Will Unwanted/unrequested "upgrades" from Princess stop now that you have to pay to choose your location?

CrankyOldGuy

So once again Princess "upgraded" me to a cabin I don't want...  Apparently cancelling 3 cruises last time they did this didn't send a loud enough message to them.  My booking was supposed to be marked "Do Not Upgrade" but as I've learned I had a marginal CVP who obviously didn't do that and also have left the organization.

Anyways, now that they charge you extra to pick your room does anyone know if this practice of moving you without asking or notification will stop?  This is the most annoying thing about Princess.  I've been on 7 other cruise lines and none of them do this. 

Will Princess stop moving you without notification now that you must PAY for picking your room?

I think they will still do it. I’ve noticed when they have done this to me it is usually when the cruise price has gone down from when I booked. They “upgrade” to a category now at the rate I paid. I think they’re hoping to prevent people rebooking at the new lower price if they do this.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, CrankyOldGuy said:

So once again Princess "upgraded" me to a cabin I don't want...  Apparently cancelling 3 cruises last time they did this didn't send a loud enough message to them.  My booking was supposed to be marked "Do Not Upgrade" but as I've learned I had a marginal CVP who obviously didn't do that and also have left the organization.

Anyways, now that they charge you extra to pick your room does anyone know if this practice of moving you without asking or notification will stop?  This is the most annoying thing about Princess.  I've been on 7 other cruise lines and none of them do this. 

Will Princess stop moving you without notification now that you must PAY for picking your room?

We always paid to select a cabin.  They are offering a lower rate to the lead-in categories as a GTY.  Guests can still book a GTY at the higher categories.  You get refundable deposits then.  The biggest change is non-refundable deposits for those lead-in GTY categories.  I'd avoid them like bad food. 

PCL has the right to move, but I have never been unwillingly/unexpectedly moved and always use the DNU flag on our bookings.  

Hope you get a better CVP or an outside TA (find one that discounts cruise fare).  At least make a call in to PCL after a booking is made and ask that random rep to check your booking and make sure the flag is set.  You will also have to make sure flag is reset if you do a re-fare or cancel/re-book as the default is for it to be active.

PS - Did you try getting original cabin back?  Guests who have the DNU flag set have more luck at this.  A guest open to upgrade is not going to have much luck unless catch it almost immediately

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

OK...I know TAs have access to this flag...but how are you doing it?  Are you a TA?

Don't take the post literally.  I did not indicate that I was the one setting the flag.  (That said, PCL should have this flag option present in the self-booking process). 

PS - No, I am still not a TA.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

We recently received an unwanted upgrade.  Our TA turned it around right away.  Our view of this has changed.  We now want to see the upgrade offers.  Some of them are desired upgrades.  Last two cruises, one upgrade was terrific and one (mentioned earlier) was declined.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

You will also have to make sure flag is reset if you do a re-fare or cancel/re-book as the default is for it to be active.

I think this explains what happened as this was a re-book in January.  And no I did not get my cabin back as it happened 2 weeks ago. 

Thanks for the information

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ccqueenanne said:

Are you alerted to an unrequested upgrade when it happens? I asked my TA to mark our (3) adjoining cabins DNU, but is it on me to keep checking on Princess to make sure that the assigned cabin numbers haven't changed?

I did not receive any notice of the upgrade and only noticed it two weeks after it was done. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Mark your selection for no upgrade

This doesn’t always work. We’ve especially had trouble when booking a series of B2B cruises. We’ll book cabins in an area that we’re happy with, usually in a favorite location that will make moving between them on turnaround days easy. They are all marked No Upgrade. Princess’s computer sees that we could get a same cabin for two of the cruises in a row, in an area we don’t like, also making moves to and from that area on turnaround day hard. They move us to that cabin for 2 cruises (theoretically an upgrade only because it’s a lower deck). We haven’t been able to get our original cabins (which we paid extra to choose) back.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

This doesn’t always work. We’ve especially had trouble when booking a series of B2B cruises. We’ll book cabins in an area that we’re happy with, usually in a favorite location that will make moving between them on turnaround days easy. They are all marked No Upgrade. Princess’s computer sees that we could get a same cabin for two of the cruises in a row, in an area we don’t like, also making moves to and from that area on turnaround day hard. They move us to that cabin for 2 cruises (theoretically an upgrade only because it’s a lower deck). We haven’t been able to get our original cabins (which we paid extra to choose) back.

I guess I have never had something like that happen, but I would be all over them if they did that.  If you booked a cabin and marked no upgrade, you should not lose that cabin. 

49 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I guess I have never had something like that happen, but I would be all over them if they did that.  If you booked a cabin and marked no upgrade, you should not lose that cabin. 

Yeah, I guess I don’t know how to be all over them. When this happened last time, the original cabin was available for one of the two cruises we had been moved.  When I chatted with Princess,  they had me on hold (on chat!) for over an hour, and in that time, the original cabin disappeared. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

They can upgrade me any time they want.   I'll gratefully say Thank You

That sounds good, but you need to be sure that an upgrade is an upgrade.  If you want to be in a particular location of the ship, you might not get upgraded there.  Upgrades are subject to be downgrades depending on your preferences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

They can upgrade me any time they want.   I'll gratefully say Thank You

Not me! We were "upgraded" once from a lower category cabin that had no problems to a "better" cabin that did have. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ccqueenanne said:

Are you alerted to an unrequested upgrade when it happens? I asked my TA to mark our (3) adjoining cabins DNU, but is it on me to keep checking on Princess to make sure that the assigned cabin numbers haven't changed?

Our TA forwarded the upgrade offer to us via email.  We don't have a DNU.  

Your TA should be on top of things, including no cabin changes.  I think you should confirm with your TA.   

On 7/21/2023 at 9:56 AM, kywildcatfanone said:

That sounds good, but you need to be sure that an upgrade is an upgrade.  If you want to be in a particular location of the ship, you might not get upgraded there.  Upgrades are subject to be downgrades depending on your preferences.

23 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

Not me! We were "upgraded" once from a lower category cabin that had no problems to a "better" cabin that did have.