowded?  Never seen it this crowded before.  Virtually everywhere.

Advice?  Pack an extra suitcase and fill it with patience.  If you do that, you will likely smooth your way.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Last year we were lucky and took a long Mediterranean cruise in March and April. It was so nice to not be overwhelmed with other tourists.  For many of our guides, it was their first work in two years. The only place we felt crowded was Venice. 

How crowded are the popular sites now? I read that Chinese tourists are back, and more Americans are returning too. 

We will be on Voyage of the Vikings this month and I was just curious how bad is it right now?

The school holidays in most of Europe begin in 1-2 weeks time so it will be busy until the beginning of September 

Currently the Mediterranean resorts are having a heatwave with temperatures over 100°F.

July and August temperatures are usually around 80-85°F every day with very few rain days.

Best wishes for a great cruise.

• Thanks 2

It's bad. From an article published today:

"Tourists are waiting more than two hours to visit the Acropolis in Athens. Taxi lines at Rome's main train station are running just as long. And so many visitors are gathering around St. Mark's Square in Venice that crowds get backed up crossing bridges — even on weekdays.

After three years of pandemic limitations, tourism is expected to exceed 2019 records in some of Europe's most popular destinations this summer."

https://omaha.com/eedition/sunrise/articles/tourists-mostly-american-packing-european-hot-spots/article_28afbef7-e247-5651-904d-9543beb3812f.html

• Like 2

Take a look at the various webcams around Europe and you can measure the slow influx of crowds over the summer months. I routinely check St Marks Square in Venice myself. (Used to live in this area.)

However, Voyage of the Vikings may not be impacted since you go to so many out of the way spots. 

Travel cost increases and inflation/recession hitting pretty much everyone post-"covid",  means there is not as much discretionary travel money to spend ...... to yet reach former tourism volumes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

the dollar is also down compared to the Euro....

That is not good for the American visiting Europe. During Covid the Euro and dollar reached parity. The Euro now seems to be headed back to a "normal" position.

• Like 1

Was just in Amsterdam, Paris, Bayeux, and Reims. Paris was jammed to the gills. Bayeux and Reims didn't seem crowded. Never been to Amsterdam, so can't really determine how busy it was, but have definitely been to busier major cities in Europe. Amsterdam didn't even feel half as crowded as Paris.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

Exactly why we decided to forego Europe this year and visit Alaska instead. Hopefully next year things will have calmed down a bit and people will have gotten their need for "covid revenge travel" out of their system 

Alaska is not exactly empty either.

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

Have been to Europe at least once (and often two or more times) a year every year (save COVID) for the last 20 years.

How crowded?  Never seen it this crowded before.  Virtually everywhere.

Advice?  Pack an extra suitcase and fill it with patience.  If you do that, you will likely smooth your way.  

Wow. Thanks for the update. 

DD DH & I always went to Europe in the less prime season.  Either early spring or later in the fall.  Weather is nicer and it is far less crowded.

But due to the ports of Voyage of the Vikings - I don’t think you will have serious issues since they are not the “prime” ones many want to visit.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, kazu said:

DD DH & I always went to Europe in the less prime season.

Same here.   

Even toured London and Paris in mid January and did just fine w/low to no crowds.

I wish HAL would extend the Europe season a little more to take advantage of the less crowded times. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, kazu said:

DD DH & I always went to Europe in the less prime season.  Either early spring or later in the fall.  Weather is nicer and it is far less crowded.

But due to the ports of Voyage of the Vikings - I don’t think you will have serious issues since they are not the “prime” ones many want to visit.

I just read one article that even Stornoway is overwhelmed.  

Agree,  we normally prefer to visit Europe in September or March. We prefer cooler temperatures and less crowding but have always wanted to do the Voyage of the Vikings so we are finally doing it. Upside? We will skip the heat in Colorado right now by heading north. 

Edited by JeffElizabeth
  • Like 2

Just off the NS in Copenhagen a couple of days ago.  2 hour wait for Taxi.  And, no joke, that was the short line.... People missed flights...   At the airport, it was 1.5 hours for luggage to show.  5 wide body planes at one time at one carrousel!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

Same here.   

Even toured London and Paris in mid January and did just fine w/low to no crowds.

I wish HAL would extend the Europe season a little more to take advantage of the less crowded times. 

There's a trans-Atlantic on Nieuw Statendam departing Civitavecchia on Nov 26th. That's pretty late for HAL and there are some low prices to boot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

There's a trans-Atlantic on Nieuw Statendam departing Civitavecchia on Nov 26th. That's pretty late for HAL and there are some low prices to boot.

Yea...I saw that and we've tried to figure a way to make that work.....Incredible price.  Problem is it departs Thanksgiving weekend......

30 minutes ago, Mosaic said:

Just off the NS in Copenhagen a couple of days ago.  2 hour wait for Taxi.  And, no joke, that was the short line.... People missed flights...   At the airport, it was 1.5 hours for luggage to show.  5 wide body planes at one time at one carrousel!  

I live in Denmark and I stay home on days cruise ships are in port. Pretty much all of Denmark takes July off. Between the locals, foreign tourists, and cruise ship passengers, my city is zoo. I can hear the ship horns from my balcony... so that's my "all-clear" to go out 😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4