POLL: How Will You Sail Now, With All of the Upcoming Package Changes?

Jeter02

How Will You Sail Now, With All of the Upcoming Package Changes?  

528 members have voted

1. 1. How Will You Sail Now, With All of the Upcoming Package Changes?

• Standard Fare
    • Princess Plus
    • Princess Premier
    • Adios! Seeking New Cruise Line
    • Farewell to Cruising Altogether (I'm Done with Cruising Altogether)
  2. 2. Will You Be Continuing to Sail the Way You Always Have? Or Will You Be Upgrading or Downgrading Your Package?

• Will Continue Sailing With the Same Package as Always
    • Upgrading My Package
    • Downgrading My Pacakge

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

We are not non-drinkers, but the pricing in the packages that represents the alcohol portion (I ignore the OTT ice cream sundaes) doesn't work for us. 

What do you mean by alcohol portion?  The drink portion of the fare also includes soda, water, fancy coffee, etc.  It is not just alcohol.  My San Pelegrino consumption alone more than covers the value of it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Makes me wonder if people cruising in the next few weeks appealed to PCL, looking to cancel, if PCL wouldn't offer something back like some OBC or a package upgrade in order to retain the business.  If so, the guest might be good still after the cruise and book again.  If they let them go, they probably aren't returning.  Tough call, but if I were PCL, I'd at least listen to their pitch and try and assess if this is a customer I can retain with some goodwill or if they just want to b***h and dump me.

Doubt Princess’ new inefficient and scripted off shore call center would even know what is going on or what to do.  Supposedly more  of the new and improved Princess product.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ExploringTheGlobe said:

What do you mean by alcohol portion?  The drink portion of the fare also includes soda, water, fancy coffee, etc.  It is not just alcohol.  My San Pelegrino consumption alone more than covers the value of it.

Okay.. poor choice of words.  But I think we all know it is a full beverage line.  Sorry missed that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Doubt Princess’ new inefficient and scripted off shore call center would even know what is going on or what to do.  Supposedly more  of the new and improved Princess product.

Obviously it wouldn't do any good to just speak to one of the phone reps.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Makes me wonder if people cruising in the next few weeks appealed to PCL, looking to cancel, if PCL wouldn't offer something back like some OBC or a package upgrade in order to retain the business.  If so, the guest might be good still after the cruise and book again.  If they let them go, they probably aren't returning.  Tough call, but if I were PCL, I'd at least listen to their pitch and try and assess if this is a customer I can retain with some goodwill or if they just want to b***h and dump me.

If someone adresses it as a late notification that impacts their on board experience from what was advertised (not turning it into a general complaint session) then I would expect the odds of a positive reaction is good.  Such a discussion would need to be escalated.

Considering that the notification has not really been made to passengers, mostly focused to TA's. I expect that many will not know about the changes until they board.  I would expect that a polite discussion with customer service on board about the lack of notification and the impact compared to what was previously advertised might also generate a small level of compensation

Edited by ldtr

8 minutes ago, ldtr said:

If someone adresses it as a late notification that impacts their on board experience from what was advertised (not turning it into a general complaint session) then I would expect the odds of a positive reaction is good.  Such a discussion would need to be escalated.

Considering that the notification has not really been made to passengers, mostly focused to TA's. I expect that many will not know about the changes until they board.  I would expect that a polite discussion with customer service on board about the lack of notification and the impact compared to what was previously advertised might also generate a small level of compensation

True in that a large majority of guests will be blissfully unaware, unless paying a modicum of attention to their cruise information.  Those with $60/$80 Plus/Premier will see an update to Travel Summary in due course that should list the new benefits.  Those on old plans don't get a change.

Princess should send out a mass email to all booked guests on Old plans to announce the changes and use it as an opportunity to suggest they upgrade and how to do it.  Otherwise, they are made aware at varying times in advance of sailing.  For all I know, they are doing this.

They should also send out a different email to all guests booked on the New plans and explain the changes and what they are getting included now and they don't need to do anything (unless of course they have been thinking of upgrading to Premier).  Advise and market at the same time.

A transparent Princess would also generate a third email to all booked guests on Standard and let them know of the changes and again use the opportunity to suggest they may want to add a package now with all the new benefits included.  Advise and market at the same time.

IMO, it creates better goodwill than surprising thousands of guests each week for the next couple of months until word spreads more.  Even then, not everyone will know.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

True in that a large majority of guests will be blissfully unaware, unless paying a modicum of attention to their cruise information.  Those with $60/$80 Plus/Premier will see an update to Travel Summary in due course that should list the new benefits.  Those on old plans don't get a change.

Princess should send out a mass email to all booked guests on Old plans to announce the changes and use it as an opportunity to suggest they upgrade and how to do it.  Otherwise, they are made aware at varying times in advance of sailing.  For all I know, they are doing this.

They should also send out a different email to all guests booked on the New plans and explain the changes and what they are getting included now and they don't need to do anything (unless of course they have been thinking of upgrading to Premier).  Advise and market at the same time.

A transparent Princess would also generate a third email to all booked guests on Standard and let them know of the changes and again use the opportunity to suggest they may want to add a package now with all the new benefits included.  Advise and market at the same time.

IMO, it creates better goodwill than surprising thousands of guests each week for the next couple of months until word spreads more.  Even then, not everyone will know.

However sending out advance notification means any hostile reaction will be concentrated in a short time period, resulting in it feeding on itself. As demonstrated here on CC. Individuals finding out after they board will diffuse the timing of the reaction.  A number of the cruisers will not notice.  Out of those that notice some accept the change and not really care.  Out of those that do care some will complain individually to customer service.

So from a company point of view you can make a big thing over 3 relatively small changes and risk a massive reaction.  Or you can deal with each individual when and if the issue comes up and have it pretty much be a background issue. Considering that the change is 14.99 to activate order by app or TV, $5 per order room service (many of those trying Princess for the first time are surprised that it has been free since other lines have been charge for it already), and making the GiGi/Alfredo a charged for venue are fairly small, I would expect them to go the no notice route.

I expect that there will be a policy for some small level of compensation at customer service for cruises starting within a month or two of the change.  As well as telling people about potential to either buy or to upgrade a package.

Edited by ldtr

7 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Do you know what the charge is?

Can you decline room service? 

Sure you just do not order anything.

For hot breakfast, lunch or dinner $9.95 + 18% gratuity

Continental breakfast still free from 6 to 9:30 am

Cruises lines will never please everyone. I'm convinced they could hand out bars of gold and some would complain. e.g. "I can only cruise one a year and don't get the same number of gold bars as someone who cruises more often."

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Cruises lines will never please everyone. I'm convinced they could hand out bars of gold and some would complain. e.g. "I can only cruise one a year and don't get the same number of gold bars as someone who cruises more often."

Mine was scratched and they would not polish it.  😁

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't do breakfast, but will Princess now charge for RS Continental Breakfast?

If you order by phone yes

if you order by door hanger no

31 minutes ago, ldtr said:

However sending out advance notification means any hostile reaction will be concentrated in a short time period, resulting in it feeding on itself. As demonstrated here on CC. Individuals finding out after they board will diffuse the timing of the reaction.  A number of the cruisers will not notice.  Out of those that notice some accept the change and not really care.  Out of those that do care some will complain individually to customer service.

So from a company point of view you can make a big thing over 3 relatively small changes and risk a massive reaction.  Or you can deal with each individual when and if the issue comes up and have it pretty much be a background issue. Considering that the change is 14.99 to activate order by app or TV, $5 per order room service (many of those trying Princess for the first time are surprised that it has been free since other lines have been charge for it already), and making the GiGi/Alfredo a charged for venue are fairly small, I would expect them to go the no notice route.

I expect that there will be a policy for some small level of compensation at customer service for cruises starting within a month or two of the change.  As well as telling people about potential to either buy or to upgrade a package.

I don't disagree but leaving it until passengers are on board will result in the staff copping some complaints which they don't deserve. Not to mention the queues at the Customer Service desk.

I get all the comments about this charge being unfair etc etc etc but for $15 when people are outlaying thousands for a cruise, some of the reaction is over the top to me.

• Like 2

Personally, I've never understood the appeal of a room service meal.  I would much rather have a hot meal in the HC or the MDR and not have to bus my own cabin table.  The chairs are a lot more comfortable in the HC and MDR as well. But, to each his own.

That being said, SWMBO enjoys it when I take her travel mug to the HC and bring her a hot cup of coffee back to the cabin in the morning.

• Like 7

On 7/28/2023 at 9:05 AM, Jeter02 said:

I'm the same exact way on everything you have mentioned, except different swap out orders for my mini bar. I'm like a cheap date and only ask for bottled water.

"I'm like a cheap date and only ask for bottled water".😂❤️👍 Real honesty right there. 

Edited by shandryl

12 hours ago, ldtr said:

Sure you just do not order anything.

For hot breakfast, lunch or dinner $9.95 + 18% gratuity

Continental breakfast still free from 6 to 9:30 am

12 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

$9.95 per order + 18% gratuity.

You could go to the buffet and bring food back to your cabin.

Thanks.

We don't do room service but I wanted to know how they compare to Princess.

12 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

That being said, SWMBO enjoys it when I take her travel mug to the HC and bring her a hot cup of coffee back to the cabin in the morning.

I go to the IC for my my coffee most mornings and bring back breakfast for mine. Maybe I will start charging her $5 for that. 😉

• Haha 8

On 7/29/2023 at 4:14 AM, Jimmys Chippy said:

We use the package for drinks, tips and wifi, I couldn’t care less for all the other stuff.

When you do the math, any guest who purchases a WiFi package without Princess Plus is only saving about $196 per cruise, per guest if you don't get Princess Plus.  Plus takes care of your Gratuities, WiFi and Drinks up to $15. Purchasing a WiFi package and paying your Gratuities runs around $32/day pp depending on your cabin. That means you're paying around $28/day pp for your drinks package.

28x7 = $196/pp or $392 per cabin for a one week cruise.

For those of you who will be purchasing a WiFi package without Plus, as long as you spend under $400 on your coffee/soda/wine/beer/cocktails/mocktails and don't purchase any of the items rolled into Plus, during a one week cruise, you'll come out ahead. If you spend over $400 on your next one-week cruise on those items, then Plus would be a consideration. 

Edited by CruisingWalter
  • Like 2