Live from the Silver Nova 8-21-23 to 9-1-23 Venice to Rome!!

A Tucson Guy

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from A TUCSON GUY! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

A Tucson Guy was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

We are boarding the Nova this Monday and I will try to share some of our experiences with this new ship. If anybody else is on the same cruise, please feel free to chime in. I will TRY and answer any questions, time permitting. We fly out this Friday morning. We used SS business air and I am pleased so far with the routing. We fly Tucson, AZ to Dallas/Fort Worth to Philadelphia and then direct to Venice. I am so glad we aren't going through Heathrow as that is always a challenge. We booked through SS two nights pre-cruise at the

Hilton Molino Stucky Venice and we have not stayed there before and it looks lovely. We are having dinner at La Dame on the first night and I will report on the dinner and was it worth the $320 per couple. Time to finish up some business and check our packing. Bon Voyage!!

Edited by A Tucson Guy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 7

9 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Hilton Molino Stucky Venice

It is lovely, and the location on Guidecca Island makes it quiet and tourist-free.  But that location also means you need to add time to get to the main island for every thing. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It is lovely, and the location on Guidecca Island makes it quiet and tourist-free.  But that location also means you need to add time to get to the main island for every thing. 

Thank you. We have been to Venice before and have seen all the tourist hot spots and crowds so this trip we will just walk around and take in the sights.

• Like 1

Tucson Guy; Would appreciate it if you could check when you get aboard as to if the Head of Housekeeping is Karthik Thangavelu. Your butler will know. He's a good friend of ours and he's supposed to be in that position. I've tried to e-mail him several times, but gotten no response. Don't know if he's changed his e-mail or not. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dougburns said:

Tucson Guy; Would appreciate it if you could check when you get aboard as to if the Head of Housekeeping is Karthik Thangavelu. Your butler will know. He's a good friend of ours and he's supposed to be in that position. I've tried to e-mail him several times, but gotten no response. Don't know if he's changed his e-mail or not. Thanks in advance.

Can do.

If you walk to the right when you go out of the Hilton, there are some very nice restaurants right on the canal.  The hotel restaurant is also quite good, and the breakfast buffet is wonderful, or at least it was pre-covid. 

55 minutes ago, RachelG said:

If you walk to the right when you go out of the Hilton, there are some very nice restaurants right on the canal.  The hotel restaurant is also quite good, and the breakfast buffet is wonderful, or at least it was pre-covid. 

Thanks.

57 minutes ago, RachelG said:

One night we have a dinner ressie at Trattoria Ai Cacciatori

• Like 1

On 8/16/2023 at 9:51 AM, A Tucson Guy said:

We are boarding the Nova this Monday and I will try to share some of our experiences with this new ship. If anybody else is on the same cruise, please feel free to chime in. I will TRY and answer any questions, time permitting. We fly out this Friday morning. We used SS business air and I am pleased so far with the routing. We fly Tucson, AZ to Dallas/Fort Worth to Philadelphia and then direct to Venice. I am so glad we aren't going through Heathrow as that is always a challenge. We booked through SS two nights pre-cruise at the

Hilton Molino Stucky Venice and we have not stayed there before and it looks lovely. We are having dinner at La Dame on the first night and I will report on the dinner and was it worth the $320 per couple. Time to finish up some business and check our packing. Bon Voyage!!

Can you take a video of the room if it is not a room type that videos already exist for? (I'm really looking for a video from someone in an Otium suite!)

On 8/18/2023 at 11:34 AM, Lookingtocruise42 said:

Can you take a video of the room if it is not a room type that videos already exist for? (I'm really looking for a video from someone in an Otium suite!)

We’re booked in that suite, but not until December from Lima.  We tried to book it from Cartagena but couldn’t do the add on so we’re in a different suite until Lima when we move to the suite.  

49 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

We’re booked in that suite, but not until December from Lima.  We tried to book it from Cartagena but couldn’t do the add on so we’re in a different suite until Lima when we move to the suite.  

It’s odd, some sailings that is the most expensive suite, and some there is a different suite that seems the most expensive.

we are doing it in May for Alaska as we thought looking at the glaciers on that huge balcony in a hot tub could be a lot of fun.

does having the more expensive room types on SS usually make it easier to assure you can get in to activities/dining/spa/etc? I know on most lines it does, but I have not seen anything reflecting that with SS

6 hours ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

It’s odd, some sailings that is the most expensive suite, and some there is a different suite that seems the most expensive.

we are doing it in May for Alaska as we thought looking at the glaciers on that huge balcony in a hot tub could be a lot of fun.

does having the more expensive room types on SS usually make it easier to assure you can get in to activities/dining/spa/etc? I know on most lines it does, but I have not seen anything reflecting that with SS

People say it doesn’t make a different - but in reality it does.  Just ask your Butler, they can help a lot when you’re in a bigger suite.  The maitre’d  always ask for your suite number, why do you think they do that.  We’ve never had to wait for a table and always got a nice spot in the dining room.  We’ve also when we ask have never not gotten into a restaurant we wanted to eat at—we always make the request early in the day.  If someone has something booked, they won’t move them-nor should they.

But when possible they will get you what you ask for……….

• Like 1

6 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Getting ready to board shortly. I will say that we thought the Hilton Molina Stuckey hotel was fabulous. Great rooms and breakfast. The location is on Giudecca island and much less crowded.

Hi, I believe it is about 2:45pm now in Venice and I am guessing you are on board this new ship. I hope she is even more beautiful in person for you.😀

• Like 1