Grand Princess to Tahiti - take the plunge or skip it?!

Graycruise

Looking at the 2024 Grand Princess to Tahiti from LA for 33 nights...but not sure about the ship, given its age and not-so-great recent reviews - but the itinerary is amazing.... So, would you go for it or take a pass, given the ship.

Would love to hear from some recent Grand travellers!  We aren't fussy people, looking at a balcony or mini-suite - don't need a whole lot of bells and whistles!

Appreciate the input!

We were on the Grand this year for 20 days. Nothing wrong with the ship. Sure she a little bit older in the fleet and doesn't have all the bells and whistles the newer one has. We had a ball sailing on the Grand Princess. 

I go for itinerary first and then if the ship can stay a float and get from A to B then its a go for me 🙂 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I have sailed a similar RT L.A. cruise on the old Star Princess and enjoyed it. Realize that there are 23 sea days and 9 ports, 10 port days, with an overnight in Papeete. Two times there are 5 sea days in a row and at the end there are 8 straight sea days. You really have to enjoy sea days. There will also be very seasoned cruisers on board. People that have sailed basically everywhere. The crowd will be older, people with lots of leisure time.

Before booking I would suggest you look into a crossing from Sydney, Australia to the west coast. I know it's a Loooooong flight from Ontario. These crossings go to many of the same Pacific ports, plus New Zealand and other ports closer to Aust/NZ. There should be a few less sea days. I sailed a cruise from Australia to LA and loved it. Took a tour in Australia before boarding.  

• Like 2

I have to say that whether a ship will be just fine or might encounter an issue during your cruise is something that's wholly unpredictable. She's getting up there in age but she's still very comfortable and quaint. I think if you have your heart settled on the itinerary and the overall experience, I would just go for it.

I also agree with other posters who have suggested a transpacific from Australia to the West Coast (or vice versa) if you still want to stick with Princess. You'll still get a flavor of the Pacific islands but might also have some newer vessels to choose from (though that's also no guarantee for nicer ship condition either). 

Another alternative is Holland America's 35-day Marquesas itinerary on the Koningsdam. Those are just as popular.

44 minutes ago, MustangGT said:

We are doing a 32 day (22 sea days) in April, 2024 on the Sapphire and looking forward to it!  Haven’t been on that ship yet.

That’s awesome! I absolutely love the Sapphire. It has the complete wrap around promenade with cushioned loungers. 
It just feels like “ home” on that ship for me. 
I was on her last September for 10 days and it was great. 

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonit964 said:

That’s awesome! I absolutely love the Sapphire. It has the complete wrap around promenade with cushioned loungers. 

Have a great cruise!

We are excited!  The full promenade was a definite selling point!

• Like 2

We did the 32 day Sydney to Vancouver cruise on the Grand this past April.  We had a great time.  The ship could use some cosmetic updating in some of the common areas but the lack of updates did not detract from our cruise experience.   Staff/service was very good.  We thought the restaurants/food were very good, but this can be a subjective opinion. 

We liked our cabin on the Aloha deck towards the aft.  Easy access to the aft terrace pool and easy access to Lido deck and Lido buffet restaurant.  Would book this cabin location again.

Also, liked the wrap around promenade deck for walking, which is missing on the newer princess ships.

There was an electrical issue on the Grand during our cruise.  The ship lost power to the an aft section (1/7 of the ship) on all decks for a 5 day period.  Major inconvenience for those who had a cabin in that section as they had to be moved to a different section/cabin.  Was a relatively minor inconvenience for us as our cabin was not in this section.  Princess did compensate all passengers with a future cruise credit of 50% of cruise fare paid for this cruise, which I thought was more than reasonable compensation (has covered 90% of the cruise fare, including Plus, for 2 additional cruises we booked for this upcoming winter).

I would have no hesitation in booking the Grand again.  Also, enjoyed the itinerary.  Good combination of sea days and port days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MustangGT said:

We are excited!  The full promenade was a definite selling point!

Not only is it a full wrap-around Promenade but it's extra wide with room for full loungers and enough room still left for the walkers. Absolutely love those extra wide Promenade decks.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Graycruise said:

Looking at the 2024 Grand Princess to Tahiti from LA for 33 nights...but not sure about the ship, given its age and not-so-great recent reviews - but the itinerary is amazing.... So, would you go for it or take a pass, given the ship.

Would love to hear from some recent Grand travellers!  We aren't fussy people, looking at a balcony or mini-suite - don't need a whole lot of bells and whistles!

Appreciate the input!

I love the Grand Princess. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

Another alternative is Holland America's 35-day Marquesas itinerary on the Koningsdam. Those are just as popular.

These ports interest me. Shame have to fly all the way to the US.Would love to see something done from Australia that does similar ports.

8 hours ago, Graycruise said:

Appreciate the input!

The ship is ok.  Older ship

3 hours ago, icat2000 said:

These ports interest me. Shame have to fly all the way to the US.Would love to see something done from Australia that does similar ports.

The Coral Princess is doing 35-day Hawaii/Tahiti/South Pacific this September and next March, all from Australia! 

I don't think these itineraries are coming back when Crown and Diamond go down to Australia, though 😞

7 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Have a great cruise!

Wouldn't count on cushioned loungers on the Promenade deck.  Was on the Diamond Princess ( sister to Emerald) and mid cruise ( a 9 day cruise) they removed the cushioned loungers which were in high demand and replaced them with straight backed cushionless chairs !!

On 8/11/2023 at 6:11 PM, snoozecrooze said:

The Coral Princess is doing 35-day Hawaii/Tahiti/South Pacific this September and next March, all from Australia! 

I don't think these itineraries are coming back when Crown and Diamond go down to Australia, though 😞

Unfortunately going to Japan on Royal Princess just afterwards so can't do that cruise. I'm hoping they revisit that itinerary in the future.

We are booked on this awesome 33 day Hawaii/Tahiti/Fiji itinerary and have no concerns with the Grand Princess age or condition.  We sailed a similar itinerary on the Star Princess in 2019 just before it was sold.  We were on the Grand in 2016 and honestly I dont really see much difference between all of the Princess ships Ive been on.  Here on the West Coast we normally get the older ships so guess that's what I'm used to.  Recently sailed on the Ruby and after a while they look pretty much the same.  What I look for is the size, (dont want too big) a walk around promenade and a pool in the aft.  That back pool becomes my balcony when booking inside cabins.  The price for this 33 day itinerary is very reasonable when compared to the 32 day Hawaii/Tahiti.  I would say if the ship is the only thing holding you back go ahead and book it, can always cancel if something better comes along. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/10/2023 at 2:52 PM, Graycruise said:

Appreciate the input!

I'm looking at this one as well, but beginning Oct 31 and ending Dec 4? in 2024. Looking for the best deals, promotions, etc. I can find, and praying I can save up the $$. I'm a solo traveler, and am hoping other solo travelers will be on the ship, willing to get to know one anther, hand out, share tables at meals, etc. Just got of the NCL Sun to Alaska with tons of solo travelers. We'd all meet up in one of the clubs and then our ship's host would arrange for big (or little) tables together so all the solos could eat together each evening, if they so chose. That was such a great help! Does Princess do anything like that for solo travelers? Also, due to length of the cruise, I'm assuming there will be few children on board. Is this assumption of mine accurate? Thanks for any advice or hints y'all may have for this fairly newbie!

We sailed the Grand Vancouver to Auckland last October. The ship was in very good condition. We had previously sailed on her many moons ago during her first year of operation.  We enjoyed the cruise but 2 ports were cut making too many sea days together for our liking.   Wasn’t keen on the buffet.  Found to very “Samey” for our liking after Royal class buffets but we only used it for a quick breakfast and a light lunch.  Other than that we really enjoyed the ship