Alternatives to Celebrity

Islander500

23 hours ago, basenji56 said:

Viking Ocean is very nice.  Small ships.  Food is somewhat better than Celebrity--particularly for breakfast in the dining room.  Spa is free and fantastic.  Entertainment is smaller scale.  Problem is the limited itineraries in the Caribbean.  And payment is generally due a year in advance.  

100% agree. I have looked into a viking Caribbean cruise for January 2025 and the only one that could work for us is out of San Juan, that adds quite a bit of money for a flight from Minnesota. I hear that you can get some money for air, but I do not really understand how it works. That said, I hope to give them a shot in the future.

Mmmhhh, we had always heard that HAL would be equal to Celebrity. So we tried HAL on a Japan cruise for the better itinerary and the better price. We loved the cruise but were disappointed in HAL.

Food in MDR was so so and repetitive after just a few days. Buffet was good though. 
We didn’t like the ship design at all and missed the open spaces inside and outside which we are used to on Celebrity. 

Although we are not party or bar people we were really surprised that we were asked to leave the bar at 9pm because they wanted to close. Bottom line: HAL wasn’t for us and didn’t live up to Celebrity at all.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Mmmhhh, we had always heard that HAL would be equal to Celebrity. So we tried HAL on a Japan cruise for the better itinerary and the better price. We loved the cruise but were disappointed in HAL.

Food in MDR was so so and repetitive after just a few days. Buffet was good though. 
We didn’t like the ship design at all and missed the open spaces inside and outside which we are used to on Celebrity. 

Although we are not party or bar people we were really surprised that we were asked to leave the bar at 9pm because they wanted to close. Bottom line: HAL wasn’t for us and didn’t live up to Celebrity at all.

The old joke is that if HAL cruisers were any older they would be dead. 

• Haha 1

When cruising started back up, our first 9 cruises were exclusively with Celebrity, and we had a great time on all of them. Since April 2022, we have been on 5 more Celebrity cruises as well as 6 Princess and 5 NCL cruises. However, interestingly enough as of right now through the summer of 2025, we have 11 Princess cruises, 5 NCL cruises, and only 1 Celebrity cruise booked to the Galapagos this coming December.

Hopefully one day we'll find some more unique Celebrity itineraries that strike our fancy, maybe even another TA as we still have two "place holder" cruises waiting to be used. But then we're in our early 70s, which is no longer a target demographic from what we can tell, especially after they recently chopped our 13-day March 2025 New Orleans/Caribbean cruise on the Constellation down to 9 days to coincide with their new 2024/25 Caribbean 5-9 night cruising strategy.

Celebrity Cruises Adds Ships and New Itineraries at Florida Ports (cruisehive.com)

But that's cool. It sure is nice to have options. 😉

On 8/16/2023 at 9:22 PM, RainbowRichard said:

I’m very much in the same boat too (excuse the pun), We are in our early to mid forties and have been pretty loyal Celebrity cruisers the last few years - the last few times in Aqua class. We have one booked on Silhouette in September but looking ahead to next year from Southampton UK you are looking at £8k for an aqua class cabin for pretty much the same itinerary as we did in 2019 for £4k. I know prices have increased but double in five years is excessive. We earn good salaries but cannot justify that for a holiday. We went on P&O earlier this year and were pleasantly surprised so we’ll see what Celebrity is like in September and see if the extra for Celebrity  is worth it.  

I posted a question on the P&O UK forum "P&O v's Celebrity"

Some interesting responses.

Good to hear your P&O experience was pleasantly surprising!

We have only ever sailed with Celebrity and have loved every cruise......Inside, Balcony, Concierge & Aqua

However our most recenct one last Sept was a little disappointing. 

We are leaving from Sydney in October on Solstice and will make a decision after that as to who we cruise with next.

As you say, Celebrity prices are excessive and for us it's about what else is out there that is similar but not so expensive!

Thankyou to the OP for this very interesting/helpful post!

• Like 2

Oceania is a good alternative although we would prefer the larger ships & itinerary rich sailings for the extra cash. The food is great which balances the poorer evening entertainment. A good pool vibe (quiet), great lecturers and access to the spa for all. Perfect ships for Antarctica and SA.

Our first cruise after a hiatus was P&O for a weekender and enjoyed it. That was in 2015 and done numerous cruises since but mainly X. The prices are good but I think I would pay out for speciality restaurants on top. Downside of P&O is that it will be almost 100% Brits whilst we like sailing with other nationalities.

We had a great Princess taster 7 nighter in the Med and would compare the enjoyment level with X.

I have 80,000 Virgin points saved for a free Virgin Voyage!! 

• Like 1

I spent a good portion of today looking into Oceania and Silversea as an alternative to an option to replace what I was going to book on Celebrity for my recently cancelled 2025 Equinox South America.  We thought we would do a 2025 India-Sri Lanka-Thailand in place of that (complete switch I know).  This was booked as a "Future cruise onboard booking" so Celebrity said I could actually shift this to another sailing at no fee and keep my $200 deposit for a suite + additional OBC when I called them on it.  So I compared similar itineraries on Oceania and Silversea.  I was surprised that pricing (per night) in categories equivalent to sky suite was very similar.  I was fully expecting Celebrity to be much overpriced.  Although, when I factor in that Oceania and Silversea have some additional dining options and some basic shore excursions included - it may come out ahead.  I am actually considering the Oceania one (if I can convince husband) - but it has a 3 night stop in Myanmar - that seems really odd.  Why 3 nights in Myanmar????  I guess they need to make some timing work for the ports (unless Myanmar has sooo much to do).  

• Thanks 1

This morning I booked our first non-Celebrity cruise with HAL. We’ve always been so happy with Celebrity but too many changes and cancellations caused us to question our loyalty. 
I did look at some of the premium lines mentioned in this thread but they all came out around AUS$3000 per couple more for similar itineraries. That would pay for our shore excursions and then some. 
I do have a FCC from our just canceled Antarctica cruise and may end up simply forgoing it as we won’t be cruising twice in one year. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jelayne said:

Ive been looking at Regent and Seabourn anyone here have any experience on either of them. 

I am a experienced Celebrity cruiser, and have absolutely positive (if not better) experiences with Seabourn.

Seabourn is more exclusive, there is not the constant upselling with "only today" promotions, which I find very annoying and tacky at Celebrity. 

Everything is inclusive, their "basic" wine selection is very very good. One night at the MDR, we were asked by our waiter if we liked the wine, so he could send a bottle up to our room (complimentary!).

They don't know No for an answer. If they don't have it in a bar, they will get it for you at a different bar if they have time and you're kind. 

Unlimited caviar & *real* champagne. Once per cruise a signature event is included. For us it was an evening classical concert in the ruins of Ephesus in turkey. Seabourn rented the whole site, so there were only Seabourn guests there, and all drinks were included.

Some other thins to consider, which to me are not negative:

- Small ship

- Entertainment is more old style, and there is not a big theatre.

- Age is a bit higher than Celebrity.  

- The decor is a bit older. 

Seabourns vibe is more modern than classical luxury @ Regent I would say. 

• Like 1

Good morning everyone. 

Like many, I have moved on from Celebrity.

Now patronize Oceania. I am currently on Insignia at Nanortaik, Greenland. Oceania is providing a 1st class product of class, decorum, informative talks, gracious service, wide variety of excellent food. No complaints.

I hope the photo is attached of the amazing high tea in the Horizons forward lounge - yes, everyone has a high forward view, you hear that Celebrity. An amazing space, fortunately the M and S class still have similar.

I do not make purchase decisions regarding based on the cost of a cruise, I am fortunate that way.

I purchase based on the product offering.

My key points:

* No cruise line is perfect

* All are cutting back, including Oceania, minimally though

* The mass lines are focusing on class apartheid and inward looking design to enhanced revenue generation. Linkage to the sea is increasingly minimized

* Celebrity is trending towards the 1st time cruiser who has 0 knowledge of the previous product. So long time customers are noting the changes and cut backs

* Loyalty is not rewarded much today

* Celebrity has reduced space for the non suite class and that includes the elimination of forward views on the E series forward. That was a key reason Celebrity was cancelled

Depending upon what you enjoy, Oceania would be great for customers who value unique itineraries, excellent food and service, quiet private time for reading and walking, low key entertainment, informative lectures, smaller ships, high level of service from staff and, the full run of the ship for all, with the exception of a small private suite and concierge lounge on O's two largest vessels.

O is class, not crass.

Happy cruising.

20230815_160253.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, stan1980 said:

I am a experienced Celebrity cruiser, and have absolutely positive (if not better) experiences with Seabourn.

Seabourn is more exclusive, there is not the constant upselling with "only today" promotions, which I find very annoying and tacky at Celebrity. 

Everything is inclusive, their "basic" wine selection is very very good. One night at the MDR, we were asked by our waiter if we liked the wine, so he could send a bottle up to our room (complimentary!).

They don't know No for an answer. If they don't have it in a bar, they will get it for you at a different bar if they have time and you're kind. 

Unlimited caviar & *real* champagne. Once per cruise a signature event is included. For us it was an evening classical concert in the ruins of Ephesus in turkey. Seabourn rented the whole site, so there were only Seabourn guests there, and all drinks were included.

- Small ship

Sounds wonderful.  Unfortunately I have found the price point to be double that of Oceania and many times higher than Celebrity for a veranda.  Might be worth it if I drank alcohol--but I don't.  What you write makes me wish that I did!

"Celebrity has reduced space for the non suite class and that includes the elimination of forward views on the E series forward. That was a key reason Celebrity was cancelled."

I hear you on that.  I recently enjoyed the forward views on Reflection (even though half had been removed for suites).  I know everyone seems to get excited about aft views, but I prefer seeing where we are going rather than where we have been.

• Like 4

I have posted this before, we have 23 days on Silverseas Silver Nova next April Ft Lauderdale to Vancouver in a Deluxe balcony for £4829 per person compared to Edge this October booked October 2021 over £4000 p p for a sky suite 14 days

• Like 3

If you use a TA site that I can't mention, you sort per night you can find some deals and often they are repos/TA/TPs or just super long:

Oceania Rome to Miami, 15 nighter, balcony, BEFORE fees and taxes $3,199/pp 

Azamara Miami to Miami, 14 nighter, balcony, BEFORE fees and taxes $3,993/pp

SilverSeas, Portugal to FLL, 14 nighter, balcony, BEFORE fees and taxes $4,650/pp

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stan1980 said:

- Small ship

Thanks for sharing your experience.  

10 hours ago, jelayne said:

Ive been looking at Regent and Seabourn anyone here have any experience on either of them. 

Both very good but they are twice the price of a X cruise. Unless you normally book a suite on X they will be high quality but expensive compared to a veranda. 

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If you use a TA site that I can't mention, you sort per night you can find some deals and often they are repos/TA/TPs or just super long:

Oceania Rome to Miami, 15 nighter, balcony, BEFORE fees and taxes $3,199/pp 

Azamara Miami to Miami, 14 nighter, balcony, BEFORE fees and taxes $3,993/pp

SilverSeas, Portugal to FLL, 14 nighter, balcony, BEFORE fees and taxes $4,650/pp

Those are prices I want to pay for the cabin not pp 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tfred said:

Both very good but they are twice the price of a X cruise. Unless you normally book a suite on X they will be high quality but expensive compared to a veranda. 

We have been booking primarily suites.  But with the cutbacks in food and service the value is lacking.

• Like 4

Just now, jelayne said:

We have been booking primarily suites.  But with the cutbacks in food and service the value is lacking.

Then I would throw Crystal into the mix. I looked at some Miami based cruises on Crystal and they were very close to X suites. Reviews have been very good. 

1 minute ago, tfred said:

Then I would throw Crystal into the mix. I looked at some Miami based cruises on Crystal and they were very close to X suites. Reviews have been very good. 

I am booked on Crystal too. But after their recent bankruptcy and seeing how many clients lost money, many of us are wary of their financial situation. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

Good morning everyone. 

Like many, I have moved on from Celebrity.

Now patronize Oceania. I am currently on Insignia at Nanortaik, Greenland. Oceania is providing a 1st class product of class, decorum, informative talks, gracious service, wide variety of excellent food. No complaints.

I hope the photo is attached of the amazing high tea in the Horizons forward lounge - yes, everyone has a high forward view, you hear that Celebrity. An amazing space, fortunately the M and S class still have similar.

I do not make purchase decisions regarding based on the cost of a cruise, I am fortunate that way.

I purchase based on the product offering.

My key points:

* No cruise line is perfect

* All are cutting back, including Oceania, minimally though

* The mass lines are focusing on class apartheid and inward looking design to enhanced revenue generation. Linkage to the sea is increasingly minimized

* Celebrity is trending towards the 1st time cruiser who has 0 knowledge of the previous product. So long time customers are noting the changes and cut backs

* Loyalty is not rewarded much today

* Celebrity has reduced space for the non suite class and that includes the elimination of forward views on the E series forward. That was a key reason Celebrity was cancelled

Depending upon what you enjoy, Oceania would be great for customers who value unique itineraries, excellent food and service, quiet private time for reading and walking, low key entertainment, informative lectures, smaller ships, high level of service from staff and, the full run of the ship for all, with the exception of a small private suite and concierge lounge on O's two largest vessels.

O is class, not crass.

Happy cruising.

20230815_160253.jpg

Every hotel and airline have facilities for upper level or suite guests that are not available for everyone. They are walled off. It’s simple- pay more and you get more.   Do you fly business class?  Generally that means a curtained off section and internationally a private lounge. Do you not use those when you fly ?  

also - apartheid generally means racial segregation ( look it up) and that is not the case on board a ship. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I am booked on Crystal too. But after their recent bankruptcy and seeing how many clients lost money, many of us are wary of their financial situation. 

I lost lots of money due to the Crystal bankruptcy, but the reviews of the new Crystal have been very strong. I wouldn't hesitate booking them again. Their current financial situation under the new owners I believe is strong. 

Edited by Orator
  • Like 3