Charles DeGaulle Airport- customs and next flight to ship

chrismch

Help with Charles DeGaulle Airport -Cus

Our transatlantic lands at CDG and it looks like we have to pick up our checked baggage and go through customs before we can get on our flight to Copenhagan. Any tips on how to navigate this quickly so we can catch our flight out?

What airline (s) are involved? By the way, this is discussed on the Cruise Air board daily, as it doesn't have anything to do with HAL.

If the airline involved doesn't change, or it interlines with the second airline,  you will clear Immigration at CDG, and Customs at CPH.

I hope you have a good layover.

Busy, busy, airport.

But your luggage will be picked up by you and go through customs/immigration and there should be a belt once through that you put your luggage on to go to your flight.  

You shouldn’t need to check in again. I never had.

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

I hope you have a good layover.

Busy, busy, airport.

But your luggage will be picked up by you and go through customs/immigration and there should be a belt once through that you put your luggage on to go to your flight.  

You shouldn’t need to check in again. I never had.

Ah, no, unless the airline(s) involved don't interline. Otherwise, luggage should be checked to the final destination (CPH). The OP will need to go through Immigration at CDG, but Customs, which really isn't a thing in Europe, will occur at CPH.

You are describing the procedure connecting International to domestic in the US. Its different in Europe.

7 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Ah, no, unless the airline(s) involved don't interline. Otherwise, luggage should be checked to the final destination (CPH). The OP will need to go through Immigration at CDG, but Customs, which really isn't a thing in Europe, will occur at CPH.

You are describing the procedure connecting International to domestic in the US. Its different in Europe.

Ahh no = I don’t live in the U.S. - try again.

Most times it is checked through but there have been occasions (discounting the time we came home to Canada) that you need to get it.  I’ve had to do it 3 times in many years.

But yes, under normal circumstances it should be checked through and I should have told the OP that.

Just now, kazu said:

Ahh no = I don’t live in the U.S. - try again.

Most times it is checked through but there have been occasions (discounting the time we came home to Canada) that you need to get it.  I’ve had to do it 3 times in many years.

But yes, under normal circumstances it should be checked through and I should have told the OP that.

Have connected through several mainland Europe airports to other mainland Europe airports probably a dozen times in the last 6 or 7 years. Never had to claim bags at connecting airport. In all cases, the airlines involved were in the same alliance, so no issue with interlining. 

15 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Have connected through several mainland Europe airports to other mainland Europe airports probably a dozen times in the last 6 or 7 years. Never had to claim bags at connecting airport. In all cases, the airlines involved were in the same alliance, so no issue with interlining. 

I don’t use interline.  I’m just a regular passenger.  We had to do it in the last 8 years IIRC - probably 3 times - no biggie.

and yes, it’s normally checked right through.

But we got to immigration/customs (i never get it right) and were told we had to pick up luggage.  It was not a big deal - we were probably “chosen” since we weren’t the same colour of skin.  It was all quick and easy but I wanted to alert the OP.  My experiences are real and honest and other than covid we travelled extensively.

Are you sure that your luggage will not been checked through to Copenhagen?
If there is the same reservation, you should not pick up luggage and go through customs in CDG - only if two separate reservations - but then there is also a problem if your transatlantic flight is delayed and you lose your connection to CPH. 
State which airlines and whether it is the same reservation. I have traveled transatlantic to CPH with changes in many different European airports and never experienced that luggage was not checked through to CPH.

From a post in OP’s roll call I can see that’s TA carrier is Delta and Air France to CPH - luggage will be transferred through CDG. Not necessary to pick up luggage.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, kazu said:

It was not a big deal - we were probably “chosen” since we weren’t the same colour of skin.

I can guarantee that the mechanism that decides whether to send bags either to the baggage belt for collection at the transfer airport, or to the facility that processes bags that are to be transferred directly to the next flight, will have had absolutely no idea whatsoever about what colour skin you have. That is not a piece of data coded into the barcode on the baggage tag.

Whether you have to collect your bags at the transfer airport and then hand them back for the onward flight depends on:

1. Which airport is the transfer airport (and what its setup does and does not allow it to do).
  2. What your routing is (and what the rules are for that routing).
  3. Whether you are travelling on one ticket or two separate tickets.
  4. If there are two airlines involved, whether they have an interline baggage agreement (if the two airlines are in the same alliance, this is much more likely to be a "yes" - but otherwise, alliances are not actually relevant and a transfer from one airline to another airline in the same alliance is still an interline transfer).
  5. If you are travelling on two separate tickets, what your first airline's policy is about through-checking bags onto the flight on the second ticket.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kazu said:

I don’t use interline.  I’m just a regular passenger.  We had to do it in the last 8 years IIRC - probably 3 times - no biggie.

and yes, it’s normally checked right through.

But we got to immigration/customs (i never get it right) and were told we had to pick up luggage.  It was not a big deal - we were probably “chosen” since we weren’t the same colour of skin.  It was all quick and easy but I wanted to alert the OP.  My experiences are real and honest and other than covid we travelled extensively.

You're not understanding what interline means in this case.  It's not an airline employee or travel industry employee discount, it's partner airlines and/or ones who will transfer bags if they aren't normally partners.  (Sorry, very bad sinus infection and headache so I am probably not explaining things as they should be)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chrismch said:

Our transatlantic lands at CDG and it looks like we have to pick up our checked baggage and go through customs before we can get on our flight to Copenhagan. Any tips on how to navigate this quickly so we can catch our flight out?

What do you mean "it looks like we have to pick up our checked baggage....."   What are you looking at that makes you think that?

More importantly, is your air travel all on one ticket or did you book two separate tickets are two non-partner airlines?

39 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

You're not understanding what interline means in this case.  It's not an airline employee or travel industry employee discount, it's partner airlines and/or ones who will transfer bags if they aren't normally partners.  (Sorry, very bad sinus infection and headache so I am probably not explaining things as they should be)

Thanks.  

On 8/6/2023 at 2:55 PM, chrismch said:

If you are flying business class or better you may have a Fast Pass which will get you through the ugly lines faster,  buts its also  easy to get hung up in the First-Class lounge too long even with the Fast Pass in hand so you have to pay attention.

But this doesn't exactly answer the checked bag question, I know.   I can just confirm that the airport is ugly and the lines can get longer fast.

Edited by JRG

I've never had to claim a bag even when connecting to an airport in France. Last time through CDG, they seemed to be transitioning to the new ETIAS/EES system, used the e-gates but had to have passport stamped. Very slow, hope they get it working right.

I rate CDG and LHR about equal.

We are stopping in Paris at ‘CDG’ from Toronto on Air France with two (2) hours between flights, also Air France, booked thru cruise line. Both using carry on’s to continue to Athens. I read on airports website to follow “yellow” border on wall… is 2 hrs enough time?? What to expect???

There will be monitors showing gate number and which part of the terminal it's departing from, eg 2F. Make sure you follow the signs for that area. I've done it in as little as 20 minutes depending on the line at border control. The 23.15 flight seems to work best.

On 8/8/2023 at 11:52 AM, JRG said:

buts its also  easy to get hung up in the First-Class lounge too long even with the Fast Pass in hand so you have to pay attention.

I blame this on the house champagne in the Lounge at CDG. 

It's not Bollinger but its the best house bubbly I've ever tasted in an airport lounge.

That should be expected given the proximity to the region where it was born.

We know we will be heading from 2E to 2F. I see from looking at map, it will depend on which gate. Purple shuttle.

Some posts speak of having to go through customs before our connecting AF flight on to AthensPlease advise if this is fact as we have 1 hr and 55 minutes.

A family friend and daughter had 2 hrs 2 weeks ago and missed their connecting flight to Malta.

Yikes!!!!

1 hour ago, Postcards said:

Some posts speak of having to go through customs before our connecting AF flight on to AthensPlease advise if this is fact as we have 1 hr and 55 minutes.

If you have both legs og your flight on the same ticket only immigration at CDG - baggage will be checked through to Athens. 
two hours will be fine if your flight is at schedule - in case of delays you’ll automatically be rescheduled to the next flight. Later arrival but I assume that your are arriving few days before your cruise in case of delays of flights ir luggage.

I have been traveling frequently from Us to Europe the last 40 years - have missed flights due to delays bot newer experience problems.

Thank you both for your reply’s. 

I know we go from 2E>2F, and Purple shuttle and now, yes through Immigration.

Cheers all, feel more relieved having a better idea what to expect.

I am one of those people who needs to know what to expect for travel

;)))))))