The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday August 11th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Presidential Joke Day, Son and Daughter Day, and Play in the Sand Day

My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can. - Cary Grant

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Salt-and-Pepper Black Bass with Curry Verd
Drink of the Day - Tres Gen Tequila Paloma
Wine of the Day - Monte da Ravasqueira - Vinha Da Coutada Velha Red Blend 2020
Destination of the Day - Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Today in History:
1954 Formal peace treaty ends over 7 yrs of fighting in Indochina between the French and the Communist Viet Minh

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Victoria, British Columbia 2000-2359

Koningsdam

At Sea destination Vancouver, Canada eta 12 Aug

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea destination Liverpool, England eta 12 Aug

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Oosterdam

Kusadasi

Rotterdam

At Sea destination Amsterdam, Holland, The Netherlands eta 12 Aug

Volendam

Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm/Juneau, Alaska 0900-0930

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1300

Zaandam

Djupivogur, Iceland 0700-1500

Zuiderdam

Belfast, Northern Ireland 0900-1800

0811Alaska.thumb.png.76f623c7aa2bb67941e4486c4ed1d97e.png

0811Atlantic.thumb.png.0bde3d510adc7b42f23b17a435afb55b.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 17

Good morning friends!  This morning we are anchored outside Djupivogur, Iceland and it is quite overcast.  You might even want to call it foggy.  I’m hoping for a miracle with the sun burning off the fog, and no rain occurs.  We are waiting a bit to see what happens, but all aboard is 2:30 so we can’t wait too long.  We were awakened at 6 am by preparations being made for the tender operation and tender lowering.  No wonder we take naps most afternoons!💤

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report.  We have a common sense quote from Cary Grant.  I am happy to celebrate my Son and Daughter any day of the year.  I can’t comment on Presidential Joke day or I might get in trouble!  I doubt there’s any sand to play in here in Djupivogur – probably rocks.  Thanks to Tina @0106, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their food and beverage reports today.  I’ll pass on the black bass, tequila and red wine.

Prayers for all on the Care list this morning.  So glad to hear Chuck @catmando is feeling fine after his treatment.  Good luck Annie @marshhawk getting all that water into him each day!  Hoping Sam is in and out of that rehab facility lickety-split.  My thoughts are with Baby Murphy and her family and hoping all is progressing well this week.  A salute to all on the Celebration list especially cruisers, birthdays and anniversaries.🚢  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your list keeping!🥂

Good news from FC Dallas.  The 17 and 18 year old boys have been invited to a major tournament Aug. 17-26 in Mexico City!   In the short time Ren’s been there in Dallas he has proven himself worthy of a spot to go to that tournament with the team.  And he’s only 16 so that’s an honor in my book.  No time to acclimate to the extreme elevation.  They will have 9 games in 7 days!  DS will go with him the first three days, then DDIL will join him there since DS does have a job to do in Michigan. DDIL has been staying with older DGS and taking him to UCLA orientation this past week. Time to switch parents next week.  We have been emailed links to watch some of the action in Mexico but we will be on the ship for most of those dates.  Hope we can follow along as best we can!

Port today is Port Elizabeth, South Africa which was our port on April 24, 2021.  I have not been before so no photos from me.  Here is a link to that date for you to re-capture your photos.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful Friday and great start to their weekend.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Happy Friday for all who enjoy the Fleet Report and Daily.  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Tina, Dixie, and Ann.  Three interesting days although I don't really participate in any of them, and I like the Cary Grant quote.  I bet there were lots of celebrations in Indonesia back in 1954.  I visited Port Elizabeth just once; 2014 on Crystal Serenity although I was due to return in 2020 on Queen Mary 2,  I'll pass on the bass.  My alternative is Venison Sausage and Vegetable Soup, Pork Chop with Parsnip Puree, and Peach Crisp A La Mode which I might have enjoyed this date in 1997 on Rotterdam VI.

Off soon to take out the trash, walk the mall, head off to Wegmans and mail my Nieces birthday card.

Roy

• Like 36

Today’s Care list:

RMLincoln’s DH’s eye appointment

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-op, hopefully off ECMO soon

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Ill pets – Heartgrove’s Sam. Cruising sister’s Molly

Wildfires in Maui/Lahaina town gone

Canadian/US/Greek wildfires, storms/flooding, dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again and again

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

1Angelcat’s friend Barb post-surgery for pancreatic cancer

Catmando starting immunotherapy 

Smitty34877’s DH Lou with chemo side-effects

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

DeeniEncinitas safe on Maui

Mamaofami’s DH Sam released from the hospital to rehab

1Angelcat’s friend Barb home after surgery for pancreatic cancer

Highland Cruiser heading to Yellowstone Park with DGS

Aliaschief visiting DS in PA

Baby Murphy’s heart functioning normally

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

6 days for Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas Aug 17 to Aug 26)

AV8rix (Nieuw Amsterdam to Aug 13), Copper10-8 (Nieuw Amsterdam to Aug 13), Dfish (Zaandam to Aug 23), StLouisCruisers (Zaandam to Aug 23) and NextOne (Zuiderdam to Aug 25)

• Like 25
  • Thanks 17

Tres Gen Tequila Paloma cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Tres Generaciones® Plata Tequila
2 parts Grapefruit Soda
Splash of Lime Juice
Garnish: Grapefruit Peel

Instructions
Build ingredients over ice and stir. Garnish with a grapefruit peel.

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 6.46.01 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 17

Grilled Salt and Pepper Black Bass with Curry Verde is a very specific recipe.  Curry verde (green curry) paste is traditionally made from a combination of green chilies, shrimp paste, garlic, shallots, lemongrass peppercorns, markut limes and cumin seeds.  It is usually very spicy.

Black bass are North American freshwater fish.  Some other common  names for black bass are widemouth bass, largemouth bass and Florida bass. 

I feel like @ottahand7 could provide us with some excellent recipes for grilled fish.  Perhaps they would be so kind as to share one with us.

Since many of you cannot access the Bon Appetit site and I could only find one recipe for the dish, I have copied the recipe for you.

Bon Appetit's Grilled Salt & Pepper Black Bass with Curry Verde is made with a whole fish.  Two tips for grilling whole fish like a pro: Use two large metal spatulas to make turning it a lot easier, and season the entire fish—we’re talking head to tail and inside and out.

1 cup grapeseed or other neutral oil, divided, plus more for grill

1 Tbsp. vadouvan or other curry powder

1 green chile (such as serrano or jalapeño), finely chopped

1" piece ginger, peeled, finely grated

1 garlic clove, finely grated

1½ cups finely chopped cilantro, plus 1 cup leaves with tender stems

3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice, divided

Kosher salt

2 1½–2-lb. head-on black sea bass or other whole fish, cleaned

8 scallions, 4 whole, 4 very thinly sliced on a diagonal

Freshly ground black pepper

Lemon wedges (for serving)

Flaky sea salt

Step 1 Prepare a grill for medium heat. Heat ½ cup oil in a small skillet over medium. Once oil is shimmering, stir in vadouvan and remove skillet from heat (it should foam a little). Let cool in pan.
Step 2 Combine curry oil, chile, ginger, garlic, chopped cilantro, and 2 Tbsp. lime juice in a small bowl. Season curry verde with kosher salt and set aside.
Step 3 Place fish on a cutting board and pat dry thoroughly with paper towels (inside and out). Using a sharp knife, make slashes crosswise on a diagonal along the body every 2" on both sides, cutting all the way down to the bones (this will help the fish cook evenly). Place fish and 4 whole scallions on a rimmed baking sheet; season fish generously inside and out with kosher salt and pepper. Drizzle fish and scallions with remaining ½ cup oil (this may seem like a lot, but it’s the best way to prevent the fish from sticking to the grate).

Step 4 Clean and oil grate, then immediately place fish and whole scallions on grill. Grill, turning scallions occasionally, until lightly charred all over, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board. Continue to grill fish, undisturbed, 8–10 minutes. Lift up slightly from one edge to see if skin is puffed and lightly charred and easily releases from grate. If fish is not ready, let it grill another minute or so, then try again. Once it releases easily, gently slide 2 large metal spatulas underneath and turn onto second side. Grill until the other side is lightly charred and skin is puffed, 8–10 minutes, depending on size of fish.

Step 5 Finely chop grilled scallions and add to reserved curry verde.

Step 6Toss sliced scallions, cilantro leaves, and remaining 1 Tbsp. lime juice with a pinch of kosher salt in a medium bowl.

Step 7 Spoon curry verde on a platter and set fish on top. Scatter scallion mixture over and sprinkle with sea salt.

dJO4vE3D1URg5ObqNbiry-49E9detbUxXZDVkwOr

• Like 18
  • Thanks 19

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

I won't comment on Presidential Jokes.  I haven't played in the sand in years, maybe I will today if the beach isn't too crowded.  Son and daughter day sounds like a day to celebrate families and I'm in favour of that.

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal.  The drink sounds tasty.  I'm sure I'll like the wine.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a great Friday.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! It’s a so refreshing 63 degrees outside in Venetia, PA. with a forecasted high of 81 and low humidity. I will not touch presidential joke day. Have not been to our port of the day and Cary had a pretty good philosophy.

We are having a delightful reunion with family and are enjoying the comforts of their beautiful home. Son cooked stuffed pork loins wrapped in bacon on the BBQ pellet grill which was delicious along with the sides.

Today is a work day from home for son and wife and we are just going take in a walk and enjoy the beautiful weather and surroundings and grandchildren time.

Saturday night we are going to a Brazilian Steak house for dinner and Sunday I believe we have tickets to attend a Little League World Series game.

Time to enjoy family. Have a great day and thanks Rich and all who contribute. Bruce

image.jpeg.7c157835df1ffb01e573cf7774b6081e.jpegimage.jpeg.3499e9db74461fec5cda9e81871dab15.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.50dd3fdb356471170d8404b444b6eb60.jpegimage.jpeg.78e1d771b25f590295ccb71056683064.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a958a27cb49c68222245c62980bfaeb7.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Haha 24

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is currently 76°F and sunny at 12.05pm here.

A great quote.

A couple of good days.

Never been to today's port.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Good wishes for a nice weekend.

• Like 25

Good Morning,  thanks for today's daily fleet report. Mona served as our alarm clock and we were up at 4:30. About half way through CT on our way to Norristown, PA.  I'll pass on today's meal suggestion since I think we are going to a diner.

Yesterday I had my teeth cleaning.  During the cleaning my crown popped off. After an extra half hour in the chair it was cemented in place. 

I hope everyone has a good day today. 

• Like 30

6 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Yesterday I had my teeth cleaning.  During the cleaning my crown popped off. After an extra half hour in the chair it was cemented in place. 

I hope everyone has a good day today

Wow, it’s fortunate that it came off in the dentist’s office, and not while you were traveling.  

safe travels, and have a great day

• Like 22

24 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

We are having a delightful reunion with family and are enjoying the comforts of their beautiful home. Son cooked stuffed pork loins wrapped in bacon on the BBQ pellet grill which was delicious along with the sides.

That sounds delicious,  Enjoy the family time. 

• Like 15

49 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good news from FC Dallas.  The 17 and 18 year old boys have been invited to a major tournament Aug. 17-26 in Mexico City!   In the short time Ren’s been there in Dallas he has proven himself worthy of a spot to go to that tournament with the team.  

How exciting for Ren and his team!  I hope you are able to stream some of their games.  That’s wonderful news,

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  We had a beautiful sunrise glow today.   No sand to play in, I get enough Presidential jokes on Facebook.  No sons or daughters for me to celebrate.  Cary Grant's quote sounds like our days up here.  Thanks for the Daily reports. @0106 I will not be able to help with grilled fish.  I am only a fan of white, flaky fish like Cod and Walleye and they don't lend well to grilling.  I do broil Cod with a mayo and shrimp topping and our fried fish. My hint in using store bought fish batter is to use ice cold club soda instead of water.  The Paloma drink sounds good and I hope the vino is a good one.  Looking forward to photos of today's port . Grand Africa is on my wish list once I have to start taking RMDs from my IRAs. 

Prayers that baby Murphy will get off ECMO soon and that her heart has improved.  So happy to hear that @1ANGELCATs DF Barb has been released from the hospital.  Prayers for everyone on our Care list and the people of Ukraine.  Prayers for the town of Lahaina and her citizens.  I treasure the two times I got to spend time there, such a tragedy. 

We are heading to town, rain for most of the day here, we need it.  I still will have to water the tomatoes and hanging baskets before leaving in case the storm splits as it does often here between 2 Great Lakes.  @StLouisCruisers great news on Ren going to the tournament in  Mexico City.  Have a wonderful Friday. Nancy 

IMG_20230811_054702338_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230803_161124320.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich.

And thanks as always to Tina, Ann, Dixie & Vanessa.

Been trying to deal with some stuff so wasn’t on as it was just too had to keep up and multi post. No playing in the sand here - it would be mud in the rain.  Ivan is sulking - he hates going out in the rain - especially this downpour.

IMG_0944.jpeg.a10a19d01eb8c83f78bddc83e955d60c.jpeg

I like the Cary Grant quote - kind of my life the last few days.  LOL.

Love today’s recipe and Bass fish.  Not sure about the spice in the Curry Verd, but if someone wants to cook it for me, I’ll try it 😊 

Jake @Crazy For Cats thank heavens your crown popped out when it did.  Right in between cruises.  You deserve a smile having to sit in the chair longer:

IMG_0946.jpeg.25036a857ba35e11d1e72f4bc9f04244.jpeg

Happy to hear that @mamaofami Sam is out of the hospital at least and praying for Baby Murphy.

So much sad news - so many in distress - prayers for them and everyone on the Care list, those suffering loss, health issues and those that need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_0957.thumb.jpeg.4ae0961c5b7639680044e52cb2ec157c.jpeg

Have a Good Friday, everyone. 

• Like 30
  • Haha 11

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! I can picture you at your computer, rubbing your hands together when you selected the first day.

It is a lovely morning here. Yesterday’s strong breeze made my Bindi walks bearable. She knows our mail carrier’s schedule so well, she insists we go out at the worst of the day - just to get treats. I actually feel badly for her when our regular carrier is on vacation. 

Vanessa, thank you for helping all of us keep up with each other. Gym, chores, Bindi walks, a visit with my neighbors across the street who are moving next week & pool time. My neighbor’s house was on the market for just two hours before getting a cash offer. The sign had just been put up in their yard. We were all stunned. Them most of all. 

IMG_1556.jpeg.b2b5d6c21d2547ac1851e20f5e3bb7f2.jpeg

IMG_1609.jpeg.6aa69b8537fa167c84779032fe56b755.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! @StLouisCruisers I agree it is an honor for Ren! But a well deserved one!

Get well & stay well everyone. 

Monte da Ravasqueira - Vinha Da Coutada Velha Red Blend 2020

I need to look for this Portuguese red blend it sounds interesting, has great reviews & a price that makes it easy to try. Available from quite a few online distributors with prices starting at $9.90. Cheaper than many glasses of wine when enjoying one in a bar or restaurant. 

Winemaker

"Shiny garnet color. Complex nose with notes of spices, mix of black and red fruits and hints of mocha and chocolate. Elegant and remarkably fresh, fine finish, harmonious and complex." 

92 Wine Enthusiast 

"A well-structured young wine, this exhibits enthusiastic black fruits and fine tannins. This wine needs to age, so wait until 2023."

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 8

Good morning to all.  Sorry i never got here yesterday.  

Thank you to Rich for the Fleet and Daily Report.  Thank you to Vanessa and Tina and Dixie and Ann for your contributions to keep this thread going.

Prayers for Baby Murphy and Sam and hopefully we will hear some good news today.

Prayers also for @smitty34877’s DH and @marshhawk;s DH as they continue with their treatments.

Prayers for everyone on the cares list.

I will pass on the meal.  I cannot eat anything that spicy.  I will pay for that for many days.

As for the days,  I don’t have either a son or daughter, but i hope those that do, celebrate them today.  I will not be playing in the sand today, although I do not live far from the beach.  I will stay away from Presidential jokes so that I don’t get in trouble.

I like the Cary Grant quote.

I will pass on the drink and the wine.

As for yesterday, we passed the termite inspection, even the area of concern.  The problem is what is the area of concern.  There is a door frame in the interior of the house where there is some debris.

They are pretty sure it is not termites, but not sure what it is.  He put some foam in there to kill whatever may be in there.  Now I have to deal with the contractor to get the floors redone in some places where they are buckled.  I called yesterday but no answer.  

I am so tired of dealing with all this $%^^& with this house.  It just seems to be one thing after another.

We have decided that we are going to Italy in October and then the Transatlantic back to Miami.

DH wants to go and we have decided to take things slowly. I think we will be all right.

@kazu I have looked at Daniel Madeira Taxi but cannot figure out which tour is the right one to take.  Do you you have any suggestions?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

We are going to make a Costco run today to Pooler, Georgia.  

Hope everyone has a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good Friday  Morning Dailyites!  Yes, the alarm went off, and then I heard the thunder and the rain. I love to sleep to the sound of rain, but this week, while it's been raining, we have been getting up early for appointments.  MY PT Ashley even thanked me for showing up yesterday because it was so stormy.  I told her I wont get better if I dont show up.

I started calling for my new campaign yesterday, No bites. 5 hours of trying to sell full price tickets to people who found out how to get 20 dollar tickets...and there are no savings to actually buying the whole package, vs. single tickets....none.

Most of you know that DH and I feed a lot of stray cats.  After Fawn disappeared, Bubble and Uggles and a rather timid cat(we call Slinky) were still coming in to the carport to get fed.  Three nights ago Bubbles and Uggles disappeared.  I think that Slinky might still be around, but the food from the mornings was still there at night.  So prayers for the fur babies.  What could be taking them?

May-your-coffee-be-strong-and-your-friday-short-cat-meme-7568.png

7685ddc37850303d523334a83076d124.jpg

ec4fd9d28382856369717a6bb6b6bea6.jpg

• Like 23
  • Haha 10

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for today’s report, recipes and lists.  We’ll be working our way dow to Traverse City today for an overnight there and then some wine tastings tomorrow on the peninsula.  My sister Pat and I are visiting my mom today so I’ll let her know about the day.  Don’t mind if I do play in the sand.  Good advice from Cary Grant!  The meal and drink suggestions sound nice.  I haven’t been to today’s port. Prayers for all on our prayer list.  Cheers to those of you celebrating happy events today!

• Like 28