Balcony Questions

On 7/30/2023 at 5:37 PM, BirdTravels said:

1. I've read online about putting up a hammock.  Any advice on this (pro or con)?  Are the balcony supports strong enough to hang it?

Don't do it. I am goin g to assume that you don't have a hammock in your bed room at home, so don't waste your time on a ship. 

2. Are the curtains dark enough to not wake me at the crack of dawn?  Remember ...  We are used to inside staterooms?  Or should we just embrace the balcony sunrise and leave the curtains open all night!  What do you do?

Curtains are black out curtains. Less light that at home. 

3. Are headphones suggested or can we play music at a reasonable volume?

No music at all on the balcony. Use your earbuds if you need to. 

Any other advice for a balcony newbie?

The vast majority of people who get balconies spend very very very little time on them. Maybe a few minutes at sail away. Maybe a few minutes arriving/departing ports. You are likely not going to spend any more time in your balcony room than you did with your 10 previous inside rooms. 

WOW!!! 
What does a hammock on the balcony have anything to do with your bedroom?? I don't think my furbabies would be happy with a hammock in my bedroom!
I used to have hammocks in my backyard and have considered getting one for cruising. 

I spend more time on my balcony than I do in the room. I pay for a balcony because I enjoy the balcony!! I don't know anyone that doesn't spend time on their balcony... except now I can say I know of one person who wouldn't spend the time enjoying a balcony. 

To the OP As others said they are blackout curtains... WAY too dark for my taste but that is my personal opinion... I leave the curtains open all cruise. 

They won't make you take down the hammock unless they are power washing. 

Please use headphones... other cabins around you might like the same music, but they might be napping and don't want to hear it. 

Advice DO NOT SIT ON THE RAILING! Especially to take a selfie. 

Edited by LilBlackDress

8 hours ago, MD_Dan said:

OK, I need to ask a followup question.  It looks like the standard oceanview balcony has a chair.  Do other rooms come with a lounger on the balcony?  If I had a lounger, I wouldn't be considering a hammock!

I am usually in a junior suite

9 hours ago, MD_Dan said:

OK, I need to ask a followup question.  It looks like the standard oceanview balcony has a chair.  Do other rooms come with a lounger on the balcony?  If I had a lounger, I wouldn't be considering a hammock!

I'm not sure about Odessey and Allure, I've never been on those ships. But... Radiance class, Voyager class, and Freedom class have HUGE balconies on the back of the ship. We've stayed in many of them and there is usually enough room for two chairs, two loungers and two tables. These are regular balcony cabins, not suites.

On 7/30/2023 at 12:02 PM, VegasVic14 said:

And, I assume, you have the steward remove the balcony furniture... or is it easier to just toss it all overboard?

I literally lol'd at this one. For more than a few seconds.

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I'm not sure about Odessey and Allure, I've never been on those ships. But... Radiance class, Voyager class, and Freedom class have HUGE balconies on the back of the ship. We've stayed in many of them and there is usually enough room for two chairs, two loungers and two tables. These are regular balcony cabins, not suites.

Standard OV balcony cabins on the sides of O and Q class do not have room for a lounger. Odyssey at least has chairs with adjustable backs and a foot rest. Allure has horrible non adjustable chairs with backs that maybe go to your mid back. No head rest and impossible to take a nap. RCI needs to change them out. The chairs suck.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 10:26 AM, MD_Dan said:

1. I've read online about putting up a hammock.  Any advice on this (pro or con)?  Are the balcony supports strong enough to hang it?

If you're going to purchase a hammock, I suggest an ENO -- Eagles Nest Outfitters.  They're super popular for a reason and are easy to hang pretty much anywhere.  Go with a single model /not a double for a cruise.  

- The best of the best, cream of the crop balconies are aft-facing.  They're larger than a standard -balcony; take a look at a deck plan and see.  Hump balconies (midship) are also great.  The extra size is great.  

- Understand that at some times of the day, depending upon the direction the ship is facing, the sun may make your balcony too hot for comfort.  You can do nothing about this. 

- Bring a battery-powered candle.  Sitting outside after dark with a "candle" is so pleasant. 

- A balcony is practical for a family sharing one cabin.  It's the cheapest way to get "another room" and is a very practical spot for Dad to disappear while his daughters dress for dinner.  

- If you anticipate leaving your towels /swimsuits out on the balcony to dry, bring hooks or clips of some sort ... you don't want anything to blow away.  

- A balcony is wonderful, but it's not a necessity.  

On 7/30/2023 at 3:51 PM, steveru621 said:

I don't want to hear your music.

Totally agree.  We took a poll (not really) ... it was unanimous (well, it would've been). 

No one wants to pay for a private balcony then hear someone else's music.  

On 7/30/2023 at 6:37 PM, BirdTravels said:

The vast majority of people who get balconies spend very very very little time on them. Maybe a few minutes at sail away. Maybe a few minutes arriving/departing ports. You are likely not going to spend any more time in your balcony room than you did with your 10 previous inside rooms. 

Source?  Don't say personal experience.  

On 7/31/2023 at 8:18 AM, PATRLR said:

Is this video showing a standard-sized balcony?  Should we expect a similar size balcony on our coming Oasis trip?  This looks quite a bit larger than a typical NCL balcony, my most recent point of reference.  ("quite a bit larger" meaning maybe 18-24" deeper.  With balconies as small as they are 2' is a lot)

I'm guessing, of course, but I suspect this is a hump balcony -- again, look at the deck plans, and you'll see what this means.  The price difference between a standard balcony and a hump balcony is rather small.  We have one booked for one of our fall cruises, and I want to say it was about $100 (total, not per person) more.  

13 hours ago, MD_Dan said:

Agree that if I had a lounger, I wouldn't bother with a hammock.  

If you don't have what you want (lounger, table), ask your cabin steward to provide one.  Definitely tip him, as this is a large item /some trouble for him. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 8:18 AM, PATRLR said:

Is this video showing a standard-sized balcony?  Should we expect a similar size balcony on our coming Oasis trip?  This looks quite a bit larger than a typical NCL balcony, my most recent point of reference.  ("quite a bit larger" meaning maybe 18-24" deeper.  With balconies as small as they are 2' is a lot)

That video is two balconies, not one, with the door opened between them.

On 7/30/2023 at 10:37 AM, VegasVic14 said:

How and where do you attach each end?

DH use the supports and a carabiner.  Never been asked to take it down.  I will say on Allure the balcony is pretty small.  He usually only take it if we have a large balcony or an extended balcony on other ships.  

I like it dark to sleep so I bring clips to hold the curtains closed in the middle. Otherwise I wake up too early and can’t go back to sleep.  Magnets will work on the side to hold them to the wall too. 

We will always get a balcony or higher if the price is right.  On longer cruises now we often go back to an oceanview just to save money. Even if you’re not on your balcony a lot the floor to ceiling view is wonderful. I have to have some daylight.  An inside is not for us. 

Have fun and enjoy it!  

On 7/30/2023 at 11:00 AM, 1025cruise said:

There will be a little bit of sun seep, but not blaring.

OP if you’re like hubby who can only sleep in what I call vampire conditions, there’s a hack for this. Take one of the pants hangers from the closet and clip the curtains closed. Works like a charm. 

4 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

- The best of the best, cream of the crop balconies are aft-facing.  They're larger than a standard -balcony; take a look at a deck plan and see.  Hump balconies (midship) are also great.  The extra size is great.  

I was going to talk about the Aft-Facing Balcony as well but they have a balcony on Allure. Unless they really splurge, that is not possible 

On 7/30/2023 at 6:37 PM, BirdTravels said:

Don't do it. I am goin g to assume that you don't have a hammock in your bed room at home, so don't waste your time on a ship. 

2. Are the curtains dark enough to not wake me at the crack of dawn?  Remember ...  We are used to inside staterooms?  Or should we just embrace the balcony sunrise and leave the curtains open all night!  What do you do?

Curtains are black out curtains. Less light that at home. 

No music at all on the balcony. Use your earbuds if you need to. 

IMG_1401.gif

• Haha 2

After ten RCL cruises in inside staterooms (one with a virtual balcony), we've booked a balcony on Allure in November.  We're looking forward to breakfast on the balcony; sunrise/sunsets; and some quiet times there.  But I had a few questions ...

Thanks!!

Being that this is your first balcony, and it is an Oasis class ship - did you book a specific balcony that is OCEAN VIEW or did you book a "we pick the room" balcony?   If it is the latter, your "balcony sunrise" may be an amusement park carousel on the boardwalk!

1 hour ago, BobNoxious said:

Being that this is your first balcony, and it is an Oasis class ship - did you book a specific balcony that is OCEAN VIEW or did you book a "we pick the room" balcony?   If it is the latter, your "balcony sunrise" may be an amusement park carousel on the boardwalk!

We're wise enough not to fall for that trick!  This will be our fourth cruise on Oasis Class ships.  Our TA worked the same ocean-view balcony for each the 3-night and 4-night Allure cruise.

Please don't hold back on info (on aft balconies).  It is all being filed away in my brain for future cruises!

And did I mention this cruise gets us to diamond?  So what is the discount for future (balcony) cruises?

I really appreciate all the info and viewpoints here on cruisecritic!  I'm just a little floored by the response, "How can I not help?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MD_Dan said:

I really appreciate all the info and viewpoints here on cruisecritic!  I'm just a little floored by the response, "How can I not help?"

To be fair, I think the "How can I not help?" GIF was in reference to the post that vjmatty quoted ... I took it as a reflection on how "helpful" (or not) those comments were. 😉 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

To be fair, I think the "How can I not help?" GIF was in reference to the post that vjmatty quoted ... I took it as a reflection on how "helpful" (or not) those comments were. 😉 

I didn't take BirdTravel's post as negative,  So I'm glad you corrected me!  I see the reference now.  Sorry vjmatty!!

• Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 9:59 AM, NoShoes2 said:

Agreed. When we've been away for our cabin I go straight to the balcony when we return. The balcony is one of my favs as well. 

Ours too. We use it quite often. First place we go in the morning. Sit out there a few hours in the afternoon and again at night. When getting ready for the evening I'll get ready first and the sit out on the balcony while DH gets ready. We love to sit and just watch the ocean and the waves.

Then again at home we are on our back deck quiet often too although the view is not the same.

• Like 1