Are Celebrity cost cutting and penny pinching there faithful customers off the ship?

chromered7

2 hours ago, numnums said:

This I can wholeheartedly agree with. Were you able to find any cakes or desserts you like? I always fall for the presentation but the flavor is so no nonexistent to me, though I do understand it may be a cultural thing… where they’re not as sweet, or very subtle?

We find the cakes to be very dry. Some desserts are hit and miss. Anything that’s mass produced in the galley is going to have limitations, my expectations were never high to begin with but yeah I very rarely go for any of the cakes. 

Unfortunately, it is reaching that point for us. We are so close to Zenith but now don't care if we make it or not. Another thread had a sample menu for Murano's that eliminated the Dover Sole and lobster. While we don't care about the lobster, I have the recipe and make it with cold water lobster, we always looked forward to the Dover Sole. The rumors about further cuts to the Retreat are also concerning. We are cruising on Equinox on September 2 and that cruise will be a deciding factor as to whether or not we make final payment for the Beyond cruise next March.

12 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Unfortunately, it is reaching that point for us. We are so close to Zenith but now don't care if we make it or not. Another thread had a sample menu for Murano's that eliminated the Dover Sole and lobster. While we don't care about the lobster, I have the recipe and make it with cold water lobster, we always looked forward to the Dover Sole. 

WHAT?!?!?!?

I finally have come to appreciate fish (well, at least mild white fish) and Dover Sole (especially that in Murano)  is a major reason for that. 

We have a 17 day HON-SYD cruise coming up in a verandah, and have purchased a specialty dining package for it. I may have to reconsider. 

I suppose living in the First World dramatically increases the odds of having First World Problems. 

On 8/2/2023 at 8:30 AM, gardengalaz said:

We're Elite on Celebrity but definitely not as enthusiastic about them as were were pre-Covid ... the product and value proposition have changed a bit too much to hold our loyalty.  So, earlier today, we booked our next cruise with Princess, with whom we've sailed many times, but switched to Celebrity for reasons that I can't remember.  Anyhoo -- with the deal Princess is offering on their Premiere package, the value can't be ignored. 

I'm sure Princess isn't going to be the cruise line we remember it being either ... but I think the good 'ole days of cruising have sailed long ago.

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 11.31.53 AM.png

We have done the same and booked with Princess for March next year.

As Elite Plus we have been loyal to X alway in Aqua or above, but after sailing with them in February we noticed little differences in menu and wine options in the dining rooms ect.

The CC benefits are not really enticing to us.

Sadly, when we compared prices in Australian $, we have decided to return to Princess and give them another go.

On 8/13/2023 at 11:47 PM, calicakes said:

I am a baker( attended culinary school) so no, I didn't find anything I like.  My "dessert" of choice is a scoop of vanilla ice cream and coke zero( float)  I might have a bite of bread pudding.  The cakes are overly gelatinized.  No taste.  

Although I’m not a baker, I know what is tasty and I agree 100%.  Celebrity’s cakes are tasteless and I never even consider having them for dessert.  A small scoop of vanilla ice cream is really the best choice for me.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Although I’m not a baker, I know what is tasty and I agree 100%.  Celebrity’s cakes are tasteless and I never even consider having them for dessert.  A small scoop of vanilla ice cream is really the best choice for me.

Tell me they  didn't replace the large scooper with a small one as part of their cost cutting spree.

Edited by weregoingcruising
correction
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, weregoingcruising said:

Tell me they  didn't replace the large scooper with a small one as part of their cost cutting spree.

Don't worry about the size of the scooper.

You can ask for as many scoops as you want.

Well at least for now?

We were on an Oceiana ship last month and their Ice Cream was Outstanding (but the names of the flavors were nonsensical) But O's cookies were terrible, so I'll be glad to get back to Celebrities Cookies and Ice Cream.............😎

1 hour ago, D. B. said:

We were on an Oceiana ship last month and their Ice Cream was Outstanding (but the names of the flavors were nonsensical)

We'll be on O next month.  They serve Humphrey Slocumb ice creams.  They are chef curated ice creams for adults.

https://humphryslocombe.com/

• Like 1

Now that I think about it, does anyone actually enjoy celebrity's, or any cruise cake-like dessert for that matter? I always see it usually full to the brim, they oughta just remove it and replace it with something else. I can recall even when I was little the cakes taste practically the same as before, so tasteless.

1 hour ago, numnums said:

Now that I think about it, does anyone actually enjoy celebrity's, or any cruise cake-like dessert for that matter? I always see it usually full to the brim, they oughta just remove it and replace it with something else. I can recall even when I was little the cakes taste practically the same as before, so tasteless.

lol no I can't imagine most people like them, but my mum was a baker so I'm picky on desserts

On 8/13/2023 at 8:24 PM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

How about Go Ask Alice? That got some attention.

oh yes..forgot that one.  Have not seen any ads in TV lately .

Wonder  what the next theme will be?  Maybe  Modern Luxury = bringing your own butler"!

3 hours ago, numnums said:

I was surprised when I got that banana split in Luminae.  There’s a good buffet place 45 minutes from my house in North Carolina.  They only have cakes and ice cream.  No pies.  That’s their only flaw.  No one likes cake.  😂

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 8:20 PM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Unfortunately, it is reaching that point for us. We are so close to Zenith but now don't care if we make it or not. Another thread had a sample menu for Murano's that eliminated the Dover Sole and lobster. While we don't care about the lobster, I have the recipe and make it with cold water lobster, we always looked forward to the Dover Sole. The rumors about further cuts to the Retreat are also concerning. We are cruising on Equinox on September 2 and that cruise will be a deciding factor as to whether or not we make final payment for the Beyond cruise next March.

The Dover Sole dinner in the Murano restaurant is one of my spouse highlights in cruising with Celebrity. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 5:47 PM, calicakes said:

I am a baker( attended culinary school) so no, I didn't find anything I like.  My "dessert" of choice is a scoop of vanilla ice cream and coke zero( float)  I might have a bite of bread pudding.  The cakes are overly gelatinized.  No taste.  

I completely agree, I also attended culinary school, and now bake and cook for fun  Celebrity deserts in general are just terrible.  Well that might be over emphasizing, they definitely are not something I would bother trying again.   For others they might like them but I am fine the couple days the pistachio ice cream is around.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, numnums said:

The gluten free cakes that I had on the Edge this year were not bad at all, but will admit some were better than others. My issue is that I just really like buttercream frosting, and if a little heavy on the sugar all the better. So most cakes for me that use the other odd tasting frostings are a challenge for me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, D. B. said:

But they have the worst Cookies I ever ate on a cruise ship.

I'll be enjoying Celebrities Cookies 4 more times this year...🤩

Did you post about this on the O board?  If so, I remember and I totally agree.  Although, I think X's cookies are terrible too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bikerunner said:

I completely agree, I also attended culinary school, and now bake and cook for fun  Celebrity deserts in general are just terrible.  Well that might be over emphasizing, they definitely are not something I would bother trying again.   For others they might like them but I am fine the couple days the pistachio ice cream is around.  

No, terrible is an accurate word not overemphasizing. It is one reason we have stuck with Celebrity - the desserts are so bad I don’t gain weight on Celebrity cruises. 🤪 

Edited by xamsx
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, xamsx said:

No, terrible is an accurate word not overemphasizing. It is one reason we have stuck with Celebrity - the desserts are so bad I don’t gain weight on Celebrity cruises. 🤪 

That definitely is one bonus overall, I tend to lose weight on cruises as I never take the elevator either.  

2 hours ago, calicakes said:

Did you post about this on the O board?  If so, I remember and I totally agree.  Although, I think X's cookies are terrible too. 

We did a lot of reading on the O board before our first O cruise and there is a LOT of discussion there about O's cookies.

I tried to be fair when tasting them and came away with the impression that I'm not the only one that is unimpressed!

Food taste is a personal thing but I 💗 Celebrities Cookies. Especially the ones with White Chocolate and/or Macadamia nuts. Oatmeal Rasin comes in real close.

We will be onboard Summit in 3 days and I look forward to getting back on a Celebrity ship.

Happy Cruising to everyone on Any line you prefer.☺️