Continuing Review of Our First Time Azamara Experience Aboard the “Onward” TA, Lisbon to FLL Nov 18-30, 2023

Traveling Fools

Friday, November 17th

Lisbon/Sintra

Today was our last full day in Lisbon.  We had the morning off and didn’t start our excursion until 2 o’clock.

Our first stop of the day was Queluz Palace.  An 18th century royal palace located halfway between Lisbon and Sintra.  It is often referred to as the “Portuguese Versailles”. The Palace and its grounds are beautiful.

image.gif.1c9f27f9faed8b40ab78a95bf004d018.gif

LisbonRoyalPalace-4-GIF.thumb.gif.25b8da95f1a85be68962ddfe7271ac20.gif                            

image.thumb.gif.57e751c04144c15af3952047fb75832d.gif

Tiles inside the palace representing countries on the Portuguese Empire.

From the Palace we were off to the fabled town of Sintra.  As fate would have it, the weather turned foggy and rainy.  Our stop in Sintra was therefore brief.

Next on the agenda was a trip to Cape Roca, the most western point of continental Europe.  Our tour planners did a poor job today scheduling our departure time from the hotel for 2 PM.  The sun was fast setting and the weather remained rainy and foggy; a factor that slowed traffic on the two-lane roads we were traveling. We suggested to Tiago we cancel the stop at the Cape, but he explained he had to make it and that our last stop for our farewell dinner had a set time for our arrival.  Bottomline, when we reached the Cape, it was dark and still rainy and foggy.  The van didn’t stop as it made a U-Turn and headed towards our next stop.

Our final stop for the day was in the coastal town of Cascais.  The weather had cleared and the walk through the town to our restaurant was scenic and enjoyable.  I selected the veal option and enjoyed perhaps the best meal either in Morocco or Lisbon.  It was delicious!

image.thumb.gif.6145833f61c2619f0a585c6cd9aa928c.gif

image.gif.440b12d03ca3c5fd695fc67829bba908.gif

We arrived back at the hotel at about 10 PM.  Several in our group enjoyed a night cap in the lobby bar.  Because they weren’t going to pick us up until 2 o’clock the next afternoon, most of us decided to forgo the tour company’s transfer from the hotel to the cruise port in favor of cabbing it on our own.

Edited by Traveling Fools
Photo Realignment

Saturday, November 18th

Depart Lisbon Aboard the ONWARD

With no reason to rush, DW took our time getting breakfast and repacking.  We left the hotel just after 11 Am and arrived at the cruise terminal at about 11:30. We were among the first there and, after checking our luggage, had to wait until 12:00 before being able to check-in.

Check-in was a breeze.  They assigned us a group number and section to wait in until the actual boarding took place at 2:00.  We burned up the time texting, reading, and visiting the duty-free store.

As many had told me here on CC, boarding was quick and painless.  However, there was no table near the boarding area to make specialty restaurant reservations.  That was to be found on deck 10 inside the Aquilina.  I dropped my hand carry off and immediately went to deck 10.  There was only one couple in front of me when I got there.  I waited 5 or so minutes before it was my turn.  I had to book three Chef’s tables and specialty dining to coordinate with White night and the Best of the Best dinner.  That might have added a minute or two to my reservation experience.  When I stood and turned around to leave, I was stunned at how long the line was.  It stretched from the restaurant all the way out to the elevators.  

That entire goat rope could be eliminated if Azamara implemented on-line restaurant booking and reservations.  Regardless that some Azamara veterans’ opinion that it is a breeze to make reservations after boarding; the fact is that it is only a breeze for those first in line.  Period!   And, oh by the way, having a suite doesn’t mean your butler will be able to secure the dining times you want.  Two of our Travelling companions countered the long line and choice instead to have their butler them for them were not able to book their desired dinning times.

Next on the agenda was unpacking and enjoying some bubbly while in the process. We then chilled for a while before making our way to the Sunset Veranda where we were supposed to meet some of our CC shipmates. 

The original plan was to meet there for cocktails for a sail-away.  Once there we learned because the airport had been fogged in most of the day, the ship’s departure was delayed until passengers on those diverted aircraft arrived.  So, a twilight sail away morphed into a dark evening one; one that conflicted with our, and I’m sure others’, reserved dining time.  We met a couple of our CC shipmates, but just in passing.  The meeting didn’t take on the life I think many of us expected and everyone moved on to dinner or other venues.  On our Roll Call, we had discussed holding a couple of different types of cocktail get togethers, none of which happened.  This meant the bottle of French Costco vodka and a bottle of white port bought specifically for one of those gatherings would be going home with me.  Too bad, I was really looking forward to the port and cheese gathering.

Dinner on our first night was at Prime C. I was full of great expectations.  DW ordered Steak Diane and I ordered a filet.  The appetizers and salads were very good, as was the dessert.  However, our main courses really sucked!  Our waiter totally screwed up our orders.  I was served a New York Strip that was so gristly I couldn’t finish it and DW was served a cut of beef that didn’t come close to being Steak Diane.  We left very disappointed.

After dinner, we roamed the ship and checked out the bars and theater and decided to call it a night.

Just a quick review of the Enrichment Journey Lisbon Excursion. 

Our guide Tiago was excellent!  Ask a question and a comprehensive answer followed. Transportation was very good and comfortable for the 12 of us. The NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade hotel where we stayed was not as fancy as the two Moroccan hotels, but the rooms were spacious, the service was great, and breakfast was outstanding.  If you needed a cab, front desk personnel would give you an estimate charge, go out to the street hail one, and tell them where you wanted to go.  Cabs are metered so it is difficult for the drivers to rip you off.

For the amount of time we had in Lisbon, I think we visited and saw the most pertinent attractions.  On our last full day in Lisbon, the tour operators should have adjusted our pick-up time from 2PM to 12PM.  They need to take into consideration how seasonal changes affect sunrise and sunset.

The meals included in the Excursion were good to great.

I give the Excursion an A…..I would have given them an A+, but for late hour we arrived at Sintra and Cape Cape Roca.

Would I book another Enrichment Journey?  Yes, and already have two future ones booked. 

The first is in March 2024.  A 27-day excursion, 5 in Rio and 22-days aboard Oceania’s Marina from Rio to Miami with stops along the Brazilian coast, up the Amazon, and onward to Miami with stops at Barbados and Antiqua.

The second is in Jan and Feb 2025 to South Africa.  10-days in various locations, including Johannesburg, Victoria Falls, 2-game drives in the Kamapa Game Reserve, and excursions in and around Cape Town.  Following that we will board Azamara’s Quest for a 12 night cruise to South African and Mozambique ports.

• Like 2

A couple of thoughts - was there not a Cruise Critic get together advertised in the Insider. Azamara usually arranges a venue and provides drinks.

Secondly if the waiter messes your order up, or you are not happy with a dish, send it back, or ask to speak to the maitre d. A New York strip instead of a fillet steak is just not acceptable!

Thanks for your great and detailed review, really enjoying reading it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2023 at 8:57 PM, Traveling Fools said:

Saturday, November 18th

Depart Lisbon Aboard the ONWARD

With no reason to rush, DW took our time getting breakfast and repacking.  We left the hotel just after 11 Am and arrived at the cruise terminal at about 11:30. We were among the first there and, after checking our luggage, had to wait until 12:00 before being able to check-in.

Check-in was a breeze.  They assigned us a group number and section to wait in until the actual boarding took place at 2:00.  We burned up the time texting, reading, and visiting the duty-free store.

As many had told me here on CC, boarding was quick and painless.  However, there was no table near the boarding area to make specialty restaurant reservations.  That was to be found on deck 10 inside the Aquilina.  I dropped my hand carry off and immediately went to deck 10.  There was only one couple in front of me when I got there.  I waited 5 or so minutes before it was my turn.  I had to book three Chef’s tables and specialty dining to coordinate with White night and the Best of the Best dinner.  That might have added a minute or two to my reservation experience.  When I stood and turned around to leave, I was stunned at how long the line was.  It stretched from the restaurant all the way out to the elevators.  

That entire goat rope could be eliminated if Azamara implemented on-line restaurant booking and reservations.  Regardless that some Azamara veterans’ opinion that it is a breeze to make reservations after boarding; the fact is that it is only a breeze for those first in line.  Period!   And, oh by the way, having a suite doesn’t mean your butler will be able to secure the dining times you want.  Two of our Travelling companions countered the long line and choice instead to have their butler them for them were not able to book their desired dinning times.

Next on the agenda was unpacking and enjoying some bubbly while in the process. We then chilled for a while before making our way to the Sunset Veranda where we were supposed to meet some of our CC shipmates. 

The original plan was to meet there for cocktails for a sail-away.  Once there we learned because the airport had been fogged in most of the day, the ship’s departure was delayed until passengers on those diverted aircraft arrived.  So, a twilight sail away morphed into a dark evening one; one that conflicted with our, and I’m sure others’, reserved dining time.  We met a couple of our CC shipmates, but just in passing.  The meeting didn’t take on the life I think many of us expected and everyone moved on to dinner or other venues.  On our Roll Call, we had discussed holding a couple of different types of cocktail get togethers, none of which happened.  This meant the bottle of French Costco vodka and a bottle of white port bought specifically for one of those gatherings would be going home with me.  Too bad, I was really looking forward to the port and cheese gathering.

Dinner on our first night was at Prime C. I was full of great expectations.  DW ordered Steak Diane and I ordered a filet.  The appetizers and salads were very good, as was the dessert.  However, our main courses really sucked!  Our waiter totally screwed up our orders.  I was served a New York Strip that was so gristly I couldn’t finish it and DW was served a cut of beef that didn’t come close to being Steak Diane.  We left very disappointed.

After dinner, we roamed the ship and checked out the bars and theater and decided to call it a night.

Just a quick review of the Enrichment Journey Lisbon Excursion. 

Our guide Tiago was excellent!  Ask a question and a comprehensive answer followed. Transportation was very good and comfortable for the 12 of us. The NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade hotel where we stayed was not as fancy as the two Moroccan hotels, but the rooms were spacious, the service was great, and breakfast was outstanding.  If you needed a cab, front desk personnel would give you an estimate charge, go out to the street hail one, and tell them where you wanted to go.  Cabs are metered so it is difficult for the drivers to rip you off.

For the amount of time we had in Lisbon, I think we visited and saw the most pertinent attractions.  On our last full day in Lisbon, the tour operators should have adjusted our pick-up time from 2PM to 12PM.  They need to take into consideration how seasonal changes affect sunrise and sunset.

The meals included in the Excursion were good to great.

I give the Excursion an A…..I would have given them an A+, but for late hour we arrived at Sintra and Cape Cape Roca.

Would I book another Enrichment Journey?  Yes, and already have two future ones booked. 

The first is in March 2024.  A 27-day excursion, 5 in Rio and 22-days aboard Oceania’s Marina from Rio to Miami with stops along the Brazilian coast, up the Amazon, and onward to Miami with stops at Barbados and Antiqua.

The second is in Jan and Feb 2025 to South Africa.  10-days in various locations, including Johannesburg, Victoria Falls, 2-game drives in the Kamapa Game Reserve, and excursions in and around Cape Town.  Following that we will board Azamara’s Quest for a 12 night cruise to South African and Mozambique ports.

We had a similar debacle in booking specialities on the cruise we are currently on.  We were also 2nd in line and there was only one desk for well over 5 minutes and the line grew and grew.  Our check in was based purely on who the terminal staff judged had been sat there the longest and we were then sent for the safety briefing on boarding before being able to do anything else.  That in itself would work beautifully if priority boarded first and/or had been able to book ‘stuff’ ahead.  We actually spent over 3 hours on our first afternoon trying to sort dinner reservations, packages, excursions, Wi-Fi not connecting, etc.  When you consider what you have paid as part of your holiday for that afternoon, it is ludicrous,  We ended up completely stressed and exhausted before the ship had even left port.  

1 hour ago, Werangels said:

We had a similar debacle in booking specialities on the cruise we are currently on.  We were also 2nd in line and there was only one desk for well over 5 minutes and the line grew and grew.  Our check in was based purely on who the terminal staff judged had been sat there the longest and we were then sent for the safety briefing on boarding before being able to do anything else.  That in itself would work beautifully if priority boarded first and/or had been able to book ‘stuff’ ahead.  We actually spent over 3 hours on our first afternoon trying to sort dinner reservations, packages, excursions, Wi-Fi not connecting, etc.  When you consider what you have paid as part of your holiday for that afternoon, it is ludicrous,  We ended up completely stressed and exhausted before the ship had even left port.  

You can book excursions beforehand, and packages, it’s only dinner reservations you can’t book beforehand.

• Like 2

On 12/28/2023 at 3:20 PM, Grandma Cruising said:

A couple of thoughts - was there not a Cruise Critic get together advertised in the Insider. Azamara usually arranges a venue and provides drinks.

Secondly if the waiter messes your order up, or you are not happy with a dish, send it back, or ask to speak to the maitre d. A New York strip instead of a fillet steak is just not acceptable!

The Cruise Director on our current Onward cruise (Eric) told us that Azamara no longer supports Cruise Critic get togethers. There was no listing in the Insider. We did arrange a get together on our roll call.  Eric was nice enough to announce the event, but it was during sailaway and many people missed it. We arranged our own space in the card room. No drinks served.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

You can book excursions beforehand, and packages, it’s only dinner reservations you can’t book beforehand.

I wanted to use OBC to pay for the package so had to do it on arrival.  We would still have had to queue at guest relations to sort the Wi-Fi out and the queues were huge.

8 hours ago, tgg said:

The Cruise Director on our current Onward cruise (Eric) told us that Azamara no longer supports Cruise Critic get togethers. There was no listing in the Insider. We did arrange a get together on our roll call.  Eric was nice enough to announce the event, but it was during sailaway and many people missed it. We arranged our own space in the card room. No drinks served.

I wonder when that happened. We had one on our November//December Journey cruise. It was in Insider, the Cruise Director (Darren Lynton) turned up to say hello and I spoke to the F & B manager about drinks and there were plenty provided.

I honestly do not recall a CC get together advertised.  There may have been, I just don't know.

Been there done that.  This was not the night to do that.  DW and were both tired and just want to eat and leave.  The waiter was in over his head and was talking over me when I placed the order.  It was my sense this may have been his first night waiting in a specialty restaurant.

• Like 1

Sunday, November 19th to Saturday, November 25th

At Sea Aboard the ONWARD

Sunday, November 19th, At Sea

I failed yesterday to name the offices of the ship:

Captain Carl Smith, Hotel Director Tatiana Morello, Staff Captain Daniele Epuras, Chief Engineer Hans Jense (who had his parents on board), Human Resources Manage Valerie Contreras, Cruise Director Eric De Gray, and Concierge Kathja Romantico.

Sometime last night the ocean became very angry!  Our ship was tossed around and bounced up and down with enough force you could hear the ship slamming back into the ocean.  During the day, the ocean kind of smoothed out and you could walk around.

Today I encountered a very rude couple, that if reading this review should be embarrassed of themselves!  The weather was nice and warm, so at lunch I went onto the Sunset Veranda to wait for a table to open.  There was one fellow in front of me who, after 5 minutes, was able to snag a table.  I had to wait longer for one to open.  When it did, a couple younger than me walked out of the Windows Café, right by me to claim it.  I explained to them I had been waiting and was next in line for an open table. They rudely dismissed me and sat down.  I mentioned their lack of courtesy and etiquette and walked back to wait for another table to open.  As the wife, or female companion, was walking into Windows she told me I could join them.  Knowing I wouldn’t enjoy sitting with them and that I was waiting for others to join me, I declined the invitation.

Because this was my first Azamara cruise I began wondering if what I perceived to be a better than thou attitude would be the norm of other passengers.  Something I witnessed on an Oceania cruise.  Fortunately, they turned out to be the rare exception and everyone else we encountered were friendly and outgoing.

Heavy swells were causing motion sickness with DW.  I encountered a couple of our former travel companions who shared that their spouses were also suffering from motion sickness.  I began noticing many other passengers wearing patches behind their ears and others wearing bands on their wrists.  I went to the small store and found their motion sickness remedies, Bonnie, patches, and wrist bands.  I then went into a state of sticker shock when read the price tags.  The price for the wrist ban was $25.00.  Bonnie was around $12, so I bought it.  An hour or so after taking it, DW began to feel better.

While exploring the ship, I encountered and met Dr. David and his wife Sandie.  Dr. David is a frequent poster on the Azamara page and is the veteran of many Azamara cruises.

Checked in at Guest Services to see how much OBC we had.  I was thrilled to find we had over $1,300.  Gave us lots of options on what to spend it on.

I went to charge my tablet and couldn’t find the charger I bought in Lisbon.  I checked all the surface areas in the suite and all our stowed luggage with no luck.  It was perplexing to think I left it our Lisbon hotel room!

We had an excellent dinner in Aqualina.  DW wanted to order a glass of the German dry Riesling but was told she would have to purchase the entire bottle ($30 plus).  We reminded the sommelier we had the Ultimate Package.  He informed us the Riesling was not part of the package.  I was disturbed learning that.  It was my impression that upgrading to the Ultimate Beverage package included all premium drinks and wines.  Later I checked what was and wasn’t offered in the Ultimate package and found Reisling Kabinett, Mosel (Germany) was in fact listed as an included wine. That was one of my specific reasons for upgrading to the Ultimate Package.  Oh, and by the way, I also was charged extra for ordering a Grappa. I guess, unlike other cruise lines, the Ultimate Package isn’t all that Ultimate!

Afterward dinner we went to the Den for drinks. We arrived in time to snag the ending set of Piano Sing Along with Bob.  We were given song books and asked to join in.  While Bob took his break, we got to know the people sitting next to us at the bar, as well as the bar tender Wayan.

image.thumb.gif.3848a33bcb1eeb30a3fc3c03a2582af1.gif

Reminded us of when we lived in Tokyo and the Last Friday Night at Air's Lamp Light Bar.  Jesuit Priest Father Bill Curry would arrive at about 9 PM, hand out his song book and we would all sing along through the early Saturday hours.  Ari's was always jammed pack with ex-pats and you had to get there about 5:30 to get a seat and table, or seat at the piano. 

After two sets with Bob, we decided to retire for the night.

Monday November 20th, At Sea

Once again, the seas were very angry.  I take meds to sleep, but I could still feel the movement and subliminally hear the ship slamming back down into the ocean.  DW, who doesn’t take sleep meds, found she couldn’t sleep and went into the living room to watch TV.

Sometime after 7 AM (that’s when coffee was delivered), the ship hit a really big swell that knocked over a cabinet and caused a full cup of coffee to fall off the table, breaking both the saucer and cup.  Rough seas were the norm for the day making it a hold onto the banister day.

Our room attendant and a maintenance man arrived at our suite at about 9 to screw the cabinet that tipped over to the wall.  Good thing the cabinet fell over as I found my tablet charger.  It had slipped behind the cabinet on Saturday night when the heavy seas cause it to begin shifting. I knew I had packed the damn thing and was certain I had plugged it into one of the European sockets.  What a relief!

We have decided to eliminate a full breakfast from our daily routine and instead opt for coffee and Danishes in the morning.  Followed by a lite lunch and a full dinner.  Our systems just can’t metabolize three full meals a day aboard ship.  This afternoon it was lunch at Windows Café with an ocean view table and didn’t have to pay extra to get it.

In the afternoon DW and I spent some of our OBC playing bingo hoping to win a cruise.  It didn’t happen, so we had coffee, returned to the suite and took a nap.

Tonight, was the French Chef’s Table.  It was excellent!

image.thumb.gif.102fc0c38ab72f22c1fdfce3c27ee871.gif

image.thumb.gif.80d445b190dcb14aae7ba6c06686d2c8.gif

image.thumb.gif.8b8d8f8a4c68a84a551915666425a298.gif

image.thumb.gif.f742be67fe5b394ad8eeb8d3126cb0d9.gif

image.thumb.gif.84edb4d6b1a2655e1667aeae95841bda.gif

image.thumb.gif.fbad7767cb22cefe64d634ebe8975891.gif

Tuesday November 21st, At Sea

Seas remain rough and the bough of the ship continues to rise from the sea and SLAM back down.

We encounter heavy squalls of rain soaking all uncovered areas of the ship.  Sometimes the rain peppers our balcony sliding doors as if it was shot from a cannon.

We spent some of our OBC on a massage for DW and haircut for me.  DW insisted I schedule a massage, which I did for the next day.

For lunch, we went to Discoveries.  They served a Mexican style buffet being served by the ship’s senior staff…Captain included. It was very good!

Dinner tonight was the Italian Chef’s Table. They didn’t start the service for over 30 minutes after we were seated.  Found out they were doing two chef’s tables simultaneously: our table and a table in Prime C.

image.thumb.gif.bb22196cf98b3ed206a71b14a1f586cc.gif

DW and I were disappointed with Italian Chef’s table.  We found the food somewhat bland and nothing special.  The wine pairings were good.  Plus, service just drug on and on.  We were there until after 10.

After dinner, we had a couple of night caps in the Den before calling it a night.

Wednesday, November 22nd, At Sea

I was up earlier than usual to have coffee and a Danish before going to the Spa for my massage.  The masseuse worked on me for about 90 minutes and I left feeling very refreshed.

We ate our lunch at Windows.  Enjoyed a coffee at Mosaic and spent some OBC shopping.

We were honored to have been invited to dine with the senior officers at the Best of the Best dinner.  Not only was the meal sumptuous, but the service was also immaculate!  The waiters were all synchronized whenever they placed a course in front of us.  Just like to see in Downton Abby!  We thoroughly enjoyed our tablemates sitting across from us.  We hit it off and laughed about different things all through dinner.  We ended up either meeting for cocktails and sharing a table with them at dinner, or meeting for drinks pre or post dinner.  It was a most enjoyable evening!

image.thumb.gif.a9af36a6bbaa79473e705956b8e8e466.gif

image.thumb.gif.dd6b6a50bae0f3f34d7aee7368365535.gif

After dinner, we slipped into the Cabaret Lounge and caught the last 20 minutes or so of the evening show.  What we saw was very entertaining!

Thursday, November 23rd, At Sea

Another routine day at sea.  The seas remained very rough, prompting us to remain in the suite most of the afternoon reading and taking it easy.

Before dinner, we had cocktails in the Atlas bar.  This was our first visit there and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Dinner tonight was at Aqualina. Here is a link to the menus for both Aqualina and Prime 😄 https://www.azamara.com/our-ships/onboard-dining We shared a table with two our Enrichment Journey tourmates.  Other than Tuna Tartar, I can’t remember what DW ordered.  I also ordered the Tartar, can’t remember what in between that and the veal chop I ordered.  We both ordered the hazelnut souffle for dessert.  Both of us thought the entire meal was excellent!

After dinner we slipped back into the Atlas bar for drinks.  We found our newfound friends from the Best of the Best dinner and spent the remainder of the evening drinking, talking, and just having fun.

Friday, November 24th, At Sea

Seas continue to give us all a roller coaster ride.  Though nothing could be done about them, everyone was becoming dreary of that ride.

No change in our daily routine.

Had pre-dinner cocktails at the Atlas Bar where we joined up with our new friends.  Dinner was the second French Chef’s Table I had booked.  Once again, it was excellent!

Saturday, November 25th, At Sea

Seas started to lay down in the afternoon and into the evening.  Must have had something to do with our approaching Bermuda.

Typical day.

Pre-dinner cocktails at the Atlas bar.  We met up with two of our favorite Enrichment Journey traveling companions.  They had always talked about having a French 75.  As they were the cocktail of the day, I ordered each and me one. DW stuck with wine.  While I drank mine, I didn’t particularly care for the taste and shifted back to Macallan.

Dinner was at Prime C.  DW and I enjoyed a chateaubriand.  It was excellent as were the appetizers (Tuna Tartar and Tempura Shrimp), Lobster Bisque, sauteed mushrooms, steak fries, and the Cholate Fondu. 

After dinner, the four of us went to the Cabaret Lounge to enjoy the floor show.  Again, unlike Oceania, I found the show to be very entertaining.  I was surprised to see the Cruise Director Eric was taking an active part in the performance.

image.gif

• Like 1

Sunday November 26th to Monday November 27th

Hamilton, Bermuda

I forgot to post the recipe for the French 75: 

image.thumb.gif.6e6b17cb0e1d0cd088b1334ae0b5ca11.gif

Sunday, November 26th

Woke up as we were entering Hamilton Harbor.  DW was up before and out on the balcony with a cup of coffee.  Waters were smooth and as we approached the dock, we wondered what direction we would be docking.  As we entered the turning basin, the Captain engaged the bow thrusters and we pivoted around and docked on the starboard side.

It was Sunday morning and Front Street was empty.

image.thumb.gif.8e15aeec2be023a59ceabf735cc45098.gif

Before disembarking, DW and I ventured up to Aqualina for breakfast.  It was excellent.

After eating and being given the all clear to go ashore, we did just that.  Once ashore, I almost turned around to go back to the suite to get the Bonny.  The land wasn’t stabilized causing me to walk like a drunken sailor.

Because it was Sunday, not very much was open.  We walked up Front Street for about a quarter of a mile before turning around. I had noticed what appeared like the proverbial Tee Shirt Shop on one of the side streets we had passed.  We walked to it and joined the crowd from the ship buy souvenirs of our visit to Bermuda.  We got a couple for the kids and headed back to the ship.

Along the way we saw some people driving around in small side by side hard top enclosed electric scooter and immediately knew we had to rent one.  DW took our plunder up to the suite, got her driver’s license and came back down. We hailed a local, friendly cab driver who dropped us off at the “Current” rental kiosk for the scooter. All we had to do was download their app, place our reservation, determine how long we wanted to rent the scooter, check-it out, and we were on our way.  Of course, there was an employee on site to help us throughout the process.

image.thumb.gif.b7f51a7455e05af3ac8d8f861b4edf36.gif

DW had lived in Bermuda in the late 60’s and wanted to revisit old stomping grounds.  See knew her way around the Island and we were on our way. We drove to all the nooks and crannies on the Island and stopped to view from the street one of the places she and her 1st had lived.  The primary tenant then had been the GM in Bermuda for what was then known as BOAC (British Overseas Airline Company).  Here is a link to an old listing for the place: https://www.facebook.com/ThePropertyGroup.Bermuda/posts/for-sale-willoughbyprice-3395000built-in-the-early-1800s-this-baileys-bay-landma/3658147870934123/

She and her husband rented an apartment belonging to the house.

I was able to take this photo of the Onward from across the harbor where we were docked. 

image.gif.3550ce970d46b5f5b54606b29fe787f0.gif

We stopped at the Shipyards and had lunch at Bone Fish ($60.00 for fish and chips).  There was a large NCL ship at dock and some of its passengers were inside the restaurant.  They were waiting for their orders and had to eat them on their way to the ship as it was getting ready to depart.  They told us it was late arriving that morning and had a 2 PM departure time.  Why even stop?!?

After eating we began our drive back to Hamilton, but stopped along the road next to the airport to watch what turned out to be a military C-17 coming in for a landing.

After all that excitement, it was back to the rental kiosk where we turned in our scooter and then returned to the ship.

Our cruise out of Hamilton Harbor was relaxing and interesting.  Once clear of the dock and into the main channel, the channel narrowed and meandered, taking us out to sea.  We toasted Hamilton as we left. 

image.thumb.gif.4a395073c1740bb57e8f9a8295dd0106.gif

image.thumb.gif.d28ea98172307d2261875f92107237a7.gif

Dinner was at Aqualina.  I can’t remember what DW had, but I ordered another Veal chop.  We both thoroughly enjoyed dinner.

image.thumb.gif.054f8b425c82575efd725811eb7b7a33.gif

Afterwards we met friends at the Atlas where we enjoyed the rest of the evening.

image.gif

• Like 2

We’ve had similar issues to you regarding what wines are included in the Ultimate package and with trying to get them. It’s a good idea to ask at Guest Relations for a copy of what is in the Ultimate package. 

Edited by Grandma Cruising
  • Like 2

I failed to mention White Night,

White Night was held on the evening of Nov 24th at sea.

This was our first White Night so we really didn't know what to expect.  We both dressed in white and about 10 minutes before it started we went up to the pool deck.  Bad on us for not anticipating a majority of the passengers had already staked out tables.  Yup, all the prime tables and most of the others were already taken.  And guests were already queuing up at the food service tables. 

Things were getting crowded. We chatted with the Captain and other staff we had met.  The Captain was standing behind a Weber Grill grilling away.  We were quite impressed.  Anyway, given we had missed the White Night boat, so to speak, we ambled on to eat else where.

In a way we lucked out because the skies opened with a drenching rain forcing operations on the pool deck to be shut down.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2023 at 11:00 PM, Traveling Fools said:

Thursday, November 16th

Lisbon

I forgot to mention that upon returning to the hotel yesterday, we observed that Gucci store window had been smashed in a couple of places.  DW went into the store and asked what happened.  She was told tow teenagers who were part of a crowd of protesters hit the window with hammers.  DW said the employees and manager dismissed as teenage mischief.

image.thumb.jpeg.93b5d42b6263fb6cba77669e4a1de09b.jpeg

This was a short day with plenty of personal time.

After breakfast, DW and I split up.  DW met with Arzu, one of our surrogate daughters from Kuwait.  Arzu is the daughter of Turkish diplomats and now lives in Lisbon full time.  Arzu, took DW on her own specialized tour of Lisbon, including a cruise on the river Tagus.  What I saw on land, DW saw from the river. 

image.thumb.gif.c954fa4cb72e0545c94a74e710294614.gif

My group drove to the riverfront and visited the Monument to the Discoverers, the Belem Tower, and other riverfront attractions, including a stop at the bakery that produces the Pastel del Belum pastries.  It, of course, was crowded with tourists!

image.thumb.gif.8846525eaf35d3ef26876088ae593954.gif

image.thumb.gif.2c14e96af84c69567933517dc2ab4e38.gif

image.thumb.gif.a28e45ea01b2b7f812de3af40a86eb62.gif

image.thumb.gif.96b4503dcc3b52c31f911b7218ac869d.gif

image.thumb.gif.adc9edad6bc0a5ec2afedd3a776dc374.gif

image.thumb.gif.3b8c7f1d6a59ee1bd03ca1765e1c03cf.gif

From the riverfront we crossed the street to visit the Jeronimos Monastery and the very interesting Maritime Museum.  For those who didn’t know or forgot, Portugal has a rich history of exploration and navigation, including icons like Henry the Navigator and Vasco de Gama. The Portuguese empire stretched worldwide.  Of note is that in 1815, the King of Portugal transferred the Portuguese capital from Lisbon to Rio de Janeiro.  The following photo is the little royal skiff that transported the royal family from shore to the ship taking them to Brazil. 

image.thumb.gif.2a00c3570dd59df7e84e1b93b7e87796.gif

Following our visit to the Maritime Museum, we returned to the riverfront and enjoyed a good lunch at the Doca de Santo’s

After lunch, we returned to the hotel.  I chilled and napped. DW didn’t return from her visit with Arzu until after 8 PM.  We spent the rest of the night avoiding chatter and relaxing.

Sorry to ask...what is DW?

Tuesday, November 28th and Wednesday, November 29th   

At Sea Aboard the ONWARD

Our last two days at sea were very similar to the previous sea days.  The exception being we were blessed with really calm seas!

One event worth noting was the bridge tour we were invited to attend.  It was hosted by our Captain and without question was the absolute best one we have ever been on.  It truly left an impression on us.

The last floor show of the trip was also memorable.

Not only did Mother Nature bless us with calm seas, she gave us two fantastic sunsets.

SunsetatSea-26GIFx.thumb.gif.826d32276276af4f8f3a13d1e0a7f36c.gif

SunsetatSea-24GIF.thumb.gif.17df35d4ff85347f49dc61bdd7a59778.gif

image.thumb.gif.3fb905a7cbe7396c05d876130a453b25.gif

image.thumb.gif.a9a211f49b5cb99a80b0e74a0fcd4607.gif

image.thumb.gif.0f387a6390217903aea6d6e7f98bd873.gif

Thursday, November 30th

Disembarkation at Port Everglades

Disembarkation at Port Everglades was painless and short.  It didn’t take long at all for us to clear Immigration and Customs. 

While on board, we purchased a transfer from the ship to MIA, where we had parked our car.  The large bus was less than ½ full so there was plenty of room for all of us.  We encountered some rush hour traffic, but nothing to grumble about.  We were let out of the bus at the American Airline terminal and only need to cross the street to find our car.

When we parked no parking ticket was dispensed from the machine.  As a Florida resident with a Disabled Veteran license plate, I don’t get charged for parking at airport or cruise ship terminals and anticipated a battle with the parking authority regarding the number of days we had parked in their facility (not that it would matter).  When we entered the parking lot DW had inserted a credit card into the parking ticket dispenser.  We did not know that between recording our CC and license plate number our date and time of entry into the parking facility had been recorded. Had we not required the assistance of a parking attendant to confirm my VA status and process our parking data, all we would have had to do would have been insert the card we had used to gain entry and our account would have been automatically charged based upon the data recorded when we had entered.  In other words, no ticket was required to have been dispensed. 

Our drive home was traffic free and uneventful.  I’m still puzzled why it has taken so long to reestablish a sense of routine.  Returning home to prep for the holidays, etc. probably has had a lot to do with it.

What’s next?  We (me, DW, DD, SIL, GD, & GS) leave here at 3 this afternoon for a road trip to Port Canaveral where tomorrow we will board NCL’s Escape for a week of fun in the Caribbean.

Our Impressions of Azamara

While able to pay for an upgraded beverage package and bundle of Chef's tables on-line pre-cruise, actual dining reservations could not be made until after boarding.  Reservations were made at a single table in one of the specialty restaurants on a first come first served basis. Azamara needs to address this issue and implement a system that prioritizes the level of accommodations booked and loyalty status. 

Check-in was quick. Boarding (regardless of class of cabin/suite) did not start until 2:00 PM. And done by class of cabin/suite and loyalty status groups.  It was quick and easy.  We liked how the safety briefing was conducted by boarding groups rather than a post boarding goat rope consisting of all passengers.  The briefing by group is probably more efficient that a general post boarding briefing.

We liked the layout and size of our suite (same class as a RS).  The balcony was spacious and when the seas were calm was a great place to enjoy the sun and ocean.

With one exception, we found our fellow shipmates to be friendly, congenial, and unpretentious.  That adult attitude contributes to a more enjoyable experience.

The crew were astonishing and took no time remembering our names and preferences. Our butler and cabin attended were always there for us and did a great job!

This was the first cruise we have ever been on where we noticed the CD actually doing something other than being that annoying voice on a microphone that interrupts the movie you’re watching and being an integral part of the stage entertainment. 

While on board entertainment can't be compared to big ship Vegas style reviews, it far surpassed what we experienced on Oceania.  Could be because the CD was involved.

The food was good to great. The Italian Chef's Table wasn't worth the money paid for it, but the French Chef's table was excellent.  The best of the best dinner was phenomenal!

We have had two really fantasticate Captains on our cruises.  The first was on our TP crossing from Japan to Vancouver in 2017 aboard the Millennium.  The second was aboard this cruise and he topped the Mille's Captain. Captain Smith was involved with the passengers and conducted the bridge tour...the most comprehensive one we have been on!

Onboard shopping was limited and didn't provide the distraction the number of shops found on larger ships does on sea days.

On Azamara, regardless of if you have a beverage package, there is no restriction on bringing alcoholic beverages aboard, either at the time of initial boarding or at ports of call.

Disembarkation was a breeze.

Would we consider Azamara again?  Yes.  We have another cruise booked with them in February 2025.

Would we recommend Azamara, Yes.

image.gif

Sunset at Sea-38GIFx.gif

Sunset at Sea-26GIFx.gif

Sunset at Sea-38GIFx.gif

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Traveling Fools said:

Our Impressions of Azamara

While able to pay for an upgraded beverage package and bundle of Chef's tables on-line pre-cruise, actual dining reservations could not be made until after boarding.  Reservations were made at a single table in one of the specialty restaurants on a first come first served basis. Azamara needs to address this issue and implement a system that prioritizes the level of accommodations booked and loyalty status. 

Even though our loyalty status and usual cabin class would put us at the front, we definitely do not want the Oceania program that lots of things are based on cabin class.  We believe everyone should have the same shot at specialty dining.  

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Even though our loyalty status and usual cabin class would put us at the front, we definitely do not want the Oceania program that lots of things are based on cabin class.  We believe everyone should have the same shot at specialty dining.  

I'm totally with you. It's one of the things I like about Azamara. And I too would be at the front of the queue with my loyalty status. That said I've never in all my Azamara cruises had an issue. Maybe once or twice I needed to be flexible. No problem. 

Phil 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I'm totally with you. It's one of the things I like about Azamara. And I too would be at the front of the queue with my loyalty status. That said I've never in all my Azamara cruises had an issue. Maybe once or twice I needed to be flexible. No problem. 

Phil 

Totally agree!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2024 at 3:37 AM, Grandma Cruising said:

We’ve had similar issues to you regarding what wines are included in the Ultimate package and with trying to get them. It’s a good idea to ask at Guest Relations for a copy of what is in the Ultimate package. 

Retuned Sunday the 14rh from an NCL Caribbean cruise..in the Haven with an Premium (Ultimate) Drink package.  While I could order as many Jonny Walker Blue drinks as I wanted.  Some wines were sold by the bottle only and were not included in the Premium package.  However, they were offered in a separate Wine package.   

Another example of a slight of hand, Nickle and Dime you misrepresentation of what is exactly not included in a beverage package.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Much appreciated the thorough review. We are contemplating a first on Azamara cruise and appreciated hearing your reactions and experiences. Think you did an admirable job of shrugging off the observer critics who chose your review to strut their stuff.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Croooser said:

Much appreciated the thorough review. We are contemplating a first on Azamara cruise and appreciated hearing your reactions and experiences. Think you did an admirable job of shrugging off the observer critics who chose your review to strut their stuff.

Thanks again.

Thank-you Croooser.

On Jan 17th we returned from an NCL cruise DW and I took our daughter, husband, and 2 children on.  We booked suites in the Haven.  In the past, we have been big fans of NCL and the Haven.  But, this last cruise with NCL was a bit of a disappointment.  Enough so that DW and I are are reconsidering our relationship with NCL.

We have also been big fans of X and have a Greek intensive booked with them this Sept to celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary.  The only reason for booking with X is they were the only line whose itinerary was what we wanted and matched our anniversary date.

Since returning from our Azamara cruise, DW and I have discussed how we rather enjoyed the size of the ship and ,with one exception, the friendly, unpretentiousness of our shipmates.  We also liked the food.  We have concluded to lean toward Azamara when considering future cruises.

• Like 6