Thinking of breaking up our flight and overnighting in Dallas - what hotel? AA keeping luggage.

compozer

I am getting to hate waking up at 3 am to get to the airport for an early flight so I think it might be more relaxing to book an evening flight to Dallas.  Get a hotel and then leave mid morning.   Why start a vacation being dead tired!!!

ANy suggestions for a reasonably priced hotel with a shuttle that is not too far away from the Dallas airport.   Won't get there until 10pm so just need it to sleep - not even breakfast in the morning.

And by chance does anyone remember what the maximum time an American Airlines  layover can be for them to keep your luggage?    I have everything I need in my carryon.   Why drag our bags back and forth to the hotel.

Thank you so much for any help.

The most convenient, and probably priciest, choice would be the Grand Hyatt, which is physically in Terminal D.  From wherever you arrive, you can AirTrain to D and be there at the hotel.

Next most convenient is the Hyatt Regency, which is near Terminal C.

Other than that, your next closest hotels are all off the airport itself.  Look at the area off TX 114 to the northeast of the airport.  You'll find over two dozen hotels of all types there.  So take your pick.

Only you can determine your priorities for convenience, quality, price and brand loyalty.

6rugrats, thanks so much for the article.   Wonderful news that we can just check the bags through.

FlyerTalker, at first I was going to book the Grand Hyatt for the convenience but $450 with taxes is a bit more than I want to pay.

I will look over the choices tonight.  I did find a couple but half the reviews were not the best.  Thanks 

I am a Hilton person too, but at DFW I always use the Hyatt Regency - it's significantly cheaper than the Grand Hyatt and just as convenient if you don't have to pick up checked baggage.

After deplaning, get to Terminal C - walk, train (skylink), whatever. Do this first, if you go outside at a different Terminal you will need to wait for the terminal transfer bus which can take ages. Then use the 24hr exit by gate C15, turn left and walk down to Door 21, cross the road and follow the blue signs to the hotel. You walk through the car park, over a pedestrian bridge, and you will find the hotel. There are a number of short flights of stairs but without much to carry I find it no problem, and I have bad knees!

I changed to using Hyatt after spending just too long waiting for off airport hotel shuttles, which you have to do outside in whatever weather is happening. The Hyatt runs shuttle buses too but even they can take a long time.

I find the extra hotel cost a very worthwhile investment in my travel experience.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

There are a group of hotels 2.4 miles or less from the airport with shuttles that I prefer.  I simply like that particular neighborhood on that side of the airport (east side, Irving).  I have never used the west side hotels (grapevine).  Home2suites has a very reliable shuttle 

The Hyatt is definitely the closest but a bit pricier. 

7 hours ago, Mary229 said:

There are a group of hotels 2.4 miles or less from the airport with shuttles that I prefer.  I simply like that particular neighborhood on that side of the airport (east side, Irving).  I have never used the west side hotels (grapevine).  Home2suites has a very reliable shuttle 

Grapevine is north. West would be HEB, Hearst, Euless or Bedford.

Whilst the off site hotels have reliable shuttles, it's the standing outside the terminal building for half an hour waiting for the shuttle to arrive that sends me every time to the Hyatt Regency - I can be in my room and relaxing before the pax for off site hotels are even in a shuttle. The shorter my overnight stay, the more important I think it is to avoid spending time waiting for shuttles.

But I'm impatient and value convenience above price to some extent - not as far as the Grand Hyatt, but enough for the Regency. 

Only you know your values, OP.

Edited by jollyjones

42 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Sorry,  my limit is 2.3 miles 🙂

It is a neighborhood I know well.  Really the 2.4 keeps you in the “zone”. Outside of that the shuttles are unreliable and the customer base mixed. 

22 hours ago, compozer said:

Thanks for all your suggestions

I just booked  the Grand Hyatt.

thanks again

One very important point, compozer - since you are not picking up checked baggage, if you do not land at Terminal D where the Grand Hyatt is, get to Terminal D (walk or skylink train) BEFORE you go out through an exit from airside to landside. This is much, much easier and more convenient than trying to get between Terminals when landside.

And you may find it more convenient the next morning to go through security in Terminal D then get skylink to whichever terminal you are flying out of - beware, DFW changes gates/terminals very often and often at the last minute - check carefully and almost right up to boarding time - I have been caught out with late gate changes more than once.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Thanks 2

On 7/21/2023 at 12:59 PM, 6rugrats said:

This is good to know...we arrive in DFW at 7:35 pm and our flight out is at 8:30 am - we decided on the Grand Hyatt and were hoping to not claim baggage just to drag it to the hotel and re-check it in the morning.

38 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

One very important point, compozer - since you are not picking up checked baggage, if you do not land at Terminal D where the Grand Hyatt is, get to Terminal D (walk or skylink train) BEFORE you go out through an exit from airside to landside. This is much, much easier and more convenient than trying to get between Terminals when landside.

And you may find it more convenient the next morning to go through security in Terminal D then get skylink to whichever terminal you are flying out of - beware, DFW changes gates/terminals very often and often at the last minute - check carefully and almost right up to boarding time - I have been caught out with late gate changes more than once.

Great advice and thank you for sharing....I did not even consider this.  We will arrive on an Eagle flight

Edited by TSUmom

TSUmom,  thanks so much!!

we are flying to Sydney with a 5 hour layover in Dallas this October so I may take a walk around and check out where the Grand is so I am familiar with the airport layout.    
thanks again 

I really appreciate your help!