As I age there is the chance I could die on a cruise, can you be buried at sea.

1 hour ago, mammajamma2013 said:

I'm looking at natural burial, my family has assured me they'll do it. Wrap me in a shroud and stick me in the dirt. I don't care if the plot is mine forever, just long enough to allow me to dissolve. NM has a natural burial ground in the northern part of the state.

SO off topic!!

I also know of someone in WI associated with a place that does that. Apparently a nice wooded area. Think I’ll stick with cremation. 

46 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

so, people can,on request, have their ashes scattered at sea on a cruise.

Obviously one wouldn't  have to actually die on the cruise for that to be done though

Yep. That's exactly what I have asked my family to do with my ashes after I pass on to that great cruise in the sky. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Just remembered another detail.

On completion of the stitching the PO was provided a bottle of Pussers Rum. After completing the stitching the PO invited me to their Mess for a sample. OMG, harsh was an understatement.😁

Better quality than the hooch that was marketed as rum that BP supplied after we had been tank diving ....horrendous job 😵‍💫

4 Bells is a name that springs to mind. Should be Bum not Rum!

• Haha 1

On 7/30/2023 at 6:00 PM, chengkp75 said:

And, traditionally, the "last stitch" was sown through the septum of the deceased's nose so the possible pain of this stitch would determine whether the person was truly deceased or not.

Well, that's a kindness. 

On 7/30/2023 at 9:29 PM, navybankerteacher said:

And wasn’t a coin placed in the mouth - to pay the ferryman to get the deceased a crossed the river Styx?

You're referring to Charon's Obal (I taught an elective in Mythology not long ago).  In Ancient Greek culture, Charon was the ferryman who carried souls across the river Styx, and the coin (on the eyes or in the mouth) was his payment.  Souls who died without payment would have to wander, which was bad for them and dangerous for the living.  But I don't think this is anything that's been done in living memory.  

Other cultures -- Vikings and Native American peoples come to mind -- buried their loved ones with "grave goods" that they might need in the next life:  weapons, household goods, gold or jewels, etc.  This isn't unheard of today; I think we've all seen people buried with a Bible or rosary in their hands.  Or a child with a doll.  A dear friend of mine died shortly after her own mother; she was buried with a tiny glass container of her mother's ashes in her hands.  One of my students lost his beloved dog, whom he'd had literally all his life; his family had the dog cremated, and he said he intends to keep those ashes all his life and one day -- hopefully very far in the future -- the dog's ashes will be tucked into his own coffin.  

Some idiot would say "he died doing what he loved" (cruising) I would be right there saying, I'm pretty sure he didn't love clutching his chest in massive pain and facepalming onto the Lido deck. 

Edited by Davechipp74

On 7/31/2023 at 5:40 AM, chengkp75 said:

As far as I know, all the cruise lines will allow a dispersal of cremains at sea.

On 7/31/2023 at 4:14 PM, Host Kat said:

Per Carnival's FAQ: BURIAL AT SEA - SCATTERING OF ASHES

Thanks @Heidi13 and @chengkp75 for the education. 

Thanks @Host Kat for the Carnival link. No doubt other lines will do similar. I will be doing this for my parents (both Navy vets) and my brother on an upcoming HAL cruise.

There is a CC thread discussing the HAL process. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't want much. Just hoping that once I've died and been cremated, my family will be able to convince the antiquities authority in Rome to open up the mausoleum of Augustus and place my ashes inside, along with those of the Emperor and several generations of his family. 

Should be a cakewalk, right? 😂

• Haha 4

23 hours ago, Davechipp74 said:

Some idiot would say "he died doing what he loved" (cruising) I would be right there saying, I'm pretty sure he didn't love clutching his chest in massive pain and facepalming onto the Lido deck. 

Better than spending your last moments in the dentist chair.  

• Haha 1

I remember making a post about my parents burial at sea and boy I got flamebroiled like a Whopper at Burger King.

But nothing well ever take away from the magnificance of doing this properly,  with a seasoned Captain who understands the process, especially for Coast Guard and Navy veterans and their families.

But what I forgot to add way back then that if you do choose a burial at sea (like me ) then ask that your survivors do on the Equinox or the Solstice,  (we chose Dec .21) off of the coast of Oceanside in a spot where the Captain knew exactly how the currents would behave.

Crusty sailors know that the atmospheric conditions of the earth and the ocean  act differently on these days,  and especially at twelve noon.  

So the ashes and dust of my parents played and danced with us lingering for minutes on the surface of the sea, not descending, as though they were waving goodbye to all us like we were leaving on a cruise and taking their sweet time.

For you, the reader, when it comes to your burial at sea, remember   "HAVE IT YOUR WAY"

I glad to see that we can discuss these topics now on CC without degradation of the thread.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JRG said:

Crusty sailors know that the atmospheric conditions of the earth and the ocean  act differently on these days,  and especially at twelve noon.  

Those crusty sailors also fear the Kraaken, along with adhering to certain other seagoing traditions.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Those crusty sailors also fear the Kraaken, along with adhering to certain other seagoing traditions.

Watch the Netflix series "Boundless".  (spanish with subtitlels)  and some great shots of Lisbon and recreations of Seville.

It is the best production of  16th Century ancient sailing that I have ever seen.

It is about the Voyage of Ferdinand Magellan and the circumnavigation of the globe.