Memo from the British Isles - 14 days Almost Live from Nieuw Statendam

VMax1700

3 hours ago, queen_kathy1 said:

They sell DOND cards before the show.  The computer randomly selects a person who bought a card to go up on stage to play (2 people play in one hour) and select which briefcases are opened.  The person on stage can win up to $1,000.  Those in the crowd who bought tickets open the briefcases on their card and if the amount in the briefcase on your card matches what's shown up on the big screen, then you get a match.  As you play, you accumulate matches and depending on how many you get, you can win a prize.  The big prizes are win a free cruise or $1,000 - but you need a lot of matches to get to that level.  I watched DOND 2 different times during my 2-week cruise and the highest prize I saw won was $300 by one person (in the crowd). Most people won $5 scratch cards, a few people won a free bingo card.  On stage, the most I saw someone win was $200, the worst, someone won 25c, another won $1.  When you buy a card to play, even though you already opened all the briefcases, you still use your same card in following along as the second person plays - same session.  On another day, you need to buy new DOND cards to play again.

Thanks so much for this excellent explanation 👍 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

That really is not fair.  Staff should have controlled the lines and process better. 

I am now concerned about the immigration process for our cruise.    It's really hard to plan an excursion outside of the cruiseline not knowing when passengers will be allowed off of the ship. We normally book shore excursions with fellow CC members.

The ship has to abide by immigration.  No one can control the immigration and their speed.

If your next cruise is in your signature, I’m not sure why you are concerned.  If you need immigration it will only be for your first port - Edinburgh. (Tender port so no one gets off fast anyways) if I am looking at the right itinerary.

UK rules are their rules.  they’ve been in place as long as I have been cruising.  It’s not the fault of the ship - they are subject to when immigration can come on and how long they take.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just so I understand the rules Kazu (others please chime in as well) we are traveling on the Zuiderdam from FLL-Bermuda-Ireland-UK-France-Belgium-Netherlands

I have always cruised from Europe to US on Westbound TAs.  This is my first Eastbound trip.

Will we have to clear customs in Ireland and the UK?  I want to plan my shore excursions with enough time after we moor.

Thanks All in advance. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CNSJ said:

Just so I understand the rules Kazu (others please chime in as well) we are traveling on the Zuiderdam from FLL-Bermuda-Ireland-UK-France-Belgium-Netherlands

I have always cruised from Europe to US on Westbound TAs.  This is my first Eastbound trip.

Will we have to clear customs in Ireland and the UK?  I want to plan my shore excursions with enough time after we moor.

Thanks All in advance. 

It’s not the Eastbound - it’s just the ports if you go to the U.K.  In your case, yes I believe you will have to clear U.K. customs.  I believe you should only have to do it once though.  But, it’s not because you are on an Eastbound TA -   It just depends on the itinerary, not the direction of the TA.

We are going from the EU to the UK and now with Brexit out of the picture, I suspect we will too.  I will certainly report on my live thread and have alerted my roll call.  In the past, if we were in the EU, we did not have to undergo it and only did from other areas like the Baltics.  Brexit has changed that I think. But when I did have to do it - one immigration sufficed for all of the UK visits.  JME.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kazu said:

The ship has to abide by immigration.  No one can control the immigration and their speed.

If your next cruise is in your signature, I’m not sure why you are concerned.  If you need immigration it will only be for your first port - Edinburgh. (Tender port so no one gets off fast anyways) if I am looking at the right itinerary.

UK rules are their rules.  they’ve been in place as long as I have been cruising.  It’s not the fault of the ship - they are subject to when immigration can come on and how long they take.

Hey kazu - You misunderstood why I said "That really is not fair."  I wasn't talking about the immigration people.  Cruise staff should have controlled the lines and process better.  I certainly understand the immigration rules.  What I was referring to is that the ship staff should have turned away anyone that tried to stand in line when their deck time had not even been called. 

"the Cruise Director was begging pax not to line up outside the World Stage as they had called no one yet.  But everyone ignored her."

Begging certainly is not going to be of any good.  Cruise cards should be checked to make sure that guest were following the 'planned' schedule for decks being called.  It wasn't fair that the OP had a window (albeit a delayed window) to show up for immigration, yet, it was obvious that others did not adhere to the process. 

Yes, our first stop is Scotland, as I mentioned a few post above.  I realize that we tender, but was not sure if we had to go through any immigration since it was our first port of call after Rotterdam.  We have CO, so was hoping to get a tender as early as possible.  DH wants to take the train and either see St. Andrews, again, or play some golf on one of the nearby courses that he did not get to play on during a prior golf trip.  We stayed in Edinburgh for 4 nights in 2018 before embarking a cruise out of Dublin.  Combine that cruise stop in 2016, we have seen so much in and around Edinburgh.  DH is going to look into golf at Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, as a back-up golf option.  

Let's get back back to the OP's cruise report!!! 😉  So helpful.  Sorry to get off track, VMax1700.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CNSJ said:

we are traveling on the Zuiderdam from FLL-Bermuda-Ireland-UK-France-Belgium-Netherlands

I believe that you will only experience a face to face immigration inspection to enter the UK.  In all probability all other immigration (EU/Schengen etc) processes will be handled by Front Desk by presenting your passport details to the authorities in advance of docking.

• Like 2

Day 6 Douglas IoM.

Douglas and the Isle of Man has many memories for me, both happy and sad.

As a kid my parents would have brought us to Douglas on the ferry from Belfast and a couple of times by plane on a DC3 or a Handley Page Dart Herald.  We stayed in what was called a 'Private Hotel' which was basically a guest house that was licenced to sell alcohol to residents.  They would have been over 4 or 5 storeys with 15 to 20 bedrooms, and shared 'facilities' on each landing.  Meals supplied would be breakfast and High Tea. 

We stayed numerous times in a private hotel called 'Chequers' on Broadway and I believe it was located around here:

DSCN2995.thumb.JPG.59eaed357aa02d8c45d9412888c12703.JPG

I was always interested in motorcycles and motorcycle racing (it is a national obsession in N. Ireland) and in later years visited numerous times for the Isle of Man TT races, which are held in early June.  In fact, 48 years ago Ellen & I had our honeymoon in the Isle of Man for the TT races.  In those days she was as much into the bikes as I was.  We went a bit upmarket for the honeymoon and stayed at the Douglas Bay Hotel which was where a lot of the factory teams and top riders would stay.  In those days true professionalism had not permeated the sporting arena (specially bike racing) and the guys were still crazy and human and prepared to enjoy themselves and have fun.  The Douglas Bay hotel burnt to the ground in 1988 and was rebuilt as an office block.  

Some parts of Douglas still remain, almost as I remember them.....The horse drawn trams, the railway to Laxey Wheel, the mist on Snaefell and we did find a shop selling Manx Kippers and another one selling clotted cream fudge and traditional sea side rock.

DSCN2991.thumb.JPG.cc95b244747ec37f9078b424806e0018.JPG

DSCN2990.thumb.JPG.5709b2f01942dc4bbfb5d37c80f5b748.JPG

So all in all it was a day of mixed emotions.  The good memories of seeing things almost as they had been and the sadder memories of good friends lost doing what they loved (racing).

I should mention that the tendering 'process' was a disaster.  They were still calling tickets at 11.45 am which was 3hrs 45 mins after the scheduled starting time.  I would have expected free tendering within two hours.  According to local sources the Nieuw Statendam was setting a record for the number of cruise ship visitors in a day.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Another strange thing today was that the last tender was at 5.30pm  but we did not sail until 9.45 pm (it is only 70 nautical miles to our next port).  In his evening briefing Captain Eric said that they would be recovering the tenders, closing the tender platform and would sail around 8pm.  If such a late departure was planned, then why was last tender at 5.30?  

• Like 6

Day 6 Daily Progam (Douglas IoM, Monday)

DSCN2985.thumb.JPG.33040b454bcd60ceb10d8e46aecd2588.JPG

DSCN2984.thumb.JPG.ff4571f5d85a673ce6a816361684464a.JPG

Although Cantare was listed for tonight, it was actually comedian Chas Burnett, with a different show to his first one.  We found it very entertaining though some may have found it a little risque. (we went to the 9.30 show which was definitely aimed at an adult audience)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Notwithstanding slightly snarky post above (sorry), I am also greatly enjoying your posts.  Very fun and informative. Nice to have dailies and menus.  I believe DH and I will be on Rotterdam with you in September and will try to remember meet and greet.  

Now if I could just get rid of earworm from your Gerry and Pacemaker post.🙉

• Like 3

8 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Day 6 Douglas IoM.

Douglas and the Isle of Man has many memories for me, both happy and sad.

As a kid my parents would have brought us to Douglas on the ferry from Belfast and a couple of times by plane on a DC3 or a Handley Page Dart Herald.  We stayed in what was called a 'Private Hotel' which was basically a guest house that was licenced to sell alcohol to residents.  They would have been over 4 or 5 storeys with 15 to 20 bedrooms, and shared 'facilities' on each landing.  Meals supplied would be breakfast and High Tea. 

We stayed numerous times in a private hotel called 'Chequers' on Broadway and I believe it was located around here:

DSCN2995.thumb.JPG.59eaed357aa02d8c45d9412888c12703.JPG

I was always interested in motorcycles and motorcycle racing (it is a national obsession in N. Ireland) and in later years visited numerous times for the Isle of Man TT races, which are held in early June.  In fact, 48 years ago Ellen & I had our honeymoon in the Isle of Man for the TT races.  In those days she was as much into the bikes as I was.  We went a bit upmarket for the honeymoon and stayed at the Douglas Bay Hotel which was where a lot of the factory teams and top riders would stay.  In those days true professionalism had not permeated the sporting arena (specially bike racing) and the guys were still crazy and human and prepared to enjoy themselves and have fun.  The Douglas Bay hotel burnt to the ground in 1988 and was rebuilt as an office block.  

Some parts of Douglas still remain, almost as I remember them.....The horse drawn trams, the railway to Laxey Wheel, the mist on Snaefell and we did find a shop selling Manx Kippers and another one selling clotted cream fudge and traditional sea side rock.

DSCN2991.thumb.JPG.cc95b244747ec37f9078b424806e0018.JPG

DSCN2990.thumb.JPG.5709b2f01942dc4bbfb5d37c80f5b748.JPG

So all in all it was a day of mixed emotions.  The good memories of seeing things almost as they had been and the sadder memories of good friends lost doing what they loved (racing).

I should mention that the tendering 'process' was a disaster.  They were still calling tickets at 11.45 am which was 3hrs 45 mins after the scheduled starting time.  I would have expected free tendering within two hours.  According to local sources the Nieuw Statendam was setting a record for the number of cruise ship visitors in a day.

Do you have a list of the excursions on offer in IOM, as Uk residents interested what’s on offer 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruiser man 60 said:

Do you have a list of the excursions on offer in IOM, as Uk residents interested what’s on offer 

I have a pdf of the full listing but as it is personalised it has some information that I would rather not post to a public forum. Do you have a generic email address I could send it to?

Day 7 Holyhead Tuesday

Pronounced Holly head!

This was on the front cover of the Daily Program for today.

DSCN3009.thumb.JPG.a582ec6da782050673252ee44d0cb4c5.JPG

Holland America tour buses were pulled up at the bottom of the gangway whereas all others were required to take the free shuttle to the cruise terminal to meet their private tours/taxis etc.

Holyhead is a very busy ferry port with numerous ferries running to various ports in Ireland.

this is the Irish Ferries 'Ulysses' doing a quick 180 before reversing into its dock.

DSCN3010.thumb.JPG.f23f94d7d65af335047700a0a44b88ac.JPG

Before heading down to our meeting place at the world stage we went to Dutch cafe for a quick latte.  We were greeted by a smiling Captain Eric who was enjoying a bowl of Dutch Pea Soup!

Today was the second of our 'cheap' tours thanks to HIA.  We went to Caernarfon Castle which was the location for the investiture of the now King Charles as Prince of Wales on 1st July 1969.   The drive there was pretty uninspiring.  A lot of flat agricultural land a few sheep some horses and a lot of cattle.  The Anglesey Agricultural Show was being held today and tomorrow near to Holyhead, but we didn't even meet much traffic.

(I will just mention here that there were no priority bus tickets for the port shuttle bus, but there was not much of a wait for those that needed them).

Some views of the castle

DSCN3016.thumb.JPG.e465830d63a5e7991d515c110b0f481d.JPG

DSCN3019.thumb.JPG.f1ac0e20c628141ab33d17e16f2cb928.JPG

DSCN3022.thumb.JPG.64d811bd2418451bd050e088afa82187.JPG

On the way back to the ship we stopped at that village with the unpronouceable name of 58 letters.

20230815_155449.thumb.jpg.7322fc360bfe833a030437e80c7e5960.jpg

An interesting enough day, but I would not feel the need to rush back!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Is that Gaelic?

In Angelsey the spoken language is Welsh.  It was interesting to hear them speaking.

Although only 60 miles from Dublin the Welsh that was spoken was unlike Irish Gaelic.

Apparantly the town was named as a publicity stunt and its meaning is:

St Mary's Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel near a Rapid Whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the Red Cave.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, erewhon said:

@VMax1700  Am enjoying your Live From thread.

You have posted photos of Bread Pudding, Is Fruit Cobbler available alongside the Bread Pudding?

I have seen fruit pies and fruit crisps but not a true cobbler (no base or sides but only a pastry  topping )

• Like 3

I did overlook an event yesterday morning when I had a bit of a melt down and threw a major strop at one of Lido chefs and a management type in white shirt and lots of gold on her epaulette.

It was 9am and the Lido was busy, so they decided to close one side of the Lido and direct everyone to the Starboard side, which remained open.

The station which serves the 'English Breakfast' (I only eat back bacon and not that streaky stuff) also prepares the crepes individually and has a nice selection of fruits, was staffed by one person who was working very hard to try to keep up with demand.  But the line just got longer.  Whereupon I notice the two individuals standing chatting against the barrier.  "Guys" says I, "This is crazy and no way to run a service business.  I am sure you have reasons for closing one side during the busy hour, but you need to increase the staff levels on the open side to deal with the increased volume of customers".  "There is one guy there trying to deal with a long line and other requirement".   The response was "Sir, we only have one crepe machine there!"  I let rip with a "People are looking for more than just crepes and that guy is under serious pressure.  He needs help".

Chef then went behind the screen and started serving.

Was I wrong?

It just seems to me that if you close one side then double the number of people will pass throught the open side.  Not increasing the staff level on the open side is asking for long lines.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6

21 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I did overlook an event yesterday morning when I had a bit of a melt down and threw a major strop at one of Lido chefs and a management type in white shirt and lots of gold on her epaulette.

It was 9am and the Lido was busy, so they decided to close one side of the Lido and direct everyone to the Starboard side, which remained open.

The station which serves the 'English Breakfast' (I only eat back bacon and not that streaky stuff) also prepares the crepes individually and has a nice selection of fruits, was staffed by one person who was working very hard to try to keep up with demand.  But the line just got longer.  Whereupon I notice the two individuals standing chatting against the barrier.  "Guys" says I, "This is crazy and no way to run a service business.  I am sure you have reasons for closing one side during the busy hour, but you need to increase the staff levels on the open side to deal with the increased volume of customers".  "There is one guy there trying to deal with a long line and other requirement".   The response was "Sir, we only have one crepe machine there!"  I let rip with a "People are looking for more than just crepes and that guy is under serious pressure.  He needs help".

Chef then went behind the screen and started serving.

Was I wrong?

It just seems to me that if you close one side then double the number of people will pass throught the open side.  Not increasing the staff level on the open side is asking for long lines.

Good for you, Colin 👍 

You were right on the money IMO.

• Like 7