Don't assume...read the information

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Did you not intend to insure the 4th person? That would have been an additional charge you should have looked for?

Looking back at your other threads on this same topic, you knew you had all been exposed to covid shortly before the sail date and yet you state you would have gone if you didn’t get reimbursed. And then you claim trying to be a decent person. Contradictory.

FWIW most of us would likely have chosen the same. Covid should not even be a consideration anymore to to many it is.

I was charged when I added her and paid it on the spot. I noted that. I assumed it'd be less than the first two passengers and it was. What are you assuming was my missed red flag?

I challenge anyone to say they'd not go if they knew all funds would be lost. I still say we were trying to be decent about it all when we were considering everything to avoid dh going during his quarantine period.   In the end, my call to cancel it was to avoid him going.  If you think I'm a bad person for considering him going when I thought we'd be out more than $7,000....that sounds more like a you issue than a me issue.  If we didn't care at all there never would have been a "what if". 

Edited by sadiwest
Spelling
  • Like 2

It's yet another good reason for people to not cheap out and avoid buying insurance. To know your sick, have insurance, and still go someplace I just don't think is cool. Also, who wants to go when you feel like crap. Get the insurance $$$ and do over. But based on this situation, another reason to buy your travel insurance on your own. Royal "mistakes" are constant.

4 hours ago, sadiwest said:

At some point I realized that I wasn't sure the cabin we had would accommodate 4.  We hadn't invited friend yet.  

After a second call and pleading my case, the agent made me feel he was doing me a favor by talking his boss into it.   I was eternally grateful.   I paid $800 on the spot to add #4 and went on my way.

The whole thing just su**s but learn from my mistakes...read everything.   Be aware...because they may not disclose or discuss. 

7 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

I was charged when I added her and paid it on the spot. I noted that. I assumed it'd be less than the first two passengers and it was. What are you assuming was my missed red flag?

I challenge anyone to say they'd not go if they knew all funds would be lost. I still say we were trying to be decent about it all when we were considering everything to avoid dh going during his quarantine period.   In the end, my call to cancel it was to avoid him going.  If you think I'm a bad person for considering him going when I thought we'd be out more than $7,000....that sounds more like a you issue than a me issue.  If we didn't care at all there never would have been a "what if". 

You paid her fare when you added her but did not address insurance? That is a separate item. In all fairness, many probably would have missed that.

You’re not a bad person. As I said, many would have done the same. 

14 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

Challenge accepted, we would have stayed home.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Babr said:

Depending on which policy one chooses, annual insurance offers little to no cancellation coverage. It does not work for everyone.

One should choose the policy that has what they want/need, like we did.  But, in the OP's case they had NO insurance and didn't check it on the invoice.  Allianz has great coverage and yes, you pay for it, but since we cruise 4-5 times per year it's cheaper (with better coverage) than what Royal offers.  We used Royal's for my broken ankle 4 years ago and got every penny back.  We also would have with Allianz.

Edited by BND

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So make 100% sure you have test results from a certified lab that the cruise line will accept. Your agent may/may not k ow exactly what is acceptable for a refund versus a forfeit cancellation. 

They accept a photo of a home test.  No need to hunt down a lab

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Challenge accepted, we would have stayed home.  

I applaud you if you'd stay home even if not getting your money back.   If you said that just to answer the challenge...😒

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They accept a photo of a home test.  No need to hunt down a lab

That I didn't know but dh was going for an official lab test since we were truly hoping the expired home tests were wrong. Unfortunately wasn't the case. 

13 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

You paid her fare when you added her but did not address insurance? That is a separate item. In all fairness, many probably would have missed that.

You’re not a bad person. As I said, many would have done the same. 

I didn't address it because was assuming that the only change was cabin # and added passenger.    Again we had the insurance when it was 3 of us.   We have cruised a bit but not nearly enough to think to check for such a change.   From the start I said I'd wrongly assumed...    and won't ever again. 

7 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

I applaud you if you'd stay home even if not getting your money back.   If you said that just to answer the challenge...😒

I have had covid on a cruise ship before and wouldn't want to be quarantined with it again.  If one of us was sick, we would stay home.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BND said:

One should choose the policy that has what they want/need, like we did.  But, in the OP's case they had NO insurance and didn't check it on the invoice.  Allianz has great coverage and yes, you pay for it, but since we cruise 4-5 times per year it's cheaper (with better coverage) than what Royal offers.  We used Royal's for my broken ankle 4 years ago and got every penny back.  We also would have with Allianz.

Last year we had to cancel a DCL cruise we'd postponed 5 times prior because I got covid.  We had travel insurance through USAA not DCL.   6 days before flying to Florida I got covid and back then, everything was still Covid panic mode.  DCL refunded me despite not having their insurance, but we used the USAA policy to recoup items we couldn't get refunded.

I.bring it up to say I always have insurance because you never know...  which coverage it is doesnt matter to me...but ease in process does.  Fortunately I don't have enough experience yet to know which one has the easiest claim process.  

6 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

I didn't address it because was assuming that the only change was cabin # and added passenger.    Again we had the insurance when it was 3 of us.   We have cruised a bit but not nearly enough to think to check for such a change.   From the start I said I'd wrongly assumed...    and won't ever again. 

With all the issues you had with this booking, I truly believe you weren’t supposed to be on that cruise. I think you or someone you were traveling with were saved from something that may have happened on that trip. That’s just the way I see things. I really hope you get all your money back! 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BND said:

I just meant to clarify for others who may not know how annual insurance works, especially since cancellation was the issue here. Allianz offers several options with a maximum of $15,000 per policy / year. Some may not find that to be enough since one claim could deplete the entire amount.

Just any travel insurance not attached to your reservation that you can manage individually is a step up. It's clear changing the booking got the insurance messed up by a 3rd rate Royal Caribbean "Customer Service" rep. The same folks who said husband could get on in Florida and off in NJ. They only know the very very few things they are taught. And that ain't much. You were well within your right to assume you still had insurance on at least the original 3 pax.

Edited by RyderJ201
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

I always ask for a new invoice to be sent out if I call for anything and always look at it, line by line, before I let them off the phone.  I also right down the date, time and name of who I spoke to, along with why I called in the first place, better safe than sorry.  Hope your DH is doing better. 🙂 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

With all the issues you had with this booking, I truly believe you weren’t supposed to be on that cruise. I think you or someone you were traveling with were saved from something that may have happened on that trip. That’s just the way I see things. I really hope you get all your money back! 

Same thing my stepmother said.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sadiwest said:

I wonder if the problem was that the fourth person was not a family member. It would be a problem with third-party insurance. Does Royal allow you to insure someone else’s child as a member of your traveling party?

35 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It can happen when you add or remove a passenger. Nothing more than a flaw in their booking system.  I encounter this often.  

Out if everything this is the biggest takeaway.    Had we not had a reason worthy of a refund, it would have been a huge issue.  

1 hour ago, Babr said:

I just meant to clarify for others who may not know how annual insurance works, especially since cancellation was the issue here. Allianz offers several options with a maximum of $15,000 per policy / year. Some may not find that to be enough since one claim could deplete the entire amount.

The annual policies I have looked at would only reimburse one trip cancellation

• Like 1

Sometimes those people that answer the phones aren't the brightest.   

I remember once changing the date on my flight from Dallas, TX to Manchester, England.   The AA agent changed my flight to Manchester ... I forget, somewhere in New England.  
I never noticed, and fortunately I had to change the date again and I also said "England" in the second change.  So, that agent noticed the city change.  

You do think when you say, "I just want to change this one aspect" that the others will stay the same.  

OK. Maybe not the most PC thing or whatever but...It helps when the customer service agents are in the same part of the world as you and speak the same language.

Also, I use to work for a company in the travel business. When you have staff that take calls in this county you encourage "fam" trips at discounted rates for your employees. They get a trip at a really good price and learn first hand how the product works. This really help cust serv reps and customers speak the same language. Trip, add ons, insurance, etc. They get it. They live it. Things get lost in translation when the reps don't really live in the same world. There just is a lack of "ah, I get what your saying, looking for, concerned about, try to change, etc. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Babr said:

Depending on which policy one chooses, annual insurance offers little to no cancellation coverage. It does not work for everyone.

Obviously, like any insurance, annual or single, cancellation has to be for a covered reason. Not really understanding what you are saying.