Norwegian Joy adding more cabins and removing spaces in January 2024

shof515

The Norwegian Joy will be drydock in January 2024 with the following changes:

Galaxy Pavilion is being removed and will be replaced with a Thermal Suite

Laser Tag area is being removed and will be with a expanded vibe beach club 

on Deck 15 the port side of the observation lounge will be replaced with 24 new balcony cabins. The observation lounge will now be more crowded with less space. a very sad change 😞

with the new terminal suite they will be new spa cabins

the only source right now is from a FB post that i saw being posted around in various groups 

• Like 4

I saw that post too in FB.   

Have to say, I am unhappy with most of the changes.   I think it is shame that they are going to take away the port side of the observation lounge for additional cabins.   And will these be Haven cabins?   I think Haven cabins are already at a high level and will make the Haven more crowded.

Additionally, they are taking away two spaces which, I think, appeals to families with teens, the Galaxy Pavilion and Laser Tag and they both now will be venues with an over age 18 requirement. 

I do understand that many people will be happy with a Thermal Suite.   I also think that with the Vibe being on both the port and starboard side, they additional Vibe space should be allocated to a regular old fashioned sundeck including in one's cruise fare.

• Like 6

Based on the post I saw, the cabins are not going to be Haven cabins. I can't find the post, but it appeared they'd be categorized as B(something) which is a balcony cabin. I did notice they are adding some spa cabins, but these are all going to be M(something), not H(something), so no Haven spa rooms onboard. Perhaps they'll change some of the HJ cabins to spa, but this was not noted in the very unofficial post I saw. 

I'm mostly happy with this (for me). I didn't use the Observation Lounge much. Heck, I didn't use the Horizon Lounge much. We were on that fabulous Haven sundeck you told me about, @vacation44. But, I can definitely understand the disappointment a lot of folks have with the sides of the Observation Lounge going away. 

We were too fat for Galaxy Pavilion and we don't have friends, so no laser tag. If I ever lose my weight, I'd love to hit the Galaxy Pavilion. And friends, well...we're adults so how do you make friends? 🙂 

But, really...what are families with kids going to do? Go-karts and slides? That doesn't sound very fun. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, shof515 said:

on Deck 15 the port side of the observation lounge will be replaced with 24 new balcony cabins.

I hate to see cruise lines do this to ships. Build a beautiful public space, often the only indoor forward-facing lounge open to all guests, a great place to sit and watch the water, and then tear it up like this. New builds and doing things like this to existing ships disconnect guests from the water more and more. If I want to be in a hotel for my vacation, I wouldn’t book a cruise. 

• Like 11

I wonder if that FB post originated from a post here - one of those "I heard from someone who heard from someone that spoke to a chef that has family that works near the drydock" type of deals.  Though that origination might have been during a dinner with the officers on board, but until someone can post the technical drawings or show the work being done it's all speculation. 

I find it hard to believe that an officer would be cleared to make such statements this far in advance of the scheduled drydock.  I also find it unusual that they're removing, arguably, some of the best space for Alaska scenery observation just in time for deploying the ship to... ALASKA.  That makes me just as suspect about the claims.

2 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I hate to see cruise lines do this to ships. Build a beautiful public space, often the only indoor forward-facing lounge open to all guests, a great place to sit and watch the water, and then tear it up like this.

They're actually returning the ship partially to as-built - she originally had cabins in some or all of the OL space when she was in Asia, the OL was added or expanded when she was reconfigured for the US in 2019.

There's another thread here where this was discussed...

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

We were too fat for Galaxy Pavilion and we don't have friends, so no laser tag. If I ever lose my weight, I'd love to hit the Galaxy Pavilion. And friends, well...we're adults so how do you make friends? 🙂 

But, really...what are families with kids going to do? Go-karts and slides? That doesn't sound very fun. 

We have been on the Joy twice and did not partake in both the Galaxy Pavilion and laser tag facility.  However, we are scheduled to be on the Joy once again next June with extended family and I am sure the eight young adults in our group would have used both of these facilities along with my husband and brother in law.     

My family would be more than happy to play laser tag with you!

28 minutes ago, hallux said:

I wonder if that FB post originated from a post here - one of those "I heard from someone who heard from someone that spoke to a chef that has family that works near the drydock" type of deals.  Though that origination might have been during a dinner with the officers on board, but until someone can post the technical drawings or show the work being done it's all speculation. 

I find it hard to believe that an officer would be cleared to make such statements this far in advance of the scheduled drydock.  I also find it unusual that they're removing, arguably, some of the best space for Alaska scenery observation just in time for deploying the ship to... ALASKA.  That makes me just as suspect about the claims.

They're actually returning the ship partially to as-built - she originally had cabins in some or all of the OL space when she was in Asia, the OL was added or expanded when she was reconfigured for the US in 2019.

There's another thread here where this was discussed...

I read it as an announcement from a travel agent that does a tremendous amount of bookings for NCL, main focus is Haven but he does all bookings. 
He is always on a cruise on NcL on their dime checking things out

Galaxy Pavilion: we have been in that on two different ships: Encore and Joy - been there done that and we would not go again. Also, our DS and his gf were on the Joy with us and they also went there. Fun, but once is enough. Not like the Arcade that is used a lot.

Laser Tag: we didn't bother as we're too fat and unfit. I suspect this would also be a once is enough thing.

Observation lounge ... we didn't use it much on Joy as we were in the Caribbean, meaning we're out on the deck. Also, the lounge seem to be used more for sleeping than observing!

On smaller ships their OL, aka Spinnaker, are used more during the day AND in the evenings .... why? ... because they are also used for some game shows (like Trivia, Bingo, Not so Newly-weds, Perfect Couple, etc), and dancing, bands, etc. On the mega-ships (Joy, Encore, Bliss) these are held in the Atrium that is so small and over-flowing.

The post I saw was from an NCL Ambassador who sails constantly. He doesn’t report rumors.

I’m thrilled to finally see an adult-oriented ship. I’ve avoided the Joy because of the lack of a spa so this is great news.

Count me as one who is thrilled with one of the changes, that being the Thermal Suite. My wife and I always go there, and the lack of that was one of the things that made me consider not sailing the Joy in the past.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

We have been on the Joy twice and did not partake in both the Galaxy Pavilion and laser tag facility.  However, we are scheduled to be on the Joy once again next June with extended family and I am sure the eight young adults in our group would have used both of these facilities along with my husband and brother in law.     

My family would be more than happy to play laser tag with you!

Thank you! If we're ever on the same cruise...if any still have laser tag, we'll be challenging you to a match. Though, it sounds like 11 vs. 3 might be....oh heck, we'll take you! Haha

But really, though it's not too disappointed to me, I am sorry folks that really enjoy those sides of the Observation Lounge are losing them to more rooms. 

5 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Count me as one who is thrilled with one of the changes, that being the Thermal Suite. My wife and I always go there, and the lack of that was one of the things that made me consider not sailing the Joy in the past.

Agreed! We thoroughly enjoyed Joy this spring when we sailed. We would have enjoyed it even more if it had the thermal suite...but the Galaxy Pavilion did look really interesting! 

• Like 2

Just now, HBCcruiser said:

This is the Post:

joy.jpeg.b7f60c19c123121d1cf5dcd81b6a40fd.jpeg

We are booked in an HH on deck 15 which looks to be next to where the new balconies will be added. I hope they do not change the HH suites! 

Ooooo!!! I tried to find it, but couldn't. It got buried. Thank you!! 

• Like 1

I guess Laser Tag and Galaxy Pavilion generated limited revenue. That doesn't work! So the valuable real estate will be put to better $$$$ use. I have no problem with that since both areas are of no importance to me. I utilized the OL on my 10 Canada New England last September so shrinking it is a disappointment. Oh well, things happen!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

I guess Laser Tag and Galaxy Pavilion generated limited revenue. That doesn't work! So the valuable real estate will be put to better $$$$ use. I have no problem with that since both areas are of no importance to me. I utilized the OL on my 10 Canada New England last September so shrinking it is a disappointment. Oh well, things happen!

NCL needs to change the OL from sleeping/napping lounge to proper OL by getting rid of those chaise loungers and replacing them with 3-4 nice contemporary chairs each. That would allow more people in the OL and still have seating for viewing. 

On Spirit last month during Alaskan cruises the OL (aka Spinnaker’s) was quite filled up during the Hubbard Glacier cruising - quite a lot of ppl were in there and were able to get seats. There were no chaise loungers, maybe there were a couple or so but they were in far corners. 

JMHO. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

From the earlier topic about the speculation it seems the Joy is going back to an earlier configuration re the observation lounge… not the end of the world, never experienced the galaxy pavilion but from reviews on here (although most likely the aged and infirm 😉) it wasn’t very well utilised and is better off as a thermal suite 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Pitzel said:

I am bummed about laser tag going away. Hopefully, there will be other additions for kids/teens that will help make up for it (maybe an expanded arcade or an improved Entourage?).

Those things would have to be..... somewhere. Something has to give up some space.

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Those things would have to be..... somewhere. Something has to give up some space.

On the Bliss, there is a much larger Splash Academy, Entourage, and arcade than on the Joy — all of which are on Bliss’s deck 5. There is a lot of crew space on Joy’s deck 5 that could be converted over in a similar fashion.