Peanut Butter

BruceMuzz

Do you like peanut butter?

Many Americans do.

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) inspects and controls the purity of peanut butter sold in America.

They have determined that producing pure peanut butter, free of foreign substances and objects, is "economically inconvenient".

So the standards for American Peanut Butter allow for "food defects".

When the FDA inspects Peanut Butter, they count the number of insect parts in a standard 100 Gram serving.

If they find 30 insect parts or less in that serving, it is perfectly OK to eat.

If they find 31 insect parts or more, the peanut butter is unfit for human consumption and must be discarded.

Your tax dollars at work.......................

We do, and crunchy only.  I grew up on peanut butter sandwiches.  Never heard of putting jelly on, too, until I was in college.  My mother was strictly a one-ingredient sandwich maker, cheese OR ham OR peanut butter.

When I lived in Australia it was called peanut paste, at the insistence of the dairy board.  I bought mine at a shop that would grind it on the spot, into the container you provided.  Good stuff.

15 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

The one I use shows ingredients of

99.5% peanuts

0.5% salt

No palm oil or additives ...

No room for bugs then 😁

The FDA does not require the insect parts to be listed as ingredients.

You get them free of charge.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We do, and crunchy only.  I grew up on peanut butter sandwiches.  Never heard of putting jelly on, too, until I was in college.  My mother was strictly a one-ingredient sandwich maker, cheese OR ham OR peanut butter.

I add banana 🙂

2 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

I add banana 🙂

I tried that once, and tried PB&J once; did not like either.  I do like a celery stick with PB, though.

I read somewhere that peanut butter is the preferred snack/energy food among the Rockettes.

On 8/15/2023 at 6:55 AM, BruceMuzz said:

Many Americans do.

I'm not American but, yes, I like peanut butter in moderation. I have tried it as Americans seem to often eat it, with jelly , but that's definitely not to my taste. Of course, I'm referring there to American jelly, not what we Britons would call jelly. That would be an even more unpleasant concoction. 

I have it on toast as a snack but, most usually, I use it to make satay sauce for Indonesian or Malaysian grills or as a dressing for a gado gado salad. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 7:44 AM, shipgeeks said:

When I lived in Australia it was called peanut paste, at the insistence of the dairy board.

I had never heard of that so I looked it up. Apparently it was called peanut paste in Qld WA & SA. Also as you said because of the dairy board, however that was 1929-1930!

7 hours ago, yarramar said:

I had never heard of that so I looked it up. Apparently it was called peanut paste in Qld WA & SA. Also as you said because of the dairy board, however that was 1929-1930!

I was in NSW, between 1969 and 1982.  I'm not quite as old as the 1930 rules! But thank you for the additional information.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To post only peanut butter seems a bit prejudicial. 

We would all be surprised of all manufactured , packaged and mass produced food items everywhere and anywhere and the tid bits that have snuck in without  a soul even knowing.

Please let us all not be naive but acknowledge and eat, drink and be merry!!! Especially on our next cruise!

• 6 months later...
On 8/15/2023 at 1:55 AM, BruceMuzz said:

Many Americans do.

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) inspects and controls the purity of peanut butter sold in America.

They have determined that producing pure peanut butter, free of foreign substances and objects, is "economically inconvenient".

So the standards for American Peanut Butter allow for "food defects".

When the FDA inspects Peanut Butter, they count the number of insect parts in a standard 100 Gram serving.

If they find 30 insect parts or less in that serving, it is perfectly OK to eat.

If they find 31 insect parts or more, the peanut butter is unfit for human consumption and must be discarded.

Your tax dollars at work.......................

This is not unique to peanut butter or to the US FDA; similar standards are in many countries that inspect food and have food standards.

On 8/20/2023 at 7:15 PM, Harters said:

I use it to make satay sauce

A co-incidence that this thread comes to life today, as I have just made a sauce to go with grilled pork tonight. This lot, mixed

125ml coconut milk

3tbsp peanut butter

2tsp brown sugar

1tbsp dark soy sauce

1tbsp fish sauce

1 lime juiced

• Like 1