Amsterdam - (proposed) closing cruise ship terminal

This is the wave of NOW...not the future...

many ports around the globe have already started putting limits on the size of passenger ships allowed to dock in cuty centers.

I actually applaud this...the ports were never built to accommodate such large vessels & the cruise lines don't seem to be in a hurry to up the Environmental Impact solutions - except to build larger ships.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

This is the wave of NOW...not the future...

many ports around the globe have already started putting limits on the size of passenger ships allowed to dock in cuty centers.

I actually applaud this...the ports were never built to accommodate such large vessels & the cruise lines don't seem to be in a hurry to up the Environmental Impact solutions - except to build larger ships.

I agree with you.

• Thanks 1

Looks as if they are limiting cruise ships because of some rowdy younger Brits who travel to Amsterdam and cause a lot of trouble. Also, the pollution angle is a valid one, but to limit all cruise ships? Sounds like the sledgehammer solution. Rotterdam should be able to take advantage of this move by Amsterdam.  For us this is a positive since we enjoy Rotterdam

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Looks as if they are limiting cruise ships because of some rowdy younger Brits who travel to Amsterdam and cause a lot of trouble. Also, the pollution angle is a valid one, but to limit all cruise ships? Sounds like the sledgehammer solution. Rotterdam should be able to take advantage of this move by Amsterdam.  For us this is a positive since we enjoy Rotterdam

OR perhaps Rotterdam is next.  This summer there have been protestors at the Rotterdam port when some of the cruise ships have come in.

8 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Looks as if they are limiting cruise ships because of some rowdy younger Brits who travel to Amsterdam and cause a lot of trouble.

To me, the article is listing these as two separate issues. To curb the latter they are doing things like limiting use of cannabis in the areas where traditionally it has been available.

• Like 3

Unfortunately this rowdy party behavior is widespread - in many places like Fort Liquordale the young ones(16-35) have made a spring break that is no more than a drunken brawl where hotels are ripped apart, pools are unusable & the streets are full of drunk & stoned people.

so its not just the Brits - these "HEN" parties are horrible..in Phoenix they now ban them in hotels & BNB.

The cruise lines are responsible..... smaller ships are still able to sail the Norwegian Fjords.  Funny thing is that Bermuda built a larger dock are years ago - and yet the nicest cruise to Bermuda were the ones that docked right in Front Street & even sailed over to St George for a day..... only the smaller ships can do that.

UnThis is the wave of NOW...not the future...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

No, you're confusing two separate issues.

They have banned "beer bikes" and they are seeking to dissuade stag & hen parties etc. That's the rowdiness - yes, probably Brits are a significant proportion. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41830304

And Amsterdam's well-known lax attitude to soft drugs and sex for sale has kinda invited that sort of clientele.

Too many tourists is the reason for the decision to close the city cruise facilities. And because, like almost anywhere in the world, cruise visitors don't bring as much business as other tourists because they bring their own board & lodgings with them.

Pollution, and plans for a new bridge have also been cited.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66264226

I'm surprised no date seems to have been fixed for the start of the ban.

My guess - and its only a guess - is that it'll be between this year's main season & next year's.

JB 🙂

• Like 5

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Yikes.  No date and wondering how fast they will move on this.  We sail out of there in October.  

Not to worry. I doubt that this can be implemented before 2025. It would be logical to begin to squeeze cruise arrivals in 2024.

In any case, this is the anti-ship movement that is gaining traction. I was in Juneau in May and there was a demonstration outside the parking garage. A substantial crowd who wanted to ban cruise ships.

https://www.cruisehive.com/popular-alaskan-port-seeking-to-limit-cruise-ship-visits/93569

On the Mendenhall excursion, the driver said that an initiative had been proposed to cut cruise ships by half. But, did not have enough support to go on the polls. However, the driver thought that there would be enough support for a  proposal cut ships by a third.

This from a guy whose livelihood depended on the cruise industry!

• Thanks 2

We sailed from this port a year ago.  It was great having our hotel steps from the port, and in easy walking distance of downtown/public transport.

They did have issues with controls placed on the opening of the locks which impacted our departure time and the length of our port call in Brugge,

A few corrections/nuances from a local because the Guardian article is missing some details which seems to have lead to misinterpretations of what was actually decided; the city council has not voted to shut down the cruise terminal and it doesn’t take effect immediately. 

For some time now there is a debate going on in Amsterdam about how to control the huge number of tourists that visit the city each year. On top of that there is increasing awareness about the huge air pollution caused by ocean cruise ships. As you may know, their engines still need to run, at a lower level, to generate the electricity needed to power all systems on board. For years, there has been talk in Amsterdam about moving the cruise terminal to a place outside the city. In 2016 for instance, the city already decided to move the cruise terminal to somewhere more near the harbor, but concrete action was never taken. 
The city did reduce the number of ocean cruise ships that are allowed to dock at the Amsterdam cruise terminal to a maximum of 190 ocean cruise ships per year. 
Yesterday, the city council has decided to speed up the process of moving the cruise terminal for sea cruises. In other words; it’s time we stop talking about it and start taking action. 
That’s it. So there is no immediate shut down of the cruise terminal in Amsterdam. And until the new cruise terminal is ready, which won’t be for many many years, ocean cruise ships can still come to Amsterdam and dock in the Cruise Terminal.

Edited by Dutch_Travelgirl
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 12

I've just read this too.  Amsterdam city council has banned all cruise ships and the cruise terminal will close.  I haven't been able to find anything about a date for when this will come into force.  Also nothing on whether the ban is for all cruises, ie sea and river.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66264226

Edited by Tigrou
  • Thanks 1

I’ve wondered why protesters in the UK have not targeted cruise companies more than they do. Am no scientist but don’t think they are particularly environmentally friendly but have seen adverts for one line that claims to be.