dress code on HAL ship

newgirlhelpme

Hi! I’m leaving for my first cruise with HAL on Tuesday and I am slightly confused about the dress code situation. From what I’ve gathered it’s only really applicable during the night time too? We are not planning on going to any of the fancy restaurants or the ones you have to pay extra for, just whatever ones that are included. On the itinerary it says things like “smart casual” “casual” and “dressy”. I was under the impression that these dress codes only apply to the fancier restaurants but I think I might be wrong? I obviously wasn’t going to show up in a string bikini or anything, but just a tshirt and shorts for most nights is what i was planning. Is the dress code for going to restaurants or just if you leave your room at all after 5 pm you have to be dressed up or whatever? If I don’t have clothes that are appropriate could I just order room service and eat in my room? Like I said, I’ve never been on a cruise before at all so I am new to all of this and I don’t really get it. 

Welcome to HAL!!

The dress code is very relaxed, but how "dressy" you should expect to be for depends on your itinerary, so where you're going will impact what you want to wear for dinner. Longer cruises and European cruises, for example, tend to be dressier.

With that said, we're really talking about what you wear in the dining rooms - not around the ship. It is all dining rooms, not just the "pay extra" or "fancier" dining rooms, though, so on Dressy Night if you wanted to wear shorts and a t-shirt you would want to consider eating in the Lido or maybe pizza place, not the Main Dining Room, but no need to squirrel away in your cabin w/room service.

Dressy doesn't mean formal or fancy, just no beachwear, shorts, etc. So you could even wear a sundress with a short jacket and not be out of place.

What ship and where are you going?

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Welcome to HAL!!

The dress code is very relaxed, but how "dressy" you should expect to be for depends on your itinerary, so where you're going will impact what you want to wear for dinner. Longer cruises and European cruises, for example, tend to be dressier.

With that said, we're really talking about what you wear in the dining rooms - not around the ship. It is all dining rooms, not just the "pay extra" or "fancier" dining rooms, though, so on Dressy Night if you wanted to wear shorts and a t-shirt you would want to consider eating in the Lido or maybe pizza place, not the Main Dining Room, but no need to squirrel away in your cabin w/room service.

Dressy doesn't mean formal or fancy, just no beachwear, shorts, etc. So you could even wear a sundress with a short jacket and not be out of place.

What ship and where are you going?

Thanks! We are doing a 28 day mediterranean cruise! I didn’t even know about the pizza place or the Lido market until you said that. I have done so much research but I fear I am still woefully underprepared 

13 minutes ago, newgirlhelpme said:

Thanks! We are doing a 28 day mediterranean cruise! I didn’t even know about the pizza place or the Lido market until you said that. I have done so much research but I fear I am still woefully underprepared 

What ship are you on?

The deck plan is a great place to start getting familiar with the ship before you board. Just review it deck by deck to get an idea of where things are located. Then when you get on, you can go find some of the places you located on the deckplan.

Halfacts.com is also a good resource for getting familiar with your ship - there are pictures and comments about many of the cabins, too.

1 minute ago, Haljo1935 said:

What ship are you on?

The deck plan is a great place to start getting familiar with the ship before you board. Just review it deck by deck to get an idea of where things are located. Then when you get on, you can go find some of the places you located on the deckplan.

Halfacts.com is also a good resource for getting familiar with your ship - there are pictures and comments about many of the cabins, too.

We are on the Oosterdam! And okay thank you I will check that out. 

9 minutes ago, newgirlhelpme said:

We are on the Oosterdam! And okay thank you I will check that out. 

The Dive In is a burger/hot dog place 😋. The Lido is the buffet. Both are on deck 9. Both are places you could go on Dressy Night in shorts & t-shirt. 

Have fun exploring your ship.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

20230721_223948.jpg

20230721_223412.jpg

hal-oo-deck-plan-050822_230418_000436.pdf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newgirlhelpme said:

Hi! I’m leaving for my first cruise with HAL on Tuesday and I am slightly confused about the dress code situation. From what I’ve gathered it’s only really applicable during the night time too? We are not planning on going to any of the fancy restaurants or the ones you have to pay extra for, just whatever ones that are included. On the itinerary it says things like “smart casual” “casual” and “dressy”. ...Is the dress code for going to restaurants or just if you leave your room at all after 5 pm you have to be dressed up or whatever? If I don’t have clothes that are appropriate could I just order room service and eat in my room? 

Hi newgirl!

It isn't that bad! Please don't eat in your room except maybe breakfast on a port day. If you aren't already, get yourself changed to Open Seating for dinner (also called "As You Wish"). If you are marked "early" or "late" that refers to Main Dining Room (MDR) seating. You can change it on board -- ask where the dining maitre d' is on the first day (it's probably too late to change by phone as it's the weekend and then just the two days where no changes are made). Woohoo! Your first cruise is almost here!

You might want to take a culotte or capri or two. Feel like shorts but more coverage for any situation (not just MDR). My husband used to want to go to MDR and be waited on, but our back-to-back (B2B) cruises over last New Year, we ate only in the Lido (or specialty restaurants as we had some onboard credit -- OBC -- to use). Not only did we not have to change clothes, the food was just as good and at our own speed. Also still keeping some social distance where possible.

I don't think the Oosterdam has a separate Pizza Place. But may have a pizza station in the Lido Market. And, for what it's worth, Ooster rhymes with Toaster (not OOOster), so you'll be in the know!

Happy sailing!

• Like 3

Hi, welcome to Cruise Critic, cruising, and HAL 😊

First cruise can be a bit scary but we all had a first one.

Have you downloaded the Navigator App from Playstore/App Store?  It is usefull (but not a necessity) for menus, itinerary and What is On around the ship at various times.

You will also receive a paper 'Daily Program' which gives you details of where and when various entertainment etc is open.  Most important is to look at the times for food!   The Dive Inn burger bar has been mentioned, but note that it closes early (maybe 6pm).

I don't think you will find many people about the ship after 6pm wearing shorts etc, so throw something longer into your bag.   

Just keep asking questions! 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Hi newgirl!

It isn't that bad! Please don't eat in your room except maybe breakfast on a port day. If you aren't already, get yourself changed to Open Seating for dinner (also called "As You Wish"). If you are marked "early" or "late" that refers to Main Dining Room (MDR) seating. You can change it on board -- ask where the dining maitre d' is on the first day (it's probably too late to change by phone as it's the weekend and then just the two days where no changes are made). Woohoo! Your first cruise is almost here!

You might want to take a culotte or capri or two. Feel like shorts but more coverage for any situation (not just MDR). My husband used to want to go to MDR and be waited on, but our back-to-back (B2B) cruises over last New Year, we ate only in the Lido (or specialty restaurants as we had some onboard credit -- OBC -- to use). Not only did we not have to change clothes, the food was just as good and at our own speed. Also still keeping some social distance where possible.

I don't think the Oosterdam has a separate Pizza Place. But may have a pizza station in the Lido Market. And, for what it's worth, Ooster rhymes with Toaster (not OOOster), so you'll be in the know!

Happy sailing!

Thank you so much!! When people say “dining rooms” (as maljo did above) what are they referring to? Is that any of the places where you get waited on? Also, the Lido market is the buffet place, correct? Where the dress code doesn’t apply? Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to make sure I understand lol. 

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Hi, welcome to Cruise Critic, cruising, and HAL 😊

First cruise can be a bit scary but we all had a first one.

Have you downloaded the Navigator App from Playstore/App Store?  It is usefull (but not a necessity) for menus, itinerary and What is On around the ship at various times.

You will also receive a paper 'Daily Program' which gives you details of where and when various entertainment etc is open.  Most important is to look at the times for food!   The Dive Inn burger bar has been mentioned, but note that it closes early (maybe 6pm).

I don't think you will find many people about the ship after 6pm wearing shorts etc, so throw something longer into your bag.   

Just keep asking questions! 😉

Thanks!! This might be a silly question, but what are some examples of the entertainment on board in the evening? Yes, I downloaded the navigator app, and I see that they have different venues and stages, but what exactly do they do there? 

18 minutes ago, newgirlhelpme said:

Thank you so much!! When people say “dining rooms” (as maljo did above) what are they referring to? Is that any of the places where you get waited on? Also, the Lido market is the buffet place, correct? Where the dress code doesn’t apply? Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to make sure I understand lol. 

Yes, the dining room is where you get waited on.  Shorts are fine in there for breakfast & lunch, but not dinner.  The ship itself can be quite cool at times so you may find you are more comfortable in something bedsides shorts.

The Lido market is the buffet.  Most of the food is served on your plate depending on what you choose, but you carry your own plate to the table, etc.  There is no dress code there so shorts are fine.  Same for the Dive In.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, newgirlhelpme said:

Thanks!! This might be a silly question, but what are some examples of the entertainment on board in the evening? Yes, I downloaded the navigator app, and I see that they have different venues and stages, but what exactly do they do there? 

Here is a link to a "Live from the Oosterdam" that I posted in June 2022.  It was a 12 day in Eastern Med.  It will give you an idea of entertainment and menus.

• Like 2

For evenings aboard the ship I usually pack a few sun dresses, comfortable & dressy enough for the regular included dining room.  I also pack a nice sweater, as the dining rooms, theatres & walking along the outside decks can be a bit cool.  For my hubby, I pack a couple of khaki or dress slacks with collared shirts for casual evenings, & throw in a sports coat for the dressy evenings.  If on any particular day we don't feel like dressing up, we eat in Lido buffet where shorts & t shirts are perfectly acceptable.  Enjoy your 1st cruise.  Amazing that you chose a 28 day cruise for your 1st cruise, have a great time.

• Like 2

@newgirlhelpme, if you're going to build your wardrobe around shorts, be aware that churches and mosques require knees and shoulders to be covered.  A skirt can be a better alternative and more comfortable, as @albingirl has already suggested. 

In the Lido, no bathing suits without a cover-up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, newgirlhelpme said:

You'll be fine. Just keep doing your research. There's a lot to know, but don't let it overwhelm you.

Ask questions galore here.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, POA1 said:

You'll be fine. Just keep doing your research. There's a lot to know, but don't let it overwhelm you.

Ask questions galore here.

Do they make it easy to locate things on the ship and to know where to go for things? I know the ship is huge, I can’t even comprehend it right now without being on one before. But is it fairly self explanatory where things are located, how to use the buffet, etc? This is reminding me of my freshman year of college where I had to learn how things work on campus lol 

Edited by newgirlhelpme

Yes, there is good signage. If you make a mistake, you'll be fine. Everyone gets "turned around" on occasion.

If you need help, just ask a crew member or another passenger. Most everyone is nice and helpful. If you run into a grumpy person, just move on and ask someone else.

• Like 2

At every elevator bank there's a map of the ship showing where each venue is located - dining, show lounges, spa, Crow's Nest, etc.

Keep in mind, you don't need to know everything single thing before you leave in order to have a fun cruise.  Part of it is discovering and learning new things.  

The buffet has various stations.  Just walk up the one you're interested in and tell the attendant what you want and how much.  Sometimes there will be a line.  After you get your food, just go find your own table.  Sometimes you have to get your own drinks, but sometimes there will be servers who will bring you water, juice, coffee, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roz said:

At every elevator bank there's a map of the ship showing where each venue is located - dining, show lounges, spa, Crow's Nest, etc.

I have been on umpteen sailings and I *still* study the deck plans whilst awaiting the elevator.  😂

@newgirlhelpme, exploring the ship while onboard is part of the fun!  Make sure you pay attention to the dining hours as they change with port and sea days, as well as with any time changes.  You will find the hours for each venue on the back of the Daily.

Speaking of the Daily… I tend to go down the list looking for specific timeframes and sometimes forget to take a look at the MainStage and entertainment blocks scattered throughout the pages.  My linear logic tells me the information should appear within the appointed timeframe but they don’t!  As a result, I tend to miss stuff.  Just wanted to put that out there so you’ll be sure to review it differently than I do.  🙃

Also pay attention to the all-aboard times when you are in port.  You don’t want to miss the ship!  

Enjoy your first cruise and welcome to Cruise Critic and Holland America!

• Like 3

You can wear shorts in any venue on the ship at night except the main dining room (MDR) and the 2 up charge restaurants (Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto). They take over a section of the Lido buffet area at night to create Canaletto.

You may feel a bit underdressed on Dressy night if wearing shorts. But don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do it. On the World Cruise, I wore shorts a few times when I didn’t feel like getting dressed up for dinner - even on the Dressy night. There were others dressed similarly in the theater and in bars.

• Like 1