Best of Italy and Croatia - which date to choose

Mrsfrz

We are trying to decide whether to do the April 23, 2024 or August 26, 2024 departure. I know the weather will be cooler in April. This will be the first sailing after the refurbishment is completed. The August one is risky as far as how hot it will be, but we can get an aft facing cabin that we love on that and not the April one. That's not a dealbreaker though. The cost is more for the August sailing, but it would give us more time to save. Any thoughts that would help us decide which one to choose? 

Nothing more than an opinion but we had a sunset veranda on Reflection on a similar itinerary last year and it was really great. Can’t say that the reg veranda would have been lesser. The heat might be a factor though so April might be a good time and be less busy with tourists. 

• Thanks 1

Sounds like you really do want the aft facing cabin. For me what would make the decision is to see how flights are priced for the two. It’s a little early for the August flights to be available to check right now however but I’d guess they’d be more expensive in August. If you went with the April one you could always keep an eye out for an aft cabin or for an upgrade so it’s not like you are locked out of it completely. But if it’s the cabin that’s the most important then you have your answer 😉

36 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I would go for the better April weather myself...

Second on this.  August can get really hot  and it is the end of the summer season so things are likely to be more crowded and expensive.  Only you can decide how much the aft cabin means to you.  We have always gone with regular verandas and enjoyed them.

• Like 2

August is when the Italians have whole month off, and makes everything very busy everywhere, combined with super hot weather. For this itinerary, ideally May/June or September, but, April definitely over August every time... Excursions would mean lots of waiting in traffic in August, queues to get into attractions etc. April is spring time, very pretty and much less crowded (assuming its not Easter week)    

• Like 2

We did the Reflection cruise last August and the temps in Rome was over 100F when we arrived and it was really hot in the 90'sFin all the ports we visited. August is not only hot but the most crowded tourist month of the year in the places visited. I would 100% say April and May are the best times to go.  I live in South Texas and we have had over 50, 100+ days this summer, but we have great AC and it was really hot walking around last year on the cruise.

• Like 2

On the late August option I definitely would not prioritize an aft cabin. The last time we had an SV cabin was last year, early September, in Greece/Italy/Turkey. The balcony was unbearably hot. We had to leave the curtains closed all day. I sat on the balcony maybe 10 minutes in 11 days. 

First sailings after an extensive dry dock occasionally have finishing work during the sailing.  As for August … having lived in Italy, my experience is crowded and HOT.  Much of Europe vacations during the month of August.  My personal Mediterranean criteria is no visits between early May and late September.  Best experience is off season when the heat and crowds are absent.

There is no way I would do a Italian cruise in august , April should be a fine time, there is lots of walking and if you are going to see the Vatican or other churches shorts are not allowed and need to cover shoulders , I wouldn’t do June to September.

• Like 1

It depends on what your focus of the trip will be. In April, you won't be sitting out by the pool on sea days or going to beaches.  If you're going to sightsee though, that's preferable.  It can also be smoldering hot in Venice in the summer (late August).  

We are on the Aug 26 2024 sailing as coming from the UK we like to have some sun on our back when on holiday and therefore April may be a little cool for us. If there are crowds (and lets be honest crowds are everywhere) this has never put us off in the past and wont do in the future. As for children on the ship I would imagine most schools will have returned at this time of the year as the cruise will also be entering into the first week of September. 

The ports we are visiting should be great and ideal for either beach in August or some nice sightseeing.

PS We will also be Aft......always aft.

Enjoy.

Edited by gordylad
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

It depends on what your focus of the trip will be. In April, you won't be sitting out by the pool on sea days or going to beaches.  If you're going to sightsee though, that's preferable.  It can also be smoldering hot in Venice in the summer (late August).  

I had a pool day in March on a Mediterranean cruise.

• Thanks 1

Definitely April for all the reasons which most responders

have referred to. August is much too hot and too crowded. 

The only possible April disadvantage I can think of is that if

you have a day or days on the beach the sea won’t be

as warm as August.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrsfrz said:

We made a decision! April 23 it is! Now to plan excursions. Thanks for all your input. 

Great choice. Do you know if the new European Visa requirements be applicable to cruises?