The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday August 7th, 2023

richwmn

Another chilly winter day, temperature 5C.   A good day to keep warm indoors. 

Thanks for all the photos of Crete.

Today, in history  on  8th August, in 1871, after considering a petition signed by 149 Dunedin women the University of Otago decides to permit women to attend its classes and sit examinations, becoming the first university in the British Empire to do so.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Good evening.  After we rehydrated, we felt better.  I managed to put together a decent dinner of fish, a vegetable, avacado slices and fruit salad.  Of course there was wine and ice cream.  I'm just glad it was accomplished in the air fryer and microwave.

It finally dipped below 100F after 8 tonight.

I think if I'm not too sore tomorrow, we'll try to figure out what went wrong today with the spark plugs.  It shouldn't take as long since we know which tools we need and how to do things.

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Just an update.

The Termite Company will honor the Bond and will be here on Thursday to do the inspection.  That is good because there is one area of concern in the house and we will be able to show it to them and hopefully get it taken care of if it is caused by termites.

Also I received a call from the A/C company today.  They told me they have to install another board in the compressor. I told them the A/C was working but they said the second board has to be replaced,  So they are coming on Wednesday to do that.

Tomorrow we are seeing the attorney to update our wills.  Actually we are planning to draft new wills. This has been a very hard thing to do.  DH had a very hard time understanding what he needed to prepare.  We finally finished this afternoon.  We spent hours on the cruise working on this.  I am so glad we have finally gotten to a place that we are both happy with. Phew!

So that takes care of the week.  If we are up to it we will go to Costco on Friday.  We will see.

Good night all.

Terri

Terri, that's good news about the termite company, and the a/c people coming this week.  Having your new wills finished will lessen the worry.

52 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good evenint.

Re the discussion about fall detectors. I wear an Apple watch. If I fall or even bang my hand hard, it will ask me if I'm ok or to contact emergency services (my phone has to be nearby or wifi, since I don't have cellular service on my watch). If the watch detects you're immobile for about a minute, it calls emergency services automatically. With the iphone14, it you have no signal or wifi (say out hiking somewhere) it will use satellite to call for help.

I've wanted to be on a jury, but have only been called twice I think. You had to call the day before, and I never had to report. In PA, at age 70 you can be permanently exempt for jury duty, if you wish.

You can't make these things up! A dog was abandoned at the airport here. The owner was denied boarding with the dog, as it wasn't in a proper carrier. She boarded the plane, and the dog was found in a stroller in the parking lot. The dog was microchipped, and the owner will be charged with animal abandonment.

@bennybear Nice photos from Crete.

@Cruzin Terri Good news on the Termite Company and getting the new board for the AC. And I'm glad you got your wills settled.

@1ANGELCAT I'm glad the storms are done. We have more tonight. And the alligator in the Kiski River was caught today. They think it was someone's pet (as it lets people pet it), then maybe got too big. It will be moved to a reptile center.

For lighthouse day, Europa Point Trinity Lighthouse, Gibralter

154-EuropaPointTrinityLighthouseGibralter.thumb.JPG.6fe653da3759347700966749d1b8c18d.JPG

Vanessa, what a story about the selfish pet owner.  Some people shpuld notmhave pets.  I'm glad they caught alligator. 

In Texas, if you are older than 70, you are automatically exempt from jury duty.  I have been called for jury duty three times. The first, I was not accepted for the jury.  The second time it was for a capital case.  The entire jury panel was thrown out, but we never leared why.  The third time was the charm.  Because we were out of the state at the time, I was placed in the next jury pool.  I had the second lowest number, so I was selected.  The trial ended in a hung jury, because two jurors belived you made up you mind during the trial, and did not change it during deliberations.

Lenda

• Like 12

Love the photo of “baby” miss Camilla!   I echo Roy,  hoping we can see baby Murphy growing too.  

@Cruzin Terri hope things settle down for you,  take the time you need so a cruise is fun and welcome.  I have at times had to postpone trips, and it is almost always better later when things are settled.    

@Oceansaway17  we have used the national express buses from Heathrow with good luck.   Do check if the times are flexible before booking, with all the airline delays it might be easier to just buy when you are there.  

@rafinmdmy mom used lifeline, but when she fell it didn’t call and she laid there overnight,  so perhaps one that dies the fall detection.  

A few lighthouses.

_DSC0494.jpeg

IMG_1711.jpeg

IMG_0999.jpeg

DSCN0728.jpeg

_DSC0233.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Dekalb county Superior Court-if I was one year older I could opt out.

In this case, employers cannot excuse jury duty and trust me, no one thinks a telemarketer is that important.  

And while there is no actual deferral any more because of Covid, because Chuck will be in treatment with the infusions, and his immune system may be off wack, I can get his doc to create a letter.  (the same doc that is telling us to take that 25 day cruise, and see Europe)

I get called up for jury duty alot.  Thought I had finally been called enough.

The last one never finished up, the criminal wanted to live closer to his family, and he wanted to move closer to Atlanta, (where he had killed someone, not very far from where I lived at the time of the murder)things were going quite well in his favor until his own lawyer mentioned that he had also killed a police officer in Alabama.. and they threw us out, and told us that the case would be restarted with another group.

The time before, I knew  the charged's father.

The time  before was a federal case, and the case date got moved, because we had SNOW in Atlanta. I never got called back.

The time before was a different county and I had to go every day, and every day for two weeks I was excused because of the insurance that I had, or the people settled out of court.

I'm thinking, this time they might actually have me.  My number is 40.

animals-dog-trials-juries-cat-felines-enan833_low.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Nice to see you here today, @erewhon,  I have a favour to ask.  There’s a 14 day cruise on Nieuw Statendam we suggested Pat’s sister and BIL join us on  -Canary Islands on April 21 next year.  It seems awfully expensive in Australian dollars.  How does the NZ dollar compare?  I wondered if you would mind looking it  up there if your dollar is around the same as the A$.  (Just a basic inside.). Here there’s a sale on - do you see sales there?  

Have checked the HAL Aus  website,  the prices are all in AUS dollars,  interesting to compare your N.Statendam 14 day with a Noordam 14 day but in March. .........Sydney to Auckland.

Here goes:: N.Statendam Inside, from 3579              Noordam   Inside from 2219

Ocean View from 4479,                               Ocean view from  2379

Verandah from 4779                                   Verandah from  3419

Vistafrom  5679                                       

Signature from 8929                                     Signature from 4459

Neptune from 10,129                                   Neptune from 5979

Am not seeing the N. Statendam cruise on sale.!

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Have checked the HAL Aus  website,  the prices are all in AUS dollars,  interesting to compare your N.Statendam 14 day with a Noordam 14 day but in March. .........Sydney to Auckland.

Here goes:: N.Statendam Inside, from 3579              Noordam   Inside from 2219

Ocean View from 4479,                               Ocean view from  2379

Verandah from 4779                                   Verandah from  3419

Vistafrom  5679                                       

Signature from 8929                                     Signature from 4459

Neptune from 10,129                                   Neptune from 5979

Am not seeing the N. Statendam cruise on sale.!

Thanks so much.  The prices are really high, even with a low A$!  Here an inside is C$1,723 on the NS.  I think I may suggest they wait to see if the price goes down.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Thanks so much.  The prices are really high, even with a low A$!  Here an inside is C$1,723 on the NS.  I think I may suggest they wait to see if the price goes down.

If you are seeing a sale, perhaps you could book and pay for the four of you and they re-imburse you 

The prices I listed are per person.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

perhaps you could give a brief description of why Camille is so special to everyone

I'm not @smitty34877 but Little Miss Camilla was born during shutdown, I believe around June 2021 or was it 2020?  --Terry correct me if I'm wrong about the timing.  She was born premature and we all were there every day thinking of her and praying for her.  Her father wasn't there at the beginning because he was working on a ship....Terry I don't remember his vocation.  Terry kept us updated and posted an occasional picture....  wow, she has grown so much!  (I'm hoping Terry can fill in the blanks.)  So, she is a very special baby to us all, watching her get well and grow.  I am hoping, praying and the best that little Baby Murphy does the same.

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Oliver's bath went great. He enjoyed the shampoo rub and I used a tumbler to rinse him since both shower heads are a bit scary for him right now. He smells like oatmeal and looks so cute. His fur is growing!

0807230928_HDR.thumb.jpg.78a3c721e8656c9dc4b5c905de2e7bf8.jpg

0807230929a.thumb.jpg.a349d44ce9b8af1b239726cf7274509f.jpg

Joy, little Oliver is so adorable!  And that pink nose and ears!  It makes me want to brush his hair backwards to fluff it up more. 

BTW, thank you for your prayers for sweet "S".  She is doing better but please keep praying because it's so hard for a teenager searching for their place in this crazy world. 

• Like 10

Thank you Sharon @Sharon in AZ for providing details.I never had a chance to get back here until much too late.

Camilla is my niece's granddaughter and she wss born almost 3 months too soon.She was in the NICU from June to the end of August in 2021.Her Dad my great nephew is a fisherman and often gone 2 weeks at a time. She made AMAZING   progress and is now a talkative 2 year old with only a slight hearing loss.My DB only met the first two of his grandchildren before he passed away.He would have loved "our sweetheart ".

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, grapau27 said:

It is always best to book in advance.

The Trainline for trains.

National Express for coaches.

Heathrow airport Taxis.

Screenshot_20230807_221715.jpg

Screenshot_20230807_221744.jpg

Screenshot_20230807_221848.jpg

Thanks but if I wanted to go by train would I have to do so from

London

If my plane is delayed I would hate to lose money for car service.

I guess getting to Southampton is stressful

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

London

Yes.

The London underground stops at all Heathrow terminals and uses the Piccadilly line to central London.

Most trains for Southampton leave from Waterloo station.

You can buy tickets at the stations kiosks.

The Trainline app is extremely helpful with train times/prices etc.

Screenshot_20230808_175736.jpg

Screenshot_20230808_175612.jpg

Screenshot_20230808_175654.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Yes.

The London underground stops at all Heathrow terminals and uses the Piccadilly line to central London.

Personally I would get the 

National Express coaches app and book through them.

It is by far the cheapest and quickest way.

With jet lag you are better coming a day early and booking a hotel overnight in Southampton near the central train station which is only 5-10 minutes taxi from most cruise terminals.

Screenshot_20230808_181018.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

London

The national express leaves from near terminal three. You can just buy your tickets when you arrive,  it works very well. 

22 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Yes.

Thanks very much. I took screen shots of messages on phone.

now perhaps I might sail from Southampton and stay night before

• Thanks 1

Does your cruise line offer transfers from Heathrow to the ship?  If so, would it make sense to book a night at a Heathrow hotel and use that.  I don't think you can take National Express to Waterloo.  It's the UK equivalent of Greyhound.

Roy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Oh good to know. I can take it to Waterloo then to get train?

You could just get National Express bus direct to Southampton bus station.

If you go on their website or their app it will be very helpful.

I always drive 315 miles to Southampton and stay overnight in a hotel near Harbour Parade Westquay.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 11:34 AM, rafinmd said:

Does your cruise line offer transfers from Heathrow to the ship?  If so, would it make sense to book a night at a Heathrow hotel and use that.  I don't think you can take National Express to Waterloo.  It's the UK equivalent of Greyhound.

Roy

I come in the day before and many cruise lines only allow transfers for those flying in same day or using their flights 

• Thanks 1