Car Rental and drop off logistics - Port Canaveral

ixmnrs

Hello fellow cruisers,

We are sailing on the Wonder of the Seas out of Port Canaveral; there are six of us flying into Orlando the day before. Plan was to rent a a car both for the trip there and pick up for the trip back . What is the recommended procedure most people would do? I am travelling with a couple in their 80s.  Would it be best to drop off everyone at the port and then go return the car and shuttle back vs take everyone to car rental place (national/enterprise) and shuttle.  Or forget about the car rental and use a GoPort type service.

Edited by ixmnrs

We always rent a car when flying into Orlando. That way we can do a few things the night before/day of.  Then dropping it off at enterprise and taking their shuttle is easy.

Now as for if you should drop off your crew and return the car yourself vs. all six of you dropping off the car, 50/50 on that one.  Though there is an indoor waiting area for the shuttles, so for a couple in their 80s, that may be better than having them fend for themselves for a bit at the port.

My suggestion is to get a hotel near MCO.  Use their free shuttle to get you from the airport to the hotel.  Arrange for private transportation (there are a LOT of them) to get you from the hotel to the port the next day (because you are flying in the day before, right?).  Yes, more expensive, BUT less hassle.

If you need a car, based on what you've written, I would drop off the two 80 year olds, luggage, and four others at the pier.  Go return the car with someone else (keeps you company) and catch the shuttle back. 

IF you were to rent a car, drop everyone off, then go drop off the car. 

But given the number of people, a rental car for 6 plus luggage vs a service to move all in a van- a van may be cheaper. And pretty easy, as you might only need to reserve a service from the port. Some hotels do offer both way transportation even back to MCO. 

2 hours ago, ixmnrs said:

Hello fellow cruisers,

We are sailing on the Wonder of the Seas out of Port Canaveral; there are six of us flying into Orlando the day before. Plan was to rent a a car both for the trip there and pick up for the trip back . What is the recommended procedure most people would do? I am traveling with a couple in their 80s.  Would it be best to drop off everyone at the port and then go return the car and shuttle back vs take everyone to car rental place (national/enterprise) and shuttle.  Or forget about the car rental and use a GoPort type service.

I'm assuming all six are going to the Port Canaveral.  For four, I would definitely rent a car (about $100/day)!  But a six passenger car will also be difficult.  It looks like Enterprise has a 7 passenger minivan for $180 per day.  That's exactly what you'd pay for a shuttle.  So I'll revert back to a previous answer.  Stay at a property north of MCO that shuttles pick-up from.  Rent a car for the Orlando part of the trip but return it on the evening before you cruise (so you don't get charged for an extra day).  But on the cruise day, arrange for a shuttle to Port Canaveral.  It will save you the hassle of returning a car before your cruise. 

• Like 1

I have rented a car like this several times. I like having a car so I can go to the beach, restaurant or even grocery store. I would drop off the luggage, and return the car with maybe one other person. I would drop off anyone who is in same cabin together so they could get started checking in. It's also great on the way back if the flights are later in the day. Why hang at the airport all that time.

Shuttle is much easier if you don't have to schlep six people AND all their bags onto the shuttle and then off the shuttle. Drop off everyone and all bags at the port then go return the car by yourself. Take shuttle back to port with no bags. 

Thank you for all your replies. No horror stories so far so I think the plan is set then. Flying in day before in Orlando and late flight on disembarkation day means I will have use of the car makes more sense for this many people. I have the minivan reserved so hopefully big enough; didn’t want the transit van! Lol