Blogging from the Sapphire Princess

PescadoAmarillo

4 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I just had a convo with Associate HGM Eunice on the Terrace Deck. To the best of my recollection, here are the answers to your questions for the Dec 1 cruise to Antarctica.

Captain: Paola Ravera

HGM: Miguel (yay!))

DRO:  she *thinks* Mario will be back but not for the LA to Santiago portion

Bus and Brand:  Yolandi

Exec chef:  not Remo but she’s not sure who it will be. 

That is so very kind of you. Thank you for finding out for me. 

• Like 1

Following along on your blog and here. We are on the Sapphire for the Glacier cruisek, 14 nights in September. The last time we were on board (maybe 13 years ago) they had a special drinks menu just for Alaska, mostly sort of creamy alcoholic drinks like the Dirty Banana but also others. Lots of chocolate, cream etc. Just wondering if they are doing the same on your cruise?

2 hours ago, DougH said:

Can you tell me if the Most Traveled is a luncheon or a cocktail party? I much prefer the lunch. #'s to attend?

I was on this ship for the June 28-July 12 fourteen day sailing and this Captain prefers to have an evening cocktail party in SkyWalkers and he makes sure he and his officers mingle and talk to as many passengers as possible. The Captain will make an effort to speak to each person, couple/group. 

I have done this itinerary before NB then SB from Vancouver and have had a luncheon, but it seems the last few Captains have opted for cocktail parties citing the itinerary constraints.

Alaska the cutoff numbers are usually on the lower side, I believe for my sailings the cutoff was the low 200’s.

• Like 2

I've done this B2B about 10 times and am not worried about making the cutoff as I have 600+ days. I'm just not thrilled with the cocktail party. Last year on the Grand we had a nice luncheon both North and South

On 7/29/2023 at 7:04 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

Thank you! And thank you again.🙂 

I just published a post that I will amend when I find different menus around the ship.

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2023/07/current-sapphire-princess-drink-menus.html

I know I said I wasn’t going to get involved with this impending dining change thing but we were just in Alfredo’s having lunch and the Assistant DRO came to talk with us and it was easy enough to just ask her about it. On the Sapphire Princess, the two affected dining venues are Alfredo’s and Vines. They will no longer offer free food in either venue but instead a three course prix fixe menu for $14.99 pp (starter, entree, dessert). Again, what we have already done for the two port days this cruise, just stop in and have pizza and a beer, will not be available. The options will be, with Princess Premium: unlimited visits for free each cruise; for Princess Plus:  two visits for free each cruise, regardless of cruise length, and unlimited further visits for $14.99pp; for Princess Standard, unlimited $14.99 visits per person. 

What hasn’t been worked out yet is how guests doing B2B cruises that fall over August 2 (ie us) will be handled, based on whether they have Princess Standard, Princess Plus or Princess Premium. She us going to get back with us when that gets figured out. 

And that’s all I will say say about that. Because any program that offers two of anything per cruise regardless of whether the cruise is 3 days or 33 days is just silly. 

Hi J!

Glad to see you're back sailing and Happy Anniversary.

We'll be on the Sapphire for the 32 day LA-Tahiti cruise at the end of October with the Plus package so I agree that the 2 casual dining meals for that length of a cruise is kind of silly.

We haven't been on the Sapphire yet but I've read on CC that Alfredos only has Pizza so how will they provide that full meal?

Also, Vines (in the past) only had appetizers so are they also changing that menu? Pre-Covid I would get sushi and a glass of wine for lunch but post Covid the sushi was eliminated. Is it back? And is that the "full meal"?

Nothing earthshaking but I'm just curious.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chamima said:

Also, Vines (in the past) only had appetizers so are they also changing that menu? Pre-Covid I would get sushi and a glass of wine for lunch but post Covid the sushi was eliminated. Is it back? And is that the "full meal"?

@ceilidh1 posted PDF's of all the for-fee casual dining locations in the big thread about the new changes.  Go to page 53 and scroll down and there are several posts with 1 or 2 menus per post.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wallyj said:

I was on this ship for the June 28-July 12 fourteen day sailing and this Captain prefers to have an evening cocktail party in SkyWalkers and he makes sure he and his officers mingle and talk to as many passengers as possible. The Captain will make an effort to speak to each person, couple/group. 

I have done this itinerary before NB then SB from Vancouver and have had a luncheon, but it seems the last few Captains have opted for cocktail parties citing the itinerary constraints.

Alaska the cutoff numbers are usually on the lower side, I believe for my sailings the cutoff was the low 200’s.

On the Crown in Alaska, where there were plenty of sea days, they had a cocktail party also. I did not make the cut but I heard from several who did and they did not like the format (they thought it was bad for a cocktail party, the timing around dinner time, the format, etc..). Several mentioned their displeasure. So much so, when they did a B2B on the next cruise, they chose not to attend. There were plenty of sea days so this didn't make sense.

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2023 at 6:04 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

I know I said I wasn’t going to get involved with this impending dining change thing but we were just in Alfredo’s having lunch and the Assistant DRO came to talk with us and it was easy enough to just ask her about it. On the Sapphire Princess, the two affected dining venues are Alfredo’s and Vines. They will no longer offer free food in either venue but instead a three course prix fixe menu for $14.99 pp (starter, entree, dessert). Again, what we have already done for the two port days this cruise, just stop in and have pizza and a beer, will not be available. The options will be, with Princess Premium: unlimited visits for free each cruise; for Princess Plus:  two visits for free each cruise, regardless of cruise length, and unlimited further visits for $14.99pp; for Princess Standard, unlimited $14.99 visits per person. 

Interesting that that was the Assistant DRO's impression. The menu for Vines that has been posted on CC indicates in addition to the prix fixe menu, you can buy things, like a pizza, ala carte, for $12. So you could do this, but it would cost $12/ pizza if you don't have the Plus package. It just shows the level of confusion that this will cause for a while. ☹️

Nice to see you posting and cruising again!

Edited by dreaminofcruisin
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Coral said:

On the Crown in Alaska, where there were plenty of sea days, they had a cocktail party also. I did not make the cut but I heard from several who did and they did not like the format (they thought it was bad for a cocktail party, the timing around dinner time, the format, etc..). Several mentioned their displeasure. So much so, when they did a B2B on the next cruise, they chose not to attend. There were plenty of sea days so this didn't make sense.

Cost cutting

it is a business with heavy debt

On 7/29/2023 at 7:04 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

Thank you! And thank you again.🙂 

I just published a post that I will amend when I find different menus around the ship.

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2023/07/current-sapphire-princess-drink-menus.html

What hasn’t been worked out yet is how guests doing B2B cruises that fall over August 2 (ie us) will be handled, based on whether they have Princess Standard, Princess Plus or Princess Premium. She us going to get back with us when that gets figured out. 

And that’s all I will say say about that. Because any program that offers two of anything per cruise regardless of whether the cruise is 3 days or 33 days is just silly. 

One would think the Ass't DRO ought to know what is coming, but the published menus tell a different story (not to mention the TA webinar statements last week).  All of the for-fee casual dining locales will offer a la carte and prix fixe 3-course meal option.  In the case of Alfredo's/Gigi's, the main entree is $12, so there is virtually no savings unless you typically just share a pizza for lunch.

Each ship has its own roll-out date and you are the guinea pigs on Wed.  A lot of ships go August 12.  It's going to be an interesting month as reports from the fleet his this forum. 

Your last paragraph is bang on and pretty much the universal sentiment from members on CC.  Of course DRO Mgmt has no control over this - it is the Ivory Tower which often seems disconnected from the real world. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, that said:

Cost cutting

it is a business with heavy debt

Apologies to the OP, if she feels this is getting off track/topic.

My understanding as relayed from the previous Circle hosts/Loyalty Managers, (yes,  I know this event is now coordinated/managed by the Future cruise department) is the Captain decides if they want a cocktail party or luncheon for the MTG event. Cost is not always the primary factor. 

I have spoken to a few Captains regarding this subject and a few tell me they prefer the cocktail party so they can meet and mingle with more passengers/guests, opposed to only those seated at his table, which are usually the top 3, unless special requests/circumstances occur.

Cost cutting may account for the execution of the party and what is served, but the Captains who told me they prefer the cocktail party did seem to want to mingle and engage with as many at the event as possible, which is not possible with the luncheon.

Edited by wallyj

19 hours ago, DougH said:

Can you tell me if the Most Traveled is a luncheon or a cocktail party? I much prefer the lunch. #'s to attend?

Yes, it was the cocktail party. I’ll try to get the cut off. It was on a night we had the fresh salmon, and I didn’t eat any food there at all. I *think* I might have ordered one drink, but with the drink package, that’s not a big deal. I did greatly enjoy the conversation because we knew the Safety Officer from prior cruises. 

6 hours ago, sailorcrew said:

The salmon fishing excursion your husband did - was it through Princess or can you post the name of the company.  Thank you

Definitely a Princess excursion. $259pp plus the cost of an Alaska fishing license. And do make sure the salmon are running before you pay that kind of money. King salmon have a different season than Coho, and you have to have a special King Salmon license no keep it, but that season ends at the end of July. 

On 7/30/2023 at 9:15 AM, lucywestie said:

Following along on your blog and here. We are on the Sapphire for the Glacier cruisek, 14 nights in September. The last time we were on board (maybe 13 years ago) they had a special drinks menu just for Alaska, mostly sort of creamy alcoholic drinks like the Dirty Banana but also others. Lots of chocolate, cream etc. Just wondering if they are doing the same on your cruise?

There is a Baked Alaska martini and the Alaskan beers, but I haven’t run across any other special drinks. If I encounter any, I’ll make sure you’re aware. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chamima said:

Hi J!

Glad to see you're back sailing and Happy Anniversary.

We'll be on the Sapphire for the 32 day LA-Tahiti cruise at the end of October with the Plus package so I agree that the 2 casual dining meals for that length of a cruise is kind of silly.

We haven't been on the Sapphire yet but I've read on CC that Alfredos only has Pizza so how will they provide that full meal?

I’ll let you know next cruise what happens in vVnes and Alfredo’s. Lucky you, going on the South Pacific cruise!  We waited one day too long to book it, and any cabins we wanted were gone. G kept asking if I was sure I wanted to cruise that long, but to get  anck to Dravuni Island without a long flight, I would. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I’ll let you know next cruise what happens in vVnes and Alfredo’s. Lucky you, going on the South Pacific cruise!  We waited one day too long to book it, and any cabins we wanted were gone. G kept asking if I was sure I wanted to cruise that long, but to get  anck to Dravuni Island without a long flight, I would. 

Thanks!

You might want to check now.

I don't know about specific cabins but it appears there are a LOT of empty cabins.

Not so great for Princess but wonderful for us if it stays that way.

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

@ceilidh1 posted PDF's of all the for-fee casual dining locations in the big thread about the new changes.  Go to page 53 and scroll down and there are several posts with 1 or 2 menus per post.

Do you have the link?   I can’t find the thread. 

On 7/26/2023 at 6:19 AM, PescadoAmarillo said:

We’re in Vancouver and are boarding the Sapphire Princess today for a two week cruise to Alaska. I’m not doing a Live From as I’m not certain about onboard WiFi speeds, but I am blogging about our trip at

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2023/07/an-anniversary-cruise-to-alaska.html

Welcome back to cruising!!! I’ve missed reading your blogs and posts and was happy to find your newest thread today. I’m caught up on it and now it’s time to go read your blog. Wishing you and your husband a very happy anniversary!!!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Solara said:

Do you have the link?   I can’t find the thread. 

Here is a link to the first post about the changes. 

Edited by milogurd