Continuing Review of Our First Time Azamara Experience Aboard the “Onward” TA, Lisbon to FLL Nov 18-30, 2023

Traveling Fools

9 hours ago, vtgumby said:

Do they still have a library? Inquiring minds here…

Yes but it’s a much much reduced number of books compared to the other three ships. All four ships also have travel related books in the Den by future sales 

Guest Cooper2020
15 hours ago, vtgumby said:

Do they still have a library? Inquiring minds here…

They have some book shelves  with a limited choice of library books in the the Living Room (port side), but no dedicated library 'room'.

Good News...I was able to enter and "Store" our travel document information without call Azamara. 

When I went on line this time there was a Documents logo printed in blue associated with each passenger.  After toggling the button I was able to enter our PP info.

With 72 days left before departing Miami, I have one less thing to worry about.😅

• Like 2

On 8/22/2023 at 5:25 PM, Traveling Fools said:

While I can't access on-line check-in, our OBC is now reflected on our on-line profile.

Just looked at our Travel Agent's booking docs and compared the amount of OBC quoted on the booking against what is reflected on our Azamara website booking.  Azamara credits us for some of the OBC, but not all.  Will have to ask our TA to check into it and will keep you all posted.

• 1 month later...

After receiving a 20% off the cost of a upgraded drink package email from Azamara, I went to our booking page and couldn’t find a button to toggle to process the upgrade.  Without any luck finding it, I continued looking over the course of several days for a way to buy the upgrade.  I called my TA and asked for assistance, and she suggested I contact Azamara. (With the war in Israel, she had been inundated with making itinerary changes.) 

Anyway, yesterday, I checked our booking page again and found a new button titled Addons.  I toggled that button and found several different purchase/upgrade options regarding internet, land excursions, OBC, Spa, drink packages, dining packages, etc.  I was able to purchase the upgraded drink package and a Chef’s table package.  This eliminates the burden of waiting in lines after boarding to purchase those items.

With less than 2 weeks left before we depart Miami for the pre-cruise land segment of this adventure, I had not received any correspondence from Azamara regarding our boarding documents.  This prompted a 5:00 PM EST call to Azamara.  My call was quickly answered and within 3 minutes I received an email containing my Guest Ticket Booklet. 

DW and I have pulled down our luggage.  The heavy canvas luggage name tags I ordered arrived. 

image.thumb.jpeg.64d081b89f1f8b3e3e90dc7347aa7c51.jpeg

I underwent and passed a pre-cruise clothing inspection conducted by DW.  Two days ago, I purchased some travel size essentials that needed replenishment. Later today, I will arrange my meds.  Little things that need to be done now and not the day before we leave.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2023 at 9:33 AM, Cooper2020 said:

They have some book shelves  with a limited choice of library books in the the Living Room (port side), but no dedicated library 'room'.

Please bring an extra book for the library.  12 days we could run out of reading materials.   

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

You’ll still need to stand in line to reserve your chefs table - they are popular. Also no need to stand in line to buy drinks package, you just ask a server at a bar.

Having to do this is SO unnecessary!  Boarding can be convoluted and a big enough of a hassle alone, especially in some foreign countries and for novice passengers.  With today's  technology, all this can be accomplished on-line before boarding like you can do with other cruise lines.

4 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

I've heard that they get a small commission on the sale - a good way of making a early friend behind the bar!

Could be this why Az is offering a 20% discount for purchasing a beverage package pre-cruise and on-line.  The bar tenders are going to get extra cash tips from us to make up for any lost commission.

• Like 1

But can you purchase a beverage package online pre-cruise using OBC?

I have a load of OBC from a special offer so I definitely do want to use my OBC and not pay with money for a beverage package, but it has been intimated here on this board that I can't do that till I'm onboard.

I'd love to know the answer, the last thing I want is the hassle of trying to buy food and beverage packages immediately in the kerfuffle of boarding.

PS - specifically food and bev packages, not talking about excursions here.

42 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

But can you purchase a beverage package online pre-cruise using OBC?

I have a load of OBC from a special offer so I definitely do want to use my OBC and not pay with money for a beverage package, but it has been intimated here on this board that I can't do that till I'm onboard.

I'd love to know the answer, the last thing I want is the hassle of trying to buy food and beverage packages immediately in the kerfuffle of boarding.

PS - specifically food and bev packages, not talking about excursions here.

You can upgrade your drinks package at every bar. We usually do it at the poolbar within minutes.

Dining packages can be booked while doing the reservation for Aquelina and Prime C. 

So you need not to be afraid spending a lot of time for that.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2023 at 10:08 AM, Traveling Fools said:

Boarding can be convoluted and a big enough of a hassle alone, especially in some foreign countries and for novice passengers. 

Trust me, Azamara's boarding process isn't convoluted or a hassle. Joys of a small ship. I just got off a B2B on Onward, boarding in Fusina (Venice). I worried about how confusing/stressful boarding would be given that Azamara gave very little pre-cruise info and that we had to show up and "check in" at the Marittima port in Venice before being bussed to Fusina to board ship. 

I worried needlessly. I rolled up to the designated terminal at Marittima per schedule, immediately handed my bags over, then headed upstairs for a well-organized boarding process that moved quickly, then we were dispatched by batches on the buses to Fusina. Once there, we walked onboard and into the main showroom to check in, did our safety briefing at the same time/place, and were free to go -- I headed immediately to shorex to confirm a few things (a walk of maybe 50 feet) as there was only a short line. Then upstairs where I booked my specialty dining and chef's table dates where again there was just a short queue and was able to get very satisfactory times/choices.

Then walked across the hall to Windows cafe and was enjoying a nice rose and light lunch. It all seemed to take very little time and no stress whatsoever.

I wish you the same experience! 

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 12

On 10/27/2023 at 2:29 PM, Traveling Fools said:

I was able to purchase the upgraded drink package and a Chef’s table package.  This eliminates the burden of waiting in lines after boarding to purchase those items.

As @Grandma Cruising pointed out, it appears that if you buy a Chef's table package online ahead of time (such as "Chef's table plus two"), you still have to wait in line when you Board and then negotiate which Chef's table you want to attend, right?

Does buying this package guarantee that I will get a Chef's table?     

If I am assigned to a Chef's table on a date that I dont want or can't attend, do I get refunded?

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I headed immediately to shorex to confirm a few things (a walk of maybe 50 feet) as there was only a short line. Then upstairs where I booked my specialty dining and chef's table dates where again there was just a short queue and was able to get very satisfactory times/choices

With exception of your need to clarify Shorex issues, you have illustrated my point.  You shouldn't have to go upstairs to book your specialty restaurant reservations.  Instead, Az should have a feature on their booking page that permits you to make those reservation pre-cruise online. 

18 minutes ago, Dynacruiser said:

As @Grandma Cruising pointed out, it appears that if you buy a Chef's table package online ahead of time (such as "Chef's table plus two"), you still have to wait in line when you Board and then negotiate which Chef's table you want to attend, right?

If I am assigned to a Chef's table on a date that I dont want or can't attend, do I get refunded?

Great questions, that also reinforce my point that all this can be handled pre-cruise on line.  I can do it with X, Oceania, and NCL,,,,why not with Az?!?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dynacruiser said:

Don’t think you would be assigned one unless you didn’t attempt to make a reservation for one.

I think many of you are missing my point regarding having to handle details regarding booking reservation and drink packages on board.

The issue isn't the size of the ship or how easy it is to do on board.

My point is why can't that be done online pre cruise? 

It is a feature available with other cruise lines.  Why can't Az integrate it into heir booking page?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Traveling Fools said:

I think many of you are missing my point regarding having to handle details regarding booking reservation and drink packages on board.

It is a feature available with other cruise lines.  Why can't Az integrate it into heir booking page?

Think of it as one of the endearing quirky features of a boutique experience!  

Beyond that, who on this forum do you think has an answer to your question?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Traveling Fools said:

Most other cruise lines have considerably higher passenger numbers than Azamara so they need to allow booking beforehand, Azamara has much smaller numbers, so it’s really a non-issue.

Edited by Grandma Cruising
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Most other cruise lines have considerably higher passenger numbers than Azamara so they need to allow booking beforehand, Azamara has much smaller numbers, so it’s really a non-issue.

Not quite, both Explora and Viking do your restaurant reservations ahead of boarding if you wish. Limited obviously and you will then add more if you want when onboard

Certainly makes for a much more relaxed embarkation on Viking and I understand it will be the same on Explora 

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

....especially when it falls into the category of what I'd consider as "don't sweat the small stuff".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A lot of Azamara’s procedures date back to what the Royal Caribbean software system could handle which was basically booking Shorex before boarding with OBC and/or money.

Possibly with the new software the facility to make speciality restaurants before boarding will be introduced sometime in the future but they currently have more important matters to deal with. We’ve never had a problem with the system but others obviously do, although those cruise lines that offer the facility usually do it in stateroom category order if Azamara follows suit given that suites have unlimited speciality dining it could put lower stateroom categories at a disadvantage over the current system.

• Like 4