Still not convinced about cruising…

Cruiscs

Just completed our first cruise on Celebrity. July 29 on Edge from Rome to Barcelona. Last year we went on RCL Wonder of the Seas. Had a great time time then but wanted to try Celebrity as it is supposed to be more upscale, quiet and relaxing than Royal. In short: we didnt get that impression… 

The ship is stunning, the food and service was better than Royal. But we missed the upscale premium atmosphere - there were loads of kids and teens on this cruise running around and screaming all the time. There was almost impossible to find a quiet place onboard. The solarium was badly located as people used is a walkway to the pooldeck. Did not have that problem on Wonder were it is located in the front. And adding the port intensive itinerary with masses of people everywhere we felt that we needed a vacation when the cruise was over. 
I know people will say that we choose the wrong dates as it was summer brake but we have been to many all-inclusive resorts in the summer months and never experienced so many kids before. 
So if we spend more money on cruises in the future - any advice when and where is the best time to cruise to experience true relaxation? In the Caribbean? Which time of the year?

Thanks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cruiscs said:

So if we spend more money on cruises in the future - any advice when and where is the best time to cruise to experience true relaxation? In the Caribbean? Which time of the year?

The Caribbean is about the worst possible choice for relaxation. The most relaxing cruises in our experience are transoceanic cruises. I would also avoid summer travel.

• Like 9

Another thing are those silly poolgames. One day we just wanted to relax by the pool instead of going ashore and in about the minute we layed down they started pool games aimed for kids with constant announcments over the microphone. And when that was over they started playing loud techno music. Had to use earplugs after a while… 

Edited by Cruiscs
  • Like 3

The challenge is that you traveled during family holiday time in Europe.  We sailed 12 night Iceland/Ireland on the Apex last August and it was lovely.  The next week (B2B ) was 7 night out of Amsterdam and it was totally different.  Lots of kids, noisy dining room with kids allowed to run around tables, teen packs roaming and  resting a different atmosphere.  We will not sail less than 10 days in Europe again.  Consider traveling at a different time or length cruise to get the Celebrity feel.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You already know this, but you chose a 7 day cruise, during summer, in the Med, during probably one of the busiest family travel weeks of the year. Longer cruises that are outside of summer/school holidays are where you need to look. Any port in Europe that big ships visit are going to be inundated with tourists. 

• Like 7

We try to avoid cruising during school vacations, there may still be a few kids , but not as many .

You may also wish to try another cruise line such as Holland America or Virgin Cruises ( no one under 18 allowed. ) Viking also is adults only. It’s a matter of finding out what works best for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was just on the Apex out of Rotterdam for and Iceland and Northern Europe cruise from July 6-19th and the flew to Rome for a 7 night Greek Islands and Mediterranean cruise on the Odyssey from July 23-30. I enjoyed both cruises immensely but it was night and day. The Apex did have lots of kids but it was calm and relaxing.

The Odyssey on the other hand was just shear craziness with the amount of families on board. We were at capacity and there were some interesting statistics given at the Diamond and up event. Only 20% of the passengers were previous RCL customers and about the same % were Americans. The Europeans sure love sunning, The pool decks were just a mass of people EVERYWHERE and with the heat it was stifling and honestly uncomfortable to be on the pool deck. And this was the week of record breaking temperatures in Southern Europe. Luckily I've been to Rome too many times to count but precruise it was just way too hot to do any touring when it was 98 degrees in Rome. Luckily the temps started to moderate a bit and it was manageable temps for a great beach day in Mykonos. 

This was my first and will be the LAST time I EVER do a Mediterranean cruise during the summer months. Previous trips have always been Spring or Fall but family scheduling required a summer trip.  

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

This was my first and will be the LAST time I EVER do a Mediterranean cruise during the summer months. Previous trips have always been Spring or Fall but family scheduling required a summer trip.  

I guess its much more quiet and relaxing during spring and fall?

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Cruiscs said:

Another thing are those silly poolgames. One day we just wanted to relax by the pool instead of going ashore and in about the minute we layed down they started pool games aimed for kids with constant announcments over the microphone. And when that was over they started playing loud techno music. Had to use earplugs after a while… 

Your experience is so different from ours in over 20 cruises on Celebrity. We have not sailed in Europe and the only times we have encountered many kids were on Christmas sailings in the Caribbean. One sailing a few years ago had over 900 children but the Kids Club staff did a good job and there was none of the screaming you mentioned - just lots of kids underfoot. There were pool games on those two cruises and they were really popular. We don't usually sit by the pool so it didn't impact my enjoyment of the pool deck. 

I'd suggest that if you have an option sail when schools are in session. If you decide to sail to the Caribbean, avoid March and April (spring break), Christmas (mid-December through 1st week of January), and anything in the summer that might be interesting to families. We've been to Alaska twice (first week of June and first week of September) and there weren't many kids. OR try a repositioning cruise. We had a 13-nighter this past April/May and there were exactly 5 people under the age of 18 on the ship. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cruiscs said:

Most definitely. I have sailed Europe too many times to count but never in July and I have never witnessed the amount of families and craziness that was on the Odyssey on any previous cruise. Even a Christmas Week cruise on MSC out of Genoa was a calm atmosphere despite the amount of families on board. Obviously on that cruise the outdoor pool deck was never used but even the indoor pools although crowded wasn't unbearable.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cruiscs said:

Our first Celebrity cruise was in the Med, but in early September.  I don't remember any kids, although I needed a vacation afterwards (10 days, very port intensive).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sorry if this post sounded negative which was not the intention. We were just suprised on the amount of kids and teens on this cruise. The rest was fantastic. The food was amazing and the service was exeptional- the best we have ever experienced on land and at sea. The ship was spotless and high end. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruiscs said:

We usually cruise on 10+ day sailings while school is in session and we see very few children on our cruises. If you have the time, look at a TransAtlantic cruise (spring or late fall) and the ship will have a completely different vibe. We enjoy the Caribbean in January and February because the cruises usually have less families on board.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Cruiscs said:

Yes and no . In the fall yes , in the spring you are dealing with the Spring Break school vacations.

Once again , certain cruise lines tend to be “ calmer “ especially on longer itineraries.

1 hour ago, Cruiscs said:

Sorry if this post sounded negative which was not the intention. We were just suprised on the amount of kids and teens on this cruise. The rest was fantastic. The food was amazing and the service was exeptional- the best we have ever experienced on land and at sea. The ship was spotless and high end. 

Many of us feel the same way... we have raised our children and enjoy a more peaceful environment.  We made the mistake of doing a Mexico cruise last Thanksgiving week... oh my, we have never seen anything like it, especially on Celebrity.  The Sky Lounge had family games all week and there were kids running all over.  Live and learn... we rarely cruise now unless during times that kids are in school.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

We try not to cruise when kids are out of school.  We love Celebrity and earlier this year did Wonder of Seas and said never again.   We like April/early May or October/November.   

We typically cruise March and October for that exact reason, few kids!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruiscs said:

Bad timing.. We  usually hit the  outdoor pool and Solarium early.. We can enjoy quiet time and then leave  for a better spot to read or have coffee when the atmosphere starts to change.  

Kiddos running wild used to be more of a Royal C problem,  but seems X now suffers the same shortcoming. 

In error,  we once booked a Royal C cruise over Easter vacation  from MIAMI . There was total bedlam and destruction on board. Lack of parental supervision and a failure of security/ cruise line control  =   a perfect storm.

Never again over any school vacation!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

The Caribbean is about the worst possible choice for relaxation. The most relaxing cruises in our experience are transoceanic cruises. I would also avoid summer travel.

Couldn’t disagree more. Cruised their summer time, few kids, calm seas, lovely islands. What’s not relaxing?

• Like 1

M class in Alaska last September had 3 children onboard. One of which was adorable and very well behaved, the other I never really saw, and the last one the parents really should have not done a late dinner every night (past bedtime with time change was wayyyyy to late and the kid was difficult because of it). Literally that was it for kids. 

Smaller ship with less kid friendly amenities, during the school year, longer cruises, and less kid fun destinations is the list I try to follow. The more boxes you check the less likely to have kids onboard.

I am slightly dreading the screaming children I will encounter on Freedom of the Seas (March, Caribbean, 8 night, full on water park on board). It was not my choice but I don’t want to miss this family cruise.