POLL: How Will You Sail Now, With All of the Upcoming Package Changes?

Jeter02

How Will You Sail Now, With All of the Upcoming Package Changes?  

528 members have voted

1. 1. How Will You Sail Now, With All of the Upcoming Package Changes?

• Standard Fare
    • Princess Plus
    • Princess Premier
    • Adios! Seeking New Cruise Line
    • Farewell to Cruising Altogether (I'm Done with Cruising Altogether)
  2. 2. Will You Be Continuing to Sail the Way You Always Have? Or Will You Be Upgrading or Downgrading Your Package?

• Will Continue Sailing With the Same Package as Always
    • Upgrading My Package
    • Downgrading My Pacakge

1 minute ago, JGmf said:

You are going to cancel b/c of a $5 or $15 here or there extra cost?????

That's your prerogative, of course, but it doesn't seem (to me) like these changes are material enough to drive people to that kind of decision on a multi-day vacation that I'm assuming you've been looking forward to. 

Best to you on your decision.

No, not going to cancel over one $15/$5 charge. But I will cancel when the company that promises something via their advertising and then pulls it after they have my money, tries to charge more for what I already purchased.  I don't know of any land based retail company that can sell something for one price, collect your money and then refuse to give you what you purchased unless you pay them more money. If Princess is willing to do that to the number of people sailing in the next few weeks, just because they can, what's to prevent them from deciding to charge for the MDR? Want to see the shows in the theater? It's another $25/per person. Oh...you agreed to the terms and conditions so we can do what we like. 

When I make a purchase, I expect to get what was advertised at the time I purchased it. When a company doesn't honor what they advertised, it's a red flag. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, ldtr said:

What exactly are the Elite cuts after the restart?

Lets see the change to internet from free minutes to 50% discount on unlimited?  That happened years before Covid shutdown.  They also added the 10% discount on excursions at that time.

There was the removal of the loyalty OBC, but that was not an Elite benefit

There was the elimination of the ability to swap the minibar for Coffee cards, because the coffee card program no longer exists.  However the minibar benefit is still there.

Some people have reported that they cannot get the retail discount on Sale items.  The bag of toiletry items are gone.  If anyone really missed them.

So exactly what Elite benefits have gone away since the restart?

I applaud you that you see no differences. Glad you are happy to remain loyal to a company that does not appreciate you. We choose to go a different route going forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

With the fitness class (last cruise you couldn't get into a class) and the casual dinning meal limited to only two per person per cruise, it diminishes the value for longer cruises especially when you cannot book them as B-B.  Have started to move cruises over to a more inclusive type cruise line as the price difference is getting smaller and smaller.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

the cost of the packages is fixed per person per day.

Not in the UK. There are quite often "deals" on the price of the package. For example the last cruise I was on there was a free upgrade to Premium (and the Plus price was reduced). The next cruise that I booked had Plus at half price. On top of that it also depends on how much OBC is on offer

As long as we are still in a free market economy, the basic law of the marketplace applies: charge what the traffic will bear.

In a free market economy, as consumers we can choose whether to pay for a good or service at the asking price or move on and spend our money elsewhere.

Complaining or praising here does little good.  It's only when the goods are left sitting on the table unsold that the price comes down.

I vote with my wallet.

• Like 5

Just now, CrazyTrain2 said:

Eh, Curtis isn't that good.

Not wasn't. Gos restaurant onboard I think 2 of the ships Ruby and I want to say Emerald, bombed. People disliked the communal table setups, and the said the price was too high. I had friends who were matri'ds food advise me to skip the restaurant shared as to food really wasn't all that great.

I usually remember the adventure, the laughs and the friends more than the 12th cocktail of the day.  I prefer to sail without packages, buy things as might want and not fret too much about "Not getting my money's worth."

I could easily afford an upgraded room or a deluxe inclusive package, but in the end I don't find value in those things.

• Like 3

Princess Plus has been one of the best packages in the cruising industry for a while. Reasonable price, good inclusions and it only got better today. Especially since they left the pricing in place. It'd be nice if they simply wrapped most everything into the fare ala Virgin Voyages, but I love where they are going now with Plus and Premier.  Our first cruises were on Princess and we have no reason to stop sailing them now, especially with the new class of ships coming next year!! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LMADAMS91 said:

No, not going to cancel over one $15/$5 charge. But I will cancel when the company that promises something via their advertising and then pulls it after they have my money, tries to charge more for what I already purchased.

This is true of all cruise lines. Venues are removed and changed, restaurants are added or removed. Cruises and cruise ships are evolutionary and what you paid for today may not be exactly what you get when you board the ship in 6 months. We've been cruising almost 20 years and having something that was free when we booked turn to something that's now paid has happened with us in the past. We just roll with it. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

For some people the amount of sea days makes a world of a difference apparently when it comes to deciding the package or which package is the way to go. I've always read that more people tend to drink when they're doing a Caribbean ceiling versus let's say a European sailing.

I think you are right there but I had never really thought about it like that. We have done European cruises which are very port intensive and we wouldn't drink anywhere near as much as a cruise with many sea days when you are on the ship. I guess for me, I get the Plus package just to save getting a bill at the end of the cruise. I don't really bother whether one or the other options is best cost wise as there wouldn't be enough difference to worry. I just rather have everything paid for upfront. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, leck57 said:

I guess for me, I get the Plus package just to save getting a bill at the end of the cruise. I don't really bother whether one or the other options is best cost wise as there wouldn't be enough difference to worry. I just rather have everything paid for upfront. 

I would rather not spend money on things I'll never use to their full value.  But then, I'd rather save money on a couple of cruises and have enough leftover in the travel fund to book a third.

All depends on what's important to you and how you want to cruise.

But then, I'm the guy who forgoes the paint protection packages and other dealer add ons when I buy a car or truck every 10-15 years.  I'd rather wax them myself and do my own oil changes.  A good friend of mine prefers to lease a new vehicle every three years and have the routine maintenance included.  He also wonders how I can afford to cruise 3 or 4 times a year.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, SB05 said:

We also get coffee only very early in the am and from what I am reading, we will now be charged $5.00

Are you referring to coffee delivered to your cabin? You'll be charged $5 if you phone Room Service for your order. If you order via the breakfast door tag or on Ocean Now (yeah I know there's a one time setup) or on your TV, there's no charge.

• Like 3

Let's see, since I booked and made final payment for my 15 day cruise already, if I want the same experience as I thought I was getting it will cost me $30 to set up ocean now, $5 for each RS delivery (last cruise was at least once a day), and $30 each time we want to go to Alfredo's (and this is a TA so it is heavy on sea days.)

Don't drink alcohol and only drink one soda per day, don't drink foo foo coffee (just black thank you) and would only waste time if I had the internet on the cruise (had plus last cruise and spent to much time on Facebook for some reason) and would enjoy it less.  Have already given the family the information on how to call us if there is an emergency.  So no need there.  Could always go to the internet cafe if there was a real emergency (and couldn't get off in the middle of a TA anyway.)

So yeah, not pleased with princess taking away things I thought I had paid for.  And let's not mention the possibility of losing either the veteran's OBC or the shareholder OBC.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, SB05 said:

I applaud you that you see no differences. Glad you are happy to remain loyal to a company that does not appreciate you. We choose to go a different route going forward.

I did not say that I see no differences.  I listed the elite benefits that actually have been cut and asked you what others.  Funny thing is that people talk about the cuts to the Elite benefits, but when you get into the details there really have been very few.  The bag of toiletries, not being able to use the retail discount on sale items.  What else?

So the question still remains what Elite benefits have actually been cut since the restart?

Edited by ldtr

1 minute ago, ldtr said:

I did not say that I see no differences.  I listed the ones that actually have been cut and asked you what others.  Funny thing is that people talk about the cuts to the Elite benefits, but when you get into the details there really have been very few.  The bag of toiletries, not being able to use the retail discount on sale items.  What else?

So the question still remains what Elite benefits have actually been cut since the restart?

The loyalty OBC! Free wifi

7 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

The loyalty OBC! Free wifi

the loyalty OBC was not an Elite benefit, totally different program though you certainly had to have more cruises than Elite in order to qualify.

The changes to the Internet occurred long before the shutdown let alone the restart.  The benefit was changed from a limited number of free minutes to a 50% discount on unlimited.  

That change was made because the entire method of selling internet changed on board requiring the change from a limited number of minutes (lets see what was it something like 250 minutes for a 14 day cruise.  Something like 15 minutes a day on average.

Also when that change was made is when Princess add the 10% discount on excursions to balance out the costs.

I suspect that even if the limited number of minutes was possible most would go for the unlimited option.

So nope neither of those are Elite benefits removed after the restart.  Though the Loyalty benefit OBC program was certainly removed after the restart, just not an elite benefit.

Edited by ldtr

12 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I've never had enough to drink to justify a package, my wife doesn't drink at all.  So I'll just be base onboard fare for these cruise lines and, I don't know, pay for french fries or to rent a deck chair I guess. 

LOL.  My husband joked that by the time we go on our next cruise, they will charge extra for the bed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, rideev said:

it will cost me $30 to set up ocean now, $5 for each RS delivery (last cruise was at least once a day)

Note that if you engage the Ocean Now for single $15 fee per voyage booked, you do not have to pay RS $5 fee on top.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

As long as we are still in a free market economy, the basic law of the marketplace applies: charge what the traffic will bear.

In a free market economy, as consumers we can choose whether to pay for a good or service at the asking price or move on and spend our money elsewhere.

Complaining or praising here does little good.  It's only when the goods are left sitting on the table unsold that the price comes down.

I vote with my wallet.

econ 101 

• Thanks 1

As i look at the current statistics here on my poll, it's showing its pretty much 50 / 50 between standard and plus. So the whole hoopla of them pushing for people (especially the standard people) to upgrade to an actual package That's not going to happen, as the second poll shows that most people are content with the package that they have always gotten and, have no intentions of changing the package they have bought in the past. It's also very interesting to see the number of people who actually plan on downgrading the package that they would typically get.

Also between this thread, and the mega thread of all the talk on the changes... there seems to be quite a vast majority of guests who really just don't drink alcohol, mocktails, soda, coffee, or drink enough to justify the need or cost of a package. This brings zero value to them to, let's say upgrading to at least the plus package.

In my personal, honest opinion: I truly believe that this sales tactic to push people to buy packages or upgrade their packages is going to backfire. In fact it's putting a terribly sour taste into people's mouths In regards to how the company is going about with all this.

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 11

We’re already booked for our January cruise in Plus so that’s not going to change our view in the short term, what might move us away from packages altogether is if we’re not getting value for money and that would come from the price per day increasing, not from what perceived “value” were getting from the pointless add ons (and take aways) that Princess are hell bent on playing around with.

We use the package for drinks, tips and wifi, I couldn’t care less for all the other stuff.

• Like 5