Memo from the British Isles - 14 days Almost Live from Nieuw Statendam

VMax1700

34 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I did overlook an event yesterday morning when I had a bit of a melt down and threw a major strop at one of Lido chefs and a management type in white shirt and lots of gold on her epaulette.

It was 9am and the Lido was busy, so they decided to close one side of the Lido and direct everyone to the Starboard side, which remained open.

The station which serves the 'English Breakfast' (I only eat back bacon and not that streaky stuff) also prepares the crepes individually and has a nice selection of fruits, was staffed by one person who was working very hard to try to keep up with demand.  But the line just got longer.  Whereupon I notice the two individuals standing chatting against the barrier.  "Guys" says I, "This is crazy and no way to run a service business.  I am sure you have reasons for closing one side during the busy hour, but you need to increase the staff levels on the open side to deal with the increased volume of customers".  "There is one guy there trying to deal with a long line and other requirement".   The response was "Sir, we only have one crepe machine there!"  I let rip with a "People are looking for more than just crepes and that guy is under serious pressure.  He needs help".

Chef then went behind the screen and started serving.

Was I wrong?

It just seems to me that if you close one side then double the number of people will pass throught the open side.  Not increasing the staff level on the open side is asking for long lines.

You were on target!  Good for you and good for the Chef!

The Multi-stripe officer could have been the Food and Bev Manager or the Restaurnat Ops Manager, neither of which should give that kind of a non-answer and not looked at the situation as a whole, as did the chef.

• Like 5

Tonight was Lincoln Center Presents........

We went to the 9.30 performance.  There were 5 musicians - :Piano, Violin, Cello, Guitar and woodwind (flute/clarinet).  

There are 35 brand new arrangements for HAL in conjunction with Lincoln Center.  Tonight's show was named 'Classical Remix' and the pieces performed were:

Mozart - Overture Marriage of Figaro,

Strauss - Blue Danube Waltz

JS Bach - Air from Suite no 3 in D maj. (Air on the g string)

Joseph Bologne (Chevalier de St Georges) - Allegro from Symphony no 5 Pastorella

Bizet - Carmen Habanera

Chopin - Nocturne E flat maj. 

Beethoven - Symphony no 3 Eroica, 1st Movement

Rossini - Barber of Seville Overture.

Friday night is the first performance of 'Americana'.

20230816_214232.thumb.jpg.dc8bd1e6e608909c08bbffe2c0c16d63.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6

28 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

We went to the 9.30 performance.  There were 5 musicians - :Piano, Violin, Cello, Guitar and woodwind (flute/clarinet).  

There are 35 brand new arrangements for HAL in conjunction with Lincoln Center.  Tonight's show was named 'Classical Remix' and the pieces performed were:

Mozart - Overture Marriage of Figaro,

Strauss - Blue Danube Waltz

JS Bach - Air from Suite no 3 in D maj. (Air on the g string)

Joseph Bologne (Chevalier de St Georges) - Allegro from Symphony no 5 Pastorella

Bizet - Carmen Habanera

Chopin - Nocturne E flat maj. 

Beethoven - Symphony no 3 Eroica, 1st Movement

Rossini - Barber of Seville Overture.

Friday night is the first performance of 'Americana'.

20230816_214232.thumb.jpg.dc8bd1e6e608909c08bbffe2c0c16d63.jpg

We are pleased to see a version of the Lincoln Center return.  How did it sound in the World Stage?  

13 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

I have seen fruit pies and fruit crisps but not a true cobbler (no base or sides but only a pastry  topping )

12 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Not every day. 

Thank you both for your replies.

8 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

7 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

How did it sound in the World Stage?  

@VMax1700 What did you think of the venue and acoustics for this performance?  Is it a reasonable alternative to the previous small venue?  We would love to hear your overall opinion!!

Thanks,

~Nancy 

16 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

We are pleased to see a version of the Lincoln Center return.  How did it sound in the World Stage?  

Very good,  A full sound from only 5 instruments.  To me the guitar was surplus to requirements but perhaps there will be more guitar pickin in the Americana set 😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, oakridger said:

@VMax1700 What did you think of the venue and acoustics for this performance?  Is it a reasonable alternative to the previous small venue?  We would love to hear your overall opinion!!

Thanks,

~Nancy 

I really enjoyed it.  For the 9.30 performance the venue was about 75% full.  It was an attentive and appreciative audience.  Perhaps many who had not previously attended the small venue.  I know that I very rarely went to the old version as it was quite crowded but not great for background hubub.

The World Stage background was black with only the Lincoln Centre Present logo showing.

If I was to suggest an improvement (in my eyes) it would be to have three cameras on the artistes, one left of stage, one right of stage and one central, with the images shown on the wrap round screens.  We were sitting to right of stage and could view the strings but only the back of head of guitar and woodwind.  Minor problem I know.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

A few people have been surprised by the Captains most recent announcement regarding South Queensferry (Edinburgh) tomorrow and Saturday.  First, we are using ships tenders and not the larger local tender service.  Secondly, although we are overnighting at South Queensferry (many cruisers are going to the Tatoo in Edinburgh) the tender service will not operate between 2am and 7 am on Saturday morning. Thirdly, he expects that the tender service may be affected by tidal and sea conditions when moored.

I would think a few uneasy cruisers today.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2023 at 12:25 AM, VMax1700 said:

Another strange thing today was that the last tender was at 5.30pm  but we did not sail until 9.45 pm (it is only 70 nautical miles to our next port).  In his evening briefing Captain Eric said that they would be recovering the tenders, closing the tender platform and would sail around 8pm.  If such a late departure was planned, then why was last tender at 5.30?  

I believe that our anchor got caught up in a steel cable on the sea floor, and it took some time to dislodge it before we could depart.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SueMo said:

I believe that our anchor got caught up in a steel cable on the sea floor, and it took some time to dislodge it before we could depart.

That does make sense as we were in the World Stage that night and there was a lot of anchor chain movement.

• Like 2

Yes it was the third appearance by Chas Burnett.  I believe that there is some illness around the entertainers.  Cantare are not performing and BBKing band is down one member, the bassist.  Last night the keyboard player instead played bass and tonight it was the trumpet player playing keyboards and trumpet while the keyboard player covered again for the bassist.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Yes it was the third appearance by Chas Burnett.  I believe that there is some illness around the entertainers.  Cantare are not performing and BBKing band is down one member, the bassist.  Last night the keyboard player instead played bass and tonight it was the trumpet player playing keyboards and trumpet while the keyboard player covered again for the bassist.

Wow!  Sounds like the musicians are talented to play multiple instruments, thankfully.

A shame about Cantare - I really enjoyed them on the Oosterdam last year.

Hope there is nothing serious and everyone will be well soon 🤞 

• Like 2

The Lido European Themed Dinner was very good.

My selection was:

Dutch Pea Soup,

Mussels,

Bitterballen,

Fish Pie,

Bossche Bol

Proffertjes

finshed with dutch cheeses and byo crackers 😉

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 10

@VMax1700, I've been enjoying your Live From!  I was wondering how you found the volume of the music in the World Stage when the classical group were playing?  We usually find the sound much too loud, and referred a smaller venue.  Most concerts in the WS, I keep my ears covered with my hands...

Hope all goes smoothly in Edinburgh, and regards to Ellen.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

@VMax1700, I've been enjoying your Live From!  I was wondering how you found the volume of the music in the World Stage when the classical group were playing?  We usually find the sound much too loud, and referred a smaller venue.  Most concerts in the WS, I keep my ears covered with my hands...

Hope all goes smoothly in Edinburgh, and regards to Ellen.

Hi Ann,  We found the volume just about perfect.  Also no vibrations or resonances.  Apart from the opening sequence of Blue Danube there was nothing that really called for piano.

Even Rolling Stone Rock Room and BBKings seem to have reduced the volumes slightly.

Best wishes to you and Pat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

The Lido European Themed Dinner was very good.

My selection was:

Dutch Pea Soup,

Mussels,

Bitterballen,

Fish Pie,

Bossche Bol

Proffertjes

finshed with dutch cheeses and byo crackers 😉

It sounds good 🙂. LOL on the BYO crackers 😂. I was hoping we were past that.  Thank you for the reminder.  Hope I can pick some up in Amsterdam rather than pack them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1