Drinks packages on Cunard

le chat

Hello 

We are considering a 38 day cruise and wondered if any regular Cunard travellers could assist. 
US$70 per day for a drinks package (hot drinks, soft drinks and wine & beer) over a 38 day period is a considerable cost. But so is a 15% surcharge on every drink. 
So - as neither of us drinks a lot (I would only have a wine with dinner probably 2 or 3 times a week max), we wondered if there was anything stopping us sharing a package? 
Thanks!

39 minutes ago, le chat said:

Hello 

We are considering a 38 day cruise and wondered if any regular Cunard travellers could assist. 
US$70 per day for a drinks package (hot drinks, soft drinks and wine & beer) over a 38 day period is a considerable cost. But so is a 15% surcharge on every drink. 
So - as neither of us drinks a lot (I would only have a wine with dinner probably 2 or 3 times a week max), we wondered if there was anything stopping us sharing a package? 
Thanks!

You should probably ask this on the Cunard section of CC.

I seriously doubt if they would let two people share one beverage package.  Every cruise line whose "rules" I've read prohibits that.

However, with the limited amount of drinking you do, it would probably behoove you to just pay for each drink.

Also, are you sure you'd have to pay for *all* of those drinks ("hot drinks"... would that be tea or hot chocolate, or coffee with breakfast or with dinner costing extra)?

GC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, le chat said:

Hello 

Thanks!

Hello @le chat

Thank you for your new topic on the Ask a Cruise Question forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your inquiry concerns a specific cruise line and is off topic there. 

To help you out I have moved your new thread to the Cunard Line forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed Cunard frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

Happy sails,

Host Kat

You can’t share a package but the 15% service charge is included in the $70/day. 
But that’s a lot of money x2 for a long voyage for just a couple drinks a day. Better to splurge on some nice bottles of wine. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, le chat said:

Hello 

Thanks!

Very quick and simple answer:  You cannot share a drinks package as Cunard will not allow that.  And given the amount your drink, a drinks package would not be a good buy.

• Like 3

We’ve been put off the package as I believe that if you order a drink that costs over the limit you have to pay the full cost less 20%. We would prefer to have fewer but more expensive drinks so have decided to pay as we go. For a 14 day cruise for 2 of us it would cost us just under $2000, and we would still have to pay extra for the nicer wines, adding considerably to the cost of the cruise. 

• Like 1

There are (much) cheaper packages which don't have alcohol in them, if you do actually drink lots of soft drinks. I've found, as someone who doesn't drink alcohol,  that the pricing is just at the point where it's 50/50 as to whether I would save any money, they aren't bargains. But they are convenient. Note that iced water, tea and coffee is available at meals, juice at breakfast, and some drinks are available on open access in the Lido / Kings Court. There's also at least a kettle in your stateroom.

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/activity-types/bars-and-lounges/a-world-of-drinks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pushpit said:

There are (much) cheaper packages which don't have alcohol in them, if you do actually drink lots of soft drinks. I've found, as someone who doesn't drink alcohol,  that the pricing is just at the point where it's 50/50 as to whether I would save any money, they aren't bargains. But they are convenient. Note that iced water, tea and coffee is available at meals, juice at breakfast, and some drinks are available on open access in the Lido / Kings Court. There's also at least a kettle in your stateroom.

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/activity-types/bars-and-lounges/a-world-of-drinks

Thanks for the reminder about the Lido(is that the all day buffet?)

We don’t actually drink soft drinks, just water & usually would take water bottles on holiday to fill up at breakfast. Someone did mention that they brought a small coffee plunger & ground coffee for the cabin and the two bottles of wine we are allowed on board would last the whole 38 days (me) with some left over… My husband drinks beer (2 per evening) and I would have a Negroni before dinner twice a week. We are Australian so used to barista coffee and will just pay for my husband’s flat whites daily…

Must say beyond excited and Cunard has given us a huge OBC amount which would more than cover the 15% per drink…

We are used to (unlike most Australians) tipping personally. On a long itinerary like ours, would you tip the cabin steward at the end or some at the start & some at the end of the cruise? Also, how much is acceptable to tip? We usually tip 10-15% for service In restaurants…

4 minutes ago, StollyBolly said:

Good grief!   You could pay for another cruise with what that drink package costs!   Thanks for confirming my decision to go all inclusive cruising. 

Well, for 38 days in a balcony cabin in a classic floating hotel with ambience and full board meal wise (it includes a transpacific & Alaska cruise) plus over $1000 of OBC, we aren’t too fussed about drinks - thanks for clarifying everyone! Looking forward to spending old school slow travel time!

We don’t actually drink soft drinks, just water & usually would take water bottles on holiday to fill up at breakfast. Someone did mention that they brought a small coffee plunger & ground coffee for the cabin and the two bottles of wine we are allowed on board would last the whole 38 days (me) with some left over… My husband drinks beer (2 per evening) and I would have a Negroni before dinner twice a week. We are Australian so used to barista coffee and will just pay for my husband’s flat whites daily…

Must say beyond excited and Cunard has given us a huge OBC amount which would more than cover the 15% per drink…

We are used to (unlike most Australians) tipping personally. On a long itinerary like ours, would you tip the cabin steward at the end or some at the start & some at the end of the cruise? Also, how much is acceptable to tip? We usually tip 10-15% for service In restaurants…

Not ever been on a cruise longer than 2 weeks.  I'd tip my cabin steward in cash at the start as usual, then probably every week.  Would want him/her to have some walking-around money in ports.  Use whatever guidelines the ship gives you, plus/minus depending on any extras.  You will LOVE Cunard, a wonderful experience all around.

It's a personal decision whether to tip your stateroom steward. Personally I do tip (not a huge sum, always right at the end) but really it is covered by the nightly hotel service charge that Cunard will add to your bill. There is no right or wrong here, just do what makes you comfortable.

I tend to get a decent OBC and then forget to burn off the last $9 dollars in the shop. And that covers the hotel charge, some bottled water and coffee, plus the wifi is supported via my World Club status just about. So I've found it best to avoid the drink packages. For the barista coffee, well that you won't get except by paying for the Illy coffee, but they do Flat Whites and related drinks. Bringing a cafetière / French Press may be sensible, you can get plastic ones and use it to store things inside in your luggage, assuming instant coffee isn't going to cut the mustard. 

There are water machines in the Lido (buffet restaurant, on QM2 it's Kings Court) and gym, however they do ask you not to directly pour into your own bottles, but to go via their supplied glasses. That's a Noro thing and I think it's good to wash your hands with soap and water beforehand too. But it's always accessible if a little slow.

7 hours ago, FLKrewzer said:

Does Cunard ever put their various drink packages on sale - like a Black Friday Sale online before voyage?

😂😂 You must be joking , in fact the drinks package has just increased. Perviously it was $65, it is now $70 purchased in advance or $75 once onboard. 

• Like 2

On 8/13/2023 at 9:54 PM, le chat said:

I would only ever tip at the end. Many Australians do indeed tip but not in the manner that some nationalities do (see previous comment). I won't mention an amount - whatever you feel comfortably reflects your feelings of thanks towards your cabin steward, waiter, sommelier or anyone else who has been particularly helpful.

9 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

😂😂 You must be joking , in fact the drinks package has just increased. Perviously it was $65, it is now $70 purchased in advance or $75 once onboard. 

I guess I’ll be paying as I drink!! 🍹🍷  Thanks for your reply, Bell Boy. 

• Like 2

Another first-time Cunard cruiser here so I’ll jump in with a related question… is iced tea and/or lemonade available in the buffet or the main dining room? Juice? Or only water and hot tea/coffee? We will not have a beverage package. Thank you

4 hours ago, Weloveitaly said:

Another first-time Cunard cruiser here so I’ll jump in with a related question… is iced tea and/or lemonade available in the buffet or the main dining room? Juice? Or only water and hot tea/coffee? We will not have a beverage package. Thank you

Juice, iced tea and lemonade are definitely all available in the buffet. I have never asked in the main dining room but I’d guess so. I’ve never purchased the drinks package either, as there’s no way I’d drink enough for it make economic sense. 

On 8/13/2023 at 12:54 PM, le chat said:

Never at the start. Possibly at the end, but no need assuming you pay the hotel and dining charge. 

17 hours ago, AussieVoyager said:

Juice, iced tea and lemonade are definitely all available in the buffet. I have never asked in the main dining room but I’d guess so. I’ve never purchased the drinks package either, as there’s no way I’d drink enough for it make economic sense. 

Thank you AussieVoyager! Good to know. 

23 hours ago, Weloveitaly said:

Complimentary iced tea is available in the MDR. Our wait staff has it waiting at our table nightly after requesting it the first night. Also, a lady across the way had a glass of milk each day with dinner. I mention her only because it was the first time I saw that.

Edited by fourmile.ranch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1