Bar Menus-July 2023-Saturn

Clay Clayton

8 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Earlier this month on Orion, Explorer’s Lounge had both Buffalo Trace and Bulleit, so someone realized how pitiful the listed bourbons were. 👍🥃

Bulleit = so-so. But Buffalo Trace ----- now we're talking! Next up = Blanton's?

• Like 1

Unless the Saturn was resupplied after July 19, what they have onboard is Coke Zero. The Diet Coke afficianado in our household wouldn’t drink it. On our five other cruises with Viking they usually had Coke Light—which is the same as Diet Coke.

24 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Unless the Saturn was resupplied after July 19, what they have onboard is Coke Zero. The Diet Coke afficianado in our household wouldn’t drink it. On our five other cruises with Viking they usually had Coke Light—which is the same as Diet Coke.

Thanks Linda! Three sisters and I are on the Saturn on October, the beverage package was a promotion when we booked, but I am the only one who typically drinks alcohol/wine. One likes Diet Coke, one likes Coke Zero and the third sister drinks regular Coke. Someone will be out of luck for their beverage of choice but are looking forward to Success Cake. Oh the sacrifices!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AuntieWerewolf10 said:

Thanks Linda! Three sisters and I are on the Saturn on October, the beverage package was a promotion when we booked, but I am the only one who typically drinks alcohol/wine. One likes Diet Coke, one likes Coke Zero and the third sister drinks regular Coke. Someone will be out of luck for their beverage of choice but are looking forward to Success Cake. Oh the sacrifices!

"Diet" is being phased out by beverage companies because of marketing. The word has fallen out of favor with Millennials and Gen Zers and is being replaced by Zero. I guess the word fat shames them?

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Earlier this month on Orion, Explorer’s Lounge had both Buffalo Trace and Bulleit, so someone realized how pitiful the listed bourbons were. 👍🥃

Bourbon guy here.  Will be on Star in December.  Hopefully these will be fleetwide.  If not, will be happy with Wild Turkey.  Can't remember, but it may be Wild Turkey 101. 

Clay, can you check at the bar, if you have time? 

Thanks 

48 minutes ago, AuntieWerewolf10 said:

They do have “Original Coke.” When we got into Iceland, Reykjavik and nearby burghs had Coke Light, but in the West on the Snaefellsnes and the Westfjords, it was Coke Zero.

Thanks for posting this Clay. Interesting to see the correct prices - the sample menu on Viking’s website (at least in the U.K.) shows prices of 15-30% lower so, on that basis, we had decided not to buy the drinks package for our August cruise. Now debating whether we should reconsider. 

• Like 1

We are CokeZero drinkers so good with us, but I think I heard someone complaining over the lack of Diet Coke.  Mike has drunk a lot of the Peach Tree as he doesn't like the tea concentrate they use for the ice tea. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Geoffa30 said:

Thanks for posting this Clay. Interesting to see the correct prices - the sample menu on Viking’s website (at least in the U.K.) shows prices of 15-30% lower so, on that basis, we had decided not to buy the drinks package for our August cruise. Now debating whether we should reconsider. 

We usually have the SS package but on our last cruise decided against it. We found our bar bill was nowhere near the price of the SS package for the two of us!

8 minutes ago, downsmead said:

We usually have the SS package but on our last cruise decided against it. We found our bar bill was nowhere near the price of the SS package for the two of us!

That would be the hard way.

12 hours ago, downsmead said:

Thanks for the heads up. That’s what we originally thought but having seen the Torshavn menu Clay has posted, we wouldn’t need too many of the listed cocktails to exceed the £280 per person. Going to do some calculations before making the final decision.

3 hours ago, madmedic said:

Also trying to decide whether to get the SS package. Having never sailed with Viking would appreciate some opinions on the quality of the included wine with dinner. 

I guess it depends on whether you want acceptable or interesting wines at dinner. Having a choice is almost always a better option.

5 hours ago, Geoffa30 said:

Thanks for the heads up. That’s what we originally thought but having seen the Torshavn menu Clay has posted, we wouldn’t need too many of the listed cocktails to exceed the £280 per person. Going to do some calculations before making the final decision.

Not a SS pkg afficianato, but I think the $$ limit on covered cocktails is $18 now (up from $15). So the pkg is not going to cover the expensive Torshavn drinks anyway. 

We don’t drink a lot & DH is generally fine with the included wines. Our bar bill on Saturn just completed (July 5-19) was less than $150.

• Like 1

We don't drink expensive wine so I can't see us getting value from the package. I would like a martini pre dinner and then a glass of wine with dinner. If you don't like the included wine are you able to switch to another? 

Included wine is red or white. Some on CC have reported if they don’t like that day’s wine, they have asked for a previous included wine and have been able to get it with no charge. You can also just order off the wine menu a la  carte and pay $8 per glass with a generous pour & top up.

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

Not a SS pkg afficianato, but I think the $$ limit on covered cocktails is $18 now (up from $15). So the pkg is not going to cover the expensive Torshavn drinks anyway. 

We don’t drink a lot & DH is generally fine with the included wines. Our bar bill on Saturn just completed (July 5-19) was less than $150.

I think, looking at Torshavn’s menu, the SS pkg covers all but 2 of the ‘spirited cocktails’. Going for the most expensive gin, vodka, scotch etc. might take you over the $18 limit, depending what they charge for mixers - can’t remember from last year if mixer was included in cost of price on menu🤔

• Like 1