updates for Australia cruise ship covid protocols

52 minutes ago, Busy Mum said:

That is also what I’m wondering! We are leaving on the 11th Sept on Ponant for a Kimberley cruise & I’m wondering if we will need to do a RAT to get onboard? We are fully (5 shots) vaccinated. 🙂

I would check with Ponant. I think they've had their own requirements regarding covid protocols regardless of the country being sailed in. I'm booked for Ponant for February departing from Argentina so will be interested to hear.

2 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I would check with Ponant. I think they've had their own requirements regarding covid protocols regardless of the country being sailed in. I'm booked for Ponant for February departing from Argentina so will be interested to hear.

Thanks LittleFish1976, I’ll let you know when we return. If I should forget, please remind me! Vicki. 🤪🤪

7 hours ago, possum52 said:

Won't Queensland have to sign off on it too? The other states too?

There is some info on the QLD equivalent page now, updated today, confirming that the East Coast and WA protocols no longer exist. Once the states using it agreed it was no longer needed, it just had to be removed. 

https://www.business.qld.gov.au/industries/hospitality-tourism-sport/tourism/qld/cruise-tourism/covid-protocols

The Communicable Disease Network Australia National Guidelines for Cruising in Australia have been rescinded following a statement to support safe cruising which was published by the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) on 25 August 2023.

This statement has triggered removal of the Eastern Seaboard and Western Australian Cruise Protocols (the Protocols) which have been voluntarily implemented by cruise operators.

This means there are no requirements for the cruise sector to apply these Protocols as of 25 August 2023.

Cruise operators should continue to check with jurisdictional authorities about specific requirements, including risk mitigation strategies, for cruise operators to minimise the transmission of communicable diseases including COVID-19, other acute respiratory infections and gastroenteritis.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

There is some info on the QLD equivalent page now, updated today, confirming that the East Coast and WA protocols no longer exist. Once the states using it agreed it was no longer needed, it just had to be removed. 

https://www.business.qld.gov.au/industries/hospitality-tourism-sport/tourism/qld/cruise-tourism/covid-protocols

The Communicable Disease Network Australia National Guidelines for Cruising in Australia have been rescinded following a statement to support safe cruising which was published by the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) on 25 August 2023.

This statement has triggered removal of the Eastern Seaboard and Western Australian Cruise Protocols (the Protocols) which have been voluntarily implemented by cruise operators.

This means there are no requirements for the cruise sector to apply these Protocols as of 25 August 2023.

Cruise operators should continue to check with jurisdictional authorities about specific requirements, including risk mitigation strategies, for cruise operators to minimise the transmission of communicable diseases including COVID-19, other acute respiratory infections and gastroenteritis.

Thanks Geoff. 

• Like 1

Hi guys, this is wonderful information, I learn so much from Cruise Critic, thank you. I'd appreciate if someone would post confirmation when Princess lifts protocols for cruising, I can't be sure Princess'd bother to tell me, too busy trying to flog me packages! 🛳 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Hi guys, this is wonderful information, I learn so much from Cruise Critic, thank you. I'd appreciate if someone would post confirmation when Princess lifts protocols for cruising, I can't be sure Princess'd bother to tell me, too busy trying to flog me packages! 🛳 

They have, and it looks like Australia specific info has been moved from their site. They posted on their social media in the wee hours that they applaud the changes. Still unclear, passengers have asked questions around embarkation, with this reply:

"Following the announcement by the Australian government (sic), at embarkation, we no longer require proof of COVID vaccination or pre-embarkation COVID testing".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

Maybe it is also time for Princess to drop the plus package mandate? 😉

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

Looks like no changes to P&O website so far. 

Nor Carnival.au. These are the two AU specific sites, and it might take them days to update it, but they no longer require proof of a vaccine or a negative test.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Nor Carnival.au. These are the two AU specific sites, and it might take them days to update it, but they no longer require proof of a vaccine or a negative test.

YES!!!!! 🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Correct

Magic, looks like we have done very well so far, the wife and I have never had to take a test and fingers crossed we never have to. Might try and sell all all the covid test kits the gov gave me on Ebay.😂

Edited by JohnGc
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Magic, looks like we have done very well so far, the wife and I have never had to take a test and fingers crossed we never have to. Might try and sell all all the covid test kits the gov gave me on Ebay.😂

I wouldn't do that too soon. COVID is still around. I'm keeping mine in case I need to check if I have flu or COVID. It will make a difference for medication.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

I wouldn't do that too soon. COVID is still around. I'm keeping mine in case I need to check if I have flu or COVID. It will make a difference for medication.

Yes I will be doing the same, only problem is I have had them too long and soon they will be out of date.

Email just received from Princess:

"You love travel, and we love making it simple to fulfill those dreams. So we're happy to report that effective immediately, the requirements to join a cruise from Australia will now align with all other cruises globally without vaccination or pre-cruise testing requirements.

This protocol shift applies to itineraries to all destinations sailing to or from an Australian port.

We can't wait to create new memories with you on your upcoming voyage!"

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JohnGc said:

Yes I will be doing the same, only problem is I have had them too long and soon they will be out of date.

Mine are good 'till January. I've had them over a year and used one last June whilst in Alaska when I had the sniffles. Negative.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Mine are good 'till January. I've had them over a year and used one last June whilst in Alaska when I had the sniffles. Negative.

Yes the same. My ones run out in January. Next cruise is February so I will have to buy some so we can check as needed. 

Edited by JohnGc
  • Like 1

Just now, cruiser3775 said:

Not sure you have to pay for them. My local council is handing them out for free at the moment, as long as you go along and pick them up yourself.

Interesting I will find out about that. Thank's.

4 hours ago, JohnGc said:

Be sure to double check the expiration dates before pitching.  I found that some of mine have had the dated extended more than once and if I hadn't checked (again) I would have discarded tests that were still good.  At-Home OTC COVID-19 Diagnostic Tests | FDA

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, pompeii said:

Be sure to double check the expiration dates before pitching.  I found that some of mine have had the dated extended more than once and if I hadn't checked (again) I would have discarded tests that were still good.  At-Home OTC COVID-19 Diagnostic Tests | FDA

I actually have 2 boxes that I have a date stamped on of 2024 but I am not sure if the extension is from that date . On the extension list it shows the make I have is extended for 18 months and then has a date next to it for the 14th Feb 2023. Not sure if the extension is from the date stamp on the box or the 2023 one on the list. Was going to ask the chemist some time this week.

Clungene  APAC Security Pty.Ltd.

/www.tga.gov.au/products/covid-19/covid-19-tests/covid-19-rapid-antigen-self-tests-home-use/covid-19-rapid-antigen-self-tests-are-approved-australia

Edited by JohnGc