Added gratuities to Bonsai Teppanyaki

Cruisesfun65

Up until last month all specialty dining reservations included gratuities. 

Yesterday I went to book Bonsai Teppanyaki and gratuities were added. $38 per person became $44+.

I'm not complaining about $6 but about the fact that these charges are silently being added to more and more areas. Not informing the guests at all.

*Please Note:  A 18% gratuity will automatically be added. There will be a $25 fee per person for cancellations made within 24 hours of your scheduled reservation. 

This has been like this for a little while and the above note/statement is included under the details of the dinner you are choosing (the above was copied from the details of the Teppanyaki dinner description reservation page).  

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 5

Just now, Drazil65 said:

*Please Note:  A 18% gratuity will automatically be added. There will be a $25 fee per person for cancellations made within 24 hours of your scheduled reservation. 

This has been like this for a little while and the above note/statement is included under the details of the dinner you are choosing (the above was copied from the details of the Teppanyaki dinner description reservation page).  

I was on the Celebration 4 weeks ago and this was not the case. Hence my post. So this must be new.

40 minutes ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

Up until last month all specialty dining reservations included gratuities. 

Yesterday I went to book Bonsai Teppanyaki and gratuities were added. $38 per person became $44+.

I'm not complaining about $6 but about the fact that these charges are silently being added to more and more areas. Not informing the guests at all.

When I ate there in person, they added a mandatory 18%. Either way they charged me. 

The fish place in the aft also had mandatory 18% added. Lobster rolls. Twice. Lol

This was shortly after covid resumption. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

The biggest issue I have with this is when the bill comes after your meal in the restaurant, there will be a line for ‘additional gratuity’.  Why prompt for this when the gratuity has been paid ahead of time in good faith?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, coffeeboy77 said:

The biggest issue I have with this is when the bill comes after your meal in the restaurant, there will be a line for ‘additional gratuity’.  Why prompt for this when the gratuity has been paid ahead of time in good faith?

hmmmmm, maybe you thought the service exceed the 18% would be my guess.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, coffeeboy77 said:

At least it says " additional gratuity ".  On the Spirit for bar receipts the 18 percent gratuity is deceptively called a service charge and there is a line that says gratuity "optional" which could lead quite a few people to think they have not tipped. 

Edited by n6uqqq

I'm always amazed that people that pay thousands of dollars for a cruise or any kind of a trip, and then worry about a few bucks for gratuities...not just this post, but there are hundreds of posts on social media about the tips.

Edited by NHNEV2003
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, NHNEV2003 said:

I'm always amazed that people that pay thousands of dollars for a cruise or any kind of a trip, and then worry about a few bucks for gratuities...not just this post, but there are hundreds of posts on social media about the tips.

Right, people write the big check to the "Beards" who you never see and balk at $3 to the crew members who call you by name. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n6uqqq said:

At least it says " additional gratuity ".  On the Spirit for bar receipts the 18 percent gratuity is deceptively called a service charge and there is a line that says gratuity "optional" which could lead quite a few people to think they have not tipped. 

I am not sure I would call it deceptive, but it is what it is.  We usually use dead presidents at times with bar or wait staff.  Seems to be the best, they get the cash, they are the ones doing the work and get the reward for good performance.  

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

I am not sure I would call it deceptive, but it is what it is.  We usually use dead presidents at times with bar or wait staff.  Seems to be the best, they get the cash, they are the ones doing the work and get the reward for good performance.  

As a seasoned cruiser I am aware that the service charge is a gratuity. However, the many blue cards may not know. I much prefer when it shows it as a gratuity and then additional gratuity (optional). I personally feel 18 percent is quite adequate, but if others want to knowingly give more, then that is fine also but they should know exactly what the situation is. 

• Like 3

To me this slip is generic to fit all occasions. For instance I had one of those free drinks from loyalty but the screw driver costs like $1.36 over what I was allowed. Then they added 18% to the 1.36. 

In a case like this I'd add a extra tip. So there could be times when you woukd want to add extra. The slip to sign has to fit all occasions. 

(Though I was a bit annoyed to be charged anything for a free drink). Lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

To me this slip is generic to fit all occasions. For instance I had one of those free drinks from loyalty but the screw driver costs like $1.36 over what I was allowed. Then they added 18% to the 1.36. 

In a case like this I'd add a extra tip. So there could be times when you woukd want to add extra. The slip to sign has to fit all occasions. 

(Though I was a bit annoyed to be charged anything for a free drink). Lol. 

I had the same happen when i chose Long island as my "free" drink so I added more to make it reasonable. Seems the free drink credit isn't keeping up with their price increases. The additional gratuity line works good in this situation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

As a seasoned cruiser I am aware that the service charge is a gratuity. However, the many blue cards may not know. I much prefer when it shows it as a gratuity and then additional gratuity (optional). I personally feel 18 percent is quite adequate, but if others want to knowingly give more, then that is fine also but they should know exactly what the situation is. 

Options are always a good thing