Airport Transfer

Traveladdict93

Hi! We are docking in Fort Lauderdale and using the airport transfer to go back to Fort Lauderdale airport after the cruise. The transfer says drop off time will be 1130 and our flight leaves at 1:48. I’m wondering if anyone has experience using the transfer to the airport and if this is enough time? I’ve read some other forums that the transfers take awhile to fill up, but that was mostly from the airport to the cruise. I’d appreciate any input. Thanks!

Edited by Traveladdict93

1 hour ago, Traveladdict93 said:

Hi! We are docking in Fort Lauderdale and using the airport transfer to go back to Fort Lauderdale airport after the cruise. The transfer says drop off time will be 1130 and our flight leaves at 1:48. I’m wondering if anyone has experience using the transfer to the airport and if this is enough time? I’ve read some other forums that the transfers take awhile to fill up, but that was mostly from the airport to the cruise. I’d appreciate any input. Thanks!

My first thought is that is a late drop off from a cruise ship in Fort Lauderdale.  What time does the ship dock?

In any case, we took the ship's transfer to the airport. We were in the last group as we had a 2 pm flight.  8:30 was our assigned time to leave the ship and board the bus.   It was chaos.  The line to get a bus was extremely long as we had to wait for busses to load and then return from the airport.  It was a real slow process.  We were happy that we did not have an early flight.  The transfer was booked using OBC but the price would have been the same taking a taxi.  

2 hours ago, keesar said:

My first thought is that is a late drop off from a cruise ship in Fort Lauderdale.  What time does the ship dock?

In any case, we took the ship's transfer to the airport. We were in the last group as we had a 2 pm flight.  8:30 was our assigned time to leave the ship and board the bus.   It was chaos.  The line to get a bus was extremely long as we had to wait for busses to load and then return from the airport.  It was a real slow process.  We were happy that we did not have an early flight.  The transfer was booked using OBC but the price would have been the same taking a taxi.  

the boat docks at 7am. Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it!

Walk off the ship with your luggage,quick walk-by for passport control [facial recognition with your pp], Ahead of you will be lots of taxis and vans, thus allowing you to leave on your schedule and not wait for other passengers, plus this transfer won't cost as much as the cruise line transfer.

Darcy

• Like 1

We have used the transfer to ship and also to airport in Ft. Lauderdale many times.  Our flights were always after 1 PM and never had an issue. We have also taken a taxi when our flights were before noon.  I do not recall ever getting the airport later than 9:30 or 10.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Traveladdict93 said:

Something is amiss. It’s about a 15 minute drive from the cruise port to the airport. They will want everyone off the ship by 930 latest. Putting those two things together, it looks like they are implying that the transfer wouldn’t leave until 11:15, which makes no sense.

I have taken ship transfers many many times in Fort Lauderdale. They usually leave between eight and nine, and off and there are several buses spaced out during that time frame. So that would put one at the airport between 8:30 and 9:30, not 11:30. So somewhere the information you are seeing has gotten muddled.

The only reason I know of to take the ship transportation is if you have onboard credit that needs to be used up.   You can book the transfer once you were on the ship, and there is no reason to do it ahead of time, so you could straighten out the time issue at guest relations who will advise you which transfer time to book.

or, if the ship transfer is pre-booked for you as part of a pre-paid package, guest relations can advise you as to your transfer options.

as noted, Fort Lauderdale is an easy airport to get to. If you decide not to take a ship’s transfer tgere will be several other easy and inexpensive choices.

Edited by cruisestitch

25 minutes ago, dazey said:

We have used the transfer to ship and also to airport in Ft. Lauderdale many times.  Our flights were always after 1 PM and never had an issue. We have also taken a taxi when our flights were before noon.  I do not recall ever getting the airport later than 9:30 or 10.

That’s been our experience in FLL as well. Hours sitting in the airport waiting for a flight. Better that than spending the final day of the vacation worrying about missing a flight. 

For the OP - either the ship’s transfer or a ride share will work. 

The arrival time at 11:30 indicates to me that perhaps this ship transfer involves a tour of some sort? If so, then you will probably be leaving the ship around 8 AM, with a two- or three-hour tour.  Is that the case in the transfer you are considering?

2 hours ago, Nachosdelux said:

I would not recommend the cruise transfer. 

definitely take a taxi or uber instead. 

Agreed!  Why be herded like cattle with ship transfers.  

If you walk off with your luggage you will probably be in the airport waiting area by 9am

If you get off and claim luggage you will probably be at the airport & waiting around by 10am.

So simple in FLL.

1 minute ago, jwlane said:

Bad idea.  Get a taxi.

It might not be a bad idea.  We don’t know enough about the OP’s situation.  it could be a good idea for someone who is not from the US and doesn’t have any US currency and doesn’t want to use their credit card because of the conversion fees. It could be a good idea for someone who doesn’t speak English very well. It could be a good idea for someone who has onboard credit to burn through.

It could also be part of a travel package and be prepaid, which would make taking a taxi silly because then you would be paying twice.

I want had a bad experience taking a taxi to the airport in Fort Lauderdale. I didn’t have much cash with me and was planning on using my credit card to pay for the cab ride. The cab displayed the symbol for credit cards, but when I got to the airport, the driver said that he couldn’t accept a credit card, and could only take cash.  I can’t remember now if he said that his credit card machine was broken or what was the problem. I had enough for the fair, but he didn’t get a tip as I recall. From then on, I decided to take pre-paid transportation, whenever possible.

I’m from New Jersey. I wasn’t too familiar with the area and Uber/taxis in the area. I thought it might’ve it been easier to use the shuttle. I do have some onboard credit to use so I thought I could use towards that. Just wanted to hear some options!

Edited by Traveladdict93

Are you currently on the ship and you were assigned that time (which is only assigned the day before disembarkation)? We've taken ship transfers on almost 50 cruises and never been assigned an 11:30 time even for a 5:00pm flight.  You can go to Guest Relations and request an earlier departure time based on your airlines.   

we took one of the transfer vans, not operated by cruise.  OP is right. We got on the van and then had to wait until it filled up which is how the cruise bus transfer works too.   I would not do that again.   Taxi or Uber

All,

I believe the scenario is that your flight should depart after 11:30, thus the transfer arrives at FLL at the latest 9:30 am

This airport transfer is for guests with confirmed flights from the Fort Lauderdale International airport departing after 11:30. Before the cruise ends, you will receive your luggage tags and important debark instructions.