My Owner's Suite Review - Riviera

PinonNoir

After reading through the review I'm wondering if there was anything you liked about the Owner's Suite and Oceania. It all seems to focus on the negatives. 

I can understand the OPs frustration.   Been in many cabins where it could use a human factors person to help design  -- same.  No hot tub -- they were pulled out as were the TV on the last redo, why?  they never worked.

Lights yes --  have been in hotels with a central touch pad to control all of the lights and am expected to learn to use this after a 15 hour flight. Overkill on a ship.  Ok for a home, but on a short cruise it takes the entire cruise to get used to where  and how each control works.

Space and why waste the money.  On cruises where we spend lots of time in the suite, reading on deck, why not.  It is a vacation.

I hope the service and the butler is good.  Best thing about the suite after a long excursion it is nice to eat in the room to be served from any restaurant by the Butler.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ORV said:

After reading through the review I'm wondering if there was anything you liked about the Owner's Suite and Oceania. It all seems to focus on the negatives. 

ORV, my review was about the Owners Suite, not Oceania overall.  I tried to focus on the suite.  I did mention the the view is incredible.  I will try to balance my first post out with some positives:

#1 For our group of 10 the space was excellent for nightly cocktail hours, so if you are with a group the living space is a big plus.  The deck space on the port side (without chaise lounges) was also an excellent spot to congregate when the weather was nice.  To be honest, they should just get rid of the chaise lounges.  They were never used (except as a tripping hazard).

#2 You get the best Butler on the ship.  Our Butler, Vinod, had canapes ready for us pretty much every day, and took care of our every need to accommodate lots of ice, mixed drink requirements and glasses.  Once he realized we were serious wine drinkers, he even brought in some of the better red wine glasses from Polo or Toscana.  He was able to expand a dinner in Red Ginger from 4 people to 8, and another Red Ginger dinner from 4 people to 6.  He was also able to get us off the ship sooner than most people when we tendered out in South Queensferry.  He went above and beyond continuously, and for that our entire group benefited.

#3 Having a second bathroom was very nice.  I will note that we found that our friends Oceania Suite also had a second bathroom, so it's not just Owners Suites with this benefit.  I'm not entirely sure why they put a shower in the guest bathroom?  Maybe if you are traveling with kids?

#4 The bluetooth speaker system worked quite well.  It seems they just added this, as the receiver was jury rigged to a loose wire on top of the under-counter refrigerator, but it worked.  I really liked that it worked out on the decks, and was loud enough to hear it, even while underway!

#5 The guys who make up your room are super nice and professional.  Just a joy to work with!  We made it clear we didn't like using a duvet, and they set us up with a top sheet.  We sleep hot, so this was excellent.

#6  Having decks on both sides of the ship allowed us to see a terrific send-off from Kirkwall in the Orkney Islands, as well as sunsets from either side of the ship.  As you enter any Port you have the option to view the side you want, which can't be said about any other suite category.

Ok, hopefully this balanced things out.  I appreciate all of the comments here, positive and negative.  I have some things to say about the Oceania ship itself, so I'll try to write a review for that.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

#3 Having a second bathroom was very nice.  I will note that we found that our friends Oceania Suite also had a second bathroom, so it's not just Owners Suites with this benefit.  I'm not entirely sure why they put a shower in the guest bathroom?  Maybe if you are traveling with kids?

Or maybe if you both want to shower  in the same time frame but not together 🤔

• Thanks 1

we had one of the Owners Suites on Riviera for a trans-Atlantic in (I think) 2015.   Loved it but a lot of your comments ring true with us.   especially the bed shaking you to bits when docking or I suppose whenever the stern thrusters were used.  

We did have a jacussi on the starboard side so maybe they removed it?  We never used it.  Piano - we could play it but since I don't really play the piano - I didn't!  Bar- no problems.  But I never considered getting another fridge - for what ?  No problems either with the curtains.  In fact I have some nice photos taken during a dinner we gave with the great aft view as a backdrop.

The main thing we hated - HATED ! I have to say - was the over-furnishing of the two balconies.  It was so hard (as you said) to move on those and since they are relatively narrow (why?  On Vista the balcony looks wider) you need more space.  The furniture was nice, heavy teak.  Just what we have at home.  But hard to move...

For the rest we really liked the suite and it would be our no. 1 choice (we have had Oceania and Vista suites) IF we did another trans-atlantic.  Which, given the fact we don't like long flights, we are unlikely to do.  Next cruise we have a Vista suite on Vista.  And are happy about that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Bar- no problems.  But I never considered getting another fridge - for what?

We boarded with a case of wine, then took a trip to Majestic wine in Southampton near the dock and grabbed 9 more bottles of white wine. The little fridge barely fits two bottles of wine plus all the tonic water and other stuff our resident bar tender needed for happy hour. It would have been nice to have more room for wine in the fridge, particularly for pre-chilling our precious California Pinot for dinner...as it's supposed to be at 55 degrees for serving.

Edited by PinonNoir
changed dick to dock
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, PinonNoir said:

There should be a switch in the cabin that allows you to turn announcements on and off. I'd like to know when the ship is cleared for going ashore, and not have to run to the door and open it to find that out. I'm going on a cruise for the itinerary, so this is important info IMO.

Great idea. I really hate the way it is. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PinonNoir said:

We boarded with a case of wine, then took a trip to Majestic wine in Southampton near the dock and grabbed 9 more bottles of white wine. The little fridge barely fits two bottles of wine plus all the tonic water and other stuff our resident bar tender needed for happy hour. It would have been nice to have more room for wine in the fridge, particularly for pre-chilling our precious California Pinot for dinner...as it's supposed to be at 55 degrees for serving.

It has never occurred to me to take wine with me when I board - Maybe I should bring some white or rosé (we no longer drink red) when we board in Malta and then just order 3 bottles of Tanqueray and 3 bottles of Johnny Walker!   Was there no problem in getting the case on board?

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

It has never occurred to me to take wine with me when I board - Maybe I should bring some white or rosé (we no longer drink red) when we board in Malta and then just order 3 bottles of Tanqueray and 3 bottles of Johnny Walker!   Was there no problem in getting the case on board?

No problem whatsoever.  Their rule is 6 bottles per stateroom, but that rule is never enforced, or even brought up. Corkage in the restaurants is $25. Free to drink in your stateroom.  The wine selection on the ship, particularly for Pinot Noir, is abysmal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PinonNoir said:

No problem whatsoever.  Their rule is 6 bottles per stateroom, but that rule is never enforced, or even brought up. Corkage in the restaurants is $25. Free to drink in your stateroom.  The wine selection on the ship, particularly for Pinot Noir, is abysmal.

@PinonNoir What I like about current topic on this thread is putting some thought into making a cruise the best it can be.  If wine, or a better level of wine is important to your vacation, bring it on board.  Your screen name says it all.  My wife loves Chardonnay.  May be I will bring a couple of bottles for the suite just to make sure she is happy.  I do have a question.

The Rule of 6 bottles per stateroom.  Can you clarify.  Are you saying, Oceania will allow you to bring 6 bottles of wine on board OR are you referring to the six bottle of Spirits or wine that is an amenity to the Owners Suite? 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

46 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@PinonNoir What I like about current topic on this thread is putting some thought into making a cruise the best it can be.  If wine, or a better level of wine is important to your vacation, bring it on board.  Your screen name says it all.  My wife loves Chardonnay.  May be I will bring a couple of bottles for the suite just to make sure she is happy.  I do have a question.

The Rule of 6 bottles per stateroom.  Can you clarify.  Are you saying, Oceania will allow you to bring 6 bottles of wine on board OR are you referring to the six bottle of Spirits or wine that is an amenity to the Owners Suite? 

Oceania does not enforce the six bottle limit. They allow you to bring whatever you choose aboard. This applies to wine, beer, and liquor.

Please, no what outs ! 🙄 If it contains alcohol, it’s included in the above.🥂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@PinonNoir  I do have a question.

This rule is supposed to be for every stateroom. I brought an obvious wine shipper with 6 bottles and there was never a question from anybody.  My other 6 bottles, including two magnums, were in a piece of carry on luggage, wrapped in bubble wrap.  Both of these were xrayed so they knew what it was.

An hour after boarding we walked over to Majestic Wine with my carry on, and I fit 9 bottles of white in that. A friend joined me and carried a box of liquor and a soft sided wine carrier back on board. Again, we went through the xray, no question asked. The rule is as effective as their wifi.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

I thought the "six bottles" was a reference to the 6 bottles that people in the suites can choose from the list...   

That is why I asked the question earlier.  I then went back to the Oceania Website to see about the rules.  1) We can bring 6 bottles of wine onboard.  We can drink it in our staterooms.  If went want to bring them with us to a restaurant.  There is a $25.00 cork fee.  2) In Oceania, Vista and Owners Suites, you are provided by Oceania 6 bottles of spirits or Wine.

The poster was not happy with the wine selection so they brought their own.  I, like you got the two things confused.  What I learned was bring a couple of my wife's favorite wine for the suite.  Good information and much appreciated. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PinonNoir said:

#1 For our group of 10 the space was excellent for nightly cocktail hours, so if you are with a group the living space is a big plus.

Bingo!  Methinks you've nailed it.

What I take from your review is that Owner's Suite is aimed at the likes of a CEO hosting top sales producers.  Otherwise it's like hammering a nail with a heavy screwdriver: it might work, but the wrong tool, err suite for the trip?

Edited by Snaefell3
  • Like 2

On 7/26/2023 at 6:50 PM, LHT28 said:

Do cruise lines  still have that option??

Have not see that in many years

Royal Caribbean does and Hurtigruten does it thru the phone if you choose the option. Beats running to open your cabin door and listening!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, vtgumby said:

Royal Caribbean does and Hurtigruten does it thru the phone if you choose the option. Beats running to open your cabin door and listening!

never been on those   so cannot comment

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

never been on those   so cannot comment

We had to use RCCL after a Windstar to connect (fun culture shock!) and I can say that was one of the few perks of that line but love Hurts way too. Give customers the option to listen or not.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

I thought the "six bottles" was a reference to the 6 bottles that people in the suites can choose from the list...   

Sorry if I made that confusing. For the 6 bottles in the Owners Suite I had my bartender friend pick the spirits. While he was disappointed they didn't have Tanqueary 10, he made do with regular Tanqueray and Blue Sapphire.

I opted for a bottle of Port as my only pick from the 6 bottles. Do not pick their Port...it is really God awful!  If this is the only Port somebody ever tries, they are truly missing out on something wonderful!

1 minute ago, PinonNoir said:

Sorry if I made that confusing. For the 6 bottles in the Owners Suite I had my bartender friend pick the spirits. While he was disappointed they didn't have Tanqueary 10, he made do with regular Tanqueray and Blue Sapphire.

I opted for a bottle of Port as my only pick from the 6 bottles. Do not pick their Port...it is really God awful!  If this is the only Port somebody ever tries, they are truly missing out on something wonderful!

We are in an Oceania Suite, first time on O. For our 6 bottles: if liquor, must be consumed in our suite, for any wine we select we can take it anywhere without a corkage fee. Is there anything else I need to know? Can I request a cocktail shaker, a jigger, a peeler? Can I request fresh lemon, lime, orange?

5 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

We are in an Oceania Suite, first time on O. For our 6 bottles: if liquor, must be consumed in our suite, for any wine we select we can take it anywhere without a corkage fee. Is there anything else I need to know? Can I request a cocktail shaker, a jigger, a peeler? Can I request fresh lemon, lime, orange?

We have requested fresh citrus and received with no problem and not in an Owners Suite....I am sure if they have extra, you will be provided with what ever you want

6 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Your butler will get you any bartender supplies you want. Orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice, peeler, shaker, jigger, rock glasses....just ask and it appears. If you pick a wine there is indeed no corkage. Also important that if you dine in your stateroom there is of course no corkage.

• Thanks 1