Fjords Norway

Hello, sorry if this has been asked before. I searched, but didn't find this topic.  Is there a "better" cruise line for viewing Norway's fjords?  We're not fancy, and care less about the bells and whistles of a cruise ship, than in scenic and wildlife viewing.  Thank-you.

If you like scenery, then you are going to the right place !   Norway cruises are beautiful.  I agree with Ine, look for Flam, Geiranger (both long Fjords).    Some stops in Norway are not fjords at all, but still very nice coastal cities (Bergen, etc.).   Be careful with the cruiselines' title of the trip - they like to spin things.    Look and see what each cruise's ports are and browse these boards to understand a little about the ports and see if they appeal to you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Barbara H said:

Hello, sorry if this has been asked before. I searched, but didn't find this topic.  Is there a "better" cruise line for viewing Norway's fjords?  We're not fancy, and care less about the bells and whistles of a cruise ship, than in scenic and wildlife viewing.  Thank-you.

We chose Viking, It is a Norwegian owned cruise line (corporate headquarters in Switzerland, 

marketing headquarters in the US.)  Well respected, check out the Viking Cruise Critic website. The line is an expert  on Norway. No nickel and dime on board, no children, emphasis on excursions and lectures, modern Scandinavian design ships holding 930 passengers.

Edited by janetcbl
  • Like 1

Already many good answers. Many cruise lines have good itineraries to Norwegian Fjords.

Make sure that itinerary includes deep fjords. Best ports in deep fjords are Geiranger, Flåm, Olden and Skjolden (prioritized) - possibly Eidfjord.

Best Coastal cities to visit are Bergen, Stavanger, Ålesund.

Many itineraries does include very small or less interesting ports. 

Some cruises are Arctic Circle crossing cruises to North Cape (Honningsvåg) and Lofoten Islands.

For the deep fjords the size of ship doesn’t matter - even the biggest cruise ship can navigate the deep fjords,

Please note that navigating the deep fjords to Geiranger and Flåm will be drastic reduced from 2026 when ‘zero emission zones’ are introduced in the UNESCO heritage fjords.

Have a close look at the itinerary and research the ports.

If you want something different look at Hurtigruten / Havila Voyages.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CCJack said:

If you like scenery, then you are going to the right place !   Norway cruises are beautiful.  I agree with Ine, look for Flam, Geiranger (both long Fjords).    Some stops in Norway are not fjords at all, but still very nice coastal cities (Bergen, etc.).   Be careful with the cruiselines' title of the trip - they like to spin things.    Look and see what each cruise's ports are and browse these boards to understand a little about the ports and see if they appeal to you. 

That's good info to know.  Thanks!

I'd also vote for visiting Olden, Gieranger and Flam.  There are private tours available in all of those ports you should chose if possible (all of that info is in my signature line if you find a cruise that works for you in those ports).

Generally the people on this forum recommend choosing the itinerary over the cruise line in the Baltics, but please note  some concerns with NCL.

On my last sailing, they changed our itinerary on our sailing after final payment to help save the environment, cancelling one port my kids really wanted (the Dominican Republic) and cancelling the morning of another (Antigua) which prevented us from seeing the giant toirteses because that's only open in the morning.  I called NCL and asked them to let me switch to the same cruise a few weeks later and they refused because they'd made the itinerary changes after final payment.  For an entire month, they continued to advertise the original itinerary on their website after the changes were made and even people who called NCL directly to book after the port was cancelled were not told  of the changes and weren't able to cancel either.  Especially if you choose NCL, please make sure that you are aware of the cancellation policies, and that either your credit card or trip insurance would cover nonrefundable deposits in case you can't dock (this can happen with any cruise line.)

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kitkat343 said:

I'd also vote for visiting Olden, Gieranger and Flam.  There are private tours available in all of those ports you should chose if possible (all of that info is in my signature line if you find a cruise that works for you in those ports).

Generally the people on this forum recommend choosing the itinerary over the cruise line in the Baltics, but please note  some concerns with NCL.

On my last sailing, they changed our itinerary on our sailing after final payment to help save the environment, cancelling one port my kids really wanted (the Dominican Republic) and cancelling the morning of another (Antigua) which prevented us from seeing the giant toirteses because that's only open in the morning.  I called NCL and asked them to let me switch to the same cruise a few weeks later and they refused because they'd made the itinerary changes after final payment.  For an entire month, they continued to advertise the original itinerary on their website after the changes were made and even people who called NCL directly to book after the port was cancelled were not told  of the changes and weren't able to cancel either.  Especially if you choose NCL, please make sure that you are aware of the cancellation policies, and that either your credit card or trip insurance would cover nonrefundable deposits in case you can't dock (this can happen with any cruise line.)

That sounds terrible about NCL!  I'm sorry.

I found a potential Princess cruise that does go to Olden. Flam and Geiranger.  Looks promising.  If I choose it, I won't go with their insurance. I'd had a cruise booked with them last spring and had to cancel due to a total knee replacement.  I couldn't get my money back til I contacted the BBB and Attorney General.  Not good!

1 hour ago, Barbara H said:

That sounds terrible about NCL!  I'm sorry.

I found a potential Princess cruise that does go to Olden. Flam and Geiranger.  Looks promising.  If I choose it, I won't go with their insurance. I'd had a cruise booked with them last spring and had to cancel due to a total knee replacement.  I couldn't get my money back til I contacted the BBB and Attorney General.  Not good!

so sorry about that.  We've always used insurance through insure my trip, but so far we've been lucky enough not to fie a claim so I don't know much about it.  I think there was a similar problem reported on cruise critic where the NCL air bought through the crusieline was cancelled and the cruise line insurance didn't cover the cruise reported on the NCL forum.  Hopefully your knee is better and an independent insurance policy will work out better for you in the future.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 4:03 PM, Barbara H said:

Is there a "better" cruise line for viewing Norway's fjords?

For Norway and the  fjords,and as the ship itself isn't a  top priority for you, I personally would go with the itinerary.  Once you have browsed the threads and travel websites, guide books etc, you should have a better idea of which ports might interest you most (and there are several good suggestions already posted in this thread) And as Norway isn't all about the ports, remember that there are also scenic cruising possibilities and these too  are often listed on the itineraries.

If more than one cruise line offers similar itineraries, at that point you can begin to compare the ships and cruise lines for the one you think would be the best for you.

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2023 at 2:27 PM, CCJack said:

Also,

I would consider the departure city.   This is important to me when choosing a cruise, more important than the cruiseline.   For Norway, I think Amsterdam is an excellent choice (assuming you are going before they stop cruise ships in Amsterdam.)  If you stay a couple nights prior to cruise you get an additional mini vacation in Amsterdam.   If you prefer London, then you could leave from Southampton, but that is a bit more hassle to get to the ship from London.    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CCJack said:

If you prefer London, then you could leave from Southampton, but that is a bit more hassle to get to the ship from London.    

Or leave from Dover - closer to London, and closer to Norway

JB 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 3:12 PM, kitkat343 said:

Kit Kat, this just happened to us on our upcoming Aug. 6th cruise on the NCL Prima.....2 ports cancelled, which added more sea days!!!  Calling NCL was worthless, I was just told they (NCL) are able to cancel ports if they want......

54 minutes ago, fishman620 said:

Kit Kat, this just happened to us on our upcoming Aug. 6th cruise on the NCL Prima.....2 ports cancelled, which added more sea days!!!  Calling NCL was worthless, I was just told they (NCL) are able to cancel ports if they want......

Yes, they told me tough, the cruise contract allows it. They even wanted to give me non-refundable (at least according to the rep I talked to) OBC for the excursion we bought for one of the cancelled ports (Zeebrugge for Brugge). Eventually, I did get them to credit it back to my card because their policy allowed that for cancelled excursions made early.

On 8/7/2023 at 11:09 AM, caripoo said:

We just did Silversea in July....We were in Olden, Flam, and Geiranger....these are not to be missed.

I will be on the Silver Dawn next June, and I'd love some advice on excursions.

What excursion did you do in Geiranger? I'm torn between 2 excursions (the included 1. "Panoramic Mt. Dalsnibba & Eagle Road" and the extra cost 2. "The Magnificent Geirangerfjord"). I'm wondering whether I will regret not doing the Eagle Road if I take the longer tour. Option 2 does not go to Eagle Road, but it does a longer drive to Djupvatn Lake, Stryn Road and the Hjelle valley. Both go to Mt Dalsnibba and the Flydal Gorge viewpoint.

What excursion did you take in Flåm? Here I am torn between 3 of the excursions. I think that I really want to do the Flåm railway, but even some of the other excursions sound interesting. The choices are 1. "The Iconic Flåm Railway" which just goes up and back with a stop for coffee tea and waffles, 2. "Næroyfjord Cruise & UNESCO Sognefjord" which includes a cruise from Flåm to Gudvagen up the Næroyfjord which we won't be sailing on the cruise, a drive to the Stegastein viewpoint returning to Flåm. I like this one, but it doesn't include the Flåm railway, which I have wanted to do since I started looking at a Norwegian cruise. The third choice is 3."Complete Sognefjord Experience" which takes the train to Myrdal, then connects to the Oslo-Bergen railway for a one hour ride to Voss, a drive to Tvindefossen waterfall and back to Flåm. Options 1 and 3 do the train, but not the Stegastein viewpoint or the Næroyfjord, 2 would give me a chance to see the Stegastein viewpoint and the Næroyfjord which we won't be sailing, and 3 gets more views from a different train. Any help you (or anyone else) has would be much appreciated.

Option 2 is currently scheduled to start at 8 and take 4.75 hours which would get me back (maybe) by 1. We don't leave until 6, so I should be able to take the train in the afternoon and fulfill that wish. Does anyone have any comments on that combination?

Edited by gnome12

@gnome12 I think we’re on the same cruise, sailing June 15th. In Flåm, we are booked now on the Flåm Railway tour, your option 1. But thinking about switching to your option 3. We like trains, so that’s our bias. 

We booked your option 1 in Geiranger. 

Certainly interested in others’ thoughts on Flåm. 

3 hours ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

@gnome12 I think we’re on the same cruise, sailing June 15th. In Flåm, we are booked now on the Flåm Railway tour, your option 1. But thinking about switching to your option 3. We like trains, so that’s our bias. 

We booked your option 1 in Geiranger. 

Certainly interested in others’ thoughts on Flåm. 

Yes, that is the cruise. Look forward to meeting you.

After a bit more research, I was trying to figure out whether it would be possible to do option 2 in the morning, and the Flåm railway on my own in the afternoon, but on the Silversea board it seems that departure times from ports are being advanced, which might mean that that option wouldn't work. I too like trains; I have taken them in lots of different places, so I think that I will stick to option 3.